• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy Crap!!! Migraines

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
I have had my very first migraine (I am almost 50). How the hell do people live with these things for years?? This one has lasted 24 hours I am ready to crwck my head open to relieve it. GOD willing I will never have another

Reactions: diverdon
My mother used to get them all the time. She would take it out on me.

Try to figure what caused it. Too much screen, eyestrain?

I get them as well. I’ve changed diet, started breathing exercises, and added some supplements that have all helped. Still a monthly thing, but not weekly anymore. They can be debilitating.

I think it was my workout. I was doing some heavy lifts when it hit. I thought I was having an aneursym

Shrugs always gave me a headache the next day that nothing would take care of. It wasn't migraine level, but it was damn annoying.

Part of (a small part) my VA rating is from migraines. Fortunately my VA dic (doc) out here said that it's okay for me to take up to 3K mg of acetaminophen and 3,200mg of ibuprofen daily...which I do 2-3x/week.

I fully understand the long-term damage to my kidneys and liver that I'm doing, but the pain otherwise isn't tolerable. You can't function.

Hope you never have another one man, they suck.

I think it was my workout. I was doing some heavy lifts when it hit. I thought I was having an aneursym
I have them from time to time although less frequent in the last year.

If it’s a bad one I have to get in a completely dark room no light of any kind but thankfully I don’t have bad ones like that often.

Drinking caffeine helps when I feel them coming on.

Left a business dinner one night, got in my truck and it hit me. Fuck, not sure how I made it home. Wife gave me 2 Norcos when I got home, an hour later was in the ER.

Most days it wasn't as bad, but finally went away 14 months later.

I've heard about shots for them.

My 5 year old gets them sometimes.. maybe not a clinical migraine, but something bad. I don't F around when she wakes up screaming. She gets a kid-size max dose of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen, and rocked until she falls back asleep.

Fortunately in my Marine Corps days, the Corpsman would just give you two 800mg Ibuprofen at once...usually worked.

Reactions: kindabitey
Pills

Nasal sprays

Injections

Talk to your doctor. Many options are generic, therefore cheap.

P
Let me be clear, Im not suggesting the careless use of anything, but they wont give you the stuff that really works.

God damn nanny state.

last really bad one I had, I drove to urgent care with one eye closed, pulled over twice to throw up ( correction dry heave ) got the shot, that did not help. Short version, first sign of one I am eating Excedrin Migraine like candy, and cold gel packs on forehead, no lights no sound ( eat something lite since dry heaving sucks )

• Sad
Reactions: mi650
Try spinal headaches on for size. Theyll make you long for a good ole migraine.
I've been barely able to turn my neck past 4 days. Couldn't even think straight Sunday...or Saturday...this weekend was a hazy blur. Not really sure what day it was now.
Tramadol works ok, but it takes quite a bit of it.

I had west nile virus 20 years ago. Them was bad headaches too.

Don't think I ever had a migraine, but far and away the worst headache I ever had, was a post-concussive disorder headache last year. God damn that shit was awful, Norco didn't help a lick, I might have refused the hydromorphone but it's hard to recall. Lasted for 3 days. I couldn't eat, or stand lights, or talk, every little sound felt like my brain splitting in half.

I am almost 50

If you live long enough you win all the prizes ... aches, cataracts, yada yada, blah blah ...

I used to get some really horrid aches just on one side of my head. Sleep was about the only treatment. Didn't make the pain go away any faster but it's amazing what your body can ignore when sleeping.

Anyway ... dairy. I developed some other "symptoms" and started weeding out different food until, finally, eliminating dairy reduced the other issues. Ever since then I've only had one or two more headaches nearly as bad and both times I ate dairy before them.

Could be coincidence, I'm not a doctor but I also do not sun my starfish on the patio. YMMV

Start taking a magnesium supplement, that made a huge difference for me. There was a time I was getting them 5-7 days a week. Went to a neurologist about it.

Magnesium knocked that WAY down. They'll try to give you immitrex, its shit, sumatriptan is the generic.

Ask for relpax, elitriptan, works better, less shitty after effects

If it's top of the spine, base of the skull, that can be something else entirely called occipital neuralgia.

There's a list of migraine triggers as long as Hunters list of crimes, so learn what sets yours off.

For me, Beer, Every. Damn. Time. Dunno if it's the hops, the barley, or what but I've basically switched to hard alcohol and mixed drinks if it's a party or a nice dinner because I can't do beer, ever.

The list is long and wide, like my dick 🤣... heat, cold, foods, alcohol, dehydration, stress, weather, you name it 🤷🏼‍♂️

And what sets yours off will be different than mine. Here's a key if they're new, ANY headache can evolve into a migraine even if it starts as something else like a tension headache or a sinus headache.

Jump on them early. I don't suffer headaches because it's like a boulder at the top of a hill. If you grab it early you can stop it with OTC stuff like Tylenol or Excedrin. If it starts rolling down the hill, you're fucked.

I've had them last for a week, I'd dull them a bit with meds but the meds would wear off and it would come roaring back and it was never gone, just in the background. Went to the ER a couple times figuring I must be fuckin dying or something.

Had an ER doc give me IV painkillers to break it and then basically kicked me in the ass for letting it get that far in the first place. He was right 👍

The flashers. Then the wall of flashers from the left to the right that takes the vision out of one eye. The pain I have had in the past makes me want to throw up my toenails. The worst is when it happens early at night, last the whole night and I have to be on point the next day. It’s no joke and I have found that there are a number of people that suffer through it in silence throughout their lives.

Reactions: Foul Mike
For you sufferers of migraines, Indica THC is your answer. I have a family member that suffers from debilitating migraines and has tried too many drugs/remedies to count, THC is the best. You can use tincture, smoke it, or ingest it , any can work. So when you feel one coming on, roll a doob, drop a drop, or munch a gummy. Make sure it’s Indica, not Sativa.

I've been through quite a few different meds along with botox injections. Some helped for a while, but the side effects of some really suck. I finally quit taking them all together.
the side effects of some, (most?), of these wonder drugs are very, very real. Example, Tramadol. That shit gives me hallucinations. They put me on that stuff in the hospital a couple years ago and they may as well put me on LSD. the way I was trippin'!

Last edited:
Demerol.

Any of the triptans can be effective.

Wine can also be a potent trigger. Chocolate as well.

P
Demerol is really strong, I was thinking Dilaudid. About 4 mg. and a glass of red wine and hello tomorrow morning. Wake up with a shit eating grin on your face and forget about it until the nest headache. Unfortunately, most people dont have the self control to NOT use it when its not needed, thus it gets abused.

But yeah.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I have them from time to time although less frequent in the last year.

If it’s a bad one I have to get in a completely dark room no light of any kind but thankfully I don’t have bad ones like that often.

My usual cocktail is aspirin, acetominphin (sp?), and sudafed. I'm not sure why, but the sudafed makes a difference

M

One of my exes gave such good head she caved in the top of my skull; eventually I got better.

I couldn't stand her as a person but the sex was amazing.

Life can be so random.

Same here. A cup of strong coffee usually makes it go away within 10 minutes. I get migraine aura occasionally, which mostly affects my vision. I might feel a little nausea and/or a mild headache, but nothing too bad. It starts out as a blind spot somewhere in my field of vision, then it gets larger and larger until I can't see well enough to drive or read or watch TV. Just have to sit or lay down until it passes. I thank my lucky stars that my migraines are so benign. Worst that can happen is one will start to come on when I'm driving, so I pull over somewhere and wait for it to pass. If I have my coffee thermos with me, I'll drink a cup and be on my way in a few minutes.

I get 'em occasionally, but the headache part of it isn't that terrible for me. Starts off with pulsing rainbow edged objects in the center of my vision, makes it impossible for me to read, or really see things in the center, focal point of my vision (sure thing for a good time when i'm driving and one kicks off). That goes away after about 30 min, and what follows is a couple hours of what I call a severe case of stupid. The first time it happened I freaked out, called my best friend and I couldn't get words out. You can be talking to me, and I have no idea what you're saying. I hear you, but i'm just not processing what you're saying in a way I understand you. My wife took videos of me when I was in that state to show the doctors. One thought I could have had a mini stroke, another said Migraines present many different symptoms. The worst ones were before I had my blood pressure under control. I then thought it was related to artificial sweeteners, but I just had the first one in a while a couple weeks ago despite no articial sweeteners for nearly a year. Fortunately it wasn't too bad, it was a social deal I needed to be at, my wife being the badass wife she is, carried me through it to make sure I didn't make an ass of myself, but I also didn't dip into what I call full retard mode, it was fairly mild. I do have a dull headache that lingers for a couple days, only notice it if I cough or sneeze.

Part of me is glad that I don't get the severe head splitters. My wife gets them, but they have to be hormone related because they're monthly. Her mom got 'em real bad too, right up until she went through menopause, and then she didn't get anymore migraines.

They suck, period, hope you find a good pain management method, and especially determine the trigger so you can avoid 'em in the future.

Branden

Same here. A cup of strong coffee usually makes it go away within 10 minutes. I get migraine aura occasionally, which mostly affects my vision. I might feel a little nausea and/or a mild headache, but nothing too bad. It starts out as a blind spot somewhere in my field of vision, then it gets larger and larger until I can't see well enough to drive or read or watch TV. Just have to sit or lay down until it passes. I thank my lucky stars that my migraines are so benign. Worst that can happen is one will start to come on when I'm driving, so I pull over somewhere and wait for it to pass. If I have my coffee thermos with me, I'll drink a cup and be on my way in a few minutes.
Careful, dont let the powers that be find out coffee works or they'll make it a prescription drug. Gotta protect big pharma and their money...and the payoff's.

the side effects of some, (most?), of these wonder drugs are very, very real. Example, Tramadol. That shit gives me hallucinations. They put me on that stuff in the hospital a couple years ago and they may as well put me on LSD. the way I was trippin'!
That's wild that Tramadol gives you hallucinations. Back before I had my gall bladder out and I was in the hospital frequently for gut issues from bowel obstructions, to gall bladder problems, I found that Tramadol was the drug I would request because it knocked out the pain as effectively as Fentanyl. There was another drug they'd give me at the same time that would make it last a lot longer, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it anymore. Since getting my gall bladder out, I haven't had anymore medical problems related to gut problems.

Branden

Reactions: Milf Dots
That's wild that Tramadol gives you hallucinations. Back before I had my gall bladder out and I was in the hospital frequently for gut issues from bowel obstructions, to gall bladder problems, I found that Tramadol was the drug I would request because it knocked out the pain as effectively as Fentanyl. There was another drug they'd give me at the same time that would make it last a lot longer, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it anymore. Since getting my gall bladder out, I haven't had anymore medical problems related to gut problems.

Branden
Check the list of side effects. Way up on the list are hallucinations and I had them big time. The nursing staff thought I was losing my mind as I was describing a non-existent person I saw, or so I thought, at the foot of my bed and a college dorm down the hall from my room.

Careful, dont let the powers that be find out coffee works or they'll make it a prescription drug. Gotta protect big pharma and their money...and the payoff's.

Damn straight, that new boat motor ain’t gonna buy itself.

P

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
They beat you to the punch.

One of the medications I was given when I had post-concussive disorder headaches was Fioricet, a combination of acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. It's the one thing that helped. It's used for migraines.

Didn't get the hallucinations from Tramadol but did after 20mg Norco + a big shot of Dilaudid. Don't recall what the dose was but I remember the nurse said they doubled my normal dose. I thought it was 500-something but milligrams sounds way too high and I don't think it's dosed in micrograms. I was seeing stuff that wasn't there, shadows were morphing into other things, shit was crazy.

They beat you to the punch.

One of the medications I was given when I had post-concussive disorder headaches was Fioricet, a combination of acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. It's the one thing that helped. It's used for migraines.

Didn't get the hallucinations from Tramadol but did after 20mg Norco + a big shot of Dilaudid. Don't recall what the dose was but I remember the nurse said they doubled my normal dose. I thought it was 500-something but milligrams sounds way too high and I don't think it's dosed in micrograms. I was seeing stuff that wasn't there, shadows were morphing into other things, shit was crazy.
That wasnt the dilaudid, that just makes you sleepy and not hurt. Might have been the combination.

Stress can definitely cause them, there's a myriad of things that cause them.

Could be something simple such as staring at your phone for too long, caffeine withdrawal etc.

In addition to the total dark and quiet, what worked for me is a bath filled with water, then slide in so just my nose was above water. The cool or hot water (it depended on the type) and I guess the little pressure from the water would really help. I have actually fallen asleep in there to wake up with a snoot full.

Had a visit to my primary care doc today. He thinks it was something viral not a regular migraine. I had other flu like symptoms as well

It finally went away with a mix of benedryl and tylenol. It lasted a total of 50 f!@#$$ hours.
Forgot to mention that another product that helps well with migraines/bad headaches is Mucinex D which is normally behind the counter but not a prescription.

I’m saying migraine and it could be a very bad sinus headache but Mucinex D has something in it that opens me up but also kills bad headaches it works when nothing else OTC will.