• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady Lock-n-load powder dispenser and varget

turbohardtop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Austin, TX
I was wondering if anyone is using the Hornady lock-n-load AP to load rifle rounds with varget. If so, what kind of consistency have you been able to produce with the powder dispenser? Also, if there are any tips to make it dispense more consistent please share it. Thanks.

Re: Hornady Lock-n-load powder dispenser and varget

I have never had luck with Varget in mine. I get +/- 0.2g usually which is unacceptable to me.

about the same for me. +/- .2g, any extruded powders I have a lyman DPS1500 I do a quick throw with that and trickle the rest on my dillon beam scale.

A friend of mine switched from Varget to IMR 8082 XBR so that he could load .308 with his AP press. Varget doesn't meter well, but 8082 does. He got the same group size with 8082 as he had with Varget, and loads we spot checked with his beam scale were always within 1/10 grain.

any long kernel extruded powder will do the same. The powder measure brand doesnt matter, it's the style of dispenser for the larger kernels that is at issue.

I had the same problem with varget in LNL. I was getting .2 just like everyone else. But with the .2gr variance I was hitting a 16" target at 1123yds very consisten. So I guess it depends on what you want out of it. I recently compared charges from my hornady lnl and from my chargemaster. I found my loads from the chargemaster were more consistent while shooting. So all my exturded powder loads are gonna be dispensed from the chargemaster and my other loads will go through the LNL.

I load tons of Varget through my LNL for 223. I get acceptable accuracy with it. No complaints.