• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Hornady OAL gauge question

ebaas

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2018
I’m starting to look at squeezing more accuracy out of my 280AI through handloading. I’ve seen videos of a Hornady OAL Gauge using a once fired case that has been drilled/tapped out of a specific rifle rather than using a Hornady “Modified” case they sell for the gauge.

I have the gauge and modified 280AI case from Hornady, but now wondering if it’s worth spending the time to have a case drilled & tapped. Seems like the appropriate method, and simple enough of a job.

Thanks for any input.

How are you guys expanding the neck? I have 2 lapua cases drilled and tapped and I even split the neck all the way to the shoulder but the bullet is still tight.

Thanks for the offer Praeger, I may take you up on that.

Also, I’m assuming I should trim the case to length prior to doing the base to ogive test?
Achalmersman brings up a good question, I think the Hornady made modified case has a bigger ID for ease of bullet movement.

Thanks for the offer Praeger, I may take you up on that.

Also, I’m assuming I should trim the case to length prior to doing the base to ogive test?
Achalmersman brings up a good question, I think the Hornady made modified case has a bigger ID for ease of bullet movement.
How tight is the neck of your once fired case? You can easily open up a tight neck with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel. Chuck the dowel into a drill and gently remove just enough material from the ID of the neck to allow the bullet to move with pressure, but not fall through.

Reactions: phlegethon
I have the stock modified case and had one d and t'd for my RPR and Bergara Ridge. The difference between was negligible. But you just don't know til you compare.

Add me to the camp that just buys 'em. A mini-lathe I use for some case work is perfect for making one, but I've never liked the way the necks came out. I suppose, it would need to be sized with an appropriate size expander ball. Again, could easily be turned on the lathe but for me it's easier to just order them.

Leave the neck on the fired case as is and wrap a piece of emory cloth around a drill bit and run it inside the neck until you have the right tension for a bullet to slip in.

The Hornady tool with give you a relative measurement that you can use for comparison, but a better process is to measure a fired case using the RCBS Precision Mic than use that to measure headspace and then use that to determine how far you bump the shoulder. That removes the variable of difference in bullets.