• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hello Home window install help needed

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
Hello all. Any expirenced window installers out there. I could use some advise. I will be changing 6 windows in my basement before getting some stucco work done on the house. My question is how to remove the old frame from the openings. From what I can see the windows are new construction style with the flange that is nailed to the studs. I have changed some other ones but they had wood trim that was removable to access the flange to remove the nails.
From the outside of the house the outer edges of the window frame are visible and in places I can see the mounting flange. In other spots the frame is up against the rough opening so there is no space to access the flange to cut it. After the windows were installed the bottom concrete sill was poured and on 4 windows the concrete covers the front on the the window frame. So I know I will have to use a masonry saw to cut away some of that concrete to bring the rough opening back to the correct dimensions and free the bottom part of the frame.
On the inside of the house the window wells are dry walled up to the window frame. so I don't want to mess with that side of the opening.
With the exception of the concrete poured on the lower part of the opening after the windows were installed. It appears all I need to do is cut the mounting flange or try to pull it out/off of the studs after cutting away the unneeded concrete in the way. My question is how to deal with the frame. Do you use a sawsall, toe kick saw, crowbar? The frame is about 1.25 wide so it does not leave too much room on the back side of the flange if I try to use a sawsall to cut the flange and leave it in the rough opening. If there are not too many nails I may be able to pry up the frame off of the nails in the studs. Any help is appreciated. Chris
4 of them look like this
windows010.jpg

This window sits flush on the concrete. On others the concrete is poured up to or over the first lip on the bottom of the frame.
windows002.jpg

This is the where the gap is widest where I can look in and see the mounting flange. Most of the frames are flush with the opening so there is no gap to squeeze a saw blade in to try to cut the flange.
windows011.jpg

This is the other 2 windows. They have a steel frame and are a diffrent style than the aluminium framed ones.
windows004.jpg

The lower part is really covered with cement on these. it is about 1inch up over the steel frame.
windows008.jpg

This is how tall the frame is on the top of the window.
windows007.jpg

Re: Hello Home window install help needed

Run a sawzall in between the 2x's and concrete then pull it out as one whole piece. Then simply reinstall new 2x's for backing. I would also knock at the poured concrete below as it's a cold joint so it would come away from the block fairly easily and then re-pour simply mortar in bricks for an nice base and cosmetics... Just an idea...

Someone put a form board in front of the bottom sill and poured a concrete curb perhaps to keep puddling out or deflect hockey pucks?

Once the curb is demo'd out, a angle grinder with a thin metal cutting disc will make short order out of whatever fastener is holding the window (Fin or flange) to the bucks attached to the block, lintel and sill.

You'll need to find out precisely what the opening size is to order replacement windows so a little careful dissection will reveal both the best plan of attack as well as provide the sizing necessary for a good fit with the new windows.

Our dear friend Megacab is very experienced in replacement windows. He can help you better than I.

Being in Colorado your probably going with vinyl. Vinyl replacement or new construction frames are 3.25" in depth "vs" an aluminum frame at 1.25"
Unless you are prepared for drywall/plaster demo take your replacement window measurements from inside (drywall to drywall and drywall to sill). Three measurements on the width: top ,middle, and bottom taking the smallest measurement. Same with the height. If you need to add bucking for a (fin)(wood frame) application it can be taped and covered with expanded metal with room for a 1/2" to 3/4" application of stucco. The body/frame of your new windows will project further into the window opening bypassing your drywall return measurements. Just caulk or trim the gaps and your done with the inside

The only place we see steel down here ( not including commercial ) is in brick over stick construction and it's only at the top, looks like you have it along the bottom in one of your pictures.

Thanks guys. I spoke with a company today and the guy said to cut the flange with a saw where ever possible and the areas where I can just rip out the frame by any means necessary. I also spoke with the stucco guy and he said do what I need to do to get the windows in and if the concrete needs patching or cleaning up he can do it before they do the stucco. The top part of one of the rough openings has some missing concrete on the front corner. He is going to repair it before doing the stucco so it is not an issue to patch up any other areas that may need it.
As for the steel frames there are only 2 of those. I am not sure how they are installed. One way or another I will get them out.

Oh, I forgot. I will be going with vinyl windows and the guy told me to install them with 2 screws per side going into the cynderblock and not to use any on the top or bottom. He said the plastic expands and contracts with temp. He also said besides caulk if I decided to use any expanding foam for insulation to make sure to use the water based stuff. I have no idea what kind that is. I have only ever used greatstuff in the past.

Get the minimally expanding foam to prevent amazing warpage!

And remember the first two backbones to the construction industry:

1) Caulking

2) It was like that!

As Q.Q. said, be careful with the expanding foam. I believe the blue can (Great Stuff) is for doors and windows. It can actually bow the frame and cause your window to bind as it continues to expand for up to three days.

Another thing to be careful doing is to make sure that you don't suck the sides of the window frame out to far. Use shims.

Mac,
I would stay away from the water based foam. I have seen to many problems with that stuff. Heed the advice about the minimal expanding faom it is your best bet.

Started with the masonry saw today. The concrete cuts fairly easy. I estimate it will only take about an hour to cut all the openings enough to access the bottom part of the frames. It will be interesting to see how hard it is to get the old frames out.

Crap I thought you were talking about re-installing your operating system.

Can't help ya on real windows LOL