• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Henderson Trimmer - Cutters vs. Pilots

Rathmatik

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2020
KCMO
I'm looking to purchase the Henderson Trimmer (can't wait!), but couldn't find the answer to the following question. If I want to trim multiple calibers, do I really need a separate cutter for each one, or could I just buy the Forster pilots since it uses them? It would be nice to spend $5 per caliber vs. $70 each.

Separate cutter for each "caliber family" ... but I use the same cutter for my 300-WM, 300-PRC, and 300-NM. Pilots are caliber-specific as well. Slightly different for collets, as that's a "base" issue, so I need to use the .338 collet for 300-NM, and the multi-caliber collet for 300-WM and 300-PRC (and 300-BLK). Hope that makes sense. Swapping out cutters and stoppers is really quick and easy.

I'd also recommend that you call Mr. Henderson and tell him what you're looking for, and he'll let you know exactly what does, and doesn't work.

Thanks, I might as well give them a call. I believe Collet #1 will work for everything I have (223, 6.5 CM, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag) except 30-30 (Collet #2), and then that's 4 different pilots (.224, .264, .284, .308). I'll see what they say and report back here for the sake of others who wonder the same thing in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks, I might as well give them a call. I believe Collet #1 will work for everything I have (223, 6.5 CM, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30), and then that's 4 different pilots (.224, .264, .284, .308). I'll see what they say and report back here for the sake of others who wonder the same thing in the future.
The call is well worth the time. I had six case sizes I wanted to cut, and he helped me get exactly what I needed, the first time. I absolutely LOVE my Henderson Case Trimmer.

Pro Tip: Make sure you get a "Stopper Bolt" for EVERY case size you want to trim. That way you can set the depth to your trim length, mark the stopper for that case, and use it every time. Sharing stoppers between cases types is a pain and requires re-setting the depth with each change. Make sure for every case you size ... you get a different stopper. Otherwise, if you don't do this, you get the standard assortment, and will have to "share".

I just received mine today and am giddy to set it up and give it a try.

I thought the cutter heads came with the associated pilot on the Gen 3?

ETA - Spoke to Todd and he stated the cutter heads come with the caliber specific pilots per your order.

Also, you may want to order the $50 brass bin and shaving tray. I didn't and will be ordering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixr and Rathmatik
Indeed, the Gen 3 comes with a cutter head and pilot installed based on the caliber you specify. I was wondering more if you actually needed to order additional cutter heads (with their respective pilots) for other calibers, or if I can just order a Forster 308 pilot and slap that on the same cutter that I'm getting with the trimmer already.

I just ordered mine this morning, so I'll have to follow up on that, wasn't sure how that would fit on my bench just yet. Going to get the trimmer up and running first and see if I need the bin/tray.

Indeed, the Gen 3 comes with a cutter head and pilot installed based on the caliber you specify. I was wondering more if you actually needed to order additional cutter heads (with their respective pilots) for other calibers, or if I can just order a Forster 308 pilot and slap that on the same cutter that I'm getting with the trimmer already.

I just ordered mine this morning, so I'll have to follow up on that, wasn't sure how that would fit on my bench just yet. Going to get the trimmer up and running first and see if I need the bin/tray.
I don't have enough experience with it yet to know. I did, however, order a separate cutter head for each of the calibers I reload (6BR, 260R and 300PRC) so I don't have to deal with changing the pilots or time consuming adjustments to the cutters. I can only assume, since the heads trim and chamfer the inside and outside, that may be why you may want differing cutter heads.

Reactions: Rathmatik
Look at it this way, you are spending a lot of money for top of the line equipment. Its like buying a Ferrari and bitching about having to put premium gas in it. Just buy the cutters for the calibers you got and be done with it.
That's a silly analogy, as we're talking about an additional 10% per caliber (not 0.1%), and I'm not asking for the cost savings alone. For every other trimmer I've used, a new pilot would suffice, rather than a cutter for each one.

Do you think everyone that spends a lot of money just does so blindly without seeing if certain costs are necessary? They would cease to have a lot of money.

As are most once you go down the rabbit hole. Again with the analogies man, your cost comparisons aren't matching up lol. Anyway, I wanted an explanation for the reasoning, rather than blindly buying all the gems. Defender3 already kindly explained the purpose for getting a cutter for each caliber, so the case is closed for now anyhow.

Well, I spoke with Mr. Henderson last night and he said I could swap out pilots on a single cutter. Apparently UltimateReloader recently had a video mentioning the use of either method (cutter per caliber vs. pilot swap). I'll try this and see if it turns out to be a pain or not, which I guess depends on whether I have to largely readjust the chamfer blades each time.

Ya man that would be seriously annoying to try and change the chamfer blades settings between calibers.. I've played with adjusting them and they can be a PITA. I'm curious has anyone else in here had an issue with the pilot leaving a cut like mark on the inside of neck?

I just went ahead and made the investment to get caliber-specific cutters for each caliber that I reload. I have more money than time ... or maybe I have more "lazy" than "busy".

I'm curious has anyone else in here had an issue with the pilot leaving a cut like mark on the inside of neck?
Yes, there was a thread with comments about galling of the inside of the necks from the pilot,
its a known issue with the use of pilots in general.

Yes, there was a thread with comments about galling of the inside of the necks from the pilot,
its a known issue with the use of pilots in general.
Hmm I wonder if I can find it. Cause man I've been dealing with that issue for as long as I have had it.. which sucks and it does definitely effect the seating die depth I've found

Hmm I wonder if I can find it. Cause man I've been dealing with that issue for as long as I have had it.. which sucks and it does definitely effect the seating die depth I've found
Found it...It was written up I think one of the mods using an AMP press and seeing anomalies in the seating pressure.

Original post quoted is here

Quick summary, see thread for more context
Took about 5 min to figure it out.

Just by it’s very nature, if something requires a pilot to work, it will always touch. Otherwise the pilot would not be needed (giruad, IDOD, etc don’t require a pilot).

The minute the brass touches the pilot (almost always) it will always be touching.

Just posting this for discussion, I don't have a horse in this race... 🤠
Here is same OP (different handle), with a New Giraud to replace the Henderson.

The call is well worth the time. I had six case sizes I wanted to cut, and he helped me get exactly what I needed, the first time. I absolutely LOVE my Henderson Case Trimmer.

Pro Tip: Make sure you get a "Stopper Bolt" for EVERY case size you want to trim. That way you can set the depth to your trim length, mark the stopper for that case, and use it every time. Sharing stoppers between cases types is a pain and requires re-setting the depth with each change. Make sure for every case you size ... you get a different stopper. Otherwise, if you don't do this, you get the standard assortment, and will have to "share".
I received about six "stopper" bolts with my purchase. I went ahead and got 6, 6.5, .223, and .30 cutter heads. I could not be happier with this purchase.

I received about six "stopper" bolts with my purchase. I went ahead and got 6, 6.5, .223, and .30 cutter heads. I could not be happier with this purchase.
Have you ever had issues with it galling the inside of the case necks?

That's probably your problem. Neck needs to be a little looser
I don't know.. that's not what Todd says and if you get to much chatter I know that can cause problems as well. But I took and sanded a couple thou off a pilot so that should serve as the same purpose

I was kinda having the same issue. I use bushing dies and after sizing the case wouldn't fit over the pilot. I got a mandrel sizer and/or started using a bigger bushing to open it up a little. All was well after that.

Todd gave me some new pilots and a newer collet that holds the case and that solved my issue