• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello all, new member needs some help.

AlexIverson

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Hello all. I am rather new to long range shooting, my buddy got me into it and I want to do more of it. We were hitting targets at 600-700-800 yards, I am really good at math so from what I am reading the "Doping the scope" and getting the ballistics wont be hard for me...

My question is, I have about $24,000 to drop on this new hobby.

Is their any rifle I should be looking at?

I was looking at the rifles McMillan and Barrett produce, mostly the .338 Lapua caliber.

MY Question is... How would you spend my money??

Welcome.
Don't need to spent that much.
Do you plan on reloading?
If so, you can be all in with a custom rifle, high end scope and reloading equipment for well under 7K.
Personally, I would start slow, get one good rifle, buy loaded ammo from one of SH vendors, and learn the ropes.

Welcome.
Don't need to spent that much.
Do you plan on reloading?
If so, you can be all in with a custom rifle, high end scope and reloading equipment for well under 7K.
Personally, I would start slow, get one good rifle, buy loaded ammo from one of SH vendors, and learn the ropes.

Okay thank you for the reply! I was wondering, which brands should I look at? I'm really set on a .338 Lapua Magnum and yes I do plan on reloading, I do reload for all of my hunting rifles.

Send 2K to that Goatman feller!!LOL Seriously though, Too many questions, how much experience you have, ever shoot the magnums before, do you want to drop a load on a rifle or shoot? Knew a guy who bought a custom mauser, didn't have the money for ammo. Do you want to spend $7 a pop for lapua or $1.25 for 338 win mag, which has better ballistics anyway. Money doesn't seem to be a problem NOW, but the future??

Send 2K to that Goatman feller!!LOL Seriously though, Too many questions, how much experience you have, ever shoot the magnums before, do you want to drop a load on a rifle or shoot? Knew a guy who bought a custom mauser, didn't have the money for ammo. Do you want to spend $7 a pop for lapua or $1.25 for 338 win mag, which has better ballistics anyway. Money doesn't seem to be a problem NOW, but the future??

Yes I have shot quite a few of large bore rifles, like the .416 Taylor and .375 RUM, I want to shoot, and I know the prices of the .338 Lapua magnum and I already know how to reload so I can manage that.. And Money isn't a problem for me, nor will it be in the future ;)

I work as a programmer for video games, and computer programs.

sounds like you need a new friend...me...haha...find a great custom rifle builder and have him build one for you..get his ideas. There are several great custom builders out there and I think all will tell you with that kind of money they might just get you in a few great guns.

.260 aiax, spur mount, schmidt and bender scope, atlas bipod, 10 extra ten round mags, coax reloading press, high end dies, two rcbs digital powder dispensers, and all the other equipment needed. A Leupold spotter with mildot. Classes on both shooting and reloading.

.338 Lapua is just not needed until you get past 1200 yards.

Is that 24,000 with 3 zeros? I'd buy an f&d and put a countersniper on top, then order a couple alpine gw chassis' and then donate the rest to the CMP

sounds like you need a new friend...me...haha...find a great custom rifle builder and have him build one for you..get his ideas. There are several great custom builders out there and I think all will tell you with that kind of money they might just get you in a few great guns.

Okay thanks!! That would be AWESOME! I'd love to have a collection

I would have to get me a ma-duece 50 cal fully automatic and a few junk cars I could blow up! All kidding aside, not really, I would get an arctic warfare in 338 with the s@b 5x25 with all the best of the other goodies. Don't think you would go wrong their, or get gap to build you one.

Now THIS is a question I don't see every day!

With that price range your options are pretty much unlimited. That being said, some of the best things you can do are:

1: Start handling any and every LR rifle you can find. Learn what feels comfortable TO YOU. Everyone is a little different.

2: Once you find a rifle you like, pick up a good optic. Once again, look and handle as many as you can. Different reticles, different knobs...there are a lot of options out there and each has the lovers and haters.

3: Take a class. Shooting on your own at a range is excellent, but having a trained instructor help guide you is incredibly helpful. Then take that training and continue practicing it on your own.

As for rifles, there are plenty of great options these days. Accuracy International, Sako, GA Precision, Desert Tactical Arms, Tactical Operations, and more custom builders than I care to think of. Heck, even Remington can build some decent rifles when they want to. Things to consider: weight, how does the rifle feel, will it work for the accessories you want to use?

Scopes: Plenty of good brands as well. Schmidt and Bender, Steiner, Hensoldt, Nightforce, Kahles, Premier... research is your friend. reticle choice, illumination, and focal plane are the deciding factors here.

I hope this is a bit of help. I/We can be more in-depth if you need.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction!

OP may have more money than sense or full of it...

For 24K hire a professional consultant to advise you!

I think this may be "October Fools"!?!