• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady on tuners.

what is "considerably" if you had to put a number on it...like avg group size before vs the improved

im really asking, because if i found a tuner improved what i have without a tuner considerably, id be in winning benchrest rifle territory with a bipod and rear bag (which i dont really believe would be realistic)...ive considered my rifles i tested were mostly maxed out (if you want to put it that way) and they werent bad enough to see a large improvement to beging with or i wasnt good enough to see a tiny one in the positive direction
Don't forget to let us know how many shots were in that group. One answer could mean something and the other completely statistically irrelevant

Reactions: Tokay444
Erik Cortina.....watch his videos about chasing the lands! The Ultimate Reloader.....any of his reloading videos....! Have you ever heard of YouTube....?🤣
Is there another tuner manufacturer that shares the same opinion of how a tuner works and is supposed to be setup, as Erik? The Ultimate Reloader is a paid shill. I won't patronize him with any views. Yes.

I think I’m going to try to start a thread even better than this one.

The central question can be: from a load development and reloading perspective, does anything have an affect on accuracy other than velocity consistency and projectile consistency.

Is there another tuner manufacturer that shares the same opinion of how a tuner works and is supposed to be setup, as Erik? The Ultimate Reloader is a paid shill. I won't patronize him with any views. Yes.
I think that the Ezell tuner guy has a little different approach to his testing method, but I don't really search and seek everyone's products myself. I'm sure they all function in a similar manner, they might just try to explain it in a different way to make people think their product stands apart from someone else's. Erik has mentioned in a lot of his podcasts that just because someone like Speedy, or another top shooter tells him something, he still wants to do his own testing and verify what his results are. Not that he thinks they might try to mislead him, but just to verify his results with his rifle. That's one reason I made my own tuner, I just was curious and wanted to see what my results were. At the end of the day, your results are really all that matters.
As far as the Ultimate Reloader, yeah I agree with you he seems to benefit substantially from his promotion of products. I think some of his testing could be a little more in depth also.

I think that the Ezell tuner guy has a little different approach to his testing method, but I don't really search and seek everyone's products myself. I'm sure they all function in a similar manner, they might just try to explain it in a different way to make people think their product stands apart from someone else's. Erik has mentioned in a lot of his podcasts that just because someone like Speedy, or another top shooter tells him something, he still wants to do his own testing and verify what his results are. Not that he thinks they might try to mislead him, but just to verify his results with his rifle. That's one reason I made my own tuner, I just was curious and wanted to see what my results were. At the end of the day, your results are really all that matters.
As far as the Ultimate Reloader, yeah I agree with you he seems to benefit substantially from his promotion of products. I think some of his testing could be a little more in depth also.
No. That's the problem. None of them can come to a consensus on how they work, how to use them, or what the requirements are for rifle/ammo/shooter to be able to see a benefit from one.

Reactions: Barelstroker

The central question can be: from a load development and reloading perspective, does anything have an affect on accuracy other than velocity consistency and projectile consistency.

Yes. In fact I would say velocity consistency is less directly linked to dispersion than a long list of other things.

A start to a short, completely non-inclusive list,

Bore and groove diameter consistency
Bore and groove diameter ratios
Bore and groove area ratios
Bore straightness
Bore/OD concentricity
Throat geometry, especially combined with bullet seating
Case clearance/chamber geometry
Bullet/groove diameter relationship
Bullet rigidity
Powder type
- A muddy mess of discussion on pressure vs. time or pressure vs. distance curves
Muzzle device
- Tuners? suppressors? Mass? Gas flow?
Rifle weight
Bedding
Barrel profile, material, heat treat
Primer type
Primer seating (to a much more limited effect than most people think, but it can still cause problems)
Neck tension value
Neck tension consistency
Case fill %

It's a randomized mess of so many variables anyone that claims to boil it down to single variable solutions is immediately suspect to me. I will tell you the heavy hitters assuming everything else is up to snuff are "component tetris" between the barrel, bullet, and powder, but the other things can all screw you if you do them wrong enough.

velocity will show at distance, but close range its not much of a factor at all...ive shot a lot tiny groups @ 100 with varied powder charges that had huge ES/SD in velocity

Post #228 shows rounds fired with velocity spreads of 100+ fps at 100 yds from a couple different rifles as an example of how much it can not matter up close

Reactions: kthomas
velocity will show at distance, but close range its not much of a factor at all...ive shot a lot tiny groups @ 100 with varied powder charges that had huge ES/SD in velocity

Post #228 shows rounds fired with velocity spreads of 100+ fps at 100 yds from a couple different rifles as an example of how much it can not matter up close

That begs the question, what are we attempting to achieve in the reloading room? What measuring tools do we have available to measure our success or failure at achieving these metrics?

If we are not going to let the labradar or other chronograph pick the best performing load? What is happening at 100 yards where group dispersion is either more or less than what the velocity dispersion would predict the group dispersion would be?

Most people don’t have equipment that is accurate to less than .002”, yet think they can measure to .0005” because their digital readout displays in half thou increments. Then think they can measure seating depth in .003” increments and that it makes a difference.

That begs the question, what are we attempting to achieve in the reloading room? What measuring tools do we have available to measure our success or failure at achieving these metrics?
Irrelevant to the tuner thread.

What is happening at 100 yards where group dispersion is either more or less than what the velocity dispersion would predict the group dispersion would be?
There's more than just velocity affecting where a bullet will land. Stop trying to make a gotchya argument. I'm sure people would love to jump into your fresh new positive compensation thread.

Irrelevant to the tuner thread.

There's more than just velocity affecting where a bullet will land. Stop trying to make a gotchya argument. I'm sure people would love to jump into your fresh new positive compensation thread.
Point well taken.

The point I was trying to make is it seems like the one thing the entire reloading community can agree on is minimizing velocity dispersion is a goal.

We have decently accurate tools for measuring velocity.

It seems like the first order of business would be testing whether a tuner has an effect on velocity dispersion.

Point well taken.

The point I was trying to make is it seems like the one thing the entire reloading community can agree on is minimizing velocity dispersion is a goal.

We have decently accurate tools for measuring velocity.

It seems like the first order of business would be testing whether a tuner has an effect on velocity dispersion.

Depends on what forums and people you ask. There's many who don't agree on this either. They shoot ladder tests at distance an either don't pay attention or don't even us a chronograph for load development.

If you mean velocity dispersion as SD, and ES of velocity - I don't think it does. For example, my last tuner test average MV/ES/SD* for the "worst" tuner setting was 2832/25/6.6 vs 2839/25/6.8 for the "best" setting (24 valid LR tracks on each). While the averages are 7 fps different, the spreads and SDs are near identical.

I'm not sure how one would test a tuner to find the "best" and "worst" settings for velocity without burning a lot of ammo just to find out your SD*'s are just higher than you'd like.

If you meant dispersion due to velocity, as in positive compensation or some other similar notion - In my testing, I haven't seen a tuner make any difference to vertical dispersion due to tuner setting.

*That's STDEV.S 😉

ETA: As to first order of business - Most claims made wrt tuners are about group size or rifle tune (as measured by group size), so that kinda steers the conversation.

There’s people here, who have no tangible product to sell, that have said out loud they, “possess the technology” to tune out a velocity spread of 200ft/s, and can’t believe that no one is beating down their door for it.

There’s people here, who have no tangible product to sell, that have said out loud they, “possess the technology” to tune out a velocity spread of 200ft/s, and can’t believe that no one is beating down their door for it.
We all know I’ve asked several of them to tune a rifle I send them.

I’ll give them my AXMC and have them get me squared away.

I’ll have another prefit and shoot them side by side with same ammo

Best case, they work and it shoots great.

Worst case it doesn’t do that much and they made some money and I have 2 barrels to shoot out.

Still no takers from legitimate tuner people

I don't suppose you have that notebook somewhere shareable?

As an aside... if anyone is into using R, there is a package called 'shotgroups' that can do some pretty interesting number crunching / visualization.
As promised. Zipped because I can't attach ipynb files -_-

Attachments

• Group Accuracy.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: memilanuk
As promised. Zipped because I can't attach ipynb files -_-

Cool. Been a little bit since I dabbled in Python, since R has more packages I'm interested in... but I vastly prefer the syntax of Python.

FWIW... if you ever get feeling ambitious and put it on github, let me know!

Yes. In fact I would say velocity consistency is less directly linked to dispersion than a long list of other things.

A start to a short, completely non-inclusive list,

Bore and groove diameter consistency
Bore and groove diameter ratios
Bore and groove area ratios
Bore straightness
Bore/OD concentricity
Throat geometry, especially combined with bullet seating
Case clearance/chamber geometry
Bullet/groove diameter relationship
Bullet rigidity
Powder type
- A muddy mess of discussion on pressure vs. time or pressure vs. distance curves
Muzzle device
- Tuners? suppressors? Mass? Gas flow?
Rifle weight
Bedding
Barrel profile, material, heat treat
Primer type
Primer seating (to a much more limited effect than most people think, but it can still cause problems)
Neck tension value
Neck tension consistency
Case fill %

It's a randomized mess of so many variables anyone that claims to boil it down to single variable solutions is immediately suspect to me. I will tell you the heavy hitters assuming everything else is up to snuff are "component tetris" between the barrel, bullet, and powder, but the other things can all screw you if you do them wrong enough.
This is ripe for correlation matricies. If we wanted to see how much each of these variables affects group size, we should get tons of data and correlate all this together. A correlation matrix will tell you not just which variables impact dispersion more, but also by how much. The more data you have, the more accurate the matrix. I started compiling data to do just this late last year, but then winter came and it hasn't really risen about 20 here on the weekends. I'm super curious, but man it takes awhile to get a lot of data.

Cool. Been a little bit since I dabbled in Python, since R has more packages I'm interested in... but I vastly prefer the syntax of Python.

FWIW... if you ever get feeling ambitious and put it on github, let me know!
I definitely will! I have a couple other notebooks I have, I'll have to put some more polish in them and fix some issues (like that moa thing earlier) then I can put them up and share.

Reactions: Taylorbok
This is ripe for correlation matricies. If we wanted to see how much each of these variables affects group size, we should get tons of data and correlate all this together. A correlation matrix will tell you not just which variables impact dispersion more, but also by how much. The more data you have, the more accurate the matrix. I started compiling data to do just this late last year, but then winter came and it hasn't really risen about 20 here on the weekends. I'm super curious, but man it takes awhile to get a lot of data.
Correlation matrix won’t show non-additive effects. This topic is a conditional multidimensional problem.

Tuners work and I use the ezell . You guys claim no one could test them enough to work yet all the top shooters in f class and benchrest use one?? How is that possible?

View attachment 8348695
Check my math. 1 MOA = 1.045 in @ 100 yd.

So, at 600 yds, 1 MOA= 6.27 in. and 6.3 > 6.27.

6.3/6.2 =1.005 MOA.

Probably not noticable. So, the tuner made it a 1 MOA gun (or do we want to consider the .005, as well, since minute details matter)?

Check my math. 1 MOA = 1.045 in @ 100 yd.

So, at 600 yds, 1 MOA= 6.27 in. and 6.3 > 6.27.

6.3/6.2 =1.005 MOA.

Probably not noticable. So, the tuner made it a 1 MOA gun (or do we want to consider the .005, as well, since minute details matter)?

I’d love to know where you’re going with this….. I hope it includes you showing us targets at distance.

Waiting for the “muh savage 110 shoots 1/4 moa at 100 yards post”…..

Last edited:
I’d love to know where you’re going with this….. I hope it includes you showing us targets at distance.

Waiting for the “muh savage 110 shoots 1/4 moa at 100 yards post”…..
You misunderstand me. Those are not my targets. I was asking about the math. Or has someone changed the definition of 1 MOA = 1.045 inches?

And no, I do not have a 110 shooting 1/4 MOA nor was I implying anything other than questioning the effect of the tuner.

And that is why I said to check my math.

Did I make a mistake with the math? If so, what was my mistake?

You misunderstand me. Those are not my targets. I was asking about the math. Or has someone changed the definition of 1 MOA = 1.045 inches?

And no, I do not have a 110 shooting 1/4 MOA nor was I implying anything other than questioning the effect of the tuner.

Yep. Gun barely shoots moa.

It actually shoots 2moa at 100 yards but I’m using bullets with convergence so it shoots better at 600 yards.

It actually shoots 2moa at 100 yards but I’m using bullets with convergence so it shoots better at 600 yards.
To be clear, you’re saying that adjusting your tuner makes your rifle a 2MOA at 100 gun but a 1MOA gun at 600?

What protocol are you using to test/adjust your tuner?

This is a claim that has been repeated multiple times here by tuner advocates.

It would be interesting to see what a gun tuned like this looks like when shooting over radar.

Is this gun less accurate at any range other than 600y in the above case. Seems it is only useful if the shooter is shooting at a fixed known distance.

How would this benefit a PRS or practical shooter that may have ten 1.5 MOA targets at 10 different ranges from 300y to 1200y?

If you want to be technical and exact as possible, 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.047"....

Reactions: Ronws
This is a claim that has been repeated multiple times here by tuner advocates.

It would be interesting to see what a gun tuned like this looks like when shooting over radar.

Is this gun less accurate at any range other than 600y in the above case. Seems it is only useful if the shooter is shooting at a fixed known distance.

How would this benefit a PRS or practical shooter that may have ten 1.5 MOA targets at 10 different ranges from 300y to 1200y?
that's not how ballistics work. I was messing with the guy for wanting to have a math class (and messing up the constant) - bullets with convergence?

the gun shoots exactly how you would expect at 100 yards, but I don't shoot Benchrest, so I don't spend much time at the 200-yard line, more or less the 100 picking apart 1/4 moa groups.

that's not how ballistics work. I was messing with the guy for wanting to have a math class (and messing up the constant) - bullets with convergence?

the gun shoots exactly how you would expect at 100 yards, but I don't shoot Benchrest, so I don't spend much time at the 200-yard line, more or less the 100 picking apart 1/4 moa groups.
There are guys that make that exact claim.

The only difference is they call it “Positive Compensation” instead of convergence.

IMG_2780.jpeg

“bullet convergence”

What a concept

What could explain how bullet convergence works?

Once the bullet leaves the barrel, it seems like the consistency of the projectiles themselves and the consistency of the muzzle velocities would be the primary factors

Now before the bullet leaves the barrel?

Is what “bullet convergence” is referring to the angle of the barrel at the time the bullet exits?

“bullet convergence”

What a concept

Once the bullet leaves the barrel, it seems like the consistency of the projectiles themselves and the consistency of the muzzle velocities would be the primary factors

Is what “bullet convergence” is referring to the angle of the barrel at the time the bullet exits?
@timintx "has the technology".

“bullet convergence”

What a concept

Yes , a slower bullet is aimed higher by the barrel , and a faster bullet is aimed lower by the barrel. Meaning the barrel has a upward lateral velocity at the time of exit .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
Yes , a slower bullet is aimed higher by the barrel , and a faster bullet is aimed lower by the barrel. Meaning the barrel has an upward lateral velocity at the time of exit .
Is there a way to “tune” the rifle such that the opposite would be true or does what you described always happen for you?

Is there a way to “tune” the rifle such that the opposite would be true or does what you described always happen for you?

The effect of the barrel moving downward is quite common on most every rifle and will cause exaggerated vertical dispersion so that it’s even with small ES the dispersion is large. To get the barrel moving up takes specialized weighting and offsets at least for a wide window .

It’s quite common, until you’re actually observing for it. Then it doesn’t happen. Like the double slit experiment.