• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Weather Meter 4 DOF Official Support Thread

Any word on upgrading to an Elite? Or at least a path to more than 3 profiles and range cards.
Thanks.

We are looking into why this is happening. Can anyone with issues not getting prompted for fw update let me know:
Current FW Version
Current Hardware Version (HW)
BOOT version
BLE

These can be found in the Kestrel under Main Menu->About->Version
Thanks.
Thanks much for responding.

In the About / Version menu, I found the items listed:

For my unit:
FW 1.28.
HW Rev 11B
Boot 1.01
BLE 0.06

Late edit for additional data.
Hope those pieces of the puzzle help.

Last edited:
We are aware of issues with the Android and iOS app having issues with getting prompted for new firmware or not finding devices. We believe this is being caused by a server issue on our end and are looking into it, since the app has not been updated for a while. Please do not uninstall the app if it is working currently as this may cause it to break. But we will try and fix all these issues as soon as we can.

If your Android app is not finding devices, you can try toggling Settings->App/App Permissions and making sure Storage is set to ON/Enabled.

Reactions: category_theory
If any Hornady users see that there is a firmware update to 1.39 and go through the process and it only goes to 1.37...that is intentional. The 1.39 changes did not affect Kestrel 4DOF units so we didn't push it out to them as it was an unnecessary update for them. However the wording on the app may be confusing.

I appreciate the firmware update clarification. Very satisfied with the Kestrel 4DOF meter.

I have a question, more out of curiosity than anything:

The 4DOF Kestrel has a few range finders that will connect to it. On the Kestrel site it says if you have a BT enabled LRF, contact the manufacturer and ask them to enable the Kestrel protocol. Kestrel lists Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com, Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com, and Leica Geoid 3200.com, Vectronix Terrapin X and PLRF 25-C, and Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX as LRF that communicate with the 4DOF Kestrel, but the non-4DOF version can communicate with additional units, like the Sig 3000BDX. I'm assuming the 3000BDX has the Kestrel bluetooth protocol, so why won't it connect to the 4DOF?

I have a question, more out of curiosity than anything:

The 4DOF Kestrel has a few range finders that will connect to it. On the Kestrel site it says if you have a BT enabled LRF, contact the manufacturer and ask them to enable the Kestrel protocol. Kestrel lists Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com, Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com, and Leica Geoid 3200.com, Vectronix Terrapin X and PLRF 25-C, and Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX as LRF that communicate with the 4DOF Kestrel, but the non-4DOF version can communicate with additional units, like the Sig 3000BDX. I'm assuming the 3000BDX has the Kestrel bluetooth protocol, so why won't it connect to the 4DOF?

The assumption that they are using Kestrel protocol is not correct. They are using a different protocol that our 4DOF units cannot use. Therefore the LRF manufacturers would need to adapt their units to use Kestrel Protocol in order to connect with our 4DOF units.

The assumption that they are using Kestrel protocol is not correct. They are using a different protocol that our 4DOF units cannot use. Therefore the LRF manufacturers would need to adapt their units to use Kestrel Protocol in order to connect with our 4DOF units.

Gotcha. Like I said, more out of curiosity. I was just curious why the 5700 Elite can support the same range finders as the 4DOF, but certain range finders that are supported by the Elite won't work with the 4DOF.

When will you guys add the 300gr hornady atip?
Hornady has to add the bullets to the 4DOF library. You can go to their website and put in a request for it. Being as it's one of Hornady's
bullets, I'm sure they will add it at some point

I am wondering if there is any way to get my Hornady Kestrel to indicate the number of "clicks" instead of just MOA?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the estimated continual run time is for the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF? I use Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries and the power seems to run down pretty fast. Thanks.

@Kestrel Ballistics Im using the 4dof Kestrel along with the weather vane, and the hornady 4dof app. I prefer the ease of the user interphase of the hornady app when doing Long range elr shots. Especially when it comes to setting the shooting angel and the shooting direction.
Any disadvantages to linking my kestrel 4dof to my4dof app on my phone so it is giving me all my environmental? To utlizine the weather vane and wind direction would I first set the direction of fire on th kestrel and then set it up on the vane? Just a bit confused on how all that would work because when the kestrel is linked it fill out wind direction etc in the iphone app.
Unfortuently there is not any information I could find online on how to use the phone app and the 4dof kestrel together.

To use the wind vane:
1 link the app and Kestrel
2 set environment to live
3 acquire DOF and enter distance
4 Acquire wind dof and speed, but do not press acquired button the second time to stop acquisition, it will remain in the acquisition mode and can be mounted to the wind vane. Be sure your Display Auto shutoff has been turned to off so it doesn't go to sleep on the vane.

To use the wind vane:
1 link the app and Kestrel
2 set environment to live
3 acquire DOF and enter distance
4 Acquire wind dof and speed, but do not press acquired button the second time to stop acquisition, it will remain in the acquisition mode and can be mounted to the wind vane. Be sure your Display Auto shutoff has been turned to off so it doesn't go to sleep on the vane.
I am reffering to linking the 4dof kestel with the HORNADY 4dof phone APP (Not the kestrel app). Is that what you are referring to?

Such a pain in the ass for sure. like I have three different loads for one rifle.... Its such a pain in the ass.

I'm really torn, I got this 4DOF with the Leupold Scope promotion, I have been messing around with the app and I *REALLY* like the 4DOF concept, but like you, I have have several rifles I want to use this with, sometimes on the same trip and have different loads with them. in a 4 hundred dollar device, I can't imaging memory is a limitation at all. I should be able to get 100 profiles into about 5 dollars worth of memory chip without worrying about it.

I may wind up selling this and getting an elite, but then I am back to the AB solver and not the 4DOF. I wish they'd just unlock it. I also wish this one would do the range card function. That's sort of a PITA too

You can write more than three profiles in the Kestrel app, but can only load three at a time. Probably in the design to keep cost down.
If you want more than 3 profiles, buy a 5700 Elite or a 5700X

I'm really torn, I got this 4DOF with the Leupold Scope promotion, I have been messing around with the app and I *REALLY* like the 4DOF concept, but like you, I have have several rifles I want to use this with, sometimes on the same trip and have different loads with them. in a 4 hundred dollar device, I can't imaging memory is a limitation at all. I should be able to get 100 profiles into about 5 dollars worth of memory chip without worrying about it.

I may wind up selling this and getting an elite, but then I am back to the AB solver and not the 4DOF. I wish they'd just unlock it. I also wish this one would do the range card function. That's sort of a PITA too
So what I have been doing is still using the app, think just synccing it up with my kestrel for all the environmentals.

So i just bought the regular 5700. If im using the hornady app can I transfer the wind data and all that to the app?

@Kestrel Ballistics

With the latest update, my Leica 2800.com (also latest firmware) does not update the Kestrel's range/display a firing solution on the Leica. The Leica is in 'Lat' mode, and the Kestrel 4DOF does show it 'connected'. When I range something, many times the bluetooth icon will disappear on the Leica and it will just display the range. If I power cycle either one, it'll connect back up, but I never get any ballistic data back on the Leica, and the Kestrel never updates the distance/etc. I've tried new batteries in both (which obviously power cycled them) and have just double checked to make sure I'm on the latest firmware for both.

What do you estimate the distance was between the Kestrel and the 2800.com?

I can have them touching and it makes no difference (I've tried). I think I've found the problem, though. If I range something < 25Y, it does not work. > 25Y seems to be working (aside from aforementioned distance-between-device issues, which is unfortunate). I was testing around the house, so all measurements were below 25Y. This seems like a bug, however unlikely it is that you might try to range for ballistics at these short distances.

I'm sure a LOT of people test this out around the house, and it may be leading to some serious confusion/concern about the reliability. I went outdoors, and was able to range 30Y (and greater) with no issue and get ballistic correction values back/the Kestrel updated with the measured values.

Can you reproduce this behavior? Hopefully an easy fix!

[Edit: I tried to manually set a distance below 25Y on the Kestrel and it will not allow it. This definitely seems to be the issue. It causes the Leica to 'freak out' a bit, I suspect because it's expecting return data. Is there any reason for this restriction other than the unlikely need to range at < 25Y? If not, hopefully it's an easy fix.]

Last edited:
You can write more than three profiles in the Kestrel app, but can only load three at a time. Probably in the design to keep cost down.
If you want more than 3 profiles, buy a 5700 Elite or a 5700X

The problem with this - we can't buy an Elite/X with 4DOF. Memory of the size we're talking about is cheap, I would be surprised if it's actually a HW limitation on these; surely it's software limited at this point. I would hope we could pay for an upgrade to unlock more profiles, because it is irritating.

Reactions: kindabitey
I can have them touching and it makes no difference (I've tried). I think I've found the problem, though. If I range something < 25Y, it does not work. > 25Y seems to be working (aside from aforementioned distance-between-device issues, which is unfortunate). I was testing around the house, so all measurements were below 25Y. This seems like a bug, however unlikely it is that you might try to range for ballistics at these short distances.

I'm sure a LOT of people test this out around the house, and it may be leading to some serious confusion/concern about the reliability. I went outdoors, and was able to range 30Y (and greater) with no issue and get ballistic correction values back/the Kestrel updated with the measured values.

Can you reproduce this behavior? Hopefully an easy fix!

[Edit: I tried to manually set a distance below 25Y on the Kestrel and it will not allow it. This definitely seems to be the issue. It causes the Leica to 'freak out' a bit, I suspect because it's expecting return data. Is there any reason for this restriction other than the unlikely need to range at < 25Y? If not, hopefully it's an easy fix.]
Yes, the Kestrel will not work with a short range. I think it is set for 30 yds.

Yes, the Kestrel will not work with a short range. I think it is set for 30 yds.

Do you think this can be changed? There's a lot of people returning connected rangefinders that "aren't working properly" when they try to test them at their homes - when in fact, they are fine. I'm not sure if there's a reason for the 25Y lower limit; it will definitely throw people off when the rangefinders behave strangely.

Don't know if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I have the 5700 Hornady version. I have read the manual, watched YouTube videos and can't seem to find my answer. When I want to calculate wind speed, I don't know if the correct procedure is to hit the little "Capture" button on the device or hit the "Capture" icon on the screen when prompted. The later seems to work but then I can't figure out why you have added a physical button??