• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Help! Llewellin Setters --Anybody Know of a Good Breeder or Female to Breed?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Closer to Pacific NW the better, but I realize I may have to travel to get a good one. It's a rare breed and I need one that's got the no-shit Dashing Bondhu line in both parents. I have a male if anyone has a female that's registered and I'd be fine with breeding him. He's 7 this year and has amazing health and I've traced his lines back to Llewellin himself and have all the data on the parents. If you have a good dam I'd sure like to talk to you.

Would really be cool if someone in WA has a female they'd like to breed. I know you'd love my male, he's just awesome.

Any help would be great, because so far most of the good breeders (I THINK they're good, how can I really know?) are far, far away. But I realize I may have to take that trip if I want the right dog. If these dogs weren't so damn special, I'd find another breed I like. But after my buddy here I'm just sold for life on these setters. Best dog I've ever had or known, period. If dogs were AR's, he'd be a gold plated SR25.

If you bird hunt, and you don't have one of these, you are missing out BIG TIME! There absolutely is no better breed of bird dog in existence when it comes to pointing, holding a point and retrieving with a soft mouth. They're naturals and require no training really to hunt (some training can actually fuck 'em up). Even backup and honor other bird dogs, all on their own.

Really hoping someone knows of a reputable small breeder or someone with a fine dam willing to breed that's closer than --uh, over there. Closest ones I've found so far are in MN and N.Dakota I think, but not so sure they're the best or the ones to go with.

Thanks!

Come on!

You surely have to know that folks are going to just ignore the first part of your post title!!!!!!

I wish you success in your search. They are wonderful dogs. The best I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately that was 30 years ago. The only reliable dogs I’ve seen in the last 20 years have come from King Llewellen Setters in Arkansas.

Please update this thread as your quest advances.

I’ll check with a trainer friend of mine to see if he knows. Also gun dog magazine usually has breeders in there!

Reactions: Strykervet
    Thanks guys, I'll look into those. My thing I guess is trying to wade through the BS to find the right breeder with the right dogs. I really lucked out on the one I have.

I contacted King and another, was looking at Houdini... Most are a long ways out though, too far just to go check 'em out.

I'd like an ethical breeder, someone who doesn't breed the females to absolute exhaustion. And who has the step by step lineage back to Purcell Llewellin (which shouldn't be a problem as they all advertise this!).

These dogs are absolutely amazing, I'm ruined on 'em. Only breed I'm interested in anymore.

Reactions: TXBO
    Have a male from a breeder in Wasilla Alaska. Can dig out their info this pm if you want it...

Thanks, but AK is just too damn far away!

I'm in no rush but it seems almost impossible to choose one just based on pictures online and their word alone. And they're all so far away from me. Oh well, I have time to get it right.

I'm sure there are forums dedicated to them. Check there

Yeah, I may have to, I'll go look for some. Just looking at breeder pages isn't giving me what I need. Because someone is spinning bullshit regarding the registrations. FDSB is DNA registered, another breeder or two use another registry (and demand you don't use them in sporting trials or shows). Turns out that's because unless they're DNA registered they can't be. But each person claims their registry method is the best way, each claim their dogs are from Dashing Bondhu stock.

The only reason it matters is because there are only like four breeding lines of this one dog and they came from two extraordinary dogs in 1860's. People will breed 'em with English setters because they can sell for more if you call it a Llewellin. There's a Russian line and also a Humphrey line from the US. Because of all this, it kinda makes these dogs very rare. Breeders are very careful about who they'll sell to also, they won't sell one to just anybody. I kinda get it.

I was hoping there'd be a bird hunter here privy to them. If you hunt quail or pheasant and don't have one of these dogs, you're missing out big time. They literally do all the work, and LOVE it. Inside they're the best buddy you can have.

I fully understand. I'm involved with a similar type breed

Oh yeah, then you know! There's a handful of these new "super breeds" or whatever you wanna call 'em but no doubt, they are the pinnacle of canine evolution, that's a fact. I bet the ones hardest to get are the ones bred in the 80's, like that Russian sniffer --doesn't look like much, not very big, but supposedly 3x the sensitivity of a Bloodhound. Can't remember the breed and it actually looks kinda like a mutt... Then there's the Ovcharka on the other end, basically a semi truck with four legs and teeth --not into dog fighting at all, but one of those could eat two pit bulls at the same time.

Once you get one of these breeds that suit you though, you're ruined on 'em. There's the entire "sporting class" --then there's the Llewellin.

If anyone does know something and runs across this, please PM me.