• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the dimensions of the bolt stop pivot pin and the supporting geometry, but if it's a 0.125" pin in double-shear, then applying a 1000lb force still keeps the average stress at about 1/5th of the ultimate yield. Things get a bit more complicated if we're looking at fatigue life, but the take-away should be that it's probably pretty fuckin' robust and the chances are kinda low than anyone will rip their way past it.

Really looking forward to seeing the DVP&R for this thing, including the official THEIS bolt cycle ultimate load test :ROFLMAO: Back in my college days, I interned at a company that made automotive transmission shifters. The lab manager was a burly powerlifter with the initials KC, and the "KC 101" test was simply his attempt to bend the lever on whatever assembly was bolted to the bench. Yeah, sure, we also had a variety of test apparatus capable of applying substantial loads, but this test was a good way of confirming that the part would survive in the field.

Bring it !!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have a haircut and beard trim in the morning so will be all cleaned up for proper video T&E tomorrow evening, hahahaha

In the meantime....
Progress on the prototype spacer and follower for the incoming metal 3D printed magazines that have externals of the AI#20400 CIP LM but feed lip geometry for short action cartridges to go with the spacer and follower prototype.

These are in mill right now cleaning them up :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Mag Parts Proto.jpg
Mag Parts Proto2.jpg
Mag Parts Proto3.jpg
Mag Parts Proto4.jpg
Mag Parts Proto5.jpg

Last edited:
Theis,

I am interested in the 338 LM version shooting a Berger 300gr OTM. I have some questions.

Will this rifle mag feed this combo?

Will I be able to chase the lands as the barrel wears and still mag feed?

Ever thought of shooting a barrel out and measuring to the lands for the purposes of designing a magazine with an internal dimension suitable to still cycle elr bullets?

Could you develop a load out to 1 mile with the 300 grain berger otm?

Could you provide full length sizing dies cut for the chamber?

How do I order the rifle?

With apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread (i have been reading it but have not figured out how to search within a thread), or if the question is simply idiotic, have you formed any views or recommendations on suppressors for the Aspis when shooting these Leonidas high pressure cartridges? For example would the TBAC 338 Ultra handle these? Apologies again if this was covered or is just dopey.

Hi,

The Aspis uses standard CIP length magazine of 3.850".

At this moment we have no desire to jump into a proprietary magazine design; just for the pure simplicity and market share/historical statistics on the industry and proprietary magazines.

Proprietary magazines are good as long as you have enough market share but as far a new to market weapon system...proprietary magazines would be looked upon as a negative thing.

So, here I will try and separate my personal views from business views but share them both.

Personally....I do not like the 300gr class projectiles for the 338LM, it just wasn't built to handle them. The optimum weight class for a 338LM (IMO) is the 265-285gr weight class.

Business....There are lots of people that want the heaviest weight form factor projectile they can get so we will of course accommodate those desires.

Load development for 1 mile with the 300gr OTM?
Sure but we would need to line out the details of such as the following:
1. Would you like us to provide the components and consumables?
2. Would you like to provide the components and consumables?
3. Would you like this done with the scope you intend to run on the rifle so that you essentially just open the case and shoot?

Full length sizing dies for chamber?
We can coordinate that with Warner Tool if you would like. As they are pretty much best in USA for custom dies.

We will begin taking orders very shortly. We are running some final field testing since we changed a few clearances, etc from our last T&E rifles.

Sincerely,
Theis

With apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread (i have been reading it but have not figured out how to search within a thread), or if the question is simply idiotic, have you formed any views or recommendations on suppressors for the Aspis when shooting these Leonidas high pressure cartridges? For example would the TBAC 338 Ultra handle these? Apologies again if this was covered or is just dopey.

Hi,

We haven't gotten to that point officially yet. We will dive off into that once we get the cartridge case alloys/designs further along so that we know precisely where the pressures will be for our ammunition side of the house.
The 15-5PH 3D printed 300NM test cases should be finished shortly so we can get 1 step further in potential case alloys.

Edited To Add:
There are a couple suppressor comings making mention their suppressors "run better the faster you push the projectile"; so we shall see.
I have a pretty good assumption the guys over at TBAC will be able to satisfy my desires :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Make sure you get my address right on that shipping label... got my hammer and mud tub all ready! :)

Hi,

2 more "production" model Aspis rifles headed to 3rd party T&E trial phase.

Hopefully all the dedication, commitment, time and money in getting Hoplite Arms to where we are right now is getting ready to enter the "Taking Orders" phase of the business model, lol.

View attachment 7680846View attachment 7680847

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

2 more "production" model Aspis rifles headed to 3rd party T&E trial phase.

Hopefully all the dedication, commitment, time and money in getting Hoplite Arms to where we are right now is getting ready to enter the "Taking Orders" phase of the business model, lol.

View attachment 7680846View attachment 7680847

Sincerely,
Theis
Best post yet! **the “taking orders“ phase part**

Reactions: 1J04 and THEIS
Phantom Skittles got his die set yesterday and has everything else ready. He's anxiously waiting to take it to Thunder Valley and ding the mile.

Topstrap

Bravo and Congratulations on steering the project to this point. Wishing Hoplite nothing but success with this venture.

./

Hi,

Thank you Sir!!

I am pretty sure at times my steering wheel just stopped working and other times it would not turn fast enough, lol.

Anybody bringing cracklins to the Precision Rifle Expo? LOL....I will have oatmeal and sardines so that me and you do not starve, haha. Looking forward to finally meeting with you!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Next time I return to the motherland of Covington & Mandeville, can I come visit?

Hi,

Depends on where you coming from and how long you been there, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Phantom Skittles got his die set yesterday and has everything else ready. He's anxiously waiting to take it to Thunder Valley and ding the mile.

Topstrap

Hi,

Thunder Valley is pretty awesome facility and we cannot wait for PS to get his rifle in hand and get that "Ding" completed.
Take lots of pictures!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Terry Cross
Hi,

Thank you Sir!!

I am pretty sure at times my steering wheel just stopped working and other times it would not turn fast enough, lol.

Anybody bringing cracklins to the Precision Rifle Expo? LOL....I will have oatmeal and sardines so that me and you do not starve, haha. Looking forward to finally meeting with you!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Depends on where you coming from and how long you been there, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Thunder Valley is pretty awesome facility and we cannot wait for PS to get his rifle in hand and get that "Ding" completed.
Take lots of pictures!!

Sincerely,
Theis
Good deal, he's "dinged" it eith his 6.5x47, my 6XC, and 338 Lapua, his 223, my 6x47 ELR pistol and even his 6XC with peep sights. We're figuring the mile would be the starting point with your 338 Norma gun then go from there. Better to wait and have it right than rush it out with problems.

Topstrap

Last edited:
Reactions: sniper68
Announcement.png

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT (You are going to want to read this, lol)

We are in the final stages of testing the Aspis weapon system and will begin taking down payments toward the end of next week; with an anticipated lead time being 8 weeks (Dependent on barrel specifications as I have mentioned a few different times) for the Lapua Magnum boltface cartridges.

In the 8 weeks anticipated lead times for the Aspis model rifles we are hoping to be testing the Kopis conversion kits that will allow users to go from Lapua Magnum cartridges to regular magnum cartridges (300PRC, 300WM, etc) to short action cartridges (308, 6.5CM, etc).

NOW here is the important part of our down payment program!!
Apsis Weapon System (Base model): $6900
Down Payment: $3500
Balance Due: 30 Days AFTER DELIVERY!!!

Please email us: sales (at) hoplitearms.com so we can start going over how exactly you want your Aspis Weapon System configured.

Edited To Add:
Also if the Net 30 payment option is not suitable for you then we will offer an interest free layaway program where I send you monthly pictures of your rifle posing in any manner you request.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
So, presumably you send out a team of “retired professionals” with the next step up in performance if someone doesn’t pay?
I mean the dude seems to be able to figure out when someone’s tire pressure is low, if they left their garbage cans out overnight, and people willing send over their w2s to him. I don’t think getting payment is on his list of problems

Hi,

Actually we are going to a Kopis Conversion as to where the normal magnums and short action cartridges function in the Apsis host.

Kopis Conversion:
Bolt with proper boltface
Magazine for cartridge choice
Barrel (Yes you will be able to swap barrels with no vice :).

Essentially the Apsis has become a multicaliber host platform.

Sincerely,
Theis

Understand that this is for the Aspis only? Any hints on when you'll take orders for the Kopis?

Second, and tangentially related, was there a final colour list decided/announced?

Understand that this is for the Aspis only? Any hints on when you'll take orders for the Kopis?

Second, and tangentially related, was there a final colour list decided/announced?

Hi,

Kopis: See 2 posts above yours, lol.

Colors:
Chassis: Pretty much any cerakote color desired. Custom schemes and designs can be discussed during quote process.
Action: Birdsong Tan, Green, Copper, Brown, Grey, Black
Barrel: Either cerakote or Birdsong

Sincerely,
Theis

Oh, I assumed that there would be a standard action length and a long action. Didn't realize it was only a conversion kit. I don't ever see a need for me to run a magnum cartridge with this rifle.

Hi,

Yes there are going to be some that would rather have a standalone Short Action but to be completely honest with you and anyone else reading....

Being there is less than 1 inch physical length between the Lapua Magnum size and the short action size parts; that would make for a pretty expensive "standalone" short action rifle.

The financial perspective and value to customer just lends itself to have the Aspis System be the host to the Kopis conversion kits for the magnum and short action cartridges; along with the fact that you can run longer COAL in the Kopis Conversion than you could with standalone Kopis rifle.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Yes there are going to be some that would rather have a standalone Short Action but to be completely honest with you and anyone else reading....

Being there is less than 1 inch physical length between the Lapua Magnum size and the short action size parts; that would make for a pretty expensive "standalone" short action rifle.

The financial perspective and value to customer just lends itself to have the Aspis System be the host to the Kopis conversion kits for the magnum and short action cartridges; along with the fact that you can run longer COAL in the Kopis Conversion than you could with standalone Kopis rifle.

Sincerely,
Theis

Tracking, Thanks for the quick clarification. Not quite ready to pull the trigger, but this is top of the shortlist.

Tracking, Thanks for the quick clarification. Not quite ready to pull the trigger, but this is top of the shortlist.

Hi,

No problem and thanks needed. Having a thread and not engaging with you all would be a lose for my company. It is literally part of my job to communicate, clarify and discuss with you all.

IF we could have gotten the standalone Kopis at a lesser manufacturing cost it would have been able to fit into our business model but it would be the same cost as the Aspis model and since the Aspis with conversions can do everything the standalone Kopis could but the standalone Kopis could not do everything the Aspis can do.....We felt the consumers of the industry would get the most bang for their buck with Aspis as host platform.

Sincerely,
Theis

What will be the magazine situation with short action cartridges?

Hi,

@TheOfficeT-Rex
Just for clarification in case my English is not coming across properly.

You do not have to get the Aspis with the Lapua Magnum boltface and then a conversion.
You can just go direct to the short action boltface and magazine once we finalize testing of the magazines.
Then if and when you want to shoot further, you can get one of the larger boltface conversions.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: spife7980
Hi,

No problem and thanks needed. Having a thread and not engaging with you all would be a lose for my company. It is literally part of my job to communicate, clarify and discuss with you all.

IF we could have gotten the standalone Kopis at a lesser manufacturing cost it would have been able to fit into our business model but it would be the same cost as the Aspis model and since the Aspis with conversions can do everything the standalone Kopis could but the standalone Kopis could not do everything the Aspis can do.....We felt the consumers of the industry would get the most bang for their buck with Aspis as host platform.

Sincerely,
Theis
What’s the finished weight of the Aspis, and what would have been the finished weight of the Kopis?

Otherwise agreed, modularity is great.

What’s the finished weight of the Aspis, and what would have been the finished weight of the Kopis?

Otherwise agreed, modularity is great.

Hi,

Right around 18 pounds with 27" MTU barrels for the Aspis.
Assuming right around 17 pounds with 27" MTU barrels for the Kopis.

There is about 3/4" difference in action body length, bolt body length, firing pin length, and chassis center section length.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Does anyone know if "shortbus" (I think that was his sign on name) is still in the painting business and visits SH?

Sincerely,
Theis
Yes, definitely. Branden at Custom Gun Coatings is still doing work. I don't think he's very active on SH though. PM inbound.

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

So with the announcement that the Aspis will be a multi-caliber system in which you can choose either..

.585 Boltface
.540 Boltface
.473 Boltface

It is time to update the available cartridge options on the Aspis page of the website. Hoping to get finished today but here is where we are at, lol

Screenshot 2021-08-10 110117.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

So with the announcement that the Aspis will be a multi-caliber system in which you can choose either..

.585 Boltface
.540 Boltface
.473 Boltface

It is time to update the available cartridge options on the Aspis page of the website. Hoping to get finished today but here is where we are at, lol

View attachment 7683012

Sincerely,
Theis
Did I ever ask why no 50 BMG? Besides it’s dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.