• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with load for 200 gr SWC 45 ACP (lead)

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
Anybody got a good load for a 45 ACP 200 gr SWC lead bullet?

I tried 7.0 of Unique but it was a bit snappy, felt more like 40.

Also, has anybody had any problems with this bullet in a Springfield XD?

Strick

Re: Help with load for 200 gr SWC 45 ACP (lead)

What do you mean by "snappy"? Are you looking for a light load that you can punch paper at 15-25 yards?

If so, your load sounds about 50% more powder than I remember, but I might be thinking wrong. I'll look it up at home tonight.

Additionally, with SWC and TC bullets my dad's 1911 fails to close to full battery about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, it feeds MUCH better with RN.

Stick with the Unique and try 5.6 gr. , this has been the best load I have used . A 3 time national bullseye pistol champ give me this load to try and it is great.

For years my IDPA load has been 4.5 of Clays. I've always wanted to get back to a spherical powder similar to the discontinued 452AA, but nothing worked as well. I just ordered 16 pounds of W-W AutoComp. Everything I've read says this stuff is great for autoloading cartridges. We'll see.

4.5 Clays is over the max for a 200 grain bullet. 4.3 is max.

Bohem:If the round enters the chamber of your dad's 1911, failure to come to full battery with those bullets probably means that the round may be too long and you are headspacing on the extended bullet, or the bullet diameter is wrong for the chamber. Try 1. Reducing OAL a .005 at a time and 2. Use a taper crimp die or a Lee Factory Crimp die...it has a carbide ring at the entry of the die to ensure that the reloads are not bulging the case nor are too big around. May have to play with your spring tension also. I like Bullseye or 231 for my light wadcutter loads. Around 4 grains of either...3.5 and work up a tenth at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4.2-4.3 Clays. </div></div>

My load is 4.1grns of Clays, 200grn Lasercast SWC, C.O.L. 1.226.

The old standard full power load with Unique was 7.5 grains with the H&G #68 bullet. I came to prefer 5.7 to 5.8 of WW 231. It meters through the measure like water, and is good for 925 fps or so out of a 5" Bar-Sto barreled Colt.

That load shoots wonderfully flat for a .45. 100 yard hits are easy, and just a touch over half the front sight above the top of the rear will get you to 200.

Cheers... Jim

FNP-

Thanks for the advice, the problem is that the bullet shape taper to what would look like a 9mm diameter then abruptly juts out to the 45 caliber diameter just past the case mouth.

I'll suggest he backs the COL down on them, from looking at them it appeared to us that it was headspacing on the case mouth as needed but the squarish edge on the base of the bullet cone was hanging it up too much on the feed ramp.

I'm going up tomorrow to do some casting, we'll have to give the COL issue a try since we haven't solved it otherwise without using the RN mould instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... but the squarish edge on the base of the bullet cone was hanging it up too much on the feed ramp.</div></div>

This seemed to be the majority of hte problem for me. A few times, this squarish edge would have a big dent on it as if it hung up.

I may call the caster and just go with a round nose. That seems to be the ticket. I had more problem with this 100 rounds I loaded for the 45 than I have ever had loading the 1k's for my 9mm.

I've had great luck with 6.6gr Unique which is an old standard for the 200gr LSWC. I might even give the 5.6gr load above a try myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... but the squarish edge on the base of the bullet cone was hanging it up too much on the feed ramp.</div></div>

This seemed to be the majority of hte problem for me. A few times, this squarish edge would have a big dent on it as if it hung up.

I may call the caster and just go with a round nose. That seems to be the ticket. I had more problem with this 100 rounds I loaded for the 45 than I have ever had loading the 1k's for my 9mm. </div></div>

Thanks Strickland, the caster is my dad, we got the equipment years ago and have just been adding to it. I bought a 10mm a month ago, first 3 things I bought for it were

1) 2 extra 15rnd mags
2) conversion barrel to shoot 40SW too
3) 6 cavity lead mould

We just consider the lead mould to be part of the expense of buying the piece.

On that note, he's got a 228 grn RN mould that he's probably going to switch to since the 45 is mostly a plinker that lives in his desk drawer.

Unique has a higher flame temp and will cause leading in the barrel. I used it for years and wore out my Lewis Lead Remover.

Since I switched to Clays all the leading is gone + softer recoil and less smoke. Completely cleans with a bronze brush.

4.0 of clays gives ~ 810fps out of my XD 45 Tactical. Works great for punching paper and banging steel.

Gone through 1K= without issue. I am told a small adjustment in COL can be all the difference between smooth feeding and a jam-o-matic. Don't have my notes, but think it was a 1.275. I just got lucky right from the start with the feeding.

ZY

My standby load since early 90's is probably not the fastest, cleanest, dirtiest or anything best. It does/has function well in my P220's, officers, Commander and GM's that I just stick with it for no other reason than it works well and shoots well in all. If someones gun is not working well it is the load I feed it as I have not found a .45 that did not eat it reliably.

200 SWC 5.0 gr. 700-X

Your mileage may vary
-2sigs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4.5 Clays is over the max for a 200 grain bullet. 4.3 is max. </div></div>

Cast bullet data in most manuals are published not with pressure in mind, but rather limiting barrel fouling. Check the pressure numbers and you'll see they're pretty low. Lyman list 4.4 as max with a pressure around 15K. I have no reason to try, but I suspect 5.0 may not exceed SAAMI.

5.7grs. WW#231 with OAL 1.245"-1.250" and you will be GTG. I have been using this load in mixed brass for over 30yrs. in my "work" guns and target guns.
Respectfully,
LG

Check out Blue dot also. It is a good powder for lead. I have also used unique (5.5 gr) with good luck. Not too snappy but very manageable.

I load my .45acp stuff almost exclusively with bullseye. IIRC around 5.0gr with a 200gr lswc is my usual load. Run it through a lee factory crimp die and I have yet to find a fullsize gun that doesnt like it. My SA Micro compact is the only gun that wont eat it up with 100% reliability.

I used to run Clays but cant seem to find it as commonly as bullseye. Clays did run very cleanly though. 231 however always left particles of crap all over the place but I havent loaded with it in probably 15 years.