• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Highway exit renumbering......

Growing up in Colorado, we had mile markers as far back as I can remember, just a number, and everyone knew it represented a mile.

In the County I live in now, they replaced all the mile marker signs with a sign that now says "MILE XX". What a waste of money and resources.

Next thing they will do is add the Spanish word for Mile for those that can't read English.
Well, the entire country put up Km signs in addition to the mile posts as a result of Carter trying to switch us over to the metric system. Then they pulled up all the mile posts...then put them back and pulled the Km posts. That was a wonderful cost/benefit exercise.

Rand McNally road maps are expensive. Can't be replacing them every time the State decides to change the exit numbers.
Yeah, well...I can't remember the year - it was after car GPS units came out, but they weren't that common yet. I remember cursing GADOT profusely once I finally figured out what was going on. The atlas was literally from like a year before they changed them, and as I recall, all of them hadn't even been changed over yet. It was a crap storm. Prior to that I don't remember ever seeing exits numbered sequentially.

I did laugh when they put mile markers on US2 through Michigan's U.P. and started at the wrong end. they went up in number as you traveled west, the opposite of the standard. I wondered if the same guys had to take them down and redo it from the other direction and how long it took them.
That's a lonely road at night.

The Jade Helm OIC needs another bullet on its OER.

I have been to the south and their numbering system is weird to me.
Out west we do it by mile marker and it makes a shit ton more sense to me.

When was that? 45 years ago?

There isn't a state in the south where exits are not numbered by milepost. It's been that way for decades now, certainly since 1988 when I moved to Orlando to go to the Navy's nuclear power school.

I was wrong about exit 40 in Florida. It's Exit 40 in Alabama (I think)
I guess people that rely on their in car GPS don't need mile markers.
"You are now off track"
On the gulf coast you can make it across one or two states without worrying about gas.
Except Texas and Florida.

You have to have limited intelligence if changing the exit number taxes your brain in any way shape or form.

What I really want to see is an overnight change to metric. Strip every fucking mileage and speed limit sign and replace them with same in metric. For speed limits, round up to the nearest 5 (so 70 mph = 115 kph)

Then enjoy watching the shitshow
Does that mean everyone will switch to mils, too?

The chronological system is like driving on the left.

"What exit number is our exit?". "What mile marker did we just pass?".

Driving in Florida where Exit 7 is 72 miles from exit 6. With no way to know.

That sounds like the Beeline expressway. It's a toll road created by Yankees.
None of the toll roads follow the MM/Exit # system.
I live east of I-75, Exit 250.
Here is a screen shot of actual mileage at each exit.
Mine is listed as Gibsonton aka Carnietown.

Screenshot_20210118-094905_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Jefe's Dope

There isn't a state in the south where exits are not numbered by milepost. It's been that way for decades now, certainly since 1988 when I moved to Orlando to go to the Navy's nuclear power school.

Don't remember which state(s), but some were still chronological when I returned stateside in 85. I'm thinking I10 was still old school when I first traveled to the panhandle...but memory fades with age.

At least it's not Puerto Rico, where 122 years after US possession road distances are still in kilometers (but speed limits are in mph 🤷‍♀️) and gas is sold by the liter.

Retards

Reactions: Rocketvapor
You familiar with Wyoming Antelope Club?

I know of it, and I've been on site, but never shot there.
We have a hide member that shoots there and also at JTAC.
It's also in commie land (Pinellas County), so I stick to my hood. 😁😁

I'm much closer to Manatee (45 mins) and about 18 minutes from JTAC.

I know of it, and I've been on site, but never shot there.
We have a hide member that shoots there and also at JTAC.
It's also in commie land (Pinellas County), so I stick to my hood. 😁😁

I'm much closer to Manatee (45 mins) and about 18 minutes from JTAC.

JTAC is a little closer. Still getting my bearings. What type competitions do they host?

England and Canuckistan ain't no betta.

Canada is actually more metric than the UK. At least in Canada everything official is in metric, including distances and speeds.

In England, at least the distances and speed limits are in the same system of units.

PR is some kind of stupid when distances are in km and speeds in miles/hr. It's MIL/MOA of state DOTs......

JTAC is a little closer. Still getting my bearings. What type competitions do they host?
Tactical games final was hosted a couple months ago. Also did tactical games before they were open to the public.

The 24th they are having a PRS match.
You should attend.

They have a calendar of events, but it's on FB so I have no idea what else is on it.
Their website calendar doesn't match FB, but I do know that they are having issues with the folks in charge of aligning all the events.

If you get a chance to come down this way, I'll bring you as a guest.

@EddieNFL are you not in the Panhandle?
I recall you mentioning buying a new house.
Did you move to central FL?

Appreciate the invite, but a spine injury prevents me from lying behind a rifle. Can't lift my head enough to the see sights. These days, I'm pretty much a handgunner.

Moved to Winter Haven In mid November. So far I've shot an IDPA match in Fort Meade and a rimfire challenge in Orlando. Thinking of trying ICORE this weekend.

Makes it easier to add exits as they are added. Started on the east coast 20 some years ago. Maybe longer since it was probably the 90's.

Might make sense out west /less populated but in the north east where the national and state roads are the same at times and exits are closer than or at 1 mile at a lot of places.
Might get sketchy
Exit 12A...12B...12C...

It's not rocket surgery.

Atlanta, GA around 2002. Damn how time flies, feels like 10 years ago.

Appreciate the invite, but a spine injury prevents me from lying behind a rifle. Can't lift my head enough to the see sights. These days, I'm pretty much a handgunner.

Moved to Winter Haven In mid November. So far I've shot an IDPA match in Fort Meade and a rimfire challenge in Orlando. Thinking of trying ICORE this weekend.
They do have some benches at each shooting area in case you're able to do that.
They also have a section where you can run and gun, engage multiple targets and do moving mag changes with pistol or carbine.

We're not too far apart with you being in Winterhaven. I'm in Lithia/Fishawk.
You might want to change your screen name to EddieCFL. 😂

Last edited:
Feds are requiring all states to renumber Interstates so that exit number = Mile marker.

I happen to live in a state that is now changing over from chronological numbering - south (low) to north (high) and west (low) to east (high).

I really dont care either way but Im betting 3/4 of the population will lose their shit with this change.

What conspiracy theories go with it?

Secret UN maps require it? Thats how China does it?
Job creation and the Aluminum Lobby.

Our state is refusing to change. But is "Adding" small signs that give the mile number. First intelligent thing I've seen from the turd burglars in our legislature in years.

Sirhr

I have been to the south and their numbering system is weird to me.
Out west we do it by mile marker and it makes a shit ton more sense to me.
You need exit 12 and just passed mile marker 300 you have 288 miles to go. It helps to know distance to destination.
If you see exit 28 and you need exit 12 you know you have 16 miles.
Down south if you see exit 28 and you need 12 it is an arbitrary distance. At speed, time equals distance, exits by mile marker let you manage time.

PS, you like to know distance to target correct? Well that is what exit by mile marker gives you.
First, @pmclaine is in Massachusetts and that (having spent some time there) is maybe one of the most fucked up states of all for driving.
Second, as you may notice, I live (lifetime) in Alabama. I spend a lot of time on the highways of AL, GA, TN, KY, FL and MS and nowhere have I seen the interstate exits done any other way than by mile marker.
We have been known to give directions to people such as "as the crow flies", "go down to where the Greyhound bus stop used to be, then keep going to the next left turn", or "turn right down at Mr. Tucker's driveway, roll down your window and ask him how to git thar from his place".
But only to tourist from Utah! :alien:

• Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
I guess people that rely on their in car GPS don't need mile markers.
"You are now off track"
I was working the coastal GA area once when I got a call asking me to meet up with a dealer in Hinesville, GA. I put his addy in the GPS and struck off for Hinesville. It took me off an exit of I95 onto two lane highway and, after about 25 miles of noticing there was nothing but pine trees along the road, I saw a sign. It said WATCH FOR TANKS.
Needless to say I did. About 3 miles farther and a convoy of troops crossed the road in front of me. Maybe a dozen assorted military vehicles but no tank (who are they kidding). I begin to wonder. Then, I see a big concrete blockade in he middle of said highway with no where to turn around except to use the gate at Ft Stewart. So what can happen ? Just tell them you're lost, turn around and drive away right? Uh, dude you have twenty guns in the back of your SUV! :eek::poop:
MP peeks in, sees my GPS on the dash, turns to the other MP and says"we got another one!"
GULP!
Then he laughs, says it happens all the time and tells me how to really go to Hinesville.
I wish that was the ONLY time that GPS ever made my drive "interesting".

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Hang on to your ass when some "Official" in your state's DOT travels to Europe and sees International, as in European signage, and then knows it is easy to follow and comes home with those thoughts in mind.
I worked and retired from Colorado Dept. of Highways and at a big District meeting with all of the troops present, the "Officials" announced that they were going to do a test run of that signage for several miles somewhere down by Pueblo and they were just certain that it would work just great for everyone.
In my 72 years I have been all over the world and knew what that signage would consist of and what we have now and knew it would be a major undertaking and a lot of money involved.
Looking at and listening to these "Engineers" from the Brain Dept. at that meeting I knew it was doomed from the start and I was laughing uncontrolablly and upset the whole meeting.
When I got myself under control I got out of my seat and walked to the front of the meeting and told the 3 of them that they had no idea at all as to how much that would cost nor how many signs would be required for that, and signs are not cheap.
I took 3 $100 bills out of my wallet and told the 3 of them that I bet $100 to each that this shit would never work out and handed the 3 bills to the secratary keeping the notes and had her put them in envelopes with the names written on each of them as they accepted the bet, to be put in the safe and held for a year later.

She didn't like it but was from my home office and did it. After the meeting my foreman got on my ass like dirty underwear that I had "embarassed him" with my conduct. My answer to him was,"No, you embarassed ME that you would fall into such a stupid stunt."

A year passed, and at the next Annual Big Meeting during the Q&A period I brought up International signage and how did that work out? Crickets.
The same Brain Dept. people I had made the bets with were not there, but my foreman was, and I again walked forward and told him to pay up as he was "embarrassing me" with his conduct.

The secratary had the envelopes in hand, as she hated him as much as I did, and called out the other 2 names with no answers.

He didn't have the money on hand, but, he did pay later and he never fucked with me again.

In this case, seniority, being vested, and a person who worked hard and had Zero fucks to give and wanted to just keep those trucks running won and I never backed down and could always remember what had been said and done.

Goddamn, I am glad I am out of there, but fear for the people that replaced me upon my retirement, and it is 2 instead of 1 and I had asked for help for years but never got it as I was able to do the job by myself. I would have loved having a helper that I could have shown how things were done.

So, today, in my shop, as I left it, there are 2, where I was 1, by myself. 1 does the computer and 1 does the fixing and neither one of them can weld so a lot of things are "farmed out" to other shops. I never "farmed" out anything other than engine repacemant and that went to the Shop in Brush where I would take part and we worked together as a team, as I now know what that is, as I had no overhead hoist. Neither can do a simple brake job and know to replace the seals in the hubs when you do a job like that, but my old tools and seal drivers are there in that shop. They have no idea as to what they are nor how to use them.
Neither has any idea as to what the anchor points are in the floor as to straightening a frame or how to bend shit back into place.

I guess this is progress such as I never saw coming. Rant over. FM

They do have some benches at each shooting area in case you're able to do that.
They also have a section where you can run and gun, engage multiple targets and do moving mag changes with pistol or carbine.

We're not too far apart with you being in Winterhaven. I'm in Lithia/Fishawk.
You might want to change your screen name to EddieCFL. 😂

The NFL means "in Florida", so still applicable. 😎