• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home made Covert Case

dddoo7

Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
Memphis, TN
I had this idea a few weeks ago and have been working on it since. I used to work construction, and didn't use my kit boxes, so I have a bunch of them just laying around not being used in almost new condition. I gutted them and added some custom cut closed cell foam to accomplish what you see below.

The first is my seekins SBR. 7.5" noveske barrel in 5.56 with thunderbeast 223A suppressor attached. 110 rounds in the case.

Second is a hk usp tactical .45 with osprey suppressor. I little over 80 rounds in the case.

174AE459-37F3-41CD-8FB4-61C995F38D84-3180-0000029F81A8907A_zpseb714525.jpg

D932B8BA-CD2B-49BD-B54C-BB73D83DF5DC-3180-0000029F8B196FFA_zpscc12c6ee.jpg

91347469-3C10-4AB2-B0EE-E334D86E451B-3180-0000029F91AAC5A4_zpsc49132a6.jpg

AFA98D9C-DE0D-4A5C-9700-3219013AF5A9-3180-0000029F96509031_zps8842297c.jpg

--Daniel

I bought the foam here:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com

It is 2.2 lb closed cell polyethylene. After working with this stuff I would not go back to using the softer foam. This foam is head and shoulders above the other in workability and quality.

I cut it with a homemade device. I bought the special wire made to cut foam off of amazon ($6 for 3 feet). I am using a 12v 1a transformer...like you would find on any number of household electronics. Being able to cut your own foam will give you so much more freedom when it comes to cases. I glue the two bottom pieces of foam together with contact cement. I also glue the top piece into the case.

The hot wire foam cutter:
5034C36E-8F80-4725-9951-84935FE8AE6B-9391-00000495A72BAF5D.jpg

The wire I use:

Woodland Scenics Hot Wire Replacement Wire 4' WOOST1436
http://amzn.com/B0006NARKY

This makes about 4 "blades" for my saw and they will last for about two rifle sized gun cases each or several pistol cases.

--Daniel

I've been trying to score one of these with all the original markings intact:

DSCF30011.jpg

A lot larger but I can carry three rifles it. My .308 Custom and a .223 SPS-Tactical

Every time I find one it's either defaced so badly or they want the price of a new rifle for it.

Would definitely be a "conversation piece" when brought to the range.

Around here, people love stealing dewalt tools

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Nothing says covert like a missile case! That's freeking awesome! I had the same thought about the tool cases asking to be stolen too but I think the intent of the OP is to have a case you can walk outside with and not draw attention. Not leave it in the back of the truck and spend an hour in Home Depot. I like the idea of being able to load up for the range and not look like I'm loading up for the range. Especially if the kids right next door are outside. Gotta find me a missile case!

I understand that dewalt tools are thief magnets, but no more so than gun cases and it can carry these around without anyone raising an eyebrow.

--Daniel

Maybe make the tool case....uglier.....like: dirt, old paint, beat it up a little, add a custom paint stencil. For instance, every tool I buy has a huge GMS on it

Maybe make the tool case....uglier.....like: dirt, old paint, beat it up a little, add a custom paint stencil. For instance, every tool I buy has a huge GMS on it

Good idea!

--Daniel

I have used a cigar humidor, also have a case from an ACOG that works quite well. That's what I usually lock my piece in for flying.

I burned 5 dewalt cases last year they were like new!! I may still have several floating around I'll have to look around

I have so many tools its stupid I buy the tools take them out of the cases and put them in there proper place on the work truck or trailer and throw the cases away. If I come up with any more may be I'll offer them up on here.

I burned 5 dewalt cases last year they were like new!! I may still have several floating around I'll have to look around

I have so many tools its stupid I buy the tools take them out of the cases and put them in there proper place on the work truck or trailer and throw the cases away. If I come up with any more may be I'll offer them up on here.

That is exactly where I got mine. I have a closet full of these cases. The cases are nice, but take up way too much space in the work truck.

--Daniel

yeah have probably thrown away or burned at least 30 cases in the last 3 to 4 years

only down fall would be tools are an easy target for the crack head's so it may make it that much more of a target

what dewalt case is the seekins in? that looks like it would fit mine perfect. I tried this on a Milwaukee case it ended up being about 1/2" to short

what dewalt case is the seekins in? that looks like it would fit mine perfect. I tried this on a Milwaukee case it ended up being about 1/2" to short

It is a "DC2PACKA". It was made for a sawzall and drill. The foam is 22.5x13.5 (plus a little at the handle). Top and bottom foam is 1" and the middle foam is 1.5". 3.5" is the perfect total thickness for these cases.

--Daniel

I thought through this a bit ago as well, and came to the same conclusion about thieves. The other alternative is music equipment - but they like those as well. I have been working on the idea of kids toys. Some type of kids stuff will be pretty unlikely to draw much attention.

For example, those portable playpens come in a bag, and the playpen is pretty rigid. Something along those lines would pretty unlikely to draw attention.

But for being easy, I think the tool boxes are great. I have a couple of steel guidance system boxes that are about 5' long and 1'x1' w/h. They work great for taking a bunch of rifles to the range - and being able to lock them up with a combo like in case your stopped for some reason.

If you get any extra tool boxes, I would sure like to have a few !

I have considered kids toys as well. The problem I have is that most toy cases are not very well built. I really don't want to cut foam for a case that is going to fall apart. They would be ideal though because most thieves would ignore them.

--Daniel

I was sort of thinking of taking apart the toy boxes and using the exterior of the toy boxes over the outside of the tool boxes for example. Just like a veneer - so it looks like a toy box from far away, but is much more sturdy in construction.

I have found that a stained moving blanket draped across my Pelican 1750 works like a charm to protect from prying eyes. But, I only transport my rifle to the range & back possibly only stopping to get a bite to eat (& positioned with eyes on the car) or getting gasoline.

Is the intent for concealed carry, but not on the person? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

But, I live in Utah, there are potential ranges ALL OVER THE PLACE with access to public land! AND Concealed Carry permits available!

---

I got one of those Stinger cases, scrubbed of markings. In my opinion, its TOO BIG. It can EASILY be overloaded and really is a two person carry.

I did tie a strap to both ends and this makes it easier to manipulate. But, I think one, two or even three Pelican 1750's would be easier to carry around.

I traded with a local fella and got a Pelican 1770 - it is pretty much a smaller Stinger case with all the drawbacks of that...

Maybe a DIY thread with a side carry handle for both cases is in my future....

~Will

Well, I drive through Denver. For me the important things are:

1. It doesn't arouse suspicion when viewed from outside the car
2. It is lockable with a combo lock
3. It doesn't look like something someone would break the window to steal

The box doesn't have to deter a determined criminal from opening - as that would be very likely like chasing your tail.
The box should have a combo lock to prevent a traffic stop from turning into a rifle seizure stop in Denver. If I am stopped and asked what is in the case - I can reply legally owned personal property. If there are not other shooting items lying around then a warrant is needed to break into the box.

Just my thoughts on avoiding a legal fight to get back weapons that are mine from a city that has a history of stealing private citizens weapons...

I put a rainbow flag on my cases and a sticker saying "Worlds fastest 4 foot dildo" and a sticker saying to glove up and wear eye pro. It should discourage the curious.

I understand that dewalt tools are thief magnets, but no more so than gun cases and it can carry these around without anyone raising an eyebrow.

--Daniel

That way my first thought. Maybe you need a harbor freight box.

1. It doesn't arouse suspicion when viewed from outside the car
2. It is lockable with a combo lock
3. It doesn't look like something someone would break the window to steal

The box doesn't have to deter a determined criminal from opening - as that would be very likely like chasing your tail.
The box should have a combo lock to prevent a traffic stop from turning into a rifle seizure stop in Denver. If I am stopped and asked what is in the case - I can reply legally owned personal property. If there are not other shooting items lying around then a warrant is needed to break into the box.

Just my thoughts on avoiding a legal fight to get back weapons that are mine from a city that has a history of stealing private citizens weapons...

Brother - that sucks. I feel for you living in fear of a weapon seizure - confiscation!

OK, that totally makes sense then. I forget that the Constitution is suspended in other areas, even States right next door (I am in Utah).

Personally, I would also consider securing the weapon case from becoming a projectile during a car crash. I have been in a few, and its pretty bad the stuff that starts whizzing around that isn't secured.

Having it secured to the vehicle should make it theft deterrent as well, as a simple smash & grab or opening an inadvertently unlocked door and grabbing whats available.

Best of luck!

~Will

Good to know, as I sometimes drive through Denver to ranges with my rifles.

Paint it red and put a universal precautions label on it with the words bloodborne pathogens, it will be the last thing to go missing...

Menards - "Tool Shop" and "Master craft" are the easiest - just ask the highschool kid in the "Ask me any question- I won't care" shirts if they have any scratched or empty cases laying in the backroom.

Good job making them, it is an interesting idea and they do end up being pretty discrete.

In my experience as a police officer, tool boxes with Dewalt logos tend to grow their own legs and go missing first. It is much easier to steal power tools and unload them vs guns. Don't get me wrong, thieves like guns, but contractor tools are big with thieves. I always caution people from leaving tool boxes with logos like that in the open or putting gun logos on their vehicles, etc. It simply draws a bit of unwanted attention.

However, if you are just going to the range and won't be leaving your guns unattended but simply don't want all of your neighbors to know what's up while loading your vehicle, they are awesome. They do look good, not trying to knock you, I've just become a bit paranoid and over-cautious when it comes to stuff like this.

Good job making them, it is an interesting idea and they do end up being pretty discrete.

In my experience as a police officer, tool boxes with Dewalt logos tend to grow their own legs and go missing first. It is much easier to steal power tools and unload them vs guns. Don't get me wrong, thieves like guns, but contractor tools are big with thieves. I always caution people from leaving tool boxes with logos like that in the open or putting gun logos on their vehicles, etc. It simply draws a bit of unwanted attention.

However, if you are just going to the range and won't be leaving your guns unattended but simply don't want all of your neighbors to know what's up while loading your vehicle, they are awesome. They do look good, not trying to knock you, I've just become a bit paranoid and over-cautious when it comes to stuff like this.

I understand and I have had a few dewalt tools walk off of job sites. When I take my guns out of the safe I am very protective of them. If they sit in the truck, they are locked in another heavy box which is built into the back of the truck and disguised as a stack of plywood. I have a cover on my bed as well, but the box cannot be accessed or even recognized as a box without the tailgate being down. I wouldn't leave a dewalt box in a vehicle in plain view whether it had tools or guns in it either one.

--Daniel

Sounds like you've thought that out very well, in that case I think those boxes accomplish your goal of being discrete very well.

Nice idea. Maybe hit the local pawn shops and resale stores for suitable covert cases.

Reminds me of an old SNL fake-commercial skit that featured a theft-resistant luxury car that looked like a piece of shit; it was called the "Chameleon."

Hmmm....might have to try this. We throw away the cases when the tool dies. By the time the tool dies, the case is so beat even junkies wouldn't touch it.

Niles Coyote has it...we were having problems with zombies breaking into storage rooms where I worked...had Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen stored there. Placed a radiation hazard sticker and hazard warnings on the door and no more problem.

Just buy a black Pelican case and slap a few "YAMAHA" or "CASIO" stickers on it, along with a white stencil name or two. Add some scuffs and some band swag and you are good to go, with the knowledge that the thing is locked up securely in a Pelican. Or, if you like the tool concept, do the same thing, only put "DEWALT" stickers and dirt on ti, instead. I thing tools are more of a theft magnet than instruments, though. I could be wrong...

Outstanding idea. Using the tool case is a great idea, but if it were sitting inside my truck and someone peered trough the windows it may have almost as much "take me" on it as a standard gun case. It does, however, work well for carrying gear to and fro and not cluing others into what you're toting.

Myself, I'd be tempted to go another direction with a discrete case. I've seen folks use tennis racket bags which, to me, would seem less tempting for most folks. Obviously, it wouldn't offer as much protection as your set-up though. Still trying to decide for myself, but again, great job.

Also, your foam cutting tool is ingenious.

I found a used Guitar case for $20 and turned it into a case to hold a 20" barreled AR-15, a 1911 pistol, and magazines for both. It ended up as a christmas present for a buddy. I got all sorts of hippy/musician type stickers to put on the outside of the case, so it looked like something few people would be interested in...just an old beat up guitar case on the outside.