• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Hot or Not? Post your tube specs and vote here!

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Posting PROTOCOL:

Source:
    Price Paid:
    NOD Model: (PVS-14, 27, RNVG, etc)
    Tube MFG/Model/Part:
    Sensitivity:
    Halo:
    EBI:
    SN:
    Resolution:
    FOM:

Feel free to include more tube or housing specs. For the uninitiated, do NOT post a full photo of your spec sheet... because... ITAR.

I figure a thread like this might gain some legs. Just scarfed-up a brand new PVS-14 from the PX — although I needed another 14 like I need higher cholesterol.

Original vendor was: TRYBE.

Elbit Thin Filmed F9415XLSH WP
    Sensitivity: 2438
    Halo: .61 (y)
    EBI: 1.86 🤔
    2x10-6 fc (K): 69,826
    SN: 39.3 o_O
    RES: 72 (y)
    FOM: 2829.6 🤩

Price Paid: $3,100.

Last edited:
    I was always curious about the specs on these do-hickys...had wanted to post the spec sheet some time ago but never got around to it, then discovered it was a no no to post due to some reg crap...here's what I have. It works quite well, but really have nothing or any other PVS to compare it against. I would appreciate honest opinions and if there is anything I can or should do to improve performance if needed.

Configuration: unfilmed image tube with gated power supply 11769 style
    Sensitivity: 2390 actual
    Halo: 0.8 actual
    EBI: 1.1 actual
    2X10-6 fc: 64251 actual
    S/N: 33.0 actual
    Res: 64 actual (center)
    FOM: no fucking idea where that is on this sheet...

Price paid: a little less than than the first post, and included a helmet and all the giblets to hit the ground running. Not boasting about anything because for all I know it may have been a good deal or not. Thanks as always members.

Doug

Configuration: unfilmed image tube with gated power supply 11769 style
    Sensitivity: 2390 actual
    Halo: 0.8 actual
    EBI: 1.1 actual
    2X10-6 fc: 64251 actual
    S/N: 33.0 actual
    Res: 64 actual (center)
    FOM: no fucking idea where that is on this sheet...

FOM = SN*RES

FOM=2112, in your case. Solid specs for the price you paid. Sounds like you have an L3 WP tube.

Very nice XLSH, @TheHorta - which vendor originally built/sourced that? Assumed you got it second-hand if it was through the PX.

Here's what I posted in a similar thread over on Arfcom here - https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/New-night-vision-specs-wait-time-vendor-and-review/18-512073/

Feb 2014 - PVS-14
    1. Vendor: TNVC
    2. Quoted wait time vs actual wait time: 4wks / 5wks (paid on order)
    3. Specs on tubes: ordered ITT Pinnacle GP, don’t remember specifics but was happy with the tube for my first one.
    4. Overall impression of said vendor: Ordered at wholesale while working part-time at a gun shop. Jaimie was easy to work with over email. Misc products being out of stock without status shown on the website was a bit frustrating. Didn’t end up stocking anything or doing many orders for our customers through them - ended up being easier to just pass them along to work with TNVC directly.

Sep 2016 - MOD-3b binos (dovetail, manual gain)
    1. Vendor: Nightlong Industries (closed)
    2. Quoted wait time vs actual wait time: built/delivered in 4wk (didn’t pay until they shipped)
    3. Specs on tubes: OMNI 6 L3, no sheets
    4. Overall impression of said vendor: Worked mostly via FB messenger, had confidence in his builds from online reputation and his background as a heavy end-user on the aviation side. Was very happy with binos and follow-up Q&A he provided whenever I needed. Had a shoot/event pop up before the build was done and Ryan shipped me some of his personal binos to use for the event. They were the red/green phos christmas-vision binos - not something you run into very often. Very pleased with how he treated me.

Jul 2018 - AN/AVS-10 + PVS-14
    1. Vendor: Denali Vision / Adams Industries (closed?)
    2. Quoted wait time vs actual wait time: delivered in 3wk (paid on order)
    3. Specs on tubes: mil surplus aviation panos and very clean Photonis Echo
    ebi: .3
    s:n: 28.96
    res: 64
    halo: .64
    fom: 1853
    4. Overall impression of said vendor: Purchase went smoothly via online invoice/payment, but this was right when things seemed to be falling apart over there. Heard bad things from others that had money tied up, but my NVGs arrived fine. Was very happy with the panos while I owned them - no I didn’t break them. Ended up selling through another dealer last year.

Sep 2019 - MOD-3b binos (ball/detent, manual gain)
    1. Vendor: Steele Industries
    2. Quoted wait time vs actual wait time: 2wk / 3wk (paid on order)
    3. Specs on tubes: L3 UF WP 20ua
    pc sens: 2459/2409
    ebi: .8/.5
    s:n: 34.3/31.7
    res: 72/72
    halo: .7/.7
    fom: 2470/2282
    Very happy with super clean/zero blem tubes that I use often for photography.
    4. Overall impression of said vendor: Had a few phone calls and sale/build went very smoothly. They understood my request for clean tubes with no chickenwire/etc. Were able to source manual-gain housing with ball-detent mount like I wanted. Shipping could have been in a nicer case - was a pretty simple bubble-wrapped package inside a plain cardboard box. I’ve always felt like a $8-10k purchase should probably come with some more goodies like even a knockoff pelican case or something. I was in the area down in FL on a biz trip and I visited the Steele team. Excited to see them open a retail location soon, as it’s been tough to see “behind-the-curtain” of most NVG outfits to get a sense of how they do their build processes, etc. Was neat to see the build and collimation process in person.

Posting PROTOCOL:

Source:
    Price Paid:
    Tube MFG/Model/Part:
    Sensitivity:
    Halo:
    EBI:
    SN:
    Resolution:
    FOM:

Feel free to include more tube or housing specs. For the uninitiated, do NOT post a full photo of your spec sheet... because... ITAR.

I figure a thread like this might gain some legs. Just scarfed-up a brand new PVS-14 from the PX — although I needed another 14 like I need higher cholesterol.

EBI: 1.86 :cry:

Those "gamble for your money" tubes suck I tell ya! Is yours autogated? :ROFLMAO: I would not worry about the EBI too much...

Those "gamble for your money" tubes suck I tell ya! Is yours autogated? :ROFLMAO: I would not worry about the EBI too much...

Yeah, I remember not long ago that any sub-2.0 EBI was Awesome Sauce!

Amazingly, my tube beat the odds and came Gated. :p

Reactions: Victor-TNVC
    Similar to the thread on Arfcom. I posted there, but I'll post here. Helped in my research, makes it easy to see what/where people are buying nice and quick. Going to grab a XLSH 14 for my wife when I save my pennies back up.

Source: NVinc
    Price Paid: $8k
    NOD Model: (PVS-14, 27, RNVG, etc) DTNVGs
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: GP L3 Un-filmed
    Sensitivity: 2215/2522
    Halo: .8/.7
    EBI: .2/.3
    SN: 35.8/35.2
    Resolution: 64/64
    FOM: 2291/2253

So, went out tonight with my new Trybe 2800 FOM PVS-14. I bridged it with an L3 Unfilmed WP ~2200 FOM unit I bought from UNV a few years back.

The Trybe unit uses a slightly different PVS-14 housing. The optics look the same/similar, but the eyepiece adjustment on the Trybe unit has some “sticky” spots. That said, I’m not sure if the Trybe unit was poorly assembled or if the optics are substandard, because they’re *definitely* inferior to the UNV PVS and light years behind my RPO’d DTNVGs. There is considerable optical distortion on the Trybe unit and what looks like “smearing” in the dead center 1/3-1/2 of the image. I don’t know if this is the tube (not likely, but possible, if Trybe is buying rejects) or in the optics itself. Perhaps they’re buying crap Chinesium housing kits with dogshit optics.

Due to the optics, it’s difficult to tell how well the tube stacks up against an unfilmed L3 WP that has a 600 FOM deficit, but as of this moment, the L3 is outperforming the 2829 FOM Elbit Thin Filmed tube, especially in detail and shadow areas. But I assume most, if not all, of the disparity comes either from Trybe’s inferior materials or their shitty Build/QC.

I hope this is not indicative of their offerings. I have no experience with them outside of this single unit, so I can’t pass judgement just yet.

ETA: Photos below. Upon closer inspection, my guess is the Trybe unit uses a substandard housing kit/components. The eyepiece is a glossy black plastic, where every legit PVS-14 I’ve owned has the matte dark gray housing. You can clearly tell the difference. Also, the objective looks very similar, but the glass doesn’t have the same blue-green coating I’ve likewise seen in every legit housing.

I’m fairly confident Trybe are using a knock-off or variant, so if I want to improve the abysmal optical performance of my unit it looks like I’m going to have to send it to a premium builder.

There goes my deal savings!:cry:

CD940E78-1302-45EF-8052-1BD143A814DE.jpeg

9FBDEA3C-26C6-4546-8111-2AE2C27239BE.jpeg

68E98C62-A5B0-469F-BD4B-11627C0DEBFD.jpeg

515782FE-965F-4197-9EB6-0B436AA473B8.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Formosan
    Horta, any chance you'd be willing to put out the ocular to find the cage code and if its a xlsh tube?

Like JW, when posting specs and price, mind also posting purchase date. Price really jumped up these last couple of months (at least with the in-stock get it now dealers) so its good to be able to gauge current deals based on past pricing/spec.

So, went out tonight with my new Trybe 2800 FOM PVS-14. I bridged it with an L3 Unfilmed WP ~2200 FOM unit I bought from UNV a few years back.
    So that nice XLSH came in the 'Trybe' 14? Yeah that housing/glass looks a little off on the smell test. And it's a factory Elbit datasheet, or one of those handwritten ones like guys have been getting from AGM? Making me nervous over here... might wanna crack that sucker open and double check what's inside. Hopefully you've got some spare -14 optics you could screw on after upgrading to your gucci secret squirrel ones.

Reactions: TheHorta
    Source: Steele Industries
    NOD Model: Custom Hyper-14s
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: WP L3 Unfilmed
    Sensitivity: 2779/ 2601

Halo: .7/ .7
    EBI: .8/ .6
    SN: 38.4/ 38.4
    Resolution: 72/ 72
    FOM: 2765/ 2765

Didnt Include my price because these were highly custom and alot of the price was the cost of the other parts in the build.
    Only took I think 2 months to get it after ordering.
    Ive had nothing but 5 star customer service From Dominque and everyone over at Steele.

So that nice XLSH came in the 'Trybe' 14? Yeah that housing/glass looks a little off on the smell test. And it's a factory Elbit datasheet, or one of those handwritten ones like guys have been getting from AGM? Making me nervous over here... might wanna crack that sucker open and double check what's inside. Hopefully you've got some spare -14 optics you could screw on after upgrading to your gucci secret squirrel ones.

It’s a factory datasheet. I don’t think it’ll hurt to crack this puppy open. I can’t make it any worse. That said, I think I’ll contact Trybe and see if the can make it right. While I bought it off the PX, the original owner received it last month, so it’s still fresh.

Source: US Nightvision
    Price Paid: A lot
    NOD Model: (PVS-14, 27, RNVG, etc): Elbit F5032 (PVS31-b)
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: Elbit Thin Film WP
    Sensitivity:2367/2256
    Halo: .83/.60
    EBI: .76/.72
    SN: 31.9/32.4
    Resolution:76/76
    FOM: 2424.4/2462.4

Last edited:
    20ua Unfilmed WP RNVG from Sureshot
    Price- can’t remember but worth every penny
    Fom- 2628/2628
    Res- 72/72
    SNR- 36.5/36.5
    Ebi- .5/.6
    Photocathode sensitivity- 2725/2734
    Halo- .7/.6
    Gain- 63k-64k
    These tubes are beautiful and fantastic performers, very crisp, clear and bright. They are also the cleanest tubes cosmetically out of all the ones I’ve owned. Sureshot was a pleasure to deal with and I could not be happier. I wanted some super nice tubes and they delivered. I really can’t recommend them enough.

Attachments

• 188183DC-80B6-41FC-B34B-E8082DACF505.jpeg
      188183DC-80B6-41FC-B34B-E8082DACF505.jpeg
      188.6 KB · Views: 102
    Last edited:
    20ua Unfilmed WP RNVG from Sureshot
    Price- can’t remember but worth every penny
    Fom- 2628/2628
    Res- 72/72
    SNR- 36.5/36.5
    Ebi- .5/.6
    Photocathode sensitivity- 2725/2734
    Halo- .7/.6
    Gain- 63k-64k
    These tubes are beautiful and fantastic performers, very crisp, clear and bright. They are also the cleanest tubes cosmetically out of all the ones I’ve owned. Sureshot was a pleasure to deal with and I could not be happier. I wanted some super nice tubes and they delivered. I really can’t recommend them enough.

Those are spectacular specs.

Reactions: Shreddingaxes
    Ordered: Jul 19 2020
    Received: Sept 25 2020
    Source: Night Vision Optics
    Price Paid: $3,315.52 (shipped)
    NOD Model: PVS-14
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: L3 WP filmless
    Sensitivity: 2695
    Halo: .6
    EBI: .7
    SN: 35
    Resolution: 72
    FOM: 2520

Unit was sold as a Zone 3 blem

Last edited:
    Posting PROTOCOL:

Source:
    Price Paid:
    Tube MFG/Model/Part:
    Sensitivity:
    Halo:
    EBI:
    SN:
    Resolution:
    FOM:

Original vendor was: TRYBE.

EBI: 1.86 🤔

To date: Hunting after dark,,, 5 + years. Yes, I realize this is a spit in the bucket for those of you veteran's who have more nights under the stars behind the trigger than your average want to be night hunter. I never could justify in my mind why I would ever need to leave the safety of my elevated box stand. Other than to retrieve a downed hog or coyote from more than 300 meters of familiar terrain. As my confidence continues to increase I am coming to terms even if you hunt alone the DEVIL IN THE DARKNESS rests solely inside your mind. If the boogie man exists then maybe I should seek him out. What kind of crazy talk is this you ask. Maybe its time for Indian Jim to push outside the comfort zone and walk a mile in the pvs-14 moccasins. I see how this can quickly turn into a slippery slope. $$$ Need a helmet, need all the other gear you guys tote into the darkness. FYI: Correct me if I am wrong. Any reason why a beginner would not use a hand held pvs- 14 as a scanner while he walks ?

Most recent WP PVS-14 I picked up.

Received: 25 June 2020
    Source: Wills Optics
    Price Paid: $2,900
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: Elbit XLSH WP
    Sensitivity: 2376
    Halo: .74
    EBI: .99
    Luminous Gain: 67570
    SN: 33.5
    Resolution: 81
    FOM: 2713

You guys are posting some pretty stellar specs. I like where this trend is going (Higher Specs - Lower Prices)

TNVC

It's on the website

DTNVG

L3 WP filmless 10160

Sensitivity-2688/2624

Halo-.7/.7

Ebi -.8/.8

S/N- 35.1/35.8

Resolution 72 lpmm/72

fom - 2527/2577

extremely satisfied with them in all lighting conditions.

Gotta spring for some RPO’s on those bad boys.

Reactions: silentwoods
    L3 unfilmed wp
    photo sens. 2747
    EBI 0.9
    Gain 65986
    SNR. 35.5
    High light res. 36
    High light res. 0.6
    FOM 2556
    Viper 14 housing
    Around $4000, but I got what I wanted and got it fairly quickly.
    But it is my first NV device and would love any input as to what to look for to get a
    comparable image at a better price.
    My end end goal is a second pvs14 and a helmet mountable thermal i could alternatively bridge with the primary listed above.

Man, I hesitate to even post my specs. This is my first venture into Nightvision and apparently I should have read more/looked around more before this purchase.

Source: Nightvision Guys
    Price Paid: $1625 shipped
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: AGM Gen 2+ Autogated
    Sensitivity: ?
    Halo: ?
    EBI: .33
    SN: 23.9
    Resolution: 64
    FOM: 1626

Source: High End Armament Tech ** (HEAT) **
    Order to delivery time: 2 days off and 1 business Day.
    Price Paid: don't ask, see above
    NOD Model: PVS-14 KAC M-14 chassis
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: L3 unfilmed WP
    Sensitivity: 2507
    Halo: 0.7 actual
    EBI: 0.4
    SN: 31.0
    Resolution: 72
    FOM: 2232
    Overall impression of said vendor: Unreal customer service. This order all started and spanned across their days off. No problem getting right back to me on everything I asked at all hours (yeah I'm one of those, don't give me your cell number :geek:). Delivery time, well, see above. Honestly, it could have just as easily been one business day if I called them then instead of over the weekend like I did. But they don't have weekends anyway, they just work. Recommended to the max.

Last edited:
    Kosher Surplus
    Dual PVS-14s
    L3 Unfilmed WP
    Sensitivity:2816/2684
    Halo: .7/.7
    EBI: .5/.2
    SN: 38.6/ 36.4
    Resolution: 72/72
    FOM: 2779/2621

I bought a few items from kosher thru the website before speaking with him on the phone about NV. Got a tube in a 14 from him in July for a good deal with the premise of getting a second matching set. Fast forward to last week, got the call from Ben. Ben honored the quoted price for the second tube and I could not be happier with the performance.

In the current market for NV you either pay with time or cash. With Ben you know everything about the tube your purchasing and having it next day is to me worth the premium.

Kosher Surplus
    Dual PVS-14s
    L3 Unfilmed WP
    Sensitivity:2816/2684
    Halo: .7/.7
    EBI: .5/.2
    SN: 38.6/ 36.4
    Resolution: 72/72
    FOM: 2779/2621

I bought a few items from kosher thru the website before speaking with him on the phone about NV. Got a tube in a 14 from him in July for a good deal with the premise of getting a second matching set. Fast forward to last week, got the call from Ben. Ben honored the quoted price for the second tube and I could not be happier with the performance.

In the current market for NV you either pay with time or cash. With Ben you know everything about the tube your purchasing and having it next day is to me worth the premium.

Ben rocks. Sells only what he has in hand. Everything I get from Ben ships immediately. Love me some Kosher Benny.

Running these two 14's on a GEN2 Integrated Components D14 bridge.

Source: NVision Optics (Highly recommended)
    PVS-14
    L3 Unfilmed WP - Zone 3 blemish (I don't see it unless i look for it)
    Sensitivity: 2,580
    Halo: 0.7
    EBI: 0.5
    2x10-6 fc : 69,791
    SN: 33
    RES: 64
    FOM: 2,112
    Price: $3,265 (Jan, 2020 - Purchase to delivery = 15 days)

Source: Gooningear LLC (Not recommended)
    PVS-14
    L3 Unfilmed WP - (Visible zone 2 blemish, advertised as blemish free. Gooningear threatened a15% fee if i returned it)
    Sensitivity: 2,440
    EBI: 0.7
    2x10-6 fc : 65,168
    SN: 34
    FOM: 2,176
    Price: $4,375 (Oct, 2020 - Purchase to delivery = 26 Hours)

Reactions: Formosan
    Source: Gooningear LLC (Not recommended)
    PVS-14
    L3 Unfilmed WP - (Visible zone 2 blemish, advertised as blemish free. Gooningear threatened a15% fee if i returned it)
    Sensitivity: 2,440
    EBI: 0.7
    2x10-6 fc : 65,168
    SN: 34
    FOM: 2,176
    Price: $4,375 (Oct, 2020 - Purchase to delivery = 26 Hours)
    Does the spec sheet notate a blem in the area. If not its most likely a <.003" spec and most vendors consider that as "blemless". But very meh that hey don't have some kind of inspection period.

Man, I hesitate to even post my specs. This is my first venture into Nightvision and apparently I should have read more/looked around more before this purchase.

Source: Nightvision Guys
    Price Paid: $1625 shipped
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: AGM Gen 2+ Autogated
    Sensitivity: ?
    Halo: ?
    EBI: .33
    SN: 23.9
    Resolution: 64
    FOM: 1626
    For the price you paid I don't think you did bad.

Does the spec sheet notate a blem in the area. If not its most likely a <.003" spec and most vendors consider that as "blemless". But very meh that hey don't have some kind of inspection period.
    There are no blems marked on the sheet and it is definitely larger than 0.009-0.012.

There are no blems marked on the sheet and it is definitely larger than 0.009-0.012.

If thats true and thats how the tube arrived. It would be unreasonable for the vendor to not at least look at it. Have you sent them thru the tube pics?

If thats true and thats how the tube arrived. It would be unreasonable for the vendor to not at least look at it. Have you sent them thru the tube pics?

I sent the a through tube picture and then I sent them a picture of what I found when looking through the ocular lens, showing them how filthy it was on the inside. They told me to put some alcohol on a q-tip and try to wipe it off. When I told them again, that the filth was on the inside (Picture attached), they said I could return it less 15% restocking fee because I agreed to their terms and agreements, or I could send it back on my dime for them to "look it over". Being that they insisted that this PVS14 was "Ready to ship" and how they had treated me, I was not comfortable sending it back to them because I don't have any faith it will come back in better condition and I'm sure they'll hold on to it for weeks.

I don't intend for this to be a complaining fest, I just wanted to make sure that I let the thread know that I do not recommend this vendor.

When things slow down a bit, I will send this unit in to a reputable dealer to have it properly cleaned up and purged.
    IMG-7442.jpg

I sent the a through tube picture and then I sent them a picture of what I found when looking through the ocular lens, showing them how filthy it was on the inside. They told me to put some alcohol on a q-tip and try to wipe it off. When I told them again, that the filth was on the inside (Picture attached), they said I could return it less 15% restocking fee because I agreed to their terms and agreements, or I could send it back on my dime for them to "look it over". Being that they insisted that this PVS14 was "Ready to ship" and how they had treated me, I was not comfortable sending it back to them because I don't have any faith it will come back in better condition and I'm sure they'll hold on to it for weeks.

I don't intend for this to be a complaining fest, I just wanted to make sure that I let the thread know that I do not recommend this vendor.

When things slow down a bit, I will send this unit in to a reputable dealer to have it properly cleaned up and purged.View attachment 7466367

Send it to HEAT. They’ll make it perfect.

When things slow down a bit, I will send this unit in to a reputable dealer to have it properly cleaned up and purged.View attachment 7466367
    Send it to me and I’ll clean it and re purge it for free. I can’t help you with the blem but I’ll build it correctly at least. That’s a shame....

Jay

Price Paid: $10
    NOD Model: #5 tube
    Tube MFG/Model/Part: Aldi (German I think but assembled in Texas)
    It’s a larger tube at 4x12 so have to take that into consideration.
    Didn’t come with spec sheet except 73/27. Maybe that’s the FOM part. I’m new to this. Warranty is sweet though. I think I’m going to enjoy it.

91B480EC-352A-4FD1-ABE9-D26704084AE2.jpeg

This guy didn’t come with a spec sheet either so I’m not sure on it either. L3 something or. Did cost more than the other tube though but sure works a hell of a lot better.

BDBDD13F-6B2E-42E8-A498-25AFD490FFCD.jpeg

Now to decide which tube is better. Hot or not? Maybe run duals?

Last edited: