• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help a new guy with a tripod selection

Emmersom Biggens

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2018
Locust Grove, Ga
Hey guys. I’m a greenhorn in the precision world. I’m in the market for a top notch tripod setup for predator hunting and some future PRS endeavors. I’ve looked at so many and read so many articles I’ve basically got information overload. I keep getting directed to the RRS products. I’m ok with spending the money, but don’t want to over do it. I’m mounting an Accurate Ordnance TMR with a McMillan A5 ( if that matters) I know there are several pieces to the puzzle. Is there a kit from RRS that will include everything I need? I’m ready to pull the trigger! Thanks in advance for helping out a newby.

PVA tripod is good. Have seen in person, but don't own. I would if I didn't already own one.

I will say get a mounting/attachment system that you like and are fast with. Good tripod = nearly as good as prone for precision and obviously a whole lot better Field of View (FOV). If you are fast with the system, its a very good solution.

The mounting solution I like is the RRS TA-3 Leveling Base. The arm on the underside allows up and down, left to right adjustment plus tension, which makes it very fast. This goes into a Swiss ARCA plate on the forend of my Manners stock. Is this the best system out there? I don't know, but it works for me - very fast and very precise. (Note with the TA-3: you will need a tripod that has a 75mm "video bowl" like the RRS tripods have, as do the PVAs.)

Best of luck

if you have the coin and want the best, RRS is it... keep in mind you will also need ballhead or leveling base and other accessories. Be sure to budget and check compatibility.

Reactions: Emmersom Biggens
I spent some serious coin on a RRS tripod and was nervous about whether or not I would kick myself later on. Not so. It is a game changer. I added rails to a number of rifles and with a shooting pillow it is rock steady from kneeling or sitting and very stabil standing.

Tested it in the field last weekend with a hunting/comp rifle. It worked so well that I will never go hunting without it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...y-milehigh-its-a-shooter.6871206/post-7288348

The PVA tripod with RRS leveling base and VYCE. I don’t see how any other setup could be as more effective as this.

I bought the vyce so I can use with a variety of different weapons as well as let my buddies use if need be.

I will be using this for PRS and obviously predator hunting. This photo was from my first set this morning with the setup.

125 yards. Dead in his tracks. The PVA tripod is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Attachments

• 1ADC2F0A-2B61-4F69-9FDD-58E24DB78218.jpeg
    1ADC2F0A-2B61-4F69-9FDD-58E24DB78218.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
I spent some serious coin on a RRS tripod and was nervous about whether or not I would kick myself later on. Not so. It is a game changer. I added rails to a number of rifles and with a shooting pillow it is rock steady from kneeling or sitting and very stabil standing.

Tested it in the field last weekend with a hunting/comp rifle. It worked so well that I will never go hunting without it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...y-milehigh-its-a-shooter.6871206/post-7288348
Thanks for the info! Nice rig and beautiful hunting ground, by the way. That’s exactly what I need. Would you mind sharing the model of the one you got and the accessories, please? I’m gonna be using a vice head to start with, but do plan on adding a rail soon. Thank you!’

Agree on RRS. Even if you don't have the coin, lend yourself the money and pay yourself back. I used Manfrotto M190 and M055 with 322RC-2 for 2.5 years and they were great $300 setups. Now I use the RRS and my group size is halved. So RRS are 10x Great !! Might be the single most cost effective shooting related purchase I've ever made.

Here's the one I got http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TFCT-34

It works 10x Great ... but for my next one I will consider the BH-40 head.

==

dinging steel in the rain off RRS at 750yds a couple of weeks ago ... with NF 7-35x T3 on 7.62(22) ... 12x24 IPSC (2/3) target

45164413621_b46f201fdc_k.jpg

30226109327_017bdd60af_k.jpg

45165499031_7f837957b4_k.jpg

==
Dinging steel yesterday on the 6x6 faces at 500yds ... IPSC (2/3) targets ... same gun same RRS

44542819375_9afe832165_k.jpg

44542844395_ce0b2d06d3_k.jpg

31582192418_f8014a0a58_k.jpg

RRS is the way to go. I use mine for hunting and I dont know of any other set up I rather have.

Give them a call. Mike (i hope i got name right) will be more than happy to discuss your use of the tri pod, rifles, and any other ways you might use the tri pod. For instance camera and spotting scope mounts. You truly can take the RRS tri pod and deploy everything in your pack with one set up.

wigwamitus

If your area is relatively flat like in the images, even a bit more hilly the leveling base is more stable than the Anvil. You can make it work for high angle shooting, but there is a time penalty over the Anvil 30 because you' have to adjust one leg height.

Stability it goes like this (least to most stable): BH40 > Anvil 30 > Leveling Base
Weight it (heaviest to lightest): BH40 > (Leveling Base=Anvil 30)
Transport Bulkiest to most compact: BH40 > Leveling Base > Anvil 30
Flexibility of mounting options without modification: (Leveling Base=BH40) > Anvil 30

Personal (only) observations in operation:
Leveling Base:
I find the leveling base easier to control, a bit easier add downward weight between the tripod and faster to get the perfect tension I want and it will tend to stay on target better.

Anvil 30:
With the Anvil 30 I also have the needed concern not to release the wrong lever - the levers are very different in size - but the are both levers and they are on the wrong side for a left handed shooter so we shoot them backwards on the support side.

BH40:
If I was really concern about the perfect pan shot, this might be the way to go. But I have yet to see the animals I hunt every run perfectly level perpendicular to my setup. - the other two work just fine.

All that said, I am using the Anvil 30 - but there are times when I miss the leveling base seating at home.

Reactions: wigwamitus
Diver ... aye ...

==
When I first got the Anvil ... I was more worried about the pan ... but I've gotten used to "partial" pressure and I can now pan fine. So maybe the Anvil 30 is fine for me, but I wouldn't mind trying the BH40 ... just in case.

==
As to "flat" ... well, in my experience the terrain looks flatter in the pics than it does in real like. The "Flint Hills" of Kansas are NOT like Western Kansas where things are literally flat as a pancake for miles. For instance, in that first pic in my previous post I am near the top of hill 1309 (1309 feet above SL) and shooting down over a creek which is 1150 feet above SL at a target in the side of a hill which is back up to a level that has me shooting 4 degrees down angle for the shots in question. Now that certainly is not the Himalaya ... but it is not flat as a pancake either :)

A shot over 10 degrees would be pretty rare around here. And for me that only happens when I'm shooting rats at around 10yds or less at night.

==
Sounds like I need to try a leveling base also :)

==
I mostly shoot at night, so learning which lever was which by feel on the Anvil-30 was pretty critical !!! :D

It took longer to work out a technique to get the pic rail into the Anvil 30 quickly and correctly by feel also, but I've got that down now. I have wondered if the "attachments" help with that.

Emmerson,

to answer your question above I purchased the RRS TFCT-24L with the Anvil-30 ballhead. I (fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) live 10 minutes from MileHigh. I spent some time with them and they showed me all of the ins and outs and trade-offs of the various tripods on display. Frank Gali happened to be there and was adamant that the TFCT-24L was the best bang for the buck in terms of stability vs. weight vs. portability vs. utility. He and the MileHigh guys get to try everything so I based my decision on their collective experience. (Note that some of the shooters at MileHigh own 3-4 different tripods as a result of trying to get to the perfect setup, you should call them they can explain the trade-offs and help you figure out what is best for your needs.)

I was going to get the universal vyce mount but Adam who is a very accomplished competitive steel shooter said that that adding a rail to the rifle and directly mounting to the anvil-30 ball head is noticeably more rigid/stable than the vyce so I used the money that I saved on the vyce and mounted rails on 4 of my match rifles.

One of the ingenious design features of the anvil-30 is that it will accept the ARC rail AND a picatinny rail so all of my AR's with quad rails just work on the tripod.

I can't comment on other tripods or set ups but I have experimented with this RRS tri-pdod from prone, sitting, reverse-kneeling and standing positions. It is as stable as a bi-pod prone (but more cumbersome). kneeling and and sitting w/a shooting pillow are 95-98% as stable as prone, standing surprisingly stable (requires practice) - here is a between action shot:

You have to experiment and practice shooting the tripod to find out what works best. Like I said above, I found that it is a game changer in terms of stabilizing your shooting platform in the field - worth every penny of the ridiculous amount I paid for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabarNC
Anyone running the Hogsaddle field tripod? I get its not as fancy as some other options, but price point is sure nice.

Grabbing the "right" lever on the Anvil-30 is an issue. I had to reverse my locking lever on the ballhead so that it locks forward and the release lever locks backwards to make it harder to grab and release wrong lever.

Diver ... aye ...

It took longer to work out a technique to get the pic rail into the Anvil 30 quickly and correctly by feel also, but I've got that down now. I have wondered if the "attachments" help with that.

I find the dovetail (aka ARCA style - but get the1.5" RRS) plates drop into the Anvil 30 quicker/easier than the pic rails. At this point, with your gear, it s all just splitting hairs like on the high end glass..

I can also comment on the RRS leveling base vs. anvil-30 . The leveling base is very stable and very fast to pan lock and shoot; however, I did not go with it for four reasons:

1.) packability - Leveling base tripod is a lot wider than the anvil-30 ball head tripod
2.) Weight
3.) Price - you can save a little with the anvil-30
4.) High angle shots (not really an issue all that often) and you can get by with adjusting one of the legs.

The biggest disadvantage of the Anvil-30 in my experience is that it takes more concentration to "drive" it. It is easy to loosen the ball head lever too much and have the rifle flop over if you don't pay attention. If the ball head locking lever and the rail locking lever are oriented the same its easy to grab the wrong one. Luckily it is trivial to reverse the anvil-30 locking lever so this doesn't happen. The leveling base is more forgiving when swinging the rifle from target to target.

In either case you have to practice with whatever system you get.

Last edited:
Agree you have to practice with ANY new tripod setup. Sort of like any new shooting position?

I've developed the style of reseting the Anvil-30 head after every shot. That has pretty much become automatic by now. I don't even think about it. I reset the gun/head the run the bolt. Seems like it happens pretty fast.

I shot mostly at night, so it isn't about looking at it. I do it by feel.

Reactions: primer
I started out with a manfroto and pistol grip ball head. Then went to an Alamo, finally ended up with a RRS and anvil head. The RRS gear makes it much easier for standing long range engagement. 600y standing on a 33%ipsc is easy now. Plus the RRS is far more quiet for hunting purposes. It costs more but considering the expense of trial and error, it's worth it.

Reactions: wigwamitus
I started out with a manfroto and pistol grip ball head. Then went to an Alamo, finally ended up with a RRS and anvil head. The RRS gear makes it much easier for standing long range engagement. 600y standing on a 33%ipsc is easy now. Plus the RRS is far more quiet for hunting purposes. It costs more but considering the expense of trial and error, it's worth it.

Yup. Pay once and be done with it with no regrets.

The PVA tripod with RRS leveling base and VYCE. I don’t see how any other setup could be as more effective as this.

I bought the vyce so I can use with a variety of different weapons as well as let my buddies use if need be.

I will be using this for PRS and obviously predator hunting. This photo was from my first set this morning with the setup.

125 yards. Dead in his tracks. The PVA tripod is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

I like this setup a lot. I've been considering a tripod quite a bit lately, I think this may be it.

Great timing...I have been digging and researching tripods for several weeks for the Zeiss Harpia 95 Spotting Scope I've been looking for.
Turns out how usable it will be to shoot off of.
I came up with 3 Brands on my list:
RRS and I looked at the TVC 34L, TVC 44 and the TVC 45
Promedia Gear..Good looking stuff and a bit cheaper for same size tripods.
Gitzo.. Nice looking but not in the same league

Started shopping and found a RRS TVC 34L with a RRS BH55 in like new condition for $1100 bucks.
It came in the mail today actually and all I can say is "This is the real Deal"
The build quality is fantastic on the tripod and it is a beautiful piece of equipment. Very heavy duty and sturdy.
The BH 55 Ballhead is the "Shit" it's movement control feels like it's hydraulic.
The tension controls are predictable and repeatable like a high end scope.
Silky smooth movements, I would pay full price for one now that I've handled one.
Used ones can be found in the $350 range if you shop.

Now it's time to get some rails on my rifles and hit the 600 yard range at Phoenix Rod and Gun.. (less than mile from the house)
BYW..When I called RRS and asked for recommendations for scope and rifle, their 1st pick was the TVC34L @ 70"
And the TLC 44 and TVC 45's were just adding more beef and stiffness at a height of 75" and 85"

I still have an eye out for a 45 just because..Good Luck with your quest..

I just received my RRS TVC34/Anvil set-up. I can say that the hype is absolutely real. I was really hoping for a significant improvement over my Manfroto Hog Saddle set up. The difference is night and day, it has well exceeded my hope . Expensive? Yes. But I feel so good about this investment. I was really shocked in the stability difference.