• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt 3-12 vs Premier 3-15

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    Just got the Hensoldt last night (moron UPS driver was trying to deliver to wrong house, damn I hate UPS.)

First impression:
    Image is fantastic and very easy to acquire. Image clarity goes edge-to-edge. At 6X, the tube all but disappears, all you see is image. And it is beautiful.

Turrets are nice, well-spaced clicks, audible and tactile, no mush.

The illumination system ain't my favorite, I prefer Premiers, more idiot-proof. But it works.

The Hensoldt is very forgiving of cheek weld and eye placement, very easy to gt behind. Very.

Will have both on the range tomorrow.

After getting the Premier a few months ago, I didn't see anyone beating their glass (in mine, at least.) Hensoldt does, it seems.

Re: Hensoldt 3-12 vs Premier 3-15

I would love to get behind that scope, do you shoot at Bayou?

I really want to try one of these Hensoldts,especially after all the good reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to get behind that scope, do you shoot at Bayou? </div></div>

American. And some ranges north of town.

Where is Bayou and do they have more than 600 yards?

I have to agree on the glass. It is on a different level than anything I have seen. As soon as I get time I plan to do a comparison between it and my S&B 5-25. Look forward to hearing about it next to the premier. Anyone in the north Dallas area is welcome to give me a shout and set up a peak at mine, compared to a S&B, Nightforce, and an older Mark 4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hensoldt is more expensive, and therefore better.</div></div>

Hater

Bayou Rifles is a private range just outside of Missouri City, and we have a 100, 200, 300, 600, and 1000 yard range. They are getting ready to implement a qualification requirement for beyond 300, however. It's a pretty great place.

Best,
    Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hensoldt is more expensive, and therefore better.</div></div>

Hater </div></div>

Hahaha just let me look through it and I'll stop hatin
    laugh.gif

Holy hell, the view through Hensoldt beats the piss outta everything else I own!

The glass is a little better than Premier, but the site picture: damn! At 6X, the tube all but disappears, it is edge-to-edge pristine image.

If you own anything else, DO NOT look through a Hensoldt unless you're ready to buy more.

I passed the one Lowlight reviewed (3-12)around to more than 25 people, I think Nathan thought I was gonna steal it, the reaction was the same from everybody who looked thru it, "WOW", the color definition is amazing, I wish I could afford some, but for now I got to stick with the working mans scope, NF.

Reactions: Graywolf.260

My only issue is it always comes down to...do I buy a $3000 scope or do I buy another $3000 rifle. So far the rifle seems to win but then I have nice rifles and mediocre scopes. I am sure the scope will win sometime. May be when I get my daughter out of college I can get one.
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got the Hensoldt last night (moron UPS driver was trying to deliver to wrong house, damn I hate UPS.)</div></div>
    Maybe it was his buddy's house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First impression:
    Image is fantastic and very easy to acquire. Image clarity goes edge-to-edge. At 6X, the tube all but disappears, all you see is image. And it is beautiful.

Turrets are nice, well-spaced clicks, audible and tactile, no mush.

The illumination system ain't my favorite, I prefer Premiers, more idiot-proof. But it works.

The Hensoldt is very forgiving of cheek weld and eye placement, very easy to gt behind. Very.

Will have both on the range tomorrow.

After getting the Premier a few months ago, I didn't see anyone beating their glass (in mine, at least.) Hensoldt does, it seems. </div></div>
    Thanks for the comments on the Hensoldt 3-12X and comparison between the two.

Keith

Well, if you want to have HD videos taken through both your scopes to post to the web, let me know. I recently got a custom base made by Precision Rifle Solutions that allows me to attach my rifle scopes to photo tripods. I also shoot at American Shooting Centers.

Have a look through a March and your whole perception on good glass will change drastically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you want to have HD videos taken through both your scopes to post to the web, let me know. I recently got a custom base made by Precision Rifle Solutions that allows me to attach my rifle scopes to photo tripods. I also shoot at American Shooting Centers. </div></div>

If ever, while there, you see someone shooting at 600, come on over and say hi, no one ever shoots at the 600 there (there are blackberries all over the berm, only the initiated know that!)

I might take you up on that.

So you are the guy or part of the group of guys that I see shooting at the 600 occasionally?

I've already qualified to shoot the 600 but haven't yet since I'm still working on the "perfect" load that I want to take with me to the 600. I'm usually next door to you at the 200 and 300.

Person shooting the rifle with the biggest scope (72mm Zeiss) would be me.

Looking forward to the comparative judgements between the two scopes. Particularly if you think it would be worth it to spend an extra $1k+ for the Hensoldt over the Premier.

I have a 72mm Hensoldt and shoot at American Shooting Center. If anyone here wants to take a look at it give me a holler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to the comparative judgements between the two scopes. Particularly if you think it would be worth it to spend an extra $1k+ for the Hensoldt over the Premier. </div></div>

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get the Hensoldt. It's a decision you will never regret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get the Hensoldt. It's a decision you will never regret.
    </div></div>

Care to elaborate? This from an ex-Premier employee who supposedly left amicably? Inquiring minds want to know.

At the recent TC/JC Match, I had the opportunity to look through the Hensoldt that Tony McCullum has. Damn nice optic. That said, I have the S&B 3-12 USMC and love it. I don't feel that it is lacking in any arena. With all my optics, I like continuity (i.e. CCW, MIL/MIL, etc.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Care to elaborate? This from an ex-Premier employee who supposedly left amicably? Inquiring minds want to know.

</div></div>
    No need to stir the pot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No need to stir the pot! </div></div>

I'm not trying to stir anything, just looking for details from a source I trust.

If I'm missing the back-story, please PM me.

It's a sensitive issue and perhaps you should be the one to utilize PM's to inquire from a trusted source!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a sensitive issue and perhaps you should be the one to utilize PM's to inquire from a trusted source! </div></div>

Oh, I see. I apologize, I guess I'm not up on my SH gossip for the month.

Gents - seriously uninterested in drama or "trust me" comments. Just want real comparison of the two. Is the Hendsoldt reticle finer than the Premier? if the sight picture is easy to get is it easier than the premier? What are the turrets like? How useful is the range finder in the reticle? Does the power ring rotate with making the lens cap move as well? How scratch resistant is the finish (I of course don't expect anyone to test this on their own scope but maybe some anecdotal evidence from personal use would be offered).

I have a Premier. It's never been mounted as I'm waiting for the rifle to be finished. I bought the premier because of it's superior glass, reticle and design. If the Hensoldt really outshines in these areas the premier then I'd want to think about a switch.

No stress, no fuss and no bother.

I know RC got a deal on his off the SWFA samplelist, but for us non-pros there can be plenty to regret about devoting to large a share of our shooting budget to a scope. I know I'll be happy w/my Premier for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No need to stir the pot! </div></div>

I'm not trying to stir anything, just looking for details from a source I trust.

If I'm missing the back-story, please PM me. </div></div>

Please don't read too far in to this or make something of it that it is not. I'm not down playing anyones product, I'm just saying the Hensoldt <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> that good.

Nathan told me it was engineered to withstand the rigors of military service, tested at altitude, artic and desert conditions.

My son shot a nice mangement buck with mine yesterday evening. I had to bring it and my 20 pound comp gun hunting just so I can spend some more time behind it. This glass could make you a lawbreaker (legal hunting hours and all). I'm no pro, and it took me a full year too save the money to get mine, and it was worth it. There are other reticals I like better, but the old stand by mildot works allright. I'm still looking for stuff to complain about, and I keep coming up short. Still planing a side by side comparison with my schmidt. Just trying to spend more time with the hensoldt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents - seriously uninterested in drama or "trust me" comments. Just want real comparison of the two. Is the Hendsoldt reticle finer than the Premier? if the sight picture is easy to get is it easier than the premier? What are the turrets like? How useful is the range finder in the reticle? Does the power ring rotate with making the lens cap move as well? How scratch resistant is the finish (I of course don't expect anyone to test this on their own scope but maybe some anecdotal evidence from personal use would be offered).

I have a Premier. It's never been mounted as I'm waiting for the rifle to be finished. I bought the premier because of it's superior glass, reticle and design. If the Hensoldt really outshines in these areas the premier then I'd want to think about a switch.

No stress, no fuss and no bother. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/node/13

http://www.snipershide.com/node/24

At a match we was almost 30 shooters, all with Hensoldts, SuB, Nightforce, Premier and possible a leupold.
    Many scopes was the same model, so there was at least 4 of the 6-24x56 Zeiss etc.
    We did a comparision at the US navys testchart at hundred meters, and mostly shooters agreed that there was a severe differance within the same modell.
    One 6-24 was extremely much better than the others, and same thing to the SuBs, there was an extreme spread in the image quality.

I do also belive that different makes are better for certain individuals as the indivdual eyes not are the same and some people see better with swarovski and others se best with Hensoldt.

Personally I prefer the Hensoldt generally when it comes to optical quality, but the others have various features that I prefer there, and image quality is not everything........

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a match we was almost 30 shooters, all with Hensoldts, SuB, Nightforce, Premier and possible a leupold.
    Many scopes was the same model, so there was at least 4 of the 6-24x56 Zeiss etc.
    We did a comparision at the US navys testchart at hundred meters, and mostly shooters agreed that there was a severe differance within the same modell.
    One 6-24 was extremely much better than the others, and same thing to the SuBs, there was an extreme spread in the image quality.

Håkan </div></div>
    Håkan,

I came across a very similar test setup on the net just recently, quite likely this was the same occasion you are talking about. Apparently they had 23 people fill out very detailed test protocols about different aspects of the scopes. I've noticed in the past (gun magazine articles etc.) that scandinavians have a tendency to do clever and practical test setups with their equipment. Way to go!

This seems to be very much like what was supposed to happen at the "Houston area scope comparison meeting" that was unfortunately cut short by some bad weather.

For those whose swedish reading skills are even worse than mine, there's google translate which gives quite an acceptable result. Note that I'm just posting the link, this is someone else's work and effort and they deserve the credit for doing this. Needless to say though, I'm quite happy with the results, especially since most of the participants probably hadn't seen a Premier scope before and it still came out on top in the technical evaluations despite the presumable lack of "brand loyalty".

PS: For those who just want the captions for the different tables:

Upplösning streck ~ resolution bars
    Upplösning Text ~ resolution text
    Färgblödning ~ color fringing
    Kantskärpa ~ edge sharpness
    ”Tubeffekt” ~ "tunneling effect"
    Reglage ~ handling
    Klick ~ clicks
    Siktbilden ~ sight picture
    Overall = overall (who would have guessed?)
    Medelvärde ~ mean values

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a match we was almost 30 shooters, all with Hensoldts, SuB, Nightforce, Premier and possible a leupold.

I do also belive that different makes are better for certain individuals as the indivdual eyes not are the same and some people see better with swarovski and others se best with Hensoldt.

Personally I prefer the Hensoldt generally when it comes to optical quality, but the others have various features that I prefer there, and image quality is not everything........

Håkan </div></div>

Thanks for this, very interesting that there could be such variance in the quality of the same brand for the same scope. One would have thought there'd be an industry standard for measuring performance of glass - otherwise it seems like an expensive gamble...

If one has only the single Hensoldt to work with, how else can they be sure that they have a high performing one as opposed to one that's in the lower percentile?

Test charts using blocks or bars are still user subjective because they are little more than fine detail eye charts, which is probably why you saw a big swing. People still see what they want to using them and there is no way to remove the human element.

As well depending on the condition and use of each, some coatings could have been damaged or broken down causing another layer of difference between similar brands and models.

After so many years, thousands upon thousands of posts, I have come to the conclusion test charts are a waste of the individual users time because, again, the shooter will see what they want, and in many cases only gauge based upon what they paid or have emotionally invested in. You can line ten shooters up and have them look at the same thing and score the scope and you will get 10 different scores -- so what does it all mean.

Get what you can pay for, and buy what makes "YOU" happy and not worry about what some one saw under whatever conditions in whatever far away place for whatever reason they decided to check something, because for every "plus" you'll find a "minus" and for each there is a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

That is interesting, and I have often suspected that there is limited value in comparing one instance of a brand to one instance of another. You might just be comparing very small quality differences between the lenses that would be just as large as the difference from scope to scope for the same model.

I don't think it is so much a case of glass quality being subjective as there just not being that much of a difference at the high end. Other factors need to come into play... such as features and price... when deciding between these high end scopes.

Yes David you are right, its the same occasion.
    That means that the result was the result after several people had looked in all the scopes.

Lowlight
    You are simply wrong.
    Íf we take those zeiss 6-24 for example, all of them was in good to new condition and still people in the testpanel agreed about the differances. Everybody made his own testchart and they are very much alike when we compared them afterwards.
    The 6-24x72 is my scope, that is typically a scope that should have got the highest score if you were right as people expect it to be best, but it wasent.

I didnt run the test, i was just a part of it.
    The differance betwen different scopes was big and also very surprising.
    And the differance within the brands was big, both on Zeiss 6-24 and SuB 4-16.

Here are some of the charts

Resolution in BARS
    Diagramstreck.gif

Resolution in Letters
    Diagramtext.gif

Colourbleeding
    Diagramfrgbldning.gif

Sightpicture
    this describes how tolerant the sight is for slight movements on the eye/head behind the scope
    DiagramSiktbild.gif

Ovalerall opinion
    DiagramOverall.gif

Håkan

Nice charts, trouble with charts is that they don't indicate real world experience which LowLight has, Franks experience includes field use and instructor time, where every type and brand have been subjected to actual field conditions, there stengths, and failures were noted, so to say he is wrong based on your little scope expo and other peoples reviews is silly. I do agree with you Spuhr that the same scopes can and do have differnt levels of optical clarity resolution whatever big word you want to use, or simply put yours looks like shit compared to mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice charts, trouble with charts is that they don't indicate real world experience which LowLight has, Franks experience includes field use and instructor time, where every type and brand have been subjected to actual field conditions, there stengths, and failures were noted, so to say he is wrong based on your little scope expo and other peoples reviews is silly. I do agree with you Spuhr that the same scopes can and do have differnt levels of optical clarity resolution whatever big word you want to use, or simply put yours looks like shit compared to mine. </div></div>

I think that when he said that LowLight was wrong, he was just pointing out the opinion about resolution tests. It probably could have been worded more politely. The test seems hoakie, for sure. Read an eye chart through a scope... and yet it is the same test that I use to get my glasses prescription. So just because it is crude doesn't mean that it is not effective.

The trick here is that the diopter must be properly focused to the shooter's eye or you will get false resolution readings. This is the real problem that you have with a lot of these tests. But if that element of the test is managed correctly, you should be able to get some valid results. Of course, there is also the brand-loyal effect... that someone could lie about the results. This is possible, but given the fact that this is an eye test and not the Pepsi challenge, I am less worried about this issue cropping up... but it could have an effect, no doubt about it.

For the statistically disinclined, Håkan also posted the standard deviations for the tests (thanks for that)... that is the purple bar. What the SD shows is that while the Premier outperformed most of the S&B's in the tests, eyeballing it, it was short of two standard deviations, which means the better performance of the Premier is not statistically significant... which goes back to a point that LL has been making for a while... the glass is subjective and at the high end, not substantially different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Basically, Håkan and LowLight agree on the results and disagree about how to get there.

Personally, I like both perspectives and I am thankful that someone took the time to do the analysis.

Wow! Well, I have been out of the loop posting for a few days. It is really good to come back to so much positive feedback from so many owners and industry professionals. I really appreciate you all taking the time out to post your experiences as users.

As for Hakan and David S., when I first started this thing I used to get really wrapped around the axle about people making implications that we were somehow inferior, but now enough of them are getting out there that people can hear comments from the actual owners and users. The coments above are from experienced hiders and actual enthusiasts that have been around for longer time than what is required to plug products. The truth has a way of revealing itself in the long run.

Since glass is perceived as objective from many people’s viewpoints here is a fact. We have been in business as the importer for the Hensoldt line of Zeiss military optics for a little over a year. During this time we have never had a scope fail in the field or on the range or returned for mechanical failure. It just doesn’t happen. I am happy to share a summary of this year’s returns. Out of hundreds, to date we have had; 2 cases of negligent damage, one cosmetic defect, and one loose illumination knob. If that isn’t an example of consistent quality, I don’t know what is.

Here are some good reviews for those that are interested:

http://snipershide.com/node/24

http://snipershide.com/node/16

http://snipershide.com/node/13

I you want to see an objective side by side comparison from a different reputable US source see here: http://demigodllc.com/articles/hensoldt-4-16x56-mm-scope-how-does-it-stack-up/?p=1

“With regard to overall least edge to edge distortion and best linearity, the results were unanimous: the Hensoldt had the least distortion when considered over the entire magnification range. The Premier 3-15x50 mm was second in this regard. The differences were only apparent at the edge of the image. The clarity of the majority of the image, other than just the image edge, was the same amongst the Hensoldt, S&B, and Premier. When considered at only maximum power, the Hensoldt, Premier, and S&B 3-12x50 mm PMII were all even with regard to edge distortions: they had none at maximum magnification. The edge distortion of the Nightforce and the US Optics was markedly worse than the other three scopes.” (Zak Smith, http://demigodllc.com/articles/hensoldt-4-16x56-mm-scope-how-does-it-stack-up/?p=3)

Comments from David Fortier Shotgun News, “Not only is Hensoldt’s 4-16x56mm a true military grade tactical scope, but it’s priced in the finest Teutonic tradition. While I could probably justify paying such a sum if my chosen vocation was as a professional marksman, most casual shooters cannot. However this does not take away from the simple fact that this is an outstanding optic. It certainly is among, and possibly is, the finest I have ever had the pleasure of using. It does everything exceptionally well.” (David Fortier, Shotgun News, 18MAY09)

After all, it is the internet. You can find data to support whatever conclusion you want to support here. Weigh all the comments together from owners and professionals. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. The truth does not fear investigation!

Since I haven’t posted in a while I wanted to say thanks especially to Frank and everyone here at SnipersHide.com. You guys make everything we do possible.

Merry Christmas,

Nathan Hunt

Carter Mayfieldthe glass is subjective and at the high end said:
    This really needs to be stressed.

ALL the high end optics have good glass. The conditions in which they are tested have a HUGE bearings on the results, even very slight changes can swing one or the other.

When you are buying at this level, you can not nit pick about the glass. You will find it a futile effort. You need to pick on features, period.

Remember, these things are basically just a tool to focus light. The light available will make big difference in how the final immage looks to the end user.

Some companies produce an optic that excels in lower light, but can wash out in really bright light, some look great in really bright light, but can loose some resolution in low light, some are best in hazy light, but can loose color rendition in yellow or blue ambient light, etc.

What matters is how the end user sees these slight changes, and each end user is different. That is what everything all boils down to. It is going to be a little different for each user.

While charts can be a useful tool, do not count on them. The only way to truely know which scope is your scope is to run all of them, a lot, in every condition, for a long time. Since most of us can't do that, you just have to make a choice (I recomend choosing on features, not glass) and run with it.