• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me out on a super budget build.

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    Dad’s 65 and he just laid his bike down on the dragons tail yesterday. My mom lost her mind and he’s not going to be able to ride anymore, so he’s looking for his own long range rifle.

Hes been shooting mine for a while now and has been an avid shooter/ hunter his whole life. He knows he wants a stock rather than a chassis and more magnification than 16x. He also has high cheek bones that require an adjustable stock.

I started pushing him towards a tikka, but now I’m wondering if that’s the way to go.

With a $1500 budget (scope and rifle) what would you do? He won’t be competing or anything like that.

I’m thinking a Howa barreled action in a bravo with a SWFA SS 20x. Anything you would change?

I hated the SS 20x.... dark glass and horrible eye box. Even on a 223 people that didn't shoot much would loose the sight picture after every shot.... and be bobbing their head around trying to find the magical spot they could see through it.

The rest sounds good- and I've only seen 1 Howa that wouldn't shoot.

I would probably try either a tikka with a bravo swap or a bergera. You can find a lot of nice rifles used.

As far as optics go, your budget for eveehthing is tight so I’d maybe give the new vortex a shot (venom), or check out the elements helix ffp. The element is a lot of bang for buck and if he would like to upgrade in the feature it would make a killer back up scope or 22 trainer optic.

Howa action in a bravo with that new vortex venom 5-25 seems like it would be the ticket in my limited knowledge. Unless he needs illumination..

Savage 110 tactical and vortex strike eagle or venom

Give him yours and build another.
    Hells no. I finally settled on a load last range trip. I'm keeping this thing at least until it needs a new barrel. I want to stay married too and dad can afford to build whatever he wants right now. He's just cheap. The chassis was actually bought from you.

I would probably try either a tikka with a bravo swap or a bergera. You can find a lot of nice rifles used.

As far as optics go, your budget for eveehthing is tight so I’d maybe give the new vortex a shot (venom), or check out the elements helix ffp. The element is a lot of bang for buck and if he would like to upgrade in the feature it would make a killer back up scope or 22 trainer optic.
    I saw Ilya recommended this scope as well.

SWFA is out, element is now in the running. The venom and strike eagle don't look like they're going to fit in the budget unless I can find one used. I figured a fixed power scope would leave more room for the manufacturer to invest in the turrets/tracking and maybe glass. Guess that's not the case anymore. Glad I asked.

I just popped over to Ebay, but the gen 1 argos are available for 250 bucks, gen 2 for 400. There were some gen 1 ares running around for 400-450 for a while too. Weaver tactical scopes pop up really cheap for the quality too.

I saw Ilya recommended this scope as well.

SWFA is out, element is now in the running. The venom and strike eagle don't look like they're going to fit in the budget unless I can find one used. I figured a fixed power scope would leave more room for the manufacturer to invest in the turrets/tracking and maybe glass. Guess that's not the case anymore. Glad I asked.

There’s a lot of great optics out there these days. Some that shoot at there price points, some that shoot above them. And I believe that the elements shoot above there respected price points. I am in no way sponsored or affiliated with them. I don’t own any either. I was lucky enough to test a helix ffp and a nexus ffp for a few months and a few thousand rounds. I shot them against a few other optics (Nikon’s, vortex, Schmidt’s, steiner, nightforce, bushnell) and I was impressed in comparison to other manufacturers similar price points or against the price point higher. I will be adding a few Titans and a nexus to my personal line up.

That said the new venom checks a lot of boxes for a budget scope. Please note I have no experience with one, but it could be a real winner and would take a good look at them too!!

I shoot mostly at 16x. He wants more. Will glass at this budget really cut it at 10 or 12x at 1k or so? I thought the 1x per 100y rule only applied with good glass.
    At what range? I was shooting put to 600 the other day and never went over 12x, and that was plenty, 2 MOA or thereabouts targets. The last time I shot at 16x was a group test at 200 yards with a 1/2 dot as the aim point.

Most people way over-magnify then wonder why they can't spot their own shots, even with decent fundamentals and recoil control.

Reactions: Alekzandr
    At what range? I was shooting put to 600 the other day and never went over 12x, and that was plenty, 2 MOA or thereabouts targets. The last time I shot at 16x was a group test at 200 yards with a 1/2 dot as the aim point.

Most people way over-magnify then wonder why they can't spot their own shots, even with decent fundamentals and recoil control.

Our local range goes out to mile, so ideally he'd like to reach out that far at some point. Targets are steel and we're not really bug hole shooters, so I don't use a ton of magnification either. My glass tops out at 16x and I haven't seen the need for more just yet, though I rarely bring it below max unless I'm shooting targets inside 300. I'll usually just switch to a .223 inside of 400 or so given the cost of components as of late. We've been spotting for each other through a spotting scope, but that's likely to change when he gets his own rifle.

I'm thinking 6.5x47 with the hope that load development will forgiving. If not, just about any of the 6's or 6.5's will suffice. I've run into a lot more 7mm bullets than heavy 6.5's lately, so part of me wants to build a 7saum if I can find good brass. This all happened two days ago, so I haven't done my normal pre purchase research.

At a mile the quality of the glass will be a huge factor. Lower magnification with really good glass will get you more than higher magnification with cheaper glass, at least in terms of image clarity.

At longer range, I would be looking for sharpness and snappy contrast first. A lot also depends on your eyes. Mine have been through the wars, so to speak, with multiple eye surgeries. The same scope produces very different images between left and right eyes, because my left eye has a permanent haze and has issues with low contrast scenes.

Wow, I’ve really become a snob. I don’t think there’s a $1500 precision rifle + optic + mount combination that I’d buy.

Wow, I’ve really become a snob. I don’t think there’s a $1500 precision rifle + optic + mount combination that I’d buy.

Hahaha but did you start out that way! I couldn’t always afford or justify customs or better factory setups. Once I made the switch I’d never go back, but still recommend these style of set ups to someone brand new. No point in dumping 3-5k if you won’t stick with it

Tikka CTR
    KRG Bravo
    Vortex Venom and Pro/PMR rings
    I don’t think you can go wrong with this set up. Tikka just came out with a new Super Varmint but no price or release time from for the US yet.

For me it’s been RAP in 6.5 CM, Bushnell Nitro 5-20 SFP, Vortex Pro Rings, Caldwell Bipods= $700. Probably not your mile gun but it would go to 1k.
    Probably as budget as it gets.

There's a Tikka 6.5 CTR for in the Post Exchange (seller is in Sacremento, CA and no shipping). I've seen some nice deals on Bushnells, Steiners, Eotechs and Meoptas, on DVOR.com, that would not put you over budget.
    I've found a few good deals on armslist.com from commercial sellers, too.

Dad’s 65 and he just laid his bike down on the dragons tail yesterday. My mom lost her mind and he’s not going to be able to ride anymore, so he’s looking for his own long range rifle.

Hes been shooting mine for a while now and has been an avid shooter/ hunter his whole life. He knows he wants a stock rather than a chassis and more magnification than 16x. He also has high cheek bones that require an adjustable stock.

I started pushing him towards a tikka, but now I’m wondering if that’s the way to go.

With a $1500 budget (scope and rifle) what would you do? He won’t be competing or anything like that.

I’m thinking a Howa barreled action in a bravo with a SWFA SS 20x. Anything you would change?
    The stock vs Chasis . I bought a Bell and Carlson A5 stock from Stocks Stocks it's heavy but great for bench shooting. MET makes the Oryx Chad is that's very affordable. The Howa is very nice. I own a Weatherby Van guard which is a Howa 1500 more or less. I would suggest that and the SWFA IS also a goid choice but less fixed power IMHO. Consider a Savage ??

Give him yours and build another.

Good suggestion, Yours will come back to you one day anyway. Gave Dad 15-20 guns to enjoy when I had an FFL. They all came back when he passed......with cherished stories added. Those guns and many more will pass to my son one day...with more stories. Building family heirlooms.

I think you should look at the sightron s-tac 4-20. It’s a little more than the fixed 20 but a lot more versatile. They come up used for under $300 sometimes. I’d also look for a used Remington 5r in 6.5 or 308 and throw a trigger in it. That should keep you right around $1500.

Wait, he's 65 and he's gotta have her ok to ride? 😫

I pieced together a R700 + Bravo + Timney + SWFA 3-15 for right at $1300 a couple years ago thanks to the PX and some well timed sales. While it wouldn't touch an AI or a custom, it's performance was more than sufficient for the price.

OP, I would set the budget at 2k and just keep sending him fancy build ideas for only $500 more than his original budget. Hopefully he will break and make your life a little easier while he increases his odds of getting a higher quality piece of kit. Even if that extra money is only spent on the glass. You can probably reach a mile just fine with a RAP, Savage 110, and other entry level offerings, but good glass will make it much more enjoyable.

Reactions: DScorp
    Good suggestion, Yours will come back to you one day anyway. Gave Dad 15-20 guns to enjoy when I had an FFL. They all came back when he passed......with cherished stories added. Those guns and many more will pass to my son one day...with more stories. Building family heirlooms.
    Have to put my foot down here. The old man is loaded now in retirement due in large part to an inheritance from my grandfather on my mothers side. I just built him a lightweight AR, gave him about 2/3 of the parts he used to build his precision AR (including both receivers, a bcg, barrel and geissele nm) and I buy *almost* all of the components to reload and reloading tools. I don't have to tell you guys how much that adds up.

The gravy train has come to a screeching halt. The old man needs to pony up for this one. I have four kids of my own to feed. If I build a new precision rifle right now I'll be a single dad before I take my first shot with it.

I pieced together a R700 + Bravo + Timney + SWFA 3-15 for right at $1300 a couple years ago thanks to the PX and some well timed sales. While it wouldn't touch an AI or a custom, it's performance was more than sufficient for the price.

OP, I would set the budget at 2k and just keep sending him fancy build ideas for only $500 more than his original budget. Hopefully he will break and make your life a little easier while he increases his odds of getting a higher quality piece of kit. Even if that extra money is only spent on the glass. You can probably reach a mile just fine with a RAP, Savage 110, and other entry level offerings, but good glass will make it much more enjoyable.
    I would, but he just rebuilt the battery pack for a $50 ryobi weed trimmer to save maybe $15. He might be the cheapest man in the country. $1500 is a hard figure and it was like pulling teeth to get him to agree to that.

Still scouring the PX. That's how I built mine.

• Haha
    Reactions: SRPowah
    Eventually, you gotta let your parents grow up... :oops:

If he is a cheap ass, he will have cheap ass stuff. And, eventually, you will have his cheap ass stuff. If he wants a rifle, tell him to build it. If he doesn't, he won't.

It really is true that nothing is more expensive than buying cheap. Even if it doesn't break and is "serviceable" for the intended task, he'll be replacing stuff and ultimately spending more. Or he will be unsatisfied with the purchase, and give up. Either way, it is money wasted.

At the end of the day, if he really does want a precision rifle, he will pay for it- and it sounds like he has the money to do it. If not, don't force your wants onto him. And, just eliminate "compromise" from your lexicon.

Reactions: TrevK
    I’d up it to $2000 regardless. Really a big difference in what you’ll get with that $500 additional allowance.

tikka CTR
    Grayboe phoenix
    Athlon helos, Midas or Ares depending on the specs he wants in a scope.

I’d up it to $2000 regardless. Really a big difference in what you’ll get with that $500 additional allowance.

tikka CTR
    Grayboe phoenix
    Athlon helos, Midas or Ares depending on the specs he wants in a scope.
    That's more in line with what I was originally thinking.

I have a steiner px4 4-16 I'm considering loaning to him. I was also thinking a stock B-14 HMR in 6.5 prc, just because I already have dies, an 8lb jug of 4831 and about 700 140gr RBTs.