• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide Aviation

Who needs a noisy engine? Checked out in a Grob 103 like this one.
I can appreciate less engine noise. Not me in the cockpit but rather the guy who spearheaded the soaring club which resulted in my unexpectedly adding a -G to my CFI. Glider flying is cool as hell.

Attachments

• 479AFB31-3E7E-466D-BBCB-9A3E050F11DD.png
    479AFB31-3E7E-466D-BBCB-9A3E050F11DD.png
    724.9 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: jmp1
This has been one of my favorite threads over at the CMP forums.....

I get email notifications when people update and look forward to the pictures.

Glad to see something similar taking off here and that you airheads are entertaining me.

A few more pics from early 80’s. Sorry about quality - pics of pics.

A Citabria with 115 HP Lycoming. This belonged to a student I was teaching.
CA266666-699C-4BA2-BC57-2F6A91E555CE.jpeg

6FAD3273-631F-46E6-8165-CB5109EAB5A8.jpeg

A Cessna 303. I attended the first ever factory class for this thing.
6281986B-FA96-4DEA-B224-B2AA30F89F8C.jpeg

0665AEF3-4CEA-407D-A693-53D89000679F.jpeg

This was supposed to be attached to the Liberty bell post....

This one went down after a fuel leak/ temp repair gone bad if I'm not mistaken. My Cherokee 235, several posts up is pictured in front of its hanger in Lewistown Mt. Not sure if that was home base or maybe stationed there when it was a base in the past.

Last edited:
I am enjoying this thread. I am not a pilot but my Son is. He flies Flight for Life fixed wing. King Airs and a Lear.
I have wondered why you blank out the N numbers? are they secret stuff or protecting your identity? I DGAF who sees my tag number on my car, maybe I should?

Reactions: Barneybdb
I am enjoying this thread. I am not a pilot but my Son is. He flies Flight for Life fixed wing. King Airs and a Lear.
I have wondered why you blank out the N numbers? are they secret stuff or protecting your identity? I DGAF who sees my tag number on my car, maybe I should?
A majority of corporate aircraft are kept out of sight of stock holders because even in this day it is looked at as an extravagant waste, even though it is a proven fact that corporations that use aircraft make more money than those that don’t. But, all aircraft are easily looked up on the FAA.gov website, revealing plenty of information on the owners. Like you I have no fucks to give anymore so I reveal all registration numbers. 😱

250854294_10116267041914538_945632134023970365_n.jpg

Picture of me rolling the old whip on in LAS circa 2012ish.

I personally took delivery of this aircraft new from Cessna in March 2009, signing the wire transfer and purchase documents at the tender age of 25. Sadly, this aircraft crashed on 30Nov18, killing three employees of my former company including my boss who was better to me than I ever deserved. NTSB Probable Cause: aftermarket Tamarack winglets (installed well after I left to fly boxes) deployed asymmetrically, initiated a left roll that overwhelmed the autopilot, and and put the aircraft into a low-altitude upset that the single pilot could not recover from.

"Fate is the Hunter"

Fuckin lawn dart. I was in Trinidad and Tobago a few weeks ago. In this one hangar was 2 of the nicest Merlin’s I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: Barneybdb

I personally took delivery of this aircraft new from Cessna in March 2009, signing the wire transfer and purchase documents at the tender age of 25. Sadly, this aircraft crashed on 30Nov18, killing three employees of my former company including my boss who was better to me than I ever deserved. NTSB Probable Cause: aftermarket Tamarack winglets (installed well after I left to fly boxes) deployed asymmetrically, initiated a left roll that overwhelmed the autopilot, and and put the aircraft into a low-altitude upset that the single pilot could not recover from.

"Fate is the Hunter"
Have they actually come out with a finding on that accident? The company I was with last year was planning to put those on all of it’s CJ’s. I was planning to walk when/if that happened.

E6B actually. But same airframe. All based off the 707

Yeah, E6B (Navy) and EC-135 (USAF) same/similar mission.

Actually, the USAF KC/EC/RC platforms are different from the 707 platforms. The biggest noticable difference the 707 platform has one Nav position, and the 135 platforms have the room for two Nav positions.

The Air Force does have 707 platforms such as AWACS and JSTARS.

Last edited:

"Fate is the Hunter"
That’s a shame. But I’m curious, how did a winglet “deploy” asymmetrically as they are typically fixed? Mounted incorrectly?

That’s a shame. But I’m curious, how did a winglet “deploy” asymmetrically as they are typically fixed? Mounted incorrectly?
IIRC these winglets actually have a moving control surface, sort of like an aileron but they call it like a load changing device or something.

My brother (retired ATP as well) always called them San Antonio Sewer Pipes 😊. Not a dig on the aircraft as we all know, most airframes tend to acquire nicknames.

Fat
Little
Ugly
Fucker

Aka, 737 😁
Specifically the -200 series. Last one I flew had a gravel kit on it.

Another career guy here. Mostly AK flying, lots of 135 ops, with 121 cargo after 2014. Just finished my (hopefully!) last type on the A320, at (again hopefully!) my last airline, going to try this domestic pax stuff.

Reactions: Baron23
The extension of the wing tip that the winglet is attached to has little structure internally in order to save weight, therefore it can’t endure any load. The “ailerons” float in trail until a load is detected (aerodynamically) and then move to alleviate the load. The system is entirely self contained and not “controllable” by the pilot.

Reactions: Badfinger
AA669C70-315E-4606-8FF4-4FFE6C42524C.jpeg

Imagine this big-ass control surface, outboard of the aileron (removed in picture), that is 100% automagically controlled by a computer that you can only deactivate by pulling a c/b, deciding on its own to fully deflect.

View attachment 7753422

Imagine this big-ass control surface, outboard of the aileron (removed in picture), that is 100% automagically controlled by a computer that you can only deactivate by pulling a c/b, deciding on its own to fully deflect.
Doesn’t look/sound like a good idea to me. New and modern disappointments.

A few pictures of a B52 repair at Loring AFB. The aircraft crashed on takeoff (nose gear collapsed). The AF cut the nose section off and stuffed it all in a hanger. We (Boeing crew) put it back in the air.
Damage.jpg

Fuselage.jpg

nose.jpg

above.jpg

wiring.jpg

Picture of a picture. My cfi is flying the inverted t6. He was one of the founding members of the Condor Squadron. Also flew c47s during D-Day. He’s been dead 5 years now. Greatest generation for sure.
View attachment 7753766

Had to respond to a crash of a T6.

It was one of those "Fly a real WWII Fighter" charters.

Guy in the back seat was given the ride for his birthday. He lived.

He now has two reasons to celebrate.

The Duchess became the only twin that I would teach multi in. The Baron/Travelaire are notorious for their unforgiving single engine flat spin which has killed numerous people because the airplane is unrecoverable. I had a friend, another instructor, that I warned about these characteristics. Unfortunately my warnings were in vain. Beech used the NACA 23000 series airfoil on everything (Cessna used it on the 500/550 Citations and 441 Conquest). NASA wasted 4 Barons trying to figure it out. Beech pulled the plug, refusing to give them anymore. The test pilots had quick release doors and parachutes of course. The Bonanza has the same wing and will also flat spin. It is equally un-recoverable.

I spoke with an instructor at Fly Right in North Carolina during a tour of their facility. He advised me that “Beech really screwed up on the 350”. I asked what he meant. It seams that he and some of the other instructors had been playing with the 350 and 200 sims after hours and discovered the stall characteristics of the 350. I explained to him that the 350 is a level D simulator and the 200 is only a level A sim. The level D has actual aerodynamic data whereas the level A does not and doesn’t actually represent the airplane. I was amazed that he was teaching the 350 and was unaware of this.

The Musketeer/Duchess have a relatively unsophisticated airfoil.

Edited
For those here that are or have been members of PRO PILOT WORLD forum, my user name on that forum when I was active there was KACFI. I taught King Air for both FlightSafety and Simcom.

Last edited: