• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with a softshell jacket/system. I read about too many and need help from the Hide

I have the Condor shell, and the TAD Stealth. The TAD material is no doubt, space-age wonder stuff. But, I'm not sure I'd buy it again. For the money, the Condor is warmer, and I like the interior pockets better. I just ordered a shell from Kryptek for hunting. I'm eager to compare it to the TAD and Condor.

BTW, I planned to get a Ranger to build a system with the Stealth. But, the high price of the Stealth (and the fact that I've had problems with the main zipper) have caused me to look into other option. Still, I like the dark green of the Ranger. The fans of the Ranger seem to love it. It may end up in my closet yet. A couple people here seem to like the Ranger. Anybody disappointed with the Ranger?

I have the Condor shell, and the TAD Stealth. The TAD material is no doubt, space-age wonder stuff. But, I'm not sure I'd buy it again. For the money, the Condor is warmer, and I like the interior pockets better. I just ordered a shell from Kryptek for hunting. I'm eager to compare it to the TAD and Condor.

BTW, I planned to get a Ranger to build a system with the Stealth. But, the high price of the Stealth (and the fact that I've had problems with the main zipper) have caused me to look into other option. Still, I like the dark green of the Ranger. The fans of the Ranger seem to love it. It may end up in my closet yet. A couple people here seem to like the Ranger. Anybody disappointed with the Ranger?

As I posted, I'm loving the Ranger. I agree that the 2-way zipper can be fussy when taking it off, but for the benefits of the jacket it's not even an issue. I've worn a LOT of fleece for the past 10-15yrs, and really didn't think there could be anything about the Ranger that made it "special". I have no idea HOW this thing works, but it just plain works. I replaced 2 layers of clothing with one Ranger and I'm warmer in sub-freezing temps with strong winds than I was when I was using the other 2 layers (and I don't even have the shell yet).
My goal for the Ranger was as a mid-layer so I went with the jacket rather than the hoodie to minimize the number of hoods I'm contending with.

I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone have one of the TAD jackets in the UE grey color? It looks WAY too close to that "foliage" color from the ACUs in some of the pictures. If it's more charcoal grey then I'd probably like it, if it's that ACU color then it's a no go. I ask because I'm about to add a regular Stealth to my Stealth LT order and was wondering if any of y'all had an idea.

Thanks

My Stealth LT is UE grey. It does have a greenish tint to it but I like it. It's not quite as green as the foliage color of that Condor jacket but it's definitely not a charcoal grey. I would say that in real life the color shown in this picture is pretty accurate:

Sniper's Hide » Triple Aught Design Stealth Hoodie LT

Thanks Brother,

I'd actually read that review with the pics of Costa. Your timing was perfect as I was on the phone with TAD when your post came up. Decided to try the ME Green for the regular Stealth, as a little change from the black Ranger and black LT.

I guess I've gone full retard on TAD gear at this point.

Mainly hiking and shooting for cool/cold weather 30 degrees and up.

It happens to the best of us! Now you when you are all geared up you can be yet another walking TADvertisement.

Yeah, no kidding. One of the things I like about the TAD stuff is that you're NOT a walking billboard with "North Face" or whatever plastered all over your kit. I completely get that for the ski slopes, but it's not how I use my gear. Someone who knows TAD gear will recognize the little "dog and bones" ranger eye down on the bottom of it where the TAD logo usually is (which can of course be removed to be even more low-key).
People who know the gear know what you've paid for it, but the VAST majority of folks won't have any idea, unlike the big names with visible logos and brand recognition.

As I posted, I'm loving the Ranger. I agree that the 2-way zipper can be fussy when taking it off, but for the benefits of the jacket it's not even an issue. I've worn a LOT of fleece for the past 10-15yrs, and really didn't think there could be anything about the Ranger that made it "special". I have no idea HOW this thing works, but it just plain works. I replaced 2 layers of clothing with one Ranger and I'm warmer in sub-freezing temps with strong winds than I was when I was using the other 2 layers (and I don't even have the shell yet).
My goal for the Ranger was as a mid-layer so I went with the jacket rather than the hoodie to minimize the number of hoods I'm contending with.

Thanks bogey. Your feedback helps. Like you, I want the Ranger as a mid-layer, no hood. Hmmm. Just got the Kryptek Cadog. Great long arms. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's not the kind of thing I want to wear around town. Ranger is better for stealth mode. I had to get the XL Stealth for arm length and so I could layer something underneath. I'm 190, 6ft with 36in sleeves. I'm wondering if the LG will work in the Ranger?

Thanks bogey. Your feedback helps. Like you, I want the Ranger as a mid-layer, no hood. Hmmm. Just got the Kryptek Cadog. Great long arms. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's not the kind of thing I want to wear around town. Ranger is better for stealth mode. I had to get the XL Stealth for arm length and so I could layer something underneath. I'm 190, 6ft with 36in sleeves. I'm wondering if the LG will work in the Ranger?

If it helps, I'm 6ft 185lbs and wear 34/35 sleeves on a dress shirt and the Large on the Ranger is perfect (I have an extra inch or 2 of sleeve which keeps them from riding up). I personally would hesitate going up to an XL. I have had AMAZING customer service from TAD, so if you're in doubt I'd recommend calling and explaining your concern and they should be able to steer you the right way on sizing.