• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Announces - The 6mmARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge) 308 Performance in an AR-15 Package

Jory45acp

4 Tours Green Beret Keyboard Speshuel Forces.
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2018
Utah
With so many new cartridges in the 6-6.5mm range coming out all the time this will certainly have some competition. I wonder what the expected barrel life will be. Is this the next best thing since sliced bread???? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Some just released links to write ups and videos as of today:

Hornady video release >>>

giphy.gif

I'll watch and let others experiment. Watching the 224 valk introducing itself into the ground was an interesting show.

Valk was a Federal design, not hornady.

Hornady's recent new introductions: 6.5creedmoor, 6mm creedmoor, 6.5PRC, 300PRC...

Hornady actually does new cartridge design (well...ok... copies well known wild cats) fairly well. The 6mm grendel, lbc, turbo, fat rat, grinch or whatever you want to call it isn't new and is already well proven, just has yet another name and a big company name finally making off the shelf ammo.

With so many new cartridges in the 6-6.5mm range coming out all the time this will certainly have some competition. I wonder what the expected barrel life will be. Is this the next best thing since sliced bread???? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Some just released links to write ups and videos as of today:

Hornady video release >>>

Excited to see how this performs. Low recoil and flat shooting gassers are on the uprise!

I find it interesting that he mentioned barrel life several times in the video, but didn't give a range of numbers. I get that they don't want to make any promises, but maybe they could at least they could say what they have seen with testing in their rigs.

I find it interesting that he mentioned barrel life several times in the video, but didn't give a range of numbers. I get that they don't want to make any promises, but maybe they could at least they could say what they have seen with testing in their rigs.
Doesn't barrel life boil down to the amount of powder burned and how hot the shooter lets the barrel get ? Take your "zombie" killer that can empty a 30 Rd. Mag. it 20 seconds vs a varmint shooter or someone in HP Comp. ?
I guess it took Hornady to bring the "6 Grindel " to life, although it't been around for some time; 6 AR, and several other "6 Grendel wild cats"

Reactions: Jhayesvw
After watching the video, I am left with two questions:
1. Grendel mags or will it need 6ARC specific ones?

2. I sure wish I knew what the 12” velocities were.

Some info from a Lantac release on FB. answers a few questions on velocity and mag compatibility:

Lantac LA-SF15™ 6MM ARC Chambered Rifle & Dedicated E-BCG®
Lantac is pleased to announce the release of its range of 6MM ARC chambered rifles and dedicated E-BCG®
For the past 2 years Lantac has been working closely with Hornady Manufacturing and PROOF Research undertaking testing and development of products that utilise the new 6MM ARC ammunition in a variety of bullet weights. Lantac was one of the first companies to become involved with this new caliber as part of a funded military research project and has conducted extensive evaluation and development work in that time.
Lantac’s new LA-SF15 6ARC 18’’ Rifle+1 gas system delivers 2629 FPS at muzzle with 2457FPS at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 1408 FPS at 800M (874.89 Yards). Energy is 1657 Ft-lb (2246 Joules) at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 475 Ft-lb (644 Joules) at 800M (874.89 Yards) approx.
Lantac has also developed a more compact 14.5’’ Intermediate gassed system that delivers 2483 FPS at muzzle with 2315 FPS at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 1302 FPS at 800M (874.89 Yards). Energy is 1285 Ft-lb (1742 Joules) at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 407 Ft-lb (551 Joules) at 800M (874.89 Yards) approx.
The velocity of multiple barrel lengths was tested to create a clear picture of 6ARC’s capabilities.
The Lantac LA-SF15™ 18’’ configuration comes as standard with the following specifications:
7075-T6 Alloy Forged Receiver Set, Hardcoat Anodized (Type3, Class2) to MIL-A-8625 standards.
SPADA-ML 15’’ Handguard
Proof research 18’’ Rifle+1 Carbon Fiber Barrel with 1:7.5 Twist and Target Crown.
Lantac dedicated 6ARC E-BCG®
Lantac DGN762B Dragon® Muzzle Brake (Suppressor mount options available).
Magpul MOE Grip and PRS Stock.
Magpul MBUS-Pro BUIS
Geissele G2S 4.5lb 2 Stage Trigger.
VLTOR A5 Buffer System.
17Rnd Elander Magazine. The ammunition will not function reliably with current PMAG’s
The rifle is designed to offer the softest shooting experience and features a specially designed dedicated E-BCG® bolt carrier group that works with the Rifle+1 gas system and VLTOR’s A5 Buffer to deliver extremely low recoil energy, meaning that fast, repeated hits on long range targets are much easier to achieve.
Other barrel options are available for customers not wanting to use a carbon wrapped solutio
Lantacs 6ARC E-BCG® has been specially developed to manage the gas impulse delivered from a variety of 6ARC bullet weights / powder loads that will eventually be available from Hornady (the 103Gr, 105Gr & 108Gr being the initial release), it will also function with 6.5 Grendel and is available in both Nitrided and NiB (Electroless Nickel Boron) finishes.
Lantacs E-BCG® has undergone extensive trials testing and out performs other carriers with improved gas management, reduced recoil and lug stress. A 5.56mm E-BCG® Carrier and Bolt have successfully fired over 65,000 rounds of ammunition with zero failures and the Bolt was still in complete working order after MPI and X-Ray Radiography inspection.
The E=BCG® Carrier vents gas in a completely different way to standard two and three port designs. Bothe 2 port and 3 port carriers produce a plume of potentially harmful propellant gas, by contrast the Lantac E-BCG® produces a significantly reduced plume.
Lantac also undertook extensive recoil energy testing, utilising data loggers and load cells. Many carriers were tested and compared to assist in fine tuning the 6ARC E-BCG®.

Rifles are available to order now, prices vary depending on specification, please contact us for further information.
#6mmARC #Hornady #Proofresearch #LantacDevelopmentCell #DMR

this cartridge looks interesting. I was considering building a 224V but will wait to see how this plays out over the next few weeks/months.

I see a lot of things I like about this, but as more people test it we will get a better picture if this is the real deal or not.

There were some noobs in another thread stating 6mm is hard to spot. That vid shows pretty good work, looks like he could use a smoother action.

Hoping you’re right. I guess I’ve gotten lucky I’ve got 5 Elander mags that I haven’t had any feeding issues. But I’m good with more options

I’m wondering how a necked down version will do against a vaylkrie or how this will shoot with 95’s

After watching the video, I am left with two questions:
1. Grendel mags or will it need 6ARC specific ones?

2. I sure wish I knew what the 12” velocities were.

Grendel mags

2350 w/108 factory.

Anybody know if the proof barrel is available anywhere? I see it listed on their website now.

I’m wondering how a necked down version will do against a vaylkrie or how this will shoot with 95’s
There have been 22 cal versions for almost 10years. apx 75-100fps faster than the Valkyrie. If S&B 6.8 brass is used to make Valkyrie brass there is no difference since the S&B can handle more pressure than the Hornady.
If Norma Grendel brass is used to make this ARC it will handle more pressure than the Hornady and get you another 75-100fps.

Brownells options

Linked Ammoland article indicates Brownells lists Ballistic Advantage (in stock) and Faxon (pre-order) barrels, as well as Aero Precision uppers (pre-order).

While I'm somewhat excited at the potential of the cartridge, do we really need 3+ threads on the same topic?

There have been 22 cal versions for almost 10years. apx 75-100fps faster than the Valkyrie. If S&B 6.8 brass is used to make Valkyrie brass there is no difference since the S&B can handle more pressure than the Hornady.
If Norma Grendel brass is used to make this ARC it will handle more pressure than the Hornady and get you another 75-100fps.

This is my bad for not looking too closely at the Sammy drawings and comparing it to the grendel. Have a friend with a 224 grendel he loves, but was curious if it was closer to the grendel case, or the Hagar case. Either way, I’m excited and already formulating reasons the wife/kids need one

In the Hornady video he mentions ‘micro’ actions shorter than short, I assume more closely aligned with AR15 mag length rounds. Any links on what he is talking about?

didnt knights have a PDW in a 6mm round that never came out? The knights talked about subsonic rounds. That possible with this Round?

There were some noobs in another thread stating 6mm is hard to spot. That vid shows pretty good work, looks like he could use a smoother action.
In no or little wind (less than 5mph) even .223 69gr are easy to hear at 600yds out of a 20" pipe.

Once the wind kicks up, registering the hits audibly becomes much more difficult.

(Guy who has been spotting bullets through optics regularly for the past 26 years.)

Breaking News!!!

The US Navy is testing a new 6mm cartridge that pushes a 100gr bullet 2700fps. This new round is said to match or exceed lethality and offers greatly reduced weight and recoil vs. existing .30 cal counterparts....

The year is 1895.

On a more serious note, what is new is the SAAMI introduction and Hornady's capacity to make brass, ammo, dies, and get gun makers on board. Hate on the marketing all you want, but it just means more people see it, more people buy it, and it becomes more available for everyone.

Breaking News!!!

The US Navy is testing a new 6mm cartridge that pushes a 100gr bullet 2700fps. This new round is said to match or exceed lethality and offers greatly reduced weight and recoil vs. existing .30 cal counterparts....

The year is 1895.

On a more serious note, what is new is the SAAMI introduction and Hornady's capacity to make brass, ammo, dies, and get gun makers on board. Hate on the marketing all you want, but it just means more people see it, more people buy it, and it becomes more available for everyone.
Who's hating
Just saying
It's not new as the marketing implies
Im shopping for a barrel
Now!

So this is a different bolt then a Valkyrie correct?

For AR-15's yes. I know Bighorn Valkyrie/SPC bolt heads will work with the ARC, though. I want to say something like .420" vs. .440" case head diameter.

For AR-15's yes. I know Bighorn Valkyrie/SPC bolt heads will work with the ARC, though. I want to say something like .420" vs. .440" case head diameter.

Hmm. I don't see how Valk/SPC bolt heads would work with 6ARC considering how much bigger the case head diameter on ARC is.

I was literally right about to scrap my starter 6.5G and build a very high end one with all the best parts. Now I sort of want to swap to this 6 ARC. It could be fun to wide the new cartridge wave. It could end poorly but I could use a new project and I like the concept of this.

I'd also consider just going with Lantac or Berrett since those rifles look great but of course they don't list weight. I will never understand companies that don't give you the key information.

Hmm. I don't see how Valk/SPC bolt heads would work with 6ARC considering how much bigger the case head diameter on ARC is.

I'll double check on Monday but I'm almost certain the Bighorn I'm aware of was using a Valkyrie bolt head. I have been wrong before, though.

ETA: looking at Bighorn's website it looks like when you order, there's a "PPC/Valkyrie/SPC" bolt head and you specify in the notes. Could be that it's a PPC head that's marked "valkyrie".

Much as I like all this "new improved" stuff, just can't see getting into it. I was looking hard at the Grendel, but the inexpensive ammo dried up and not taking food out of the families mouth to shoot I can't see changing from .308 or x54 at this time when I have so much already. Will have to wait and see what shakes out...

Hunting at extended ranges? ... No not if 1000ft pounds is the standard. Just another 300 yard pig or whitetail cartridge only with a lighter, smaller diameter bullet than a 6.8 spc2 or a 6.5 grendel.
I'm interested in this 6mm because my 224 Valkyre is too finiky to load for. Hopefully this cartridge will be more straight foward like my 6.8spc2, just load and go for moa fun.
But 308 performance? Not for killin stuff.

Last edited:
I am thinking of trying this out as well and ditching the Valkyrie. I like the idea of a little heavier bullet than the 224 loadings.

Will we see a 6mm arc arp barrel in the future?
No, not anytime soon. Right now with this panic buying going on we can't fill all of the orders for the 5.56 and 6.8 fast enough so I can't fill a production slot with the ARC. If we have a late summer slow down I may be able to work them in but it would be mid fall or later before they would be finished. A larger problem is bolts, I shut all of my CNCs that made bolts down so I would have to buy Grendel bolts from someone and I don't trust many.