• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

History of the SR25

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey y’all - figured this would get better/more accurate info and/or more responses in the vintage section at this point.

At this particular point, I have only 2 questions to start:

1) Chris Bartocci claims that the first SR25’s actually used Remington sourced 5R barrels..?? Is this true? I thought they used Obermeyer from the beginning of the SR25 up to like ~2006-2008 or so.?
2) That there was one, if not multiple SR25’s present at, and used, in the Battle of Mogadishu? True or false?
@FatBoy
@__JR__

Last edited:
You must be thinking of someone else. I was in Germany when Somalia was going to shit.

Hey y’all - figured this would get better/more accurate info and/or more responses in the vintage section at this point.

At this particular point, I have only 2 questions to start:

1) Chris Bartocci claims that the first SR25’s actually used Remington sourced 5R barrels..?? Is this true? I thought they used Obermeyer from the beginning of the SR25 up to like ~2006-2008 or so.?
2) That there was one, if not multiple SR25’s present at, and used, in the Battle of Mogadishu? True or false?
@FatBoy
@__JR__
NSWDG had personnel on the ground in Somalia during the 10/3-4/1993 events. 5 of them were awarded Silver Stars.
NSWDG had SR-25s at the time.
If you read either of Wasdin's books, he has no pictures of SR-25s but there were M14s:

Best source of whether or not SR-25s were on the ground would be Wasdin or Rick Kaiser at the UDT/SEAL Museum.

Reactions: camocorvette
I know of at least one issued to a guy named Gonzales, I think -- don't remember if Army or Navy. He shot a couple of guys moving crew-served or RPGs (both within Rules of Engagement).

IIRC, the SR25 there had some aerial platform use, nsw, there. I sat through one debrief Danny McKnight did along with one aerial platform sniper in the same symposium. I don't remember any more than that.

A group of friends I was with (all Active Duty or Air National Guard Pilots) bought 10 of the first ones at SHOT 94' in Dallas. Reed Knight offered us the same version that he made for the first OT&E he was sending to Ft. Bragg. They all had Remington 5R barrels with the KMC suppressor mount and Krieger/Milazzo triggers. We were there for the pictures of Stoner and Kalashnikov together, which was pretty much the deal closer. I stopped by Vero Beach that summer to see his museum, and Eric Kincel sold me the prototypes for the Rail Interface System which Tony Marfione designed. I went down the dirt road to Tony's new shop and bought all the original first generation L-UDT's he had for the same group. Butch Vallotton was there teaching Tony to use his new CNC machine. I ran into Butch at the 7/11 before the Orlando Airport and he offered me his demo knives he brought so he wouldn't have to check his bag. I was tapped out, and that was one of the top two dumbest things I ever didn't do. Reed asked Eric for the RIS's for his museum collection. It didn't end well.

IIRC KAC had a shitshow with its first deliveries to Campbell and SOTIC.

Busted ass to straighten it out, too. Trigger failures. But did get it squared away.

I think I am remembering SR-25 deliveries… or maybe mushrooms are messing up my memory. (Look it up)

Sirhr

Got written up in Army Times, embarrassed him pretty bad. Broke some bolt stops too. Was a bad lot of them.

Very very early 25s.
Screenshot_20211230-080511_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211230-080455_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-215609_Samsung Internet.jpg

Source: Shotgun News, August 1, 2011:

"From 1993-1995, U.S. special operations personnel deployed SR-25 Match Rifles with screw-on muzzle sound suppressors in Somalia. In August 1995, 80 SR-25 Match Rifles with Leupold scopes were purchased by US-SOCOM.
From 1996 through 1999, Knight's Armaments received valuable feedback from U.S. Special Operations personnel about a new model: the SR-25 Special Military Lightweight (SpLW) Match Rifle with a 20-inch barrel and a new and shorter quick-detachable sound suppressor."

One anecdote I recall is that a Crane small arms engineer took Reed Knight to a range where they tested SR-25 serial #000001, and he mentioned that the old AR-10 'waffle-pattern' magazines were not always reliable, and that was an area that KAC worked to fix (among other issues as noted). Source of pic: The World's Assault Rifles (2010) by Johnson and Nelson
IMG_2416.jpg

Fwiw, here's parts collected for a quasi-replica Mk 11 Mod 0, but with a poor man's LMT lower instead of KAC, but I still don't have an upper.
Mk 11 Mod 0 parts1_102021_v2.jpg

I have a salty Mk 11 Mod 0 transport case as well. It's a back burner project that I hope to complete one year....

Last edited:
Armalite uppers (though you'll have a different barrel nut thread pitch) and BCGs will fit on an LMT. May save you some time, money, and frustration.

Centurion Arms uppers are a direct clone swap, but haven't seen any in a couple of years. Matrix uppers may, but they have a forward assist (vice the KAC-LMT without).

MK11-B-762-UPPER_00.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what the original Crane/SOCOM RFP required back in late 1990s for what became the Mk 11 Mod 0, but I think I did uncover the US Army SASS accuracy spec requirements, which I presume is circa 2004ish):

W15QKN-05-R-0433

"The US Army ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806 has a requirement for a 7.62mm semi-automatic sniper system (SASS) capable of delivering precision fire primarily on anti-personnel targets out to a range of 1,000 meters. This system must be a man portable, shoulder fired system utilizing military standard 7.62 x 51 mm caliber ammunition but optimized for the open-tip M118LR long range ammunition. Additionally, M993 Armor Piercing (AP) ammunition will be fired based on specific mission requirements. Compatibility with the existing family of military 7.62 x 51mm caliber ammunition is also required. The SASS shall be capable of safely firing all current U. S. standard 7.62x51mm ammunition and the weapon shall be optimized to fire the M118LR cartridge. Additionally, dual-purpose, anti-personnel/armor piercing ammunition shall have the level of accuracy compatible with SASS (desired) target and range requirements.

..."After the rifle is zeroed, the accuracy of the rifle shall be equal to or greater than the M24 SWS. Accuracy shall be measured in minutes of angle. The dispersion of the zeroed rifle, when shoulder fired, shall be equal to or better than the dispersion of the M24 SWS. Dispersion shall be calculated as Average Mean Radius (AMR) as measured at 600 meters. Dispersion characteristics for each lot of ammunition will be provided prior to the start of testing. All targets shall be fired on using M118LR Ammunition or equivalent using five (5) round groups.

The radial distance from the calculated center of impact of the first target compared to the calculated center of impacts of subsequent targets shall be less than or equal to 1.0 Minutes of Angle (MOA). After the rifle is zeroed on the target with the rifle day optic scope, there shall be a minimum of 15 MOA of windage adjustment (in both the left and right directions) and sufficient elevation adjustment to engage targets at 800 meters (1000 meters desired)."

Btw, I emailed Centurian Arms re their AR-10 style receivers, here's what they told me last week:

"...We did have them available last year...it's just that things have sold out so quickly since Covid started. It's crazy! We do have MK11 receivers on the production list...but it will likely be several months out still. We are in the process of moving to a new location. Once we get the new shop up and running, we will have a dedicated machine for receivers and the MK11s will be going on there. Sorry I don't have anything for you currently."

...Perhaps I can snag one later this year....but then the hard part comes - a replica of a Mk 11 Mod 0 barrel (since I don't think I'll see a new KAC Mk 11 barrel).

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
KAC really needs to do some vintage runs of legacy guns. They would sell like crazy.

Old MK11's, Mod0 SR15s, SR16 uppers.

I was at the KAC facility a few months ago. Its massive, its like a small town.

Really would love to know why their productions numbers are so small. With the demand they have they could produce 3 or 5 times the product and it would sell. I don't know of any large contracts they are servicing. Its not like they are making hundreds of thousands of rail systems or thousands of SR25's for the Army. Maybe they run super lean to account for lean gun years?

Reactions: Bluedog82
Really would love to know why their productions numbers are so small.
Answer: KAC prices are quite high. For example, the M110 w/ a full deployment kit as shown on a vendor's website was I think $22k(!) for all this stuff. Their business model is likely geared towards the US military and well-funded federal law enforcement entities, with a very few "trade-ins" or "over-runs" that were available on the private market in the recent past. That's my impression, as most parts for a Mk 11 or M110 are almost non-existent it seems.
M110_full_deployment_kit.jpg

...For Uncle Sam/SOCOM/Big Army those prices are doable, but for a typical civilian, its limited to only those who can afford such a nice range toy...
I could go on with other examples, but even a basic Mk 11/Mod 0 is a $7500 rifle and that doesn't include a suppressor. I want one, but my pockets are not that deep, and I'm not ready to sell 2 or 3 my replica M1A/M14 projects to justify one nice KAC replica rifle in the safe. My 2cts.

I read two years ago that SOCOM was swapping its uppers for a new KAC "M110K1" upper in 6.5 Creedmoor (per this article), but don't know much more than that. It's a SOCOM thing only, so volume is probably some what limited, but no idea what they are charging for that new upper...probably $$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: 96coal449
Answer: KAC prices are quite high. For example, the M110 w/ a full deployment kit as shown on a vendor's website was I think $22k(!) for all this stuff. Their business model is likely geared towards the US military and well-funded federal law enforcement entities, with a very few "trade-ins" or "over-runs" that were available on the private market in the recent past. That's my impression, as most parts for a Mk 11 or M110 are almost non-existent it seems.
View attachment 7787705
...For Uncle Sam/SOCOM/Big Army those prices are doable, but for a typical civilian, its limited to only those who can afford such a nice range toy...
I could go on with other examples, but even a basic Mk 11/Mod 0 is a $7500 rifle and that doesn't include a suppressor. I want one, but my pockets are not that deep, and I'm not ready to sell 2 or 3 my replica M1A/M14 projects to justify one nice KAC replica rifle in the safe. My 2cts.

I read two years ago that SOCOM was swapping its uppers for a new KAC "M110K1" upper in 6.5 Creedmoor (per this article), but don't know much more than that. It's a SOCOM thing only, so volume is probably some what limited, but no idea what they are charging for that new upper...probably $$$.
KAC prices for some things are understandable. Its federal law under FAR/DFAR they can't sell the same thing cheaper commercially than they do to the government. And keep in mind that price includes support which can range from guys from KAC on site training, wrenching to them sending guns back to KAC to get new Barrels installed.

The issue I have is they just seem to make so little product and since they don't seem to have any large contract/procurements, its makes you wonder why they aren't putting out more stuff. The waitlist for a SR15 upper or gun is over a year right now directly through Lawmans (Their retail company). Maybe they are making OEM products for other companies or focusing on other stuff?

The dates on these pictures are interesting, August 1992 and January 1993. The early civilian sales of the SR-25 Match Rifles were happening almost in parallel. The markings look slightly different (address on the right vs. left), but the configuration appears to be the same.
Nice early SR-25s, they look pristine. Thanks for the pics(!).

My understanding of the history is that Reed Knight provided some no-cost civilian SR-25 Match rifles to Crane around 1992-93 and asked them to test them. The military threaded the 24" barrels for a suppressor and some of these prototypes apparently went to Somalia for field testing. The field reports must have been positive enough, given that 80 SR-25s were purchased in 1995 by SOCOM, and some were used according to Larry Vickers by Delta Force. I suspect the rollmarks on those rifles were similar to your 92-93 rifles, as the "Mk 11 Mod 0" military nomenclature didn't occur until I think 2000 contract award? (In other words, I don't know if the "pre Mk 11 Mod 0" rifles had a military designation in the mid-1990s, other than "SR-25" rifle).

My impression is that Crane worked with KAC for years and provided input re improvement opportunities, and so I imagine dozens of civilian-based SR-25s were being used by SOCOM/NSW/Delta/SF, etc in the mid-to-late 1990s, getting refined along the way (shorter 20" barrels, new handguards, sights, development of the quick detachable sound suppressor, improved mags, etc). Re the waffle mags, I recall an engineer at Crane telling me the original AR-10 waffle mags had issues re reliability, and that was one of the things that Reed Knight agreed to address during the product improvement process circa mid-1990s). The first 365 Mk 11 Mod 0s were ordered I think in May 2000 for NSW, and they were stamped with that nomenclature. That's all I know.

Last edited:
Nice early SR-25s, they look pristine. Thanks for the pics(!).

My understanding of the history is that Reed Knight provided some no-cost civilian SR-25 Match rifles to Crane around 1992-93 and asked them to test them. The military threaded the 24" barrels for a suppressor and some of these prototypes apparently went to Somalia for field testing. The field reports must have been positive enough, given that 80 SR-25s were purchased in 1995 by SOCOM, and some were used according to Larry Vickers by Delta Force. I suspect the rollmarks on those rifles were similar to your 92-93 rifles, as the "Mk 11 Mod 0" military nomenclature didn't occur until I think 2000 contract award? (In other words, I don't know if the "pre Mk 11 Mod 0" rifles had a military designation in the mid-1990s, other than "SR-25" rifle).

My impression is that Crane worked with KAC for years and provided input re improvement opportunities, and so I imagine dozens of civilian-based SR-25s were being used by SOCOM/NSW/Delta/SF, etc in the mid-to-late 1990s, getting refined along the way (shorter 20" barrels, new handguards, sights, development of the quick detachable sound suppressor, improved mags, etc). Re the waffle mags, I recall an engineer at Crane telling me the original AR-10 waffle mags had issues re reliability, and that was one of the things that Reed Knight agreed to address during the product improvement process circa mid-1990s). The first 300 Mk 11 Mod 0s were adopted I think in May 2000 for NSW, and they were stamped with that nomenclature. That's all I know.

Thanks for the added information. I would like to see Knights write up some history on the early development and sales of the SR-25's.

The first rifle pictured above still has the preservative tube in the barrel, it was just removed for the pictures. It has the original Gun Guard case and shipping box from Knights.

Some of you have probably seen these, but I'll attach a couple pictures of Eugene Stoner and Reed Knight with an early SR_25 Match Rifle.

Attachments

• eugene-stoner-580dc537-40ad-4f30-8d37-193c858f464-resize-750.jpg
    eugene-stoner-580dc537-40ad-4f30-8d37-193c858f464-resize-750.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 691
  • reed-knight-eugene-stoner-675x450.jpg
    reed-knight-eugene-stoner-675x450.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 745
Thanks for the pics. The SR-25 rifle that Eugene Stoner is holding was the last firearm that he developed. He died in 1997 from cancer, so I imagine that those two pics were the early to mid-1990s era.

Thanks for the added information. I would like to see Knights write up some history on the early development and sales of the SR-25's.
The August 1, 2011 issue of Shotgun News has the general history re gov't orders of KAC up thru that date. I wish a book was written on SOCOM's small arms development activity over the past few decades, as I think there is a lot of interest in that history of innovation.

My Special Forces company sniper teams had SR-25s long before they were standardized-adopted as Mark 11s -- I suspect they were true commercial off-the-shelf.
Yep, here's what that Shotgun News article from August 2011 noted (history was provided by Dave Lutz of KAC for that article).
I think the rifles sold in the 1990s were basically commercial SR-25 Match rifles (except the barrels, which might have been threaded by KAC):

1. In 1992, commercial sales commenced of the SR-25 Match Rifle with 24" barrel, followed shortly there after w/ the SR-25 Standard Rifle w/ 20" barrel w/ M16A2 type handguards and a fixed front sight.
2. Military Field testing in 1993-1995 in Somalia with "screw-on sound suppressors," but number of rifles fielded was unstated in article. Clearly based on pics, the 5th SFG had some, and likely others had these T&E samples with 24" barrels as well, etc. Article doesn't say who threaded the barrels for the suppressor, but my guess is KAC.
3. 80 SR-25 Match Rifles purchased in August 1995 by US-SOCOM, these were presumably the 24" barreled versions, and I assume potentially used by various SOCOM soldiers (SEALs/Rangers/Special Forces/DELTA, etc). Feedback to KAC was for an SR-25 rifle with a shorter barrel, ie, 20".
4. December 1999, U.S. Army Special Forces purchased 45 of newer 20" barreled SR-25, aka SpLW Match version of the SR-25, and 45 of the new quick-detachable KAC suppressors. (I would consider those 45 SF rifles as basically the Mk 11 Mod 0 prototypes.)
5. March of 2000, the first 365 Mk 11 Mod 0 systems were ordered by SOCOM, which were the first of the actual Mk 11 Mod 0s.
6. By March of 2005 a total of 1,020 Mk 11 Mod 0s had been delivered to US-SOCOM via the Navy, Army and USMC (only 10 rifles, presumably for evaluation purposes).
7. An additional 503 were purchased by other US Government agencies and associated organizations by 2005, etc.
8. KAC won the SASS contract in Sept 2005, and the first 15 of the newly adopted US Army M110s were sent to Ft. Drum, NY in April 2006.
The rest is history, as they say.

Last edited:
All I can say that is some nice looking patina, and a matching suppressor is super neat. Whatever KAC says is of course straight from the horses mouth. All I know is that SOCOM purchased 80 SR-25s in 1995, and perhaps that rifle is one of them, but only KAC could validate that.

Reactions: mdarnell19
Thanks Random Guy. Knights won't tell you much. But they did confirm via email that this was one of their buy backs from the US Government in 2014. That's all the info I will have.

Maybe it's me, but in the 20+ years that I have been shooting I have yet to see an SR-25 that can shoot as good as an M-24 can't understand how it was accepted according to the contract requirements as published here, as a DM rifle or short range rifle, maybe, but I have never considered it a sniper rifle

I can only speak from my 10th Group/ Range 37 experience. Generally, in SF the SR25 was only issued to the CIF Sniper Troops. They were provided through a classified equipping program. From my observation they rarely left the arms room. While accurate, they were never considered accurate enough to shoot 3ft over the heads of an assault force stacked at breach point or more importantly for a low percentage H/R type shot.

Later on, the SR25 kits were available to regular SF ODAs through the JOS warehouse loan program. One could also encounter them as part of "house property" during the Kosovo missions.

Maybe it's me, but in the 20+ years that I have been shooting I have yet to see an SR-25 that can shoot as good as an M-24 can't understand how it was accepted according to the contract requirements as published here, as a DM rifle or short range rifle, maybe, but I have never considered it a sniper rifle
In regard to the M110 program, USASOC agreed on this point after input from the SOTIC/SFSC Instructors. When the M110 was adopted, it was meant to replace the M24 system as the Army's primary sniper system. The issue directive required all units to turn in their M24s. USASOC was granted a waiver so units could keep their M24s while also being issued the M110 systems. This would also lead to the PSR program search for a single platform, multi caliber bolt gun.

For USASOC the M110 was never really considered anything more than a support sniper system for what I would categorize as "Infantry" type sniping use. At best the M110 was a 1 MOA gun but usually a 1-1.5 MOA gun. There were also trigger issues and the issue with the SFP scope that was issued as part of the initial kit. The SFP scope is a byproduct of Crane being involved with the weapons program for SOCOM. Not sure why but SEALs seem to love the SFP scopes for some reason.

Not the gospel on the subject but from my perspective and I will say 2nd hand knowledge of the SR25/M110 program.

I can only speak from my 10th Group/ Range 37 experience. Generally, in SF the SR25 was only issued to the CIF Sniper Troops. They were provided through a classified equipping program. From my observation they rarely left the arms room. While accurate, they were never considered accurate enough to shoot 3ft over the heads of an assault force stacked at breach point or more importantly for a low percentage H/R type shot.

Later on, the SR25 kits were available to regular SF ODAs through the JOS warehouse loan program. One could also encounter them as part of "house property" during the Kosovo missions.

In regard to the M110 program, USASOC agreed on this point after input from the SOTIC/SFSC Instructors. When the M110 was adopted, it was meant to replace the M24 system as the Army's primary sniper system. The issue directive required all units to turn in their M24s. USASOC was granted a waiver so units could keep their M24s while also being issued the M110 systems. This would also lead to the PSR program search for a single platform, multi caliber bolt gun.

For USASOC the M110 was never really considered anything more than a support sniper system for what I would categorize as "Infantry" type sniping use. At best the M110 was a 1 MOA gun but usually a 1-1.5 MOA gun. There were also trigger issues and the issue with the SFP scope that was issued as part of the initial kit. The SFP scope is a byproduct of Crane being involved with the weapons program for SOCOM. Not sure why but SEALs seem to love the SFP scopes for some reason.

Not the gospel on the subject but from my perspective and I will say 2nd hand knowledge of the SR25/M110 program.

Your last three paragraphs are dead on what I saw while working straphanger w Battlelab at Benning.
Knew of two other units who had waivers to keep the m24's when they deployed to Afghanistan.
Was some ugliness with the triggers, broken bolt stops, and half of the rifles had up to 3' poi shift when the suppressors were added (100 meters)... Several would not shoot better than 30" at 300 meters, and several lots of ammo were tried. Even tried a couple lots of fed gmm. Nothing worked in those units.
Eventually they were sent back to Knights for RnR, and came back better, but, not sniper quality. One of the units drew m14's that shot better. Put them in sage stocks and deployed with them.
Still under nda or I'd say more. Saying this bc it was written up in Army Times twice.

riflegreen297, your perspective from the schoolhouse and 10th Group is close, but not the same as ours in the PACOM CIF. When we lost the M21 we had a big hole, particularly for our spotter. We kept a wide perspective on mission and TTP set.

I agree the Leupold M3LR was a transitional band-aid -- but neither USASOC Combat Developments nor Army compartment elements wanted to spend SOCOM MFP11 money on scope upgrades (Nightforce was still ten years before becoming solid military competition).

Rick Boucher and I commented on the XM110 draft requirements (he for USASOC/USAJFKSWCS and me for USAMU) and the Infantry Combat Developments guy (a Picatinny contractor) ignored them -- so Army got EXACTLY what they asked for, with the plan to direct-replace the M24 on a 1-for-1 basis.

A huge difference between SOCOM's Mark 11 and Army's M110 is the acceptance precision requirement. Mark 11s MUST be fired and shown to group under a minute with government-provided ammo, while Army's was written to be more "Generous" (sloppy).

riflegreen297, your perspective from the schoolhouse and 10th Group is close, but not the same as ours in the PACOM CIF. When we lost the M21 we had a big hole, particularly for our spotter. We kept a wide perspective on mission and TTP set.
Yeah, some S/O teams would run a scoped HK23 as a secondary. More accurate and once everything kicked off could flip over to an MG to help seal off the OBJ. Then a turn in directive took them away as they were getting hard to support with parts.

For the M110 program, to my understanding, in the end it came down to P10 vs P3 dollars. If mother Army was going to flip the bill with their money, then USASOC would take what came out of the program.

Last edited:
Lots of knowledge on this thread re this topic area. I'm curious about a couple of things:

A huge difference between SOCOM's Mark 11 and Army's M110 is the acceptance precision requirement. Mark 11s MUST be fired and shown to group under a minute with government-provided ammo, while Army's was written to be more "Generous" (sloppy).
This topic is really interesting to me. I always assumed the barrels on the Mk 11 Mod 0s and later M110 were the same, aside from the small flash hider on the M110...so I would assume that accuracy would be equivalent. However, I have heard anecdotes that the Mk 11 was more accurate. Could that little flash hider have made the difference? I don't know, and I wish I knew what Crane's accuracy testing criteria was for the Mk 11 Mod 0 twenty years ago. (I assume it was all M118LR, as it pre-dated the later AB39/Mk 316 Mod 0 ammo, which Crane developed in the late 200Xs as a better solution than M118LR). (One test that I read was an M110 was 1.1 MOA with suppressor, and 0.8 MOA without suppressor, but that appeared to be a test sample and not a formal technical requirement).

..and I found this interesting.
There were also trigger issues and the issue with the SFP scope that was issued as part of the initial kit. The SFP scope is a byproduct of Crane being involved with the weapons program for SOCOM. Not sure why but SEALs seem to love the SFP scopes for some reason.
I understand the the Mk 11 Mod scopes (Leupold 3.5-10x) and later M110 scopes (FDE colored Leupold 3.5-10x) were both second focal plane (SFP) scopes. However, I will note that some Crane-based Mk 11s used by Army Rangers (& perhaps others) used scopes that had been modified by Premier Reticle w/ Front Focal Plane (FFP) and what was called a "Gen II" Mil-Dot reticle. A guy had 7 of more of these for sale last year from a gov't auction, and I bought the salty one with old ARMS rings and a lot of patina. The serial number prefix is 2003-dated (they were mostly 2004 dated scopes). So this era was way before Leupold offered FFP scopes. I was curious about this scope and asked someone at Crane about this odd auctioned-off scope, and learned it was part of the 'INOD Block 1' contract circa 2004, that I think went to Ft. Carson. (I heard these ARMs rings tended to slip)

Leupold_3.5-10x_PR_FFP_top_rt.jpg

Re the reticle, Crane noted this: "Haugen wanted the FFP Leupold as well with the GEN2 mildot. That caused some issues with Premier reticle in the future as Leupold did a slightly different version (TMR?), but too close to the copyright or patent pending from the Thomas’s at Premier. Shortly after the award, he had the entire setup he wanted and we modified it into the contract."

So it sounded like Crane modified the optics contract to allow the FFP conversions for some scopes that were used on Mk 11 Mod 0s. I subsequently asked Haugen (former 1st SFG SOTIC instructor before joining Remington) about this topic. He recalled: "I pushed to have FFP on the optics because as I am sure you know on a 2nd FP optic the mils are only relative at a specific spot and I knew that guys in combat would not remember that that they had to be on a specific power when milling even though most would have LRFs going in. Additionally with NVGs the FFP was more of an issue mainly because in 2nd FP the reticle remains the same size and under NODs it can be a bit distracting."

...So he made it sound like perhaps night vision devices do better with 2nd focal plane scopes? If that is so, and assuming I understand what he wrote, perhaps that might explain why may have SEALs preferred SFP back then? I have no personal experience re this night vision topic and SSP vs FFP reticle, just a random theory about why SEALs might have liked the SFP scopes back in the day.

Lastly, a local buddy who was an Army Ranger and had a Mk 11 issued to him and I learned that his rifle also had the same Leupold FFP Premier Reticle scope. This PRS stock was something given to him for T&E purposes. (I think he still has it somewhere). He liked the Leupold FFP scope and the rifle, but said he was later issued an M110 and didn't think it was as good as his Mk 11, and he didn't like the original NF 3.5-15x scopes either, mainly because they were SFP scopes, and he preferred FFP. I always found that curious that he preferred the Mk 11 over the M110.

Mk_11_Mod_0_circa_2009 - Copy.jpg

Anyhow, I think for nostalgia purposes he bought the last of these old DRMO'ed 3.5-10X Leupolds w/ Premier Reticle FFPs.
Just an random bit of info I learned last year re some Mk11 Mod 0s and some odd-ball "take-off" MK 11, Leupold FFP scopes.

Last edited:
Around 1998-2000, Premier was the only one doing ANY kind of mil reticle work. State-of-the-art from 1993-ish was the Kigre SIMRAD and Universal Night Sight clip-on, so FFP made sense for night shooting as well.

The SEALs, SF, and Regular Army have some different training philosophy. SEALs tend to shoot more on KD (known distance) ranges. Many will also shoot in the Fleet and Navy matches -- older guys shot with M16A2s with quarter-minute sights until 2015 when scopes with quarter-minute clicks were allowed at Camp Perry.

Leg Army privates tend to have no firearms or rifle experience besides what the Army teaches them in basic training/OSUT, against E-type silhouettes. Most Leg sniper school training is unknown distance field fire, so Christmas-tree reticles and .1-mil clicks tend to be faster to teach (both for shooter and spotter if he has a mil reticle spotting scope).

Younger SF snipers are also moving to the Army-issued Leupold M5HD standard on the M2010, and the HORUS-type reticle due to Todd Hodnett influence starting around 2010-ish.

I don't know what scope they ship on the new Barrett 300.

Last edited:
IIRC the accuracy requirement for the M110 was 1 MOA. But they way Knights measured that was anything 1 moa from the center point of the POA, so in affect 1.5 or 2 moa. I remember us blaming Knights for some perceived trickery but later learned it was an infrantry center spec
I'd have to go back through the specs, but I believe SOCOM required 1 MOA from the Mark 11, while Army required a mean radius from the M110. Really apples and oranges, but Knights delivered exactly what each customer specified.

Once they had mods and improvements for M110 the Army wasn't interested -- the spec was set.

I don't know what scope they ship on the new Barrett 300.
"The U.S. Army Mark 5HD 5-25x56 will come in a proprietary flat dark earth coating and utilize the Army’s patented Mil-Grid Reticle. The Mark 5HD will be mounted on the US SOCOM selected MK22 Mod 0 based on the Barrett MRAD bolt-action multi-caliber system chambered in 7.62×51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum."
Leupold_Mk5_PSR_scope_2020.jpg

Apparently has a special reticle that the Army developed and patented (this is probably reticle at 25x):
Army-Leupold_scope_Mil-Grid-Reticle_2020.jpg

"The U.S. Army Mark 5HD 5-25x56 will come in a proprietary flat dark earth coating and utilize the Army’s patented Mil-Grid Reticle. The Mark 5HD will be mounted on the US SOCOM selected MK22 Mod 0 based on the Barrett MRAD bolt-action multi-caliber system chambered in 7.62×51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum."
View attachment 7793373
Apparently has a special reticle that the Army developed and patented (this is probably reticle at 25x):
View attachment 7793374
I guess whoever designed that reticle has never heard of Holdunders.

Spotting impact - 99.9% of the time
Holding under - .01% of the time
Yea i get that it makes it easier to see trace but having a 3 or 4 mil vertical stadia would solve the issue without compromising the optic.

But lets be real, with the massive grids and hold overs if you can see your impacts through that a few extra mils of vertical will not make a difference.

Well if you dial and get your distance wrong, you can hold a faster follow up shot. Yea you won't have wind holds but can copy/paste it it get it close enough.

I am not now or was ever a sniper so feel free to disregard everything I say.

Reactions: sinister