• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home invasion, MMA fighter fights back

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
A little justice was served, apparently on some local bullies:
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Authorities say a resident who is a trained mixed martial artist killed a man suspected of taking part in a New Mexico home invasion.

Dona Ana County sheriff's officials say 25-year-old Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home north of Las Cruces on Wednesday.

Deputies say Torrez, his fiancee and a toddler were at home at the time of the invasion. Authorities say the fiancee tried to use her body against the front door to keep the men from entering.

Deputies say Torrez was able to fight off the four men — two of whom have been arrested and another hospitalized with unknown injuries.

Officials say Torrez may face charges in the death, but what charges aren't known.
Deputies: Trained MMA fighter killed home invader - SFGate
--------------------------------------
Home invasion leaves one dead | News - Home
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico -

The Doña Ana County Sheriff's office said one of four men who invaded a home was killed when the resident fought back.

A spokeswoman told KVIA that Sal Garces, 25, his brother, Raymond Garces, 19, and two other men, Nathan Avalos, 19, and Leonard Calvillo, 22, forced their way into a home in the 600 block of King James Road. The group reportedly had an unresolved issue with the man living at that address, which stemmed from an altercation in Las Cruces on New Year's Eve.

The man living at the house reportedly fought back when the four men entered his home. Someone inside the house called 911.

Deputies said they found Sal Garces in the road with multiple stab wounds to his torso and blunt force trauma to his head. He died at the scene.

Avalos was transported to an El Paso-area hospital with severe facial injuries. He is reportedly undergoing surgery today.
With the assistance of Las Cruces Police, Calvillo and Raymond Garces were located a short time later and were arrested.

Calvillo is charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, conspiracy to commit aggravated battery, aggravated burglary, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and criminal damage to property.

According to investigators, Calvillo was on probation at the time. As a result, his probation has been revoked and he is being held without bond at the Doña Ana County Detention Center.

Raymond Garces, who was on an ankle monitor at the time of his arrest, is charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated battery, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and criminal damage to property. He is being held at the Doña Ana County Detention Center on a $10,000 secured bond.

Avalos has not been charged, but the case is still under investigation and additional charges are pending.

If he had just had a pistol there would be 4 less problems in this world.

A little justice was served, apparently on some local bullies:
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Authorities say a resident who is a trained mixed martial artist killed a man suspected of taking part in a New Mexico home invasion.

Dona Ana County sheriff's officials say 25-year-old Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home north of Las Cruces on Wednesday.

Deputies say Torrez, his fiancee and a toddler were at home at the time of the invasion. Authorities say the fiancee tried to use her body against the front door to keep the men from entering.

Deputies say Torrez was able to fight off the four men — two of whom have been arrested and another hospitalized with unknown injuries.

Officials say Torrez may face charges in the death, but what charges aren't known.
Deputies: Trained MMA fighter killed home invader - SFGate
--------------------------------------
Home invasion leaves one dead | News - Home
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico -

The Doña Ana County Sheriff's office said one of four men who invaded a home was killed when the resident fought back.

A spokeswoman told KVIA that Sal Garces, 25, his brother, Raymond Garces, 19, and two other men, Nathan Avalos, 19, and Leonard Calvillo, 22, forced their way into a home in the 600 block of King James Road. The group reportedly had an unresolved issue with the man living at that address, which stemmed from an altercation in Las Cruces on New Year's Eve.

The man living at the house reportedly fought back when the four men entered his home. Someone inside the house called 911.

Deputies said they found Sal Garces in the road with multiple stab wounds to his torso and blunt force trauma to his head. He died at the scene.

Avalos was transported to an El Paso-area hospital with severe facial injuries. He is reportedly undergoing surgery today.
With the assistance of Las Cruces Police, Calvillo and Raymond Garces were located a short time later and were arrested.

Calvillo is charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, conspiracy to commit aggravated battery, aggravated burglary, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and criminal damage to property.

According to investigators, Calvillo was on probation at the time. As a result, his probation has been revoked and he is being held without bond at the Doña Ana County Detention Center.

Raymond Garces, who was on an ankle monitor at the time of his arrest, is charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated battery, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and criminal damage to property. He is being held at the Doña Ana County Detention Center on a $10,000 secured bond.

Avalos has not been charged, but the case is still under investigation and additional charges are pending.

WTF is this crap - guy is in his home with his fiancee and child...certainly in fear of his & his families life. If it was me, my wife & kids - all of those fucking dirtbags would be taking a dirt nap right now w/multiple ventilation holes.
:mad:

What are the sentencing guidelines for self defense? If he has defended himself twice in the past, will this be considered his third strike and result in a life sentence?

They would have met one of mine or my fiancé's personnel suppression devices as they crossed the threshold. No testimony required. But good for this guy, I hope he comes out of this a labeled a good man that rightfully protected his family an not a dirtbag, as is sometimes the case with media.

If Joseph Torrez faces ANY charges, please keep the 'Hide posted. We could send money to a legal fund like we did with a guy here in Colorado some years back.

Sending money to a guy who simply defended that which is his and his family's, well, that folks is money well spent.

In a proper universe, Joseph Torrez wouldn't need a legal defense fund.

I just wish he'd stacked up 4 kills...

Last edited:
It will be most interesting to follow this case. I agree, three more of them should of been killed. The word would get around, don't do home invasion.

Try to learn about this as it goes on, and post the details here.

There would have been 4 dead as the GSD that sleeps in the house does not take kindly to people trying to come in and me and my wife don't either.

He should be charged with possession of illegal amounts of awesomeness.

Fuck the 'authorities'. They use the supreme court to define their role as not being protection but enforcement and yet they won't allow you to protect yourself.

I just wish he'd stacked up 4 kills...

I agree with what you are saying in general but as a Martial Artist, NORMALLY you are trained to put them down until they stop fighting.
Be that an elbow to the temple, or turning his knife against him - he did the right thing and he can sleep well at night.

If these dirtbags ever get out of prison he may be in trouble with them, that's the downside. They have a lot of time on their hands.

The problem is that they are even considering charges. That is the problem with America today.

We'll probably never hear ab out it unless someone from Cruces posts this - going to send it to my dad.

NM sure has a high crime rate for being a desert...