• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hope i made the right move???

supersnake6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2010
va
went out today looking at the sps tacs and vtr in 308. came home from dicks with a savage 10fcp. 22" fluted bull barrel, with crown. oversized bolt handle, 4rd detach mag, accutrigger. package came with a tasco 3-9x40 mildot and rings (think they need to be junked).cost me $649, did i go wrong from leaving remington???. ive got 2 that i love, but my mark2 bvt savage is a tack driver too. the gun is heavier than the rems but feels great and the tupperware although cheap seems to be sturdy.ivs read the sps tacts stocks are kind of flexy.im going to be hunting deer from 15- 200yds and want to punch paper out farther.what i dont know is can a nikon 5-20x50 monarch suit my needs?.the 6-24 on my 22lrs are great to power up, but i dont want to be in the brush and loose my deer.scopes, mounts and rings for suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys for any help,ideas or remarks.

Re: hope i made the right move???

forgot to ask about the scopes. im also looking at a millet new generation 4-16 or 6-25x 56mm. is the 50 or 56mm bell gonna be a sighting in problem to shoot 0-200yds? the longer distance paper punching will just be for play right now until i learn more about the 308 and figure out its and my capabilities.im thinking the 5-20 or 6-25 will be to much power for close hunting but the 30mm tube and 56mm bell will compensate for the higher power on the lower end. i really want more than a 3-9 to get baptized into long range shooting but still its gonna be my deer gun. thanks again.

There is nothing wrong with a savage. Some will say they are crap, but I have yet to see proof on a mass production level. Barrel change out is easy, and they make a good shooter.

As for scope....these days the sky is the limit. I heard Millet had some issues, but I have no experience. If budget is what you need SS has a 10x, 3-9HD, mil/mil, Bushnell has a 3200 10x mil/moa or a mil/mil. Weaver makes one that got decent reviews and it is mil/mil. Also, 3-9 is good and 10x is good enough for some 1k shooting.
Variable power is fine, but if you want to do ranging at any power you will need a FFP scope, which are usually a bit more money. If you get a SFP then you need to find out what magnification the reticle is accurate for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersnake6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im thinking the 5-20 or 6-25 will be to much power </div></div>

If that's your thinking, you would be correct......

Here try this:

Bushnell FFP 3-12x44mm

Everything you need, 30mm tube, Illuminated Mildot reticle, FFP, and Mil adjustments and 3x for close in shots at the south end of a northbound deer.....

good all around scope is a leupold 4.5x14 30mm with side focus either vxIII or mark 4 they are wirtually the same thing anyways sans different knobs/reticles. the scope has 90 moa of adjustment and enough power to spot hits at 1000 fairly easy.

good choice on the savage over the remington, much better out the box accuracy from the ones i have seen.

As far as your rifle is concerned, it's up to YOU if you made a bad choice or not.Contrary to popular belief,Savage does make an excelent rifle.

As far as your scope goes....

Somone above already mentioned the 3-12 bushnell.And for the kind of things you mentioned to be doing with the rifle,i think thats a great choice!

I think anything in the power ranges of 3-12 or 4-16 will fit the bill nicely.If you have the means check out a 3.5-15 Nightforce NXS!

The Savage is a good choice for a starter rifle and can be built on almost as easly as the Remmy's. It should serve you well way into the future.

As for the scope, I'm bias to the super snipers for there ample elevation adjustments and ruggedness but the bushnell's hold there own pretty well for a budget minded rig. Be carefull of one thing before you buy a new scope, make sure you will have enough elevation to get to the distances you think you might try in the future. I'm not sure witch ones but some of the bugdet mil-dot scopes only have about 50moa and that will leave you short for alot of longrange shooting. anything with say 75 moa or more will do you just fine.

For your immediate use I agree with the choice of the Leupy 4.5-14 in either the VX-III or Mk 4 depending on you available cash.

My savage has never disappointed me.. I own both a remy and a savage

I just got a savage 10fcp with the mcmillan a5 stock. with hornady tap ammo this morning it grouped the 168gr. in .360" and the 155gr in .159".

Thanks for all the advice. think im going to look into a 4-16 power for now. spending limits are gonna be in the nikon range- about $300-350. not a high end sniper glass, but reliable and accurate. once again thanks to all and safe shooting.

I have to agree! The couple savages that I own have been shooters right out of the box.

Savage rifles are great deals, and fairly accurate for price. I have a remington, but you can pour a lot of money into on to go a magazine conversion, etc. Nothing wrong with Savage 10s they are good rifles.

As far as scopes for hunting would go with the lightest scope you can find and would not go beyond 15x. Actually even 9-10x would likely be enough. With moving targets and humane hunting, you don't need a lot of mag. Plus the more mag, the larger the scope. It get heavy lugging around, and heavy shooting free hand.

Yeah, well, everyone here knows I like Savages by now.

I also agree in that when you buy optics, more money means better optics.

But I also think that once one gets out of the optics bargain basement, it can take less money than some here think to come up with useable optics. If you're expecting perfection, spend lots, all you can afford; but if something less than perfection can still put you onto the target, read on...

This can get you up and running while you save your pennies for something more worthy. When you get that more worthy scope, this one will still do a very nice job on your .22LR trainer; and remain there, lurking in the wings, as a short-notice backup scope.

I have four, have had them several years now, and only 2 of them are on .22's. The other two ride a .30-'06 lightweight hunter, and a .260 Rem 1000yd Savage Custom F Class comp rifle.

Greg