• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help me choose between these two scopes

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
For a 70% bench rifle, 20% open land hunting, 10% brush hunting scope to mount on a SPS-tactical in 308 I think I've narrowed it down between these two models:

6-24x50 Bushnell 4200
http://bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/elite4200/426245T/

5x15x40 Bushnell 3200
http://bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/elite3200/325154T/

The 3200 is 200$ cheaper, 2.5" shorter, 3 oz lighter, and has 1.3" more eye relief.
The 4200 has higher power, larger objective, fully coated optics.

Thoughts? Or just feel mean and want to through another scope I should look at instead?

Re: Help me choose between these two scopes

I wouldn't want to use either. With all the matched reticle/knob scopes coming out there is no reason to handicap yourself with a moa/mil setup. I suggest you do a little research on match knobs and reticle.

Unlike in other things, Objective size doesn't matter. But scope quality does. I would have a closer look at how much of the full power range you can actually use with either scope.

One more vote for "None of the Above."

While the Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes may be okay for range/bench use under normal light conditions, I wouldn't consider either ideal for hunting and neither one will be worth a damn for a "brush hunting scope."

What range will the bench shooting be? Same question for the open land hunting. Hunting to 300 you should be able to use a 9x. I've shot pretty good groups at 200 with a 9x as well. You should probably stay away from a 50mm objective for brush use. 40mm would be a lot more compact and usable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
While the Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes may be okay for range/bench use under normal light conditions, I wouldn't consider either ideal for hunting . . . </div></div>

Have you ever even used one? The 4200 line has some fantabulous light gathering capabilities.

The brush hunting would be less than 10% of the time, so it's really more of an after thought. The hunting would be deer and varmint out to about 300 yards, range use would be out to about 500 yards.

I don't have any urge to spend anything more than what I need to. I'm not an army sniper, my life doesn't depend on this and it's being mounted on a 600$ gun. So I'm looking in the 300-500$, but I'd really need it to be justified to spend the extra money.

Magnification is a tourist trap often used by scope manufacturers to sell inferior scopes. There's nothing wrong with Bushnell, but why do you think you need so much magnification?

3-9x should be fine for that. You probably don't need that many features or even a parallax adjustment. Why not a SWFA Super Sniper 3-9x42 Mil/Mil? That way the size of the scope won't over-power or unbalance the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
While the Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes may be okay for range/bench use under normal light conditions, I wouldn't consider either ideal for hunting . . . </div></div>

Have you ever even used one? The 4200 line has some fantabulous light gathering capabilities. </div></div>

I got to use a 4200 6-24x50 last year. At twilight and dusk, on anywhere between 20-24x, the scope was not what I would call "fantabulous" by any stretch of the imagination. During normal daylight hours, the scope performed fine through the magnification range. Now, for a budget-minded optic (no...its not a NF, etc.), it was "okay", but nothing to write home about. I would gladly sacrifice the magnification for better glass.

To the OP...for hunting, out to 300yds or so, on coyote-size game (or targets out to 500yds or so), anything in the variable range up to 10x should be more than enough scope (even with not having "the best eyes"). Something like a 3-9x or a 2.5-10x would be a great "all-around" optic for bench/range, open-field hunting, or brush use (on the low-power settings) and will likely serve you better than either of the Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 scopes you are considering.

The SWFA SS 3-9x that Graham suggested is excellent. If you can find one, the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x would also be great. Both can be had around the $600 mark.

I've got my mind set on at least a 15x optics, perhaps it's more than I need, but it's what I've got my mind set on. I don't think I'm going to be talked down to a 9x.
frown.gif

600$ is also twice as much as the 3200 so we're really talking price ranges too.

There's no such thing as a free lunch: In optics you can get much less than you paid for, but there's no way to get more than you pay for.

Just make sure 15x is a useable magnification on the scope that you get.

Kalman,

The Vortex Viper 6.5X20 would be in your price range. I recently bought one and have been very pleased so far with its performance. It also has the magnification range you are looking for.

I, like you, wanted the extra magnification. I may not have "needed" it, but I wanted it so that is what I bought.

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call, he was a great help to me in choosing my scope.

Yeah, I know there's trades and to free lunch. I'm also pretty sure I don't need 24X, but I do want more than 9X. I'm looking more at the vortex and some of the nikon monarchs. It's just so hard sorting the FUD from truth on scopes.
frown.gif

Kalman,

You said 70% bench and 20% field hunting. What sort of bench shooting do you do? If you are shooting for tiny groups, then the more magnification the better. Of course, odds are that the more magnification you get, the less useful the scope will be in the field. Fields of view dwindle quicly and size/weight go up exponentially.

During load development, I like a 22X for shooting tiny group. I use a 2.5-10X for everything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kalman,

You said 70% bench and 20% field hunting. What sort of bench shooting do you do? If you are shooting for tiny groups, then the more magnification the better. Of course, odds are that the more magnification you get, the less useful the scope will be in the field. Fields of view dwindle quicly and size/weight go up exponentially.

During load development, I like a 22X for shooting tiny group. I use a 2.5-10X for everything else. </div></div>

Yeah that's kinda the feeling I've got. I think I could strike a balance with a 4-16X. As much as I'd love to buy 15 rifles and 15 scopes and 15 cartridges so I'd have the perfect equipment for every situation, the reality is my equipment serves multiple "needs". I'm currently reading up on some of the Nikons. I really like thier minature turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can wait a little longer(May or June) Vortex is coming out with the HS model scopes. They look pretty promising, just something to consider.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-hs-4-16x50-riflescope-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

</div></div>

That looks pretty awesome. I'm not in a rush, but that is a good while. However, it looks REALLY good. Assuming it'll be available from the discounters at ~20% off, that'd put it around 450-475$, which would be within the price range. Wish i could find someplace to go see the glass though...