• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

History Lesson from the Great War

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Hi Hiders,

While going through my Dad’s stuff I came across a few awesome pieces of history. Not only my own, but our countries.

My Father’s Grandfather immigrated to to the United States and enlisted to fight in the Great War. I have his original documents of the time, and welcome everyone to check out the “small” and larger details highlighting his trip from immigrant solider to United States Citizen.

My Great Grandfather’s Discharge Papers
    ED024FE4-B014-41D9-883A-A70D1A8F16D8.jpeg

BCDC3EC8-CE82-4C1D-838A-EB66D1B298FE.jpeg

Then upon return the City of Bridgeport welcomed him home
    99631AB9-828E-4D52-8BAB-1DAD3E3533F5.jpeg

In 1924 he was Naturalized as a US Citizen. I will note my Grandmother did not receive her citizenship in 1942, where as my Father was born in 1940.

0F0C6FBD-CDC1-4177-A3AF-5AE101707B4F.jpeg

I wish I had the same for his Father but this is awesome

Here are the papers from Italy.
    DFE6262C-2FB3-4987-9A1B-886807D09F88.jpeg

3927F242-4009-418F-9E75-623F20154C5A.jpeg

The Man himself, my Great Grandfather Leonardo,
    FB836026-51F4-4D4D-8699-F0D8C6DDB0E0.jpeg

That is amazing that those documents have survived. Isnt it a great feeling to hold in your hand the same papers that your forefathers held?

Just imagine how much those papers meant to those fine gentlemen. It would mean the world to me, that if over 100 years from now, my great and great great grandchildren have a little something left of mine that they hold so dear.

Great post, its terrific that you still have those papers that meant the world to your forefathers.

Very cool pictures and what a great piece of family history.
    The picture of your GGF is great. The look of a gentleman. That mustache is greatness!

That's awesome.

When we had to move my grandmother to assisted living we cleaned out her attic and found literally 200 years of family pictures and documents in her attic, including a family Bible from the early 1800s. Almost overwhelming to try and preserve and catalog.

Go Army,, thanks for sharing that Frank. Took balls to make the leap and emigrate and even bigger ones to join up in the New Country to go back to the Old World to kill Germans. Similar story in my family, except they came on the potato boat.

A 4 ' 11 inch giant, who rocks a kick ass stache.

I have always wondered what it is like to have a family history like that. You are a lucky man.

Hi Frank
    The last name spelling in the US documents refers to Mobillio or Mobilio while the Italian documents refer to Mobilia. Interesting.
    Birth certificate, September 16, 1889. Montecalvo Irpino
    Death certificate July 4 (?) 1959 Montecalvo Irpino. He passed away in Italy?

Mobilio is my grandmother, while Galli is my Grandfather.

I never knew much about my Grandmother’s side, she is Antonetta in the documents.

They did go back and forth as was the way back in the day.

My grandfathers family is still in contact and I have FaceTimed them over there. They live in Laterza Apulia Italy. Own a cafe and the area is very rich with his family. We have a family crest, a mausoleum etc, there.

The Mobilio side has mostly gone from the area here, I have few living relatives around Bridgeport.

My grandmother passed when I was in boot camp, and my grandfather when I was deployed, so I never got to attend the funeral and meet her side at the time when it would have registered better.

Great pieces of history. I have my great grandfathers original Chelsea Pensioner Discharge Papers in 1861 from the Irish Regiment of Foot in a frame at the house. Served 21 years and fought in the Crimea as well as being stationed in India. Returned to Ireland after being discharged and sired 9 Children. This hangs next to my fathers B-24 crew picture where he was a ball turret gunner in the 15th AAF flying out of Italy.

Cool stuff. It's good to know where your family comes from. Thank you.