• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hornady 5.56 ammo issues

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
recently made aware of several reported (at least 1 on here) serious problems with frontier 5.56. mostly involving 55/62 gr. only used 75gr & i have used several C rounds with no issues and have about 400 left. so,am getting concerned about using it. i have a bunch of 5.56 TAP T2 and have found no problem reports about it. my simple comparisons show same weight,by look and web search same bullet,same POI in both my guns-16" not SBRs. rare blown primer reports in SBRs with 77gr IMI and anecdotal reports of it seeming "hotter" than some other 77s. anybody have anything on these issues?

If it does not have an issue in your gun, then don't worry about it. I have shot and chronoed Frontier 75, Magtech 77, and IMI 77 in a Wylde chambered bolt gun. As I recall the Frontier and IMI are running pretty toasty. And while the primers have a pretty good crater in them they have never blown.

Not sure if you are asking about this specifically but Hornady’s 5.56 NATO 75g load is on the warm side and thus may produce a bit of over pressure in some 5.56 nato/223 wylde chambers. In two of my rifles (mod H and DD M4 Block II, each with suppressors) it shoots great but the brass does have extractor marks and occasional ejector mark. Throws empty cases at 2’oclock but never stove-pipes or jams.

If the ammo you have been using has not caused any issues for you, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I had a few thousand rds of Hornady Super Performance 75 grain ammo. Over 75% blew primers. Hornady did not care at all. I was surprised they ignored the liability aspect of it.

@rth1800 wow, that’s crazy but have heard similar issues from a couple buddies that have used it in their rifles, primers literally falling out of fired cases, etc. I still have some of it but primarily shoot my clone of mk262 mod 1 nowadays. More accurate and a lot less temperamental.

Reactions: RTH1800
i know there is a tread about 55gr frontier and batch numbers to avoid, but it has been several months since I had herd of any problems with them. I’ll see if I can find the info.