• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range

Santa

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
I'm considering buying a Hell's Canyon Long Range in .300 win mag. I've seen poor reviews from late 2019 of 2-3 MOA+ groupings at 100 yards and I'm trying to get a sense for if those are one-off QC issues or if this rifle is actually that inherently inaccurate. I saw someone found out it had a poor bedding job, which he then had professionally re-done, fixing the issue. I've heard complaints about Brownings "Composite" stock not being strong/rigid enough to hold a heavy sporter barrel in larger calibers. Wondering if anyone can weigh in with first or second person experience: Should these few testimonies deter me from buying, or is this rifle generally a good buy?

My BIL bought an x-bolt in 6.5 Creed that struggles to get to moa with hand loads. He spent 40% less on a Ruger American for my sister in 6.5 that will shoot damn near everything moa.

I wasn't impressed with the browning. I think their main following is fudds that shoot very little and only care that it's minute of deer.

Anything can be fixed, try bedding first, then handloading, then a new barrel.

If you're considering a purchase as opposed to fixing something already bought, why not go with Tikka and have a superbly accurate rifle with good resale?

When I was a kid back in the '60s, Browning was top shelf. Just doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Reactions: Santa
The smaller calibers shoot very well. My BIL has a 6.5 creed and my old man has a 6mm creed. Both shoot as good as expected with factory hornady. The magnums I can not say.

I just picked up an X Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creed last week. Barrel is barely broken in yet, but groups have been around 2 MOA with now three different kinds of factory ammo. Bedding job looks just fine. Fingers crossed I find a load it likes and the groups tighten up...

I just picked up an X Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creed last week. Barrel is barely broken in yet, but groups have been around 2 MOA with now three different kinds of factory ammo. Bedding job looks just fine. Fingers crossed I find a load it likes and the groups tighten up...
Have you tried Hornady precision hunter? That’s what we put through my BIL. The barrels have lots of preservative grease/oil in them as well. Did you wipe that out or shoot it out? Sucks these don’t seem very consistent.

Have you tried Hornady precision hunter? That’s what we put through my BIL. The barrels have lots of preservative grease/oil in them as well. Did you wipe that out or shoot it out? Sucks these don’t seem very consistent.

Took the entire rifle apart when I got it. Degreased everything with solvent, from receiver to bore to bases to rings, lapped and aligned the rings, then put a proven Zeiss Conquest V4 on there and did my barrel break in. It does suck, because otherwise it's a great rifle. Really hoping it's not a dud.

My BIL said he ended up with the 129 Hornady interlock's and r-15 in his 6.5 shooting consistent .75". He never could get the eld-x to shoot at all.

The Ruger is ugly next to the browning, but I notice the browning doesn't leave the safe very often anymore.

Thank you all for the posts, this is all very helpful stuff. I was seriously considering buying this but now I'm not so sure. Keep the posts coming, are there any good reviews for this gun out there? What is a good alternative? $1500 max budget

I hope so too, let me know if you do!

Thank you all for the posts, this is all very helpful stuff. I was seriously considering buying this but now I'm not so sure. Keep the posts coming, are there any good reviews for this gun out there? What is a good alternative? $1500 max budget

Bergara or Tika.

Bergara just released a bunch of new models, and you can't ever go wrong with a T3 for a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
I was going to help my cousin with load development for his X bolt 30-06. Shot the hunting load for my A bolt out of it first and it was right at a minute. Never did the LD. MOA is better than he can shoot. Loaded up 50 and sent him on his way. It isn't the hells canyon, its got a wood stock. No idea on the hells version or magnums.

There is a 300 maybe its a 338 win mag A-bolt with synthetic stock on the used rack at the Cabelas (lone tree) in CO, I think its $500. Bore looked good from a pull the bolt and look at the light standpoint. It has the boss system, same as my 06. A lot of people cursed it and got rid of them. It takes some time to dial in for sure but I have gotten it to shoot .5 moa with any load I wanted to put the time into. If I wanted a real shoulder thumping, powder eating son of a bitch I'd be all over it. My 06 has killed anything Ive ever asked it to so I've never seen the need for more gun.

My dad got a BAR Long-Trac 30-06 about five years ago. Probably the most inaccurate factory rifle I've used. The only round it could get close to MOA with was 125gr. Everything from 150 (factory and handload) and up was 2-4MOA. He purchased it for an elk hunt and put a lot of money into all different types of ammo with no luck. He ended up selling it the next year. He talked a lot about being disappointed because the size weight and recoil were great. Just couldn't shoot. He even sent it off to Browning to have it checked. They sent it back with two 1" groups @ 50 yards and said it was in spec. I know its apples to oranges with the semi-auto, and maybe a unique situation, but I'll have a hard time ever buying a Browning again expecting accuracy. As others have said about small calibers, the wife has an A-Bolt in .223 WSSM that shoots fine.

Got a buddy who picked one up. Not sure where he stands on it yet. He wants to find some decent rings and base for it. What can be used for this gun?

I have had 2 xbolts. Still have a 243, that rifle shoots better than i do....i’ve shot 1 inch groups at 300 off of sandbags. Didnt really seem finicky on loads, either. The only downside is the 105 match bullets are a no go. Rifling aint fast enough to stabilize them. 105 round nose do just fine-but the groups do open up a smidge.

Had a 300 short mag, and that rifle shot extremely well also. That rifle i giffted to a family member.

My experience with x bolts has been very good overall.

I have three tikkas, 30-06, 7 rem and 6.5 cm, all shot sub moa with multiple weights of factory ammo the first time I shot them to zero the scopes. 2moa isn't that good these days. That being said I have a friend that couldn't do better than 2 moa with his AI 300 win mag. It wasn't the rifle, I took it and shot a one hold group and I"m not that good. :D

I have three tikkas, 30-06, 7 rem and 6.5 cm, all shot sub moa with multiple weights of factory ammo the first time I shot them to zero the scopes. 2moa isn't that good these days. That being said I have a friend that couldn't do better than 2 moa with his AI 300 win mag. It wasn't the rifle, I took it and shot a one hold group and I"m not that good. :D

Nah 2 MOA is pretty pitiful for a thousand dollar gun that is put together correctly with high quality components. My Howa 1500 that I put together for $450, chambered in the anemic and outdated .308, was grouping significantly better. To be fair, I was shooting lighter ammo and two of three loads were copper monolithics. Will see how she likes some 140 factory stuff before firing the reloading setup up.

Bergara or Tika.

Bergara just released a bunch of new models, and you can't ever go wrong with a T3 for a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the recommendations Chevy_Man! I took a hard look at those two. Here I am being pretty picky: I'm trying to keep the naked rifle under 8.5 lbs so while I like everything else about the Bergara, it's 10 lbs is a bit much. The Tikka's all have 1:11 twist rates which seemed strange for a large caliber, what drew me initially to Browning was they 1:8 twist on their X-bolts, I'd like somewhere 1:8-1:10. I'm probably going to have to give on something at some point, I thought the X-Bolt had it all but then I started noticing a trend in mediocre to poor reviews on it. Might be back to the drawing board. Are Savage 110's any good? like the 110 Long Range?

Last edited:
This is the wrong place to ask about Savage.

I personally have had good luck with them. The extractor and ejector are maintenance items and can be had through Brownells.

They usually shoot very good. Mediocre ejection and an unrefined bolt feel are the main complaints.

I have been blown away at the accuracy I have gotten out of all the cheap Savages I have done load development for. Haven't seen one yet that didn't shoot minute or less without much hassle.

I'm considering buying a Hell's Canyon Long Range in .300 win mag. I've seen poor reviews from late 2019 of 2-3 MOA+ groupings at 100 yards and I'm trying to get a sense for if those are one-off QC issues or if this rifle is actually that inherently inaccurate. I saw someone found out it had a poor bedding job, which he then had professionally re-done, fixing the issue. I've heard complaints about Brownings "Composite" stock not being strong/rigid enough to hold a heavy sporter barrel in larger calibers. Wondering if anyone can weigh in with first or second person experience: Should these few testimonies deter me from buying, or is this rifle generally a good buy?
I just got the xbolt LR in 6.5 prc and so far the velocities are consistent but have yet to try groups. Hopefully it shoots well but I wish I would have asked this group before purchasing.

Thanks for the recommendations Chevy_Man! I took a hard look at those two. Here I am being pretty picky: I'm trying to keep the naked rifle under 8.5 lbs so while I like everything else about the Bergara, it's 10 lbs is a bit much. The Tikka's all have 1:11 twist rates which seemed strange for a large caliber, what drew me initially to Browning was they 1:8 twist on their X-bolts, I'd like somewhere 1:8-1:10. I'm probably going to have to give on something at some point, I thought the X-Bolt had it all but then I started noticing a trend in mediocre to poor reviews on it. Might be back to the drawing board. Are Savage 110's any good? like the 110 Long Range?

Update for ya Santa- Tried some factory 140 grain stuff. Real deal 1/2-3/4MOA groups, repeatably. I actually like everything about the rifle so far, minus the tang safety which I can get used to. With the McCarbo spring, the trigger is close to indistinguishable from the Triggertech on the rifle I was shooting next to it. As long as I can get it to group copper monolithics, she's a solid "keeper."

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.36.11 AM.png

Reactions: Santa and 10ring1

Howdy @Santa I just responded to a similar thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/browning-x-bolt-opinions.7008238/ (Not sure if that link thingy works here as I'm newish to the HIde) Not wanting to spam shit all over, but I do not see a decision on your part, so I thought I'd drop this here in case you wanted a follow up. I have been crabby at lack of Browning info this year - just sayin'.

Hope to have much to say early into October.

-Sapper

Reactions: Darryle
Brownings shoot well but you need to keeep them clean they tend copper up badly. Have a Hells CCanyon in a 6.5 creed it shoots sub MOA but you need to keep it clean.

I own an x-bolt stainless stalker 308, a Hells Canyon LR in 300wsm and my brother has the Hells Canyon LR in 7mm and 300wm
All of them shoot sub MOA. My 300wsm shoots Federal Premium trophy bonded 180gr ammo under an moa. It shoots 190gr accubond lr handloads with hybridv100 into one ragged hole: when I do my part.
My brother was so impressed with my 300wsm he bought the 7mm and after a year of looking for one, finally bought the 300wm. His 7mm will shoot one ragged hole and he’s expecting the same out of the 300. Him and I both owned 300wm A-Bolts and they were great shooters as well.
The triggers are the best factory ones I’ve shot and easy to adjust.

Reactions: Not a Sniper
I just saw your post. I don't know about the. 300 Win Mag, but I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor Hell's Canyon Long Range just this week. I put on a Vortex Crossfire II scope, cleaned the new barrel before shooting it for the first time, and I did not see the need in adjusting the trigger as it was very crisp with zero creep. I did a barrel break-in and then sighted in at 100 yards from a bench shooting off sand bags. I was shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X. This rifle is consistently shooting 1/2 MOA or better. And I have shot two boxes of ammo through it so far. I have been extremely pleased with my Hell's Canyon Long Range. Next week I'm going to stretch it out a bit and see how it does at longer ranges.

Reactions: Not a Sniper
I just saw your post. I don't know about the. 300 Win Mag, but I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor Hell's Canyon Long Range just this week. I put on a Vortex Crossfire II scope, cleaned the new barrel before shooting it for the first time, and I did not see the need in adjusting the trigger as it was very crisp with zero creep. I did a barrel break-in and then sighted in at 100 yards from a bench shooting off sand bags. I was shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X. This rifle is consistently shooting 1/2 MOA or better. And I have shot two boxes of ammo through it so far. I have been extremely pleased with my Hell's Canyon Long Range. Next week I'm going to stretch it out a bit and see how it does at longer ranges.

Thanks very much. Your 1st post - dang.

This year has not been playing out as I hoped. I'm only mounted and bore sighted. This month is swirling the bowl. I really should be in the woods.

Gonna try again and get it dialed in proper early in November while my buddies are stocking their freezers.

The trigger seems okay for me but I am not the "long range" guy to ask-I am talking solely first hand on shit around 2.5 - 3.5 pounds pull. Depending on what shakes out on zero - we'll see then. It will do me for now for sure, I'm guessing, while I work out my bad habits.

Welcome to this place - I have shot for some time and the sheer amount of info/knowledge here will keep me quite busy for a LONG time... when not laughing at shit in the Bear Pit.

EDIT: My bad-thought you responded to me, but all the rest of the reply is correct.

Because: BOURBON. :LOL:

Last edited:
A buddy just bought a Hell’s Canyon X Bolt Long Range in 300 WM, and a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 optic for it. Factory 20 MOA base. Any guidance on ring height? I’m thinking 1 inch Seekins High. It’s not in hand yet, otherwise I’d just measure myself.

A buddy just bought a Hell’s Canyon X Bolt Long Range in 300 WM, and a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 optic for it. Factory 20 MOA base. Any guidance on ring height? I’m thinking 1 inch Seekins High. It’s not in hand yet, otherwise I’d just measure myself.
I had to put extra high rings on mine. The objective lens would touch the barrel with the hjgh rings.

Bought one in 300 prc and could not be happier so far. Trigger is not great compared to custom guns but parts on the way to fix. First group with 225 eldm was .36 and factory 212’s are averaging.6 to .8. Load development with Berger 210 looks promising and just get started with 245 eol

I bought a Hells canyon long range 7mm rem mag with the 1-8 twist and it won’t group factory ammo at all. I tried a lot different factory loads and the best group was about 3 moa and some were closer to 5 moa. Some of the bedding material was touching the barrel so I sanded it away and it helped just a little bit. The factory bullet weights were 150, 154, 155, 3 different 160’s, 162, 165, 174 and 175. I bought a box of Berger 175 gr elite hunter and I’m finally around 1 moa 3 shot groups at 100 yards. It’s been a very frustrating process.

I've been looking at the x-Bolt Hells Canyon W/McMillan Stock ~ it has a glass bedded receiver and the Trigger upgrade, but can't find a review with the 300 PRC for the McMillan model.
The Ruger Precision rifle's not pretty but there's reviews showing hits at 2000 yards for less $$.
...and I believe the Ruger has 5R Rifling which offers more velocity and improved accuracy.

Last edited:
I have had four X-bolts. Still have two and another on the way.
Exceptional rifles. Accurate, smooth and well-made.

These groups are the FIRST shots fro two different brand new X-bolts... before any barrel break in, etc.

160 gr and 140 gr handloads both shot well... and still do.
These ate FIVE shot groups!
IMG_6247.png
IMG_6246.png

good first post...but no one cares about an xbolt from 4 years ago

also...wtf is going on with damn near every xbolt commenter. they all have like 1-2 posts max and then leave the Hide

No but people DO care about purchasing a new gun today... and if they are searching for info on the X-bolt they may come across this as I did.

Now go back to shooting your ugly Savage rifles...

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
No but people DO care about purchasing a new gun today... and if they are searching for info on the X-bolt they may come across this as I did.

Now go back to shooting your ugly Savage rifles...
hopefully they come across it and realize they're shit rifles and you could buy or build way better for same or less money

LRH called. you're missing another crappy rifle mega thread full of fudds and 'gunsmiths'

Reactions: spife7980
hopefully they come across it and realize they're shit rifles and you could buy or build way better for same or less money

LRH called. you're missing another crappy rifle mega thread full of fudds and 'gunsmiths'
A man couldn’t screw and bolt one together for even close to the same money. There is a place for factory rifles in this price $1200- $1400 price range. These guns typically shoot very well. I’ve fired a few.

Reactions: Wy21
A man couldn’t screw and bolt one together for even close to the same money. There is a place for factory rifles in this price $1200- $1400 price range. These guns typically shoot very well. I’ve fired a few.
well there's tikka's that cost half...and x bolts that are $2300+

lots of options in the same price range that have better support, plus builds. not that 95% of people in that market even know you can shoot out a barrel

well there's tikka's that cost half...and x bolts that are $2300+

lots of options in the same price range that have better support, plus builds. not that 95% of people in that market even know you can shoot out a barrel
I remember the day when a basic Tikka was $650. That day is gone unfortunately. There are comparable cost xbolts to the Tikka T3x lites as well. I will agree that I’d rather pick up a Tikka model at a comparable price. I think they are better as well.

Reactions: b6graham
I have a HCS in 6.5. Mine shoots fine. Will put three rounds into three inches on a steel plate at 500 meters. I liked it enough to have dropped it into a GRS sporter stock. That said, the trigger is terrible and there are no aftermarket options that don't alter the operation of the safety. I like it, but would not buy another xbolt. There are better options. They are very attractive rifles, Browning got the aesthetic right. BTW, I run 140 eldx over H4350, when I can find it. I have shot the 143s and some other bullets in the 130 class and it shoots them all quite well.

xbolt.jpg

I am looking for the part number and a supplier/reseller for the 300 PRC 26" barrel, and 6.5 PRC 26" barrel.
thx,
Mark

Why not consider buying a real rifle instead.

You’re seeing a bunch of reviews indicating that the Browning struggles to get to even 1 MOA. Believe them.

I am looking for the part number and a supplier/reseller for the 300 PRC 26" barrel, and 6.5 PRC 26" barrel.
thx,
Mark
Its going to be a little bit more complicated than that. Chambered prefits aren't available for Browning rifles. You will need to find a smith willing to pull, mount and chamber the barrel. Call LRI or someone like that. Good luck

good first post...but no one cares about an xbolt from 4 years ago

also...wtf is going on with damn near every xbolt commenter. they all have like 1-2 posts max and then leave the Hide

I have 6 of them currently, Two 6.5 Creedmoor, Two 6.5 PRC, a Pro 280 Ackley and a 308 SR and I have a Target Max Competition Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor on the way. I wanted one with the 22" barrel before they were all gone. I mainly bought it to see exactly what is different between the Target Max action and the standard action. I have a McMillan Game Scout stock waiting for it to arrive. I have replaced every factory stock with a McMillan, add a HVHA trigger spring adjusted to 2lbs and I epoxy bed the actions in the McMillan stocks.

I have several full custom rifles and these shoot every bit as good. The limiting factor is the plastic magazine length. I am hoping the Target Max 10rd AICS mag bottom metal eliminates that worry. If it will all transfer into a McMillan, I will be ordering a 308 version. Browning will not sell just the bottom metal, they claim it's different and doesn't work with the standard receiver. I will soon know.

FTR, don't plan on going anywhere, but I am also not a new.