• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lash

Couple bucks a day and comb through the crap in the back of the safe for the PX.

It’s prob closer than you think.
I rarely sell what’s in the safe and often regret it a bit, but am considering it just the same. Dammit man! I used to consider myself a sane man... :cool:

Same here I never sold anything.

I’d poke fun...how could you sell a rifle etc.

Then I noticed the equipment I was buying was 10 fold better than the old shit I had before.

Never shot the old stuff and when I did...it wasn’t that “hot” anyway.

Kept a few that are sentimental but other than that...out with the old in with the new.

Ymmv

Same here I never sold anything.

I’d poke fun...how could you sell a rifle etc.

Then I noticed the equipment I was buying was 10 fold better than the old shit I had before.

Never shot the old stuff and when I did...it wasn’t that “hot” anyway.

Kept a few that are sentimental but other than that...out with the old in with the new.

Ymmv
You and your damn logic.

Reactions: Steel head
Hi,

UPDATE:
After countless weeks of researching and testing various metal coatings.....
I am personally pleased to announce that the Hoplite Arms receiver and bolt assembly will utilize Birdsong Black T or Green T coatings.
I am also excited to announce that Hoplite Arms is in final stages of securing our license to bring this coating process in-house for our use.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

UPDATE:
After countless weeks of researching and testing various metal coatings.....
I am personally pleased to announce that the Hoplite Arms receiver and bolt assembly will utilize Birdsong Black T or Green T coatings.
I am also excited to announce that Hoplite Arms is in final stages of securing our license to bring this coating process in-house for our use.

Sincerely,
Theis
Dayum!

This is getting serious. Can I interest you in a trade? Maybe some swamp land in Florida? I don't exactly own it, but, um, we could work something out? :sneaky::cool:

• Haha
Dayum!

This is getting serious. Can I interest you in a trade? Maybe some swamp land in Florida? I don't exactly own it, but, um, we could work something out? :sneaky::cool:

Actually,,,,
You do own it. The Green Swamp is 50,000 acres and its public land. Therefore both you and I own it.
You can fence off your acre and mine and use it for trade fodder with @THEIS

Word has it, he's wanting to buy some land here, but the housing isn't close enough to the nearest Wally World and Publix.

Hi,

Spinning bolts on a cold and wet Tuesday night....

Sincerely,
Theis

Bolt Ops - Copy.jpg

Birdsong Black T is an awesome coating. I had a 1911 tuned up, worked over, and coated inside and out over 15 years ago. It was my primary competition pistol for multiple years of IDPA and USPSA (Limited 10). The finish looks great today, even after much abuse and riding in kydex holsters.

Reactions: kthomas
... It's too legit to quit.

Hi,

In Mid 40s?, lol....now that song is stuck in my head....Great!!

Dayum!

This is getting serious. Can I interest you in a trade?

Hi,

You did not think that I was going to settle for some easy bake oven type of coating right, hahaha...
Now onto that trade.....
Corbon Hydro Press
4 Door Ambulance converted into Range vehicle
Sterna/Vector or Sterna/JIM combo units.

Birdsong Black T is an awesome coating. I had a 1911 tuned up, worked over, and coated inside and out over 15 years ago. It was my primary competition pistol for multiple years of IDPA and USPSA (Limited 10). The finish looks great today, even after much abuse and riding in kydex holsters.

Hi,

That is awesome.....kydex is almost like the kryptonite to a firearm coating. Not many rifle uses that can equal the coating abuse of competition pistols.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: lash
Could be a stupid question., but I’ll take the risk anyway (There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. I could very well turn out to be one!). How does Birdsong differ from the other coatings that mass producers of firearms utilize? Educate me, make me look stupid, please ?

Hi,

Nice and shiny in the raw bolt.......

Tipping my hat to @clcustom1911 with this picture because he is mourning the accidental death of his Tikka bolt that jumped off the work bench....
Here's to you pal, haha

Sincerely,
Theis

View attachment 7205815
You, my good Sir, are an asshole.

Well played indeed.

@THEIS - what’s the chances of getting one to Australia?

Hi,

Luckily I am knowledgeable in all things ITAR (Exportation of anything on USML Sec 121 List).
Hoplite Arms has an entire department that handles nothing but DDTC and Commerce exportation's.

Do you have a dealer that can handle the importation and documents required or do you need me to find one?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Luckily I am knowledgeable in all things ITAR (Exportation of anything on USML Sec 121 List).
Hoplite Arms has an entire department that handles nothing but DDTC and Commerce exportation's.

Do you have a dealer that can handle the importation and documents required or do you need me to find one?

Sincerely,
Theis

Sent you a PM
Matt

Gonna have a kmw build at shot show by chance?

Hi,

That really is a plan but I cannot say for certain that we can get the work finished for that; hoping to in worse case scenario have one that maybe isn't bedded or such sitting in case behind the scenes for you to put your hands on.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Hi,

"Now", lolol....I have replaced 2 entry doors and a tile walkway this week alone; from pacing back and forth, haha.

North Korean soldier has nothing on my sentry pacing skills after this week.

Sincerely,
Theis
Your fed more than they are hopefully.

• Haha
Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

That really is a plan but I cannot say for certain that we can get the work finished for that; hoping to in worse case scenario have one that maybe isn't bedded or such sitting in case behind the scenes for you to put your hands on.

Sincerely,
Theis

Given the bits and pieces you have shown, and noting that SHOT (the Pop-Up Preview) is 33 days off , its unclear (to me) why there is a question about being able to display a finished KMW-configuration exemplar? Please advise: (1) the "firm" plan for what will be on display at the show, (2) the current best estimate for shipping first units to customers, and (3) the pricing (or the "plan" date for releasing pricing). Thanks.

Given the bits and pieces you have shown, and noting that SHOT (the Pop-Up Preview) is 33 days off , its unclear (to me) why there is a question about being able to display a finished KMW-configuration exemplar?

Hi,

Well I can assure you there are lots of things going on that are unclear; some by design and others not.

In short...there is a very specific reason why I did not post and/or tell @Dthomas3523 that we would absolutely have a Sentinel stocked weapon system on display at Shot Show........Something not seen in this industry many times but is a fantastic business philosophy...

"Under Promise and Over Deliver" because you never know what can come up...... :)

As for as what we will have at the Shot Show booth....as mentioned a few post up; I will display the booth setup here so that those members here that cannot attend Shot Show will see everything and be able to get the updates at same time.

I encourage you to find another company owner in this industry that has been as transparent as I have been about Hoplite Arms, our products and our intentions.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Given the bits and pieces you have shown, and noting that SHOT (the Pop-Up Preview) is 33 days off , its unclear (to me) why there is a question about being able to display a finished KMW-configuration exemplar? Please advise: (1) the "firm" plan for what will be on display at the show, (2) the current best estimate for shipping first units to customers, and (3) the pricing (or the "plan" date for releasing pricing). Thanks.

Wow.....

2A421C27-420A-4A17-9E55-AA8A8BC15D5D.gif

Everyone bitches about this industry not making release dates.

A company finally doesn’t make hard promises they may not be able to keep.

Then people demand hard dates.

dont be too hard on him guys

prob just trolling for insider info so he can be the first to post it and feel important

YMMV

Could be a stupid question., but I’ll take the risk anyway (There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. I could very well turn out to be one!). How does Birdsong differ from the other coatings that mass producers of firearms utilize? Educate me, make me look stupid, please ?
I had the same question.
A quick google search answered it for me.

Here yah go.

When it comes to rifle finishes, the standard by which all the others are measured is the legendary Black-T. Black-T is specifically singled out as the required finish on the weapons from numerous government agencies around the world, including the FBI’s HRT rifles and 1911’s. One of the interesting things about the Birdsong company is that they do no advertising and really do not push their product, making public available information fairly scarce. Well, we recently had the opportunity to sit down (on the phone) and talk for a while to Walter Birdsong himself and learn about his finishes and a bit about the history of the company and development of the finish.
As with all good stories (and businesses) this one has a beginning. Back in the 1950’s Walter Birdsong started Southern Chemical, a chemical company that he sold in 1963 to Allied Chemical. You see, Walter lives down in Mississippi where the humidity is high, and Walter has always been a hunter and shooter, but high humidity and firearms usually do not mix well and a rusting problem begins. It was this continued battle with firearms rust, and his background in Chemicals that got him thinking. So, he put his training to use and developed for himself a chemical process to apply a finish to a firearm that would prevent rusting, was extremely thin yet very durable, and to top it off, self lubricating. This is where Black-T originated from, and to think, it was nearly 30 years ago. Well, the word started to spread and other people wanted this same finish on their firearms, and before Walter knew it, he had a business on his hands.
Now, Birdsong is still applying the same finish, with only very slight modifications, to firearms and many other things defensive or military in nature. Because of their large defense projects, and maybe even more so because of their reputation, they do not advertise, and have no desire to start. They are still happy to coat individual customers firearms, but do not be surprised if your project gets pushed back 6-8 weeks due to another large project. Green-T and Black-T are ONLY applied by Birdsongs crew and the only way to get a firearm finished is to send it to them.

tang51close.jpg
The finish itself is something to be marveled. One of the most critical aspects of a firearm finish is the thickness of the coating when applied. Most Teflon and other new age finishes are 1-3 mils thick (.001″ – .003″), Black-T is .2-.3 Mils thick (.0002″ – .0003″). Remarkably thin, and extremely slick with a drag coefficient of only .08. The finish is very durable and is chemically bonded to the metal and can be applied to almost any type of metal, ferrous or nonferrous, including the likes of Titanium. The finish is even applied to springs with no problems. Another feature of the finish is that it needs no lubrication, and is even recommended NOT to use oil or other lubricants on internal parts.
So how tough is the finish? Based on our own personal experiences, it is extremely tough. The color will wear in high wear areas, like slide rails and bolts. But it takes a while before it does! Walter says he has NEVER had to warranty a finish on any product. That is not bad considering how firearms are sometimes abused, and the finish has been in use for over 25 years. One of the reasons for its durability is because there is NO color pigment in the finish at all, providing extreme wear protection, and the finish never stops hardening. during its lifetime. The corrosion protection is just as good. An independent testing committee quit the salt test spray after 7464 hours because there was no sign at all of corrosion and they felt they were wasting their time and wouldn’t see any for a long time. The finish also has 50,000 hours of US Navy use with no corrosion. We have two firearms from Tactical Operations with Green-T finishes and they have held up extremely well with just light wear marks on the bolts, and these rifles are field rifles that are not babied at the range. They see much field work and the finish has held up great.
greenhornet2.jpg
The Green-T finish came many years after the Black-T and was developed at the request of US Navy Intelligence. It took 3 years of development before the finish was finalized to match the provided green color from the US Navy. Again, there is no color pigment in the finish at all. An interesting fact was that the Green-T used to be IR Reflective until the FBI approached Birdsong and asked them to please remove that capability, in which they did do.
So much more can be said about the product and its history, but we better keep this article to a reasonable size. The Green and Black-T products have a reputation of outstanding capability, and deservedly so. If you would like to have your own firearm (rifle, pistols, shotguns, etc) coated in one of these fantastic finishes, you can contact Birdsong direct at 601-939-7448. We hope you enjoyed finding out this information and history as much as we did! A thanks goes out to Tactical Operations for arranging the interview and especially for Walter Birdsong for spending a little bit of time with us and even seeming as if he enjoyed it!

Hi,

That might be one of the best write-ups and information about Birdsong coating on the www.

We are doing the entire receiver, bolt assembly, breech cylinder, trigger, etc etc all the way down to pins, springs and screws. Inside and Out.

OT: Now if you really want to read about an interesting coating....read about Birdsongs WMDTox: Chemical Nerve Agent Self Decontamination Technology.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Good Evening,
The good doctor Theis is providing unprecedented insight into his forthcoming product. I can assure y’all after nearly 20 years in the firearms industry, this level of detail usually requires an NDA. I for one appreciate the under promise, over deliver approach. Quite refreshing, carry on....

Cheers,
Middle Man

one article I found they said it passed 1500 hours in a salt spray cabinet..this article states they quit after 7464 hours. That's insane for a something only .0002 to .0003 thick!

Wonder how they apply it? Spray and bake? Or something like an anodizing process?
All I can find online is "
It is a multi-step process that employs a series of chemically bonding production steps"

Be sure to post videos of the application process:)

one article I found they said it passed 1500 hours in a salt spray cabinet..this article states they quit after 7464 hours. That's insane for a something only .0002 to .0003 thick!

Wonder how they apply it? Spray and bake? Or something like an anodizing process?
It is a multi-step process that employs a series of chemically bonding production steps"

I’d imagine they’re pretty secretive about the process and pics and video might be a problem.

submarines

I’d imagine they’re pretty secretive about the process and pics and video might be a problem.

Product Licensing

We are currently accepting applications for all of the W. E. Birdsong, Inc. products. For more information on obtaining a license, contact: Jaffa or Wally.

Were in the process on starting up a fleet refinish/custom coating business and ive been searching for over a year now
on possibile high end niche coating process we could add to our business. Ive considered Cerakote and plating and anodizing but not sold on it. Since it says this on their website "

In addition to the above, the coating has the following applications:

• Automotive Uses: Carburetors, shock absorber valves, articular connections, steering column bearings, filters, axes for ventilation units, arms for windshield wipers, door mechanisms, parts for braking systems etc.
  • Electrical/Electronic Uses: Electrical insulators, printed circuit boards, electronic kits and sensors.
  • Weapons and Ammunition: Fuses, ammunition stored in a nautical environment, missile scanning heads, insulation rings in missile guidance systems, machine gun mountings, Volcan cannons, 0.5mm machine guns, and cannons.
  • Optical Equipment: telescopes, night vision equipment, periscope cases, projector cases, snorkel sets for submarines.
  • General Uses: Inner coating for fire extinguishers, valves, containers for chemical products, operating room equipment, air conditioning condensers, sealing supports for jet oil filters, seat columns on tanks and artillery, antennas and antenna bases, axes and parts which suffer from corrosion due to differences in conductivity (electro-negativity), nuts and bolts."
Just for the heck of it ill contact Jaffy or Wally and ask for an application. Cant hurt to try!

I can't wait to see one of these with the birdsong coating sitting is that sweet KMW stock!! This thread has been fantastic. @THEIS thank you for all you've shared with us so far! It's cool getting to see some of the behind the scenes stuff.

I work for a company that sells cutting tools and we get to work on a lot of cool projects with customers and help with process improvement but we rarely get to see a product all the way through from design to completion. I've really enjoyed the reading and am looking forward to enjoying the finished product.

Most likely applied incorrectly, it sure isn't magic.

IMG_0401.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tshakabika
Status
Not open for further replies.