• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

homemade blast cabinet from a pickle barrell

Looks good..........how did you seal the gloves?

Last edited:
Kytrapper- theres a metal ring with a clamp and that ring is welded to a outer trim ring -its hard to see in the picture cause its painted black.

Bad ass! The window frame looks great.

Can you post a picture of the back? What is with the spiral copper tube?

Bad ass! The window frame looks great.

Can you post a picture of the back? What is with the spiral copper tube?

Thanks, that thing on the back Is a homemade air dryer. Takes all the moisture out so you will have nice dry air to blast or paint with.

http:// [URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/brentpavey1776/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140202_131125_zps751a0970.jpg.html][/URL]
http:// [URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/brentpavey1776/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140106_000636_zpscada2472.jpg.html][/URL]

Tyrone, what have you done?

You needs to make a potato canon!

Now fire up the die grinder, for the neighbors…

That is bad-assed.

I'd like info on the air dryer if you dont mind.
Ok so the purpose is if you put a regular air/water separator right at your air compressor the moisture will go right through as it doesnt have time to cool and condense. The basic principle of the dryer I made is the air enters halfway up the tank through the side in a pipe that turns downward by a 90 deg elbow with a orifice inside the tank ( this causes high pressure in the line and a pressure drop as it enters the tank) . So from there the air has a pressure drop and rises to the top of the tank where it exits. As it is rising the moisture condenses and falls to the bottom of the tank where there is a ball valve to drain when necessary. When it exits the top of the tank it goes through the coil which is just a secondary to catch any remaining moisture and also has a ball drain . After that its goes through a reg air/water separator. I know it works because on hot humid days I drain a shitload of water out of the tank but the water seperator is bone dry. If you were to put this on your air compressor in between the compressor and the main tank you would be putting cool dry air into the tank of you air compressor which would be a plus for the life of your air compressor. It just worked better for me the way I have it set up
Hope this makes sense. Will be glad to answer any questions

Forest, nice job.
I have a compressor/motor/base that I must now connect to a receiver tank that I was given, and I'm going to look further into fabricating what you have done there. Good job. I understand the principles of how it works, both the change in directions as well as the difference in pressure, so now I'm just going to take that array and scale it to my application. You've tested it, and say that it works. Great. Can you say anything about what you would 'change' and/or do different 'next time'?

Ok so the purpose is if you put a regular air/water separator right at your air compressor the moisture will go right through as it doesnt have time to cool and condense. The basic principle of the dryer I made is the air enters halfway up the tank through the side in a pipe that turns downward by a 90 deg elbow with a orifice inside the tank ( this causes high pressure in the line and a pressure drop as it enters the tank) . So from there the air has a pressure drop and rises to the top of the tank where it exits. As it is rising the moisture condenses and falls to the bottom of the tank where there is a ball valve to drain when necessary. When it exits the top of the tank it goes through the coil which is just a secondary to catch any remaining moisture and also has a ball drain . After that its goes through a reg air/water separator. I know it works because on hot humid days I drain a shitload of water out of the tank but the water seperator is bone dry. If you were to put this on your air compressor in between the compressor and the main tank you would be putting cool dry air into the tank of you air compressor which would be a plus for the life of your air compressor. It just worked better for me the way I have it set up
Hope this makes sense. Will be glad to answer any questions

Thanks for the info!

Very nice! Little tip.... I work in the structural steel/fab world. I get my glass beads and sand from paint shops. Their booths are filled with it. Little used, but works great for home use. The paint/sandblasting guys usually only charge 5 or 10 bucks to fill a 5 gal bucket of media. Just drop by a local paint shop and ask around. Might save you guys a pretty penny!

Brian K.

That's awesome Gump! Wish I would have thought of that shit. Im definitely going to make me one of them bad boys right there!

BTW , for those of you who dont have the time to build here is a link to a economical blast cabinet that is big enough to do barrelled actions.

The Barrel Blaster

Very slick design Gump. I have been tinkering with the idea to do a new blast cabinet Where can the pickle barrels be found?

Very slick design Gump. I have been tinkering with the idea to do a new blast cabinet Where can the pickle barrels be found?
I got mine at the pickle factory .....literally.
I was delivering some chemicals at the mt olive pickle plant in Mt Olive, North Carolina.
Asked one of the supervisors if I could buy one and he went out back and just gave it to me.
Funny thing , it still has a slight hint of pickle smell and I get hungry every time I blast something !

I've been impressed by a lot of the guys DIY's on this board, but this one is a masterpiece! The engineering and the attention to detail is amazing. So far as DIY,only if you are really talented! I'd love you to post some "Up and running" footage!

I got mine at the pickle factory .....literally.
I was delivering some chemicals at the mt olive pickle plant in Mt Olive, North Carolina.
Asked one of the supervisors if I could buy one and he went out back and just gave it to me.
Funny thing , it still has a slight hint of pickle smell and I get hungry every time I blast something !

I made a fur tumbler a while back and picked up a 55 gallon poly drum from Pepsi that was full of the syrup concentrate. Every time I opened it, it smelled like Pepsi.