• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Hi,

Well I figured with everyone going off about someone not having any details or pics of their upcoming new product release, lol...
    Figured I would play the exact opposite side of the coin and just drop picture hint with the full alloy details.
    NOTE: We are not entering the receiver market at this time...only production weapon systems. (Reasoning will be released soon :))

Thanks to @Lowlight for providing a place for us to interact direct with consumers and other industry personnel in a centralized location.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    DSCE8561-F.JPG

Aspis Mk2 B&W.jpg

2019-07-23 (3).png

EDITED TO ADD: 07/29/2019

Hi,
    I am updating the first post so that the below information can be easily located and easily accessible for reading/review.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially, we (Hoplite Arms) will offer complete weapon systems and will not be offering actions alone.

Through a methodical R&D testing program the soon to be offered weapon system and its specifically selected components have been painstakingly tested, redesigned and refined. For over 2 years the R&D process using software in tandem with field trials, have been performed in the most adverse conditions that can be found. Including but not limited to the winters in Finland and the deserts of the UAE. ranging in temperatures from subzero to 120F, while also enduring windblown snow and ultra-fine sand/dust particles which are known adversaries of firearm actions.

By offering a complete weapon system from the onset we (Hoplite Arms) can ensure that our design is not left vulnerable to issues that have plagued certain sectors of our industry, particularly over the past 5-10 years. Issues that are not only limited to small shops but the largest of manufacturers as well.

The action market at this moment has become myopic in trying to become the cheapest in price and/or continually offering products that have not gone through what we believe a proper R&D testing process should consist of. While not problematic at face value we believe that strategy has caused several continual and repeated detrimental issues within the industry.

Customers have had to experience unacceptable issues consisting of erratic lead times, manufacturers having to roll out product fixes/updates to designs that were not found during accelerated T&E, along with auxiliary items such as magazines or triggers not functioning properly.

While a continuous stream of new products is always a positive for the action market, those products should aim to improve or replace existing legacy products not only expand options available. The sheer amount of bolt-on aftermarket parts now available; while designed to meet OEM specs and interchangeability do not always work in sync with all customer build specs, criteria and combinations of component choices. This causes unforeseen issues by the end user/customer which a well-designed and thoroughly tested complete system will not have.

Hoplite Arms criteria and performance targets for these new projects (Kopis, Aspis and Phalanx weapon systems) has been aimed at not only adding value and increasing reliability (which should be paramount for any weapon system) but also to enlarge and exceed the current performance envelope.

In controlled testing environments our receivers have remained operational at pressures up to and including 131,000 PSI. Stage 2 pressure testing had increased pressures to approximately 152,000 PSI pressures without catastrophic receiver failure.

As expected the Aspis weapon systems’ action had not failed at that immense pressure. Although it should be noted the WM cartridge itself tore completely apart and locked the bolt up. In order to view internal results of the 152,000 PSI pressure test the barrel was cut out of the receiver.

Once the barrel was removed and the action was inspected, it was noticed the integrity of the action was not compromised. Particularly observed and noticed the extractor within the bolt itself was not compromised.

Needless to say, we are very proud of the design criteria and its’ functionality success.

EDITED TO ADD: 08/06/2019
    Hi,

Ok guys...requesting assistance from the end users in the industry. So please let us know your thoughts, reasoning(s) of your personal direction, etc etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    First, we at Hoplite arms would like to thank you for the immense support and continuous inquiries we have received thus far.

In keeping with our mission statement of eliminating what we believe are unacceptable issues, Hopelite Arms has begun to procure specific components well in advance.

One decision to better serve the customer and keep to quoted build completion dates will be the implementation of safety stock or reorder points, for many if not all long or erratic lead time components.
    One of the targeted components is the Sentinel Combat Stock, designed by Terry Cross of KMW Long Range Solutions.
    KMW/Mr. Cross has been generous enough to allow Hoplite Arms the opportunity to offer the Sentinel Combat Stock as a build option, we are though forced to deal with the lead times of McMillan Fiberglass Stocks as the manufacturer of those.
    Hoplite Arms has begun acquiring Sentinel Combat Stocks immediately.

In light of this information Hoplite Arms will be conducting an informal survey of demand for either the KMW Combat Stock and/or the AR-15 accessory compatible Doru center section chassis of our own manufacturing.

Keep in mind this is not a pre-order or position within the production/build schedule, but an information gathering exercise to help us better serve the customer as we move forward.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:
    So.... 3 lug bolt from the looks of it. Breech ring instead of machined in lugs. Not a 700 footprint. Top-mounted bolt guide instead of on the side.

Interesting.

Hi,

Yes, 60 degree bolt with 10 degree above horizontal.
    Double plunger ejectors.
    M16 style extractor.
    Bolt stop has no springs, levers, etc....
    Also an important safety feature is that it is not possible to throw the bolt in to the action with the firing pin in forward position (fired position) causing an accidental discharge of any live cartridge in the chamber. Trying to do this will cause the bolt to hit the rear surface of the receiver.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

Double plunger ejectors.
    M16 style extractor.
    Also an important safety feature is that it is not possible to throw the bolt in to the action with the firing pin in forward position (fired position) causing an accidental discharge of any live cartridge in the chamber. Trying to do this will cause the bolt to hit the rear surface of the receiver.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Flat bottom???

Reactions: THEIS
    Hi,

Double plunger ejectors.
    M16 style extractor.

Sincerely,
    Theis

That last bit is really interesting.

Reactions: Mrpike71 and THEIS
    Looks good THEIS. If it’s not a Rem700 footprint, what stocks or chassis are we looking at for it?
    Thanks

I like the 90° sear surface, ala Anschutz. Trigger housing and single bolt to attach is interesting. I'm curious to see what you guys are doing with the trigger.

Hmm might have to rethink my future plans. I’m really interested to see the final results. Or even some not so final results. ? @THEIS. I’m sure you will have a endless supply of people willing to do testing for you. But I’d be more than happy to be on that long list.

Reactions: THEIS and Basher
    From the title of one of your images one might deduct we are looking at an "Aspis Mk. II Action". since it read Aspis Mk.II B&W and the jpeg was black and white..

From the title of one of your images one might deduct we are looking at an "Aspis Mk. II Action". since it read Aspis Mk.II B&W and the jpeg was black and white..

Hi,

Almost lol, that was name we name we messed with a while back...but no longer since we are going full weapon system due to some unreleased info :).

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:
    @THEIS ,

Hmmm...this looks good. I see the Mk I concept evolved a bit; this looks good. Glad to see you able to bring this to market!

P.S. I still want a swept bolt handle. :D

• Haha
    Reactions: jakelly and THEIS
    @THEIS ,

Hmmm...this looks good. I see the Mk I concept evolved a bit; this looks good. Glad to see you able to bring this to market!

P.S. I still want a swept bolt handle. :D

Hi,

Thanks...figured was better to evolve now than after released into the wild.
    Even though that has caused delays but something I can live with knowing things done correct and in full from the beginning.

? How much sweep you want on your dang bolt handle lol?

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Hi,

Even though that has caused delays but something I can live with knowing things done correct and in full from the beginning.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Concur.

As to the bolt handle, mimic the AI. It's not just angle, but length as well. I personally feel, that putting the force for moving the bolt to the rear (and minimally offset from the longitudinal axis) makes the bolt movement "feel" smoother by not allowing a shooter to bind the bolt against the receiver wall. As we discussed earlier, I think this is why the "AI style" bolt handles are so popular with the Tikkas; they reduce the perpendicular leverage by the shooter when transitioning from unlocking the bolt to extracting (rearward movement) the case. As a result, the bolt operation just "feels" smoother. Essentially, you're pulling the bolt back, rather than dragging it back.

Again, just my personal thoughts on this matter.

As an aside, after @Lowlight 's discussion on LOP of stocks, I've begun wondering if moving the trigger group back a full inch (via changing the geometry of the trigger hanger) on an action might be worth exploring. I say this for two reasons:

1. It would allow a shooter to better "square up" behind the rifle by not forcing them to have to shift their strong side shoulder around the rifle to reach the trigger.

2. By not having to reach around the rifle as much to reach the trigger, the strong side arm would stay closer to the body, allowing a narrower (stronger) angle for the body's position (smaller, shorter triangles would create a stronger, more stable position).

If you think about shooting a bullpup rifle, one of the reasons it feels "tighter" is that the shooter's limbs aren't as extended due to the compact nature of a bullpup design. This lack of extension is why (JMHO) most shooters comment on how "nimble" or "manageable" the rifle feels when operating it.

It would also alleviate the issue most shooters of shorter stature have with rifle stocks (LOP is too long). Or as Beau (one of our local SS Instructors) put it about his wife, "her "T-Rex arms" affect her ability to easily "get on the gun" when building a position on the clock".

At any rate, just an after thought that has been rolling around my noggin' the past few months since we talked about rifle designs, and Frank's discussion about the LOP being typically too long for many shooters since we have transitioned to the "square on the rifle" for recoil management, vice the older "angled away from the rifle" positions of the past. This design would be a radical change in stock and trigger location ergos, but something to think about...

I'm rambling...need more coffee...

Hi,

Sincerely,
    Theis

I'm a fan of the AI style handle. I've got an early Tempest action, and the bolt handle is actually one of my favorite things about it. As a PRS shooter, the shape and position of the handle makes it really easy to manipulate, especially in a hurry.

Reactions: goneballistic
    What kind of stock/chassis and what’s ballpark pricing for a short action system (or total system if it’s not relegated to short or long action)?

@THEIS how is the bolt removed? Do you first have to unscrew and remove the Bolt Guide Lid?

What kind of stock/chassis and what’s ballpark pricing for a short action system (or total system if it’s not relegated to short or long action)?
    action sizes and boltfaces listed above. post 29

it is a highly customizable chassis/system design. he can divulge more if he wants

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    @THEIS how is the bolt removed? Do you first have to unscrew and remove the Bolt Guide Lid?

Hi,

Actually you do not. Essentially there is a notch that will allow the bolt to be turned an additional 30deg counter-clockwise that compresses the firing pin spring during the rotation that allows the bolt to come out.

Sneak "Peek", not press release :)
    Will all come out in due time.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Wow, this is quite interesting! A lot of very unique features here! I’d be happy to compare it to my AIAT, if you still need more people to test/review it..... ;) :LOL:

That having been said, I’m with the others on the AI style bolt handle/knob. I wasn’t sure I’d like it when I got my AI, having been used to the Badger knob (which I still like). But honestly, I REALLY like the bolt shape and angle of the AI, and wish I could get it on all my rifles.

Looking forward to more details!

Status
    Not open for further replies.