• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help! Scope too low for AICS 700

shaneinhisroom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys, new here. I have a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff on my 700 before I upgraded from the original stock to the AICS 1.5 stock. Now the scope sits too low. Can someone recommend me rings that are high enough for this particular setup, or must I get a new 50mm obj scope?

Re: Help! Scope too low for AICS 700

New scope is an expensive way to do it.

What ring/base combo are you using now?

I assume it is to low to get a proper cheek weld, as the chassis would not change the barrel/objective clearance. But I have to ask, what is making the setup "too low"?

I have have a 50mm scope and i use mid size rings so you could try high rings but ultrahigh would be crazy... with the mids i still raise the comb slightly

Brand, you're exactly correct. I cannot get good sight picture because the cheek rest is too high, even at its lowest.

I am thinking of getting a 20moa base to try and get a temporary fix. Having an extra piece always irks me but will this work? It'll give me another half inch or so, which would be perfect. Any downsides to that? I don't shoot anymore than 300yd right now, as that's the longest range I've got.

Here is what I"m thinking: http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-20-moa-mark-4-ims-integral-rail-insert.html

AICS 1.5 have a high cheekpiece....always have alway will.

Get behind rifle with eyes closed, get in position then open eyes. where you are looking at is where your scope needs to be. Ballpark measurement of difference and get higher rings.

BRrrrrrooomm, here comes the airplane, open wide.

That's the problem. I can't find any really high rings for the nikon 4-12x40. Can someone find me? Tube diameter is 1 inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BRrrrrrooomm, here comes the airplane, open wide. </div></div>

"really high"? Dude, do what I suggested, measure the difference, add that to the height of the rings you already have then use Google.
Noone's gonna spoonfeed you....

I wouldn't be here if I didn't do exactly what you said already...but hey, whatever..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't be here if I didn't do exactly what you said already...but hey, whatever.. </div></div>

Is it really that hard to find a set of rings?

They gave you the what and the how, now you just need find the rings. Its not that hard.

Yeah well I came here asking for some help. Would be nice if some polite people would actually respond.

And yes, apparently it is. I cannot find dimensions on ring height anywhere. Everyone says "low, medium, high, ultrahigh, xhigh, xxhigh", etc etc etc. I don't have a clue if Leupold's high rings are the same height as Weaver's high rings.

I have medium rings right now and it seems like I need another inch or thereabouts. I don't care if the rings are REALLY high because then I can just raise the cheekpiece, hence the "really high rings"

The other part of my question was if people use 20moa bases to raise their scopes, and if that is a good idea.

All I wanted was some direction, but it seems like I joined the wrong community.

A 20 moa base is not gonna change the height of the eyepiece. Most manufacturers offer actual heights of their rings on their own sites.

I find it impressive that within your first 5 posts, that you failed to search the site and want someone to put your rifle together for you over the net.

Measure the heigth of the ring from the base to the bottom of the scope and let me know what it is. I will then help. The 1" you are referencing is far fetched to say the least.

You didn't even say what rings you have, are we supposed to be clairvoyant and figure out how high your rings AND how much higher you want them to be?

Nikon ProStaff 4-12 are not the most popular scope, so expecting someone to have exact data on your exact setup is a bit much!

"some assembly required" often applies to precision rifles...

I apologize. Thanks guys. I have found them on Midway USA...I was looking at optics planet and as well as other sites but none of them listed any dimensions.

I have Leupold medium rings: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=722296

I guess I'm going to have to go with a 1/2 in riser and the Leupold high rings, that should give me around a .8inch raise.

No need to be condescending; I'm still a fairly young noob in terms of piecing my rifle together.

Thanks Rosie. I went ahead and ordered a .5" pair of risers. Hopefully this will get me into the correct height. I'm wondering how much this will mess with my BDC reticle...it shouldn't in theory since it's not canted I guess.

I've got a Ken Farrel base that was a definite step up from the Weaver base, the Farrel base is about 1/4" taller than the Weaver so you can upgrade your base and get a taller sight picture.

With my aics I had nf 3-15-50 with low night force rings .885 and had the same problem. Went to night force high ring 1.00 way better have a great scope pic with out smashing my face into the stock.. Hope this helps

there's also the option on a 1.5 of removing the cheekpiece and running a Eagle or similar stock pack.
Sounds crazy, but it actually works well and is very comfy....