• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady 147 ELDM blowing up

Searched for 147 ELDM jacket separation or bullets blowing up/coming apart down range on here and one dead thread with 7 posts about the 147 and another on the 180 ELDMs.

Over the past 2 weeks i've talked to at least 15 people who have experienced both factory Hornady 6.5PRC and reloads using 147gr ELDM bullets coming apart between 40 and 150 yards down range.

June 13/14th and 20/21st I had back to back matches. The NF ELR outside of casper and SnipersHide Cup in eastern Washington. I planned on shooting factory 300PRC 225ELDM for the ELR and factory 6.5PRC for the hide cup. Normally I would reload but I bought a house just before the covid bullshit and i've been putting in new flooring. I haven't even unpacked my reloading equipment. I had time to prep and test the 300PRC which was showing good results, I didn't bother testing the 6.5PRC because I was going to shoot the same lot and barrel that I shot at the NF ELR last year and had zero issue.

At the NF match, the factory 300 worked pretty well, yet one of the guys in my squad (Steve) was going to shoot factory Hornady 6.5prc. During zero, he got 5 round on target which grouped around 1-1.5 inches. Pretty horrible really considering last year that same rifle with the same lot of ammo was shooting 1/2 inch. He asked me to zero his rifle to double check he wasn't just screwing something up majorly. I got behind the rifle, double checked turrets were zeroed, picked a fresh shoot-n-see and broke a shot. Nothing. I had @NoLegs24 get behind me and watch over top to look for anything out of the ordinary. Second shot I took, I watched a banana appear about 6 inches away from point of impact and I hear laughing behind me as he said there was a white puff around 40 yards down range.

View attachment 7358183

I passed the target around to a few people at the match and multiple people spoke up saying they have either experienced the same thing themselves with the 147gr ELDM or they know of some who has had the same issue.

Luckily we drove to Wyoming and most of us brought 2 guns. Steve was able to use a 6x47 which he got some hits at 1400 with.

After the match, we drove home and because the SH cup requires short action calibers, I swapped to my 6.5PRC barrel (Bartlein 5r - 1:8) and had a bunch of factory hornady. It worked great last year so I figured it would be fine this year as well. Fast forward to thursday and we flew out to Spokane. Pulled my rifle out to check zero since I didn't even have a chance to shoot between getting home from Wyoming and flying to Spokane.

Fuck me, wouldn't group for shit and bullets were blowing up just past the 100 yard line.
View attachment 7358289

Here is a link to the video of it blowing up. set playback speed to .25 and quality as high as can go and you will see them pop then impact the dirt

Cleaned the shit out of the barrel to see if maybe there was a carbon ring increasing pressure as velocity was at 3060. Removed all carbon and no luck. still popping them.

This was damn frustrating because of all the time and money spent to get to this match just to have the rifle go down due to factory ammo , which worked fine last year.

@NoLegs24 was shooting a 6.5PRC also, our barrels were ordered together and probably came off the line one after another from bartlein, they were both chambered one after another by Matt at Sawtooth rifles. He hand loaded 140 Nosler RDFs at 2950 and had no issues. The issue here comes down to the 147 ELDM. Factory ammo should not come apart like this.

According to the RPM formula (12/8 = 1.5*3060 = 4590*60 = 275,400RPM) these 147s should not have been coming apart. Anything over 290,000 rpm is the danger zone for bullets coming apart.

Ended up getting lucky and borrowed 2 separate rifles. Most of the match I shot an Axial Precision chambered in 25SST in a manners EH1A and a steiner m7xi MSR2 with a prototype Elite Iron suppressor. When ammo was getting low, I swapped and shot a 6.5cm

anyone else see the 147ELDMs come apart on them?

"Liked" you just for your Patriotism postscript. Likewise. For your post, this and you are way beyond me. I just shoot 140 grain ELDM with sub-max loads and have no problems, but am not pushing limits like you are. Good luck finding a solution, it's NUTS when things don't work.

Many years ago, (15+) i was trying to shoot the 140 A-Max in a 6.5X284 around 2900 fps in a 1-8 Kreiger 5R. Lost half of them in 100 yds, Switched to 142 SMK's and have never lost a bullet. I DON'T shoot Hornady bullets. Still Shoot the 142's

I've been reading up on this more since 147gr will be the first and only 6.5 CM ammo I'll have. I'm hoping if I have issues Hornady will replace the rounds.

I'll be shooting them out of a Bergara HMR so hopefully they'll stay together.

I've been reading up on this more since 147gr will be the first and only 6.5 CM ammo I'll have. I'm hoping if I have issues Hornady will replace the rounds.

I'll be shooting them out of a Bergara HMR so hopefully they'll stay together.

In a 6.5 Creedmoor they should be fine. I don't think you'll have any problems.

I tried one box of the 147 bullets. When I had a bullet hole that was a perfect side profile of the bullet I moved on. Mind you this was out of a 5r 6.5 creedmoor. I wasn’t pushing the velocity, just getting a feel for the bullet in my rifle. I still shoot the tried and true 140 hornady match but I’m over the 147.

There’s definitely a problem they need to address.

Well finally just happened to me to. I have shot mostly 147 ELDMs loaded in 6.5 CM at around 2750-2850 out of two Bartlein 1-8 twist 26inch barrels.
They have always performed well and were cheap so I ran it for field matches/PRS/etc.

But this weekend I was at Sac Valley shooting a paper 1000 yard match, there's a 20x36 inch paper target on a 6x6 feet cardboard backer (that's cleaned before the match). And they are pulled an scored by someone in the pits every string. I would be on paper for a parts of a string and then nothing. Guys in the pits weren't see any splash on the berms and no stray hits on targets left or right of mine. Happened probably 4-5 times out of 50 rounds.

Another guy shooting 7mm 190 atips @2750 FPS also had one blow up as well.

Gonna email Hornday and see if I get anywhere.....and also just ordered 500 Berger 140 Hybrids

Last edited:
Well finally just happened to me to. I have shot mostly 147 ELDMs loaded in 6.5 CM at around 2750-2850 out of two Bartlein 1-8 twist 26inch barrels.
They have always performed well and were cheap so I ran it for field/PRS/etc.

But this weekend I was at Sac Valley shooting a paper 1000 yard match, there's a 20x36 inch paper target on a 6x6 feet cardboard backer (that's cleaned before the match). And they are pulled an scored by someone in the pits every string. I would be on paper for a parts of a string and then nothing. Guys in the pits weren't see any splash on the berms and no stray hits on targets left or right of mine. Happened probably 4-5 times out of 50 rounds.

Gonna email Hornday and see if I get anywhere.....and also just ordered 500 Berger 140 Hybrids

Add this thread to the email.

everyone who has had issues should email them and add this link.

Reactions: Mk32784
I have now sent over 6000 of the 147 ELDM thru 3 different Krieger 4 groove barrels at around 2750 fps. Everyone hit steel (or the dirt birm:ROFLMAO: behind it). I hope my combination continues to work.

Reactions: TCG76 and BCX
I have now sent over 6000 of the 147 ELDM thru 3 different Krieger 4 groove barrels at around 2750 fps. Everyone hit steel (or the dirt birm:ROFLMAO: behind it). I hope my combination continues to work.

I mean that was me before I got a bad batch.

They make hundreds of thousands of these bullets for factory ammo and for sale as bullets. But the number of bad ones that make it past QC seem to increasing, to the point a lot of people are experiencing this. I can't risk opening up a new lot thinking there's a chance I'll get failures, esp for traveling to matches with the amount of time and money invested.

I guess I am lucky have not had any issues with 147ELD-M in my 6.5cm. I am using a 1-7 twist 26 in barrel pushing them at 2790 AVG and accuracy has been great. Not 1 blow up in over 250 shot.

I mean that was me before I got a bad batch.

They make hundreds of thousands of these bullets for factory ammo and for sale as bullets. But the number of bad ones that make it past QC seem to increasing, to the point a lot of people are experiencing this. I can't risk opening up a new lot thinking there's a chance I'll get failures, esp for traveling to matches with the amount of time and money invested.
I get this. Luckily I am too old to compete. And my 1 mile range is only 30 minutes away. I can take the risk.

Some of mine were hitting sideways at 100 shooting 147 eld factory. Some didn’t even make it to the target. Very frustrating host a case in early 2020.

Attachments

• B78B2776-8F47-47BB-A168-40F79789A9AC.jpeg
    B78B2776-8F47-47BB-A168-40F79789A9AC.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 117
Some of mine were hitting sideways at 100 shooting 147 eld factory. Some didn’t even make it to the target. Very frustrating host a case in early 2020.
This is unfortunate. There's been a big delay on getting my rifle but I have 300rds of factory 147gr to shoot once I get it.

I hope Hornady will refund or just send 140gr to replace with all these issues.

Yea, definitely sucks. I haven’t finished loading the 153.5 Berger’s. Mine’s a 1:7 28” barrel and they’re just not holding up.

Midway has these in 140gr factory loaded. I don't reload yet so I may switch to these once I shoot all my 147gr ELDs. They're just very expensive.
So I'm also considering 140gr ELD since I haven't heard issues with those.

even if the 140s don’t have issues, why support a company that blames its customers when there is clearly an issue with bullets they make?

I’m not giving them any more money until they publicly admit there is an issue and they are working on fixing it.

It’s not one or two people having issues. This thread shows a bunch as well as links to other forums and almost everyone knows someone who had issues with some hornady bullets.

even if the 140s don’t have issues, why support a company that blames its customers when there is clearly an issue with bullets they make?

I’m not giving them any more money until they publicly admit there is an issue and they are working on fixing it.

It’s not one or two people having issues. This thread shows a bunch as well as links to other forums and almost everyone knows someone who had issues with some hornady bullets.

You're right. I've actually found Nolser RDF 140gr on Midway as well, they look awesome. I think I'll slowly build up on Berger and Nolser until I start reloading.

That's why I only buy Hornady for subsonic loads.

Bang for the bucks the SMK/TMKs are unbeatable at my LGS.

Yea, definitely sucks. I haven’t finished loading the 153.5 Berger’s. Mine’s a 1:7 28” barrel and they’re just not holding up.
Berger is the solution. Everyone should just send the Hornadys back w no notice.

Reactions: UPSTATERAM
I've had accuracy issues that suddenly appeared in my 308 and 6.5 using Hornady 168 eld-m and 140 eld-m bullets. I switched to Berger and my problems were instantly solved. I also get far better consistency at distance. I got random fliers that were feet off the target with Hornady.

I called Hornady and they basically said it was my problem, and that the accuracy I was getting was acceptable.

I've had accuracy issues that suddenly appeared in my 308 and 6.5 using Hornady 168 eld-m and 140 eld-m bullets. I switched to Berger and my problems were instantly solved. I also get far better consistency at distance. I got random fliers that were feet off the target with Hornady.

I called Hornady and they basically said it was my problem, and that the accuracy I was getting was acceptable.

same ive seen...it seemed to vary lot to lot quite a bit...some lots were solid start to finish, others, were a pain in the ass

in '13-'15, i started with hornady amax in most everything because they were cheaper...blamed the random "fliers" on me

'16 to when ever the ELDs came out - i shot bergers...instantly noticed a difference down range in consistency without changing anything on my end

when the ELDs came out - switched back to try hornady, they seemed better than the AMAXs i remembered, but still didnt match the bergers...shot plenty well with them a lot of times, but i could still tell i was giving up a few shots here and there

mid '19 - pretty much switched back to berger for good, all the little randomness gone, scores and impact % went up...very, very rarely am i surprised by a miss...usually i know soon as i broke it, and it was my fault

same ive seen...it seemed to vary lot to lot quite a bit...some lots were solid start to finish, others, were a pain in the ass

in '13-'15, i started with hornady amax in most everything because they were cheaper...blamed the random "fliers" on me

'16 to when ever the ELDs came out - i shot bergers...instantly noticed a difference down range in consistency without changing anything on my end

when the ELDs came out - switched back to try hornady, they seemed better than the AMAXs i remembered, but still didnt match the bergers...shot plenty well with them a lot of times, but i could still tell i was giving up a few shots here and there

mid '19 - pretty much switched back to berger for good, all the little randomness gone, scores and impact % went up...very, very rarely am i surprised by a miss...usually i know soon as i broke it, and it was my fault
I had a similar journey and experience.
Up until about a year ago I was a Hornandy fanboy but then the 147’s started blowing up and the 180 shortly after.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Similar issues w 285 ELD in my 338 LM AI @ 3050-3170 FPS Loaded the last of them, i had sitting on my bench. Started shooting the Berger 300 OTM and its night and day at 1k... not that it was bad w the 285 but had some funky unexplained hits at times. Will be testing the Berger 300 OTM at a mile on 8/1.

Cant tell you how many times.... i have been in a debate w shooters about 100 yard groups holding at long range. Bullets can do weird things w TOF on windless days that won't show up at 100 or 300. I zero at 100 than start shooting groups at 300 before testing at longer range when working up loads. Im a fast twist, high SG fan and they have been my best shooters at 1k.

Similar issues w 285 ELD in my 338 LM AI @ 3050-3170 FPS Loaded the last of them, i had sitting on my bench. Started shooting the Berger 300 OTM and its night and day at 1k... not that it was bad w the 285 but had some funky unexplained hits at times. Will be testing the Berger 300 OTM at a mile on 8/1.

Cant tell you how many times.... i have been in a debate w shooters about 100 yard groups holding at long range. Bullets can do weird things w TOF on windless days that won't show up at 100 or 300. I zero at 100 than start shooting groups at 300 before testing at longer range when working up loads. Im a fast twist, high SG fan and they have been my best shooters at 1k.
The last box of 285’s my buddy shot were terrible.
He had a disaster of a day.

Reactions: BCX
The sad part is, i believe it was early 19 when the first reports showed up on FB 6.5 PRC forum w pics to prove what was going on. Lets say this issue is 1.5 years in the making and hasn't been resolved yet. During this time Hornady has redesigned the ELD plus came out w the A-tips but still won't admit theres a issue. I hope BERGER can keep up the surge in demand for the best cup and core missiles in the business .

They have always performed well and were cheap so I ran it for field matches/PRS/etc.

Another guy at that match was shooting 6.5 153 A-Tips and had 5 of 50 blow up . . . .

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: BCX and Mk32784