• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How 'bout the carbon fiber barrel????

Coyote3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Wyoming T.S.
Anyone out there tried one of these fancy carbon fibers on there sniper or target rifles. Curious to the accuracy results and such????

Re: How 'bout the carbon fiber barrel????

Not personally, but a friend of mine uses a carbon fiber barrel on his 10/22, I believe it is by Volquartsen. Seems to be a gimmick to me. Nothing better than cold steel.

If your talking about ABS wrapped barels then they are very accurate.

They did a article in jan shooting times where they wraped a factory ruger barrel and it shot very well.

I have several barrels and love them. They are light, cool extremely quick and are very accurate.

There is a group buy going on in the group buy section of the forums.

I think carbon fiber barrels are largely hit or miss. When I was first looking into one, I heard many different stories, none of which disuaded me from getting one. There is a lot of hype about them, and it is very tough to get to the bottom of what is really happening with them. I have heard some folks who are very happy with them like RWS, but I have also heard tell of barrel wearing out more quickly, rapid stings of fire causing accuracy issues, and the like. Mine is a Christensen Arms, and I was getting 1.5 MOA, which could or could not have been related to me. When I sent it back to the factory, I was told it will shoot 1 MOA with factory ammo. Now whether it will or won't shoot 1 MOA, to me it isn't worth just under $1,000 to get that type of accuracy, when there are several sporter weight tubes in factory offerings that can compare to that accuracy. Not to mention, you can get a heavy barrel fluted and end up not weighing that much more than a carbon wrapped. My Surgeon with the lightweight stock and carbon wrapped barrel still tips the scale at over 7 pounds, so how much weight savings am I gaining? How much is that weight savings worth?

Now, Rock barrels has said they guarantee 1/2 MOA on all their barrels and that includes the carbon wrapped ones. That seems like a very good guarantee to me.

Do more reading, and maybe more people will come in and share positive experiences, mine so far has been less than stellar. I have heard many other stories of barrels losing accuracy after 100 rounds, or of carbon seperating from the steel. I love the idea, and will likely try another one down the line, I just need to make sure the next company I use will stand behind their work, and not leave me with a 1MOA rifle for a 1/4" price...

It is a lot of money no matter what company you use, what are you getting for the money?

Dave

Of all the problems I have heard of with ABS barrels, they come from 3 people having trouble with two different barrels. Every other story I have heard is hearsay from these two incidents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all the problems I have heard of with ABS barrels, they come from 3 people having trouble with two different barrels. Every other story I have heard is hearsay from these two incidents.</div></div>

Can you elaborate on this? What were the stories with the two barrels? Did ABS take care of them after the fact? I didn't make reference to ABS in my post, and the post above me was only saying positive things? I was making generalized statements about carbon wrapped barrels. I have not used an ABS barrel, but the stories I have heard of carbon barrel woes have not excluded any company. I am fairly certain I am not referencing the same stories you are talking about when I made the statements in my post above. I know others who have tried carbon barrels of both companies and have not had the results claimed. I just don't think it is cut and dry, that you are for sure going to get a shooter if you use ABS over CA. I guess if the company will stand behind their product, that would mean more than anything.

Do you own any carbon wrapped barrels? I am seriously very interested in owning another because I like the idea. Rock said they guarantee 1/2 MOA, which is an incredible guarantee, and would definately set my mind at ease if I chose to go that route again down the line.

I am just sharing my experience, because they cost a lot of money. I guess I would just make sure I had someone who was willing to back up the work, then it wouldn't be such a big risk. Most companies will back up their custom barrels pretty well, it just seems that the carbon wrapped ones aren't as great of a warranty, maybe that is because it is very expensive for them to write off a custom blank, the labor, and the material if one gets out that doesn't shoot...

Dave

I currently own 5 off the top of my head with two more on the way. The only one that I will use is the ABS. I am not going to say anything good or bad about the others, only that there are different types of wrapping. The system in place and patented by ABS is more for heat loss with a gain of weight loss. Mike has a barrel that was on my M4 that had over 14 thousand rounds down the tube and still shoots about a 1" group. Most of those rounds were full auto and suppressed. I welcome people to shoot any one of the tubes on my guns. I had the above mentioned 11.5" at the prarie dog jamboree in SD several years ago. People other than myself were shooting black hills seconds into groups under a dime. At the time the barrel was into the several thousand 'abused' round count.

I cant say enough good things about these barrels!! If anyone is around the SE MI area and would like to test one out please let me know.

Edit: I plan to be at the Jamboree again this summer with ABS and would be happy to let anyone there form thier own opinion again with any gun that I bring:) Hearing my stories is one thing but shooting it yourself is another.

guapo,

I appreciate the input! I am probably as or more interested as the OP, just been hesitant to get back in the game due to my experience with Christensen.

What kind of average accuracy do you get across the board? On your high round 1 MOA gun, what did it get for the first couple thousand rounds?

Thanks!

Dave

The high count barrel was the 11.5" almost always shot suppressed. Average group could be covered with a dime. If I did my part they were ragged holes with black hills varmint loads. I bough a ton of seconds while in SD. Longest confirmed prairie dog shot was just over 500 yds. Groups were shot with a Swarovski 3
-10. The only thing I have changed on that gun is the barrel. I have a MGI QD upper so it now has 9" and 12" 223 wylde barrels and a nice new 11" 6.8 barrel that I cant wait to go shoot!! Just need to get a new bolt head. All above mentioned are ABS carbon wrapped barrels.

I have one other 6.8 shorty that I need to finish and 2 20" 308's on the way for builds. Best 'long range' group was shot by one of my customers with a 308 I built him on a Stiller Predator with a ABS tube. He shot it in a competition and won with a group of 1.375 at 685 yds. I dont claim I can shoot that good but the rifle did!!

BTW, the 'liner' on the 11.5" was a Rock if I am not mistaken. Another company you cant go wrong with!!

I don't really want to get into details on the bad barrels, if you really want to know I can PM you the story rather than put it online. Let's just say he did make an effort to make it right.

I have one ABS barrel but haven't fired it. A wrapped 6.8 middie. It has a Rock buttoned barrel. I am going to sell it. I have more on order and my brother has a 5.56 barrel he hasn't fired yet. Been a busy year, just haven't got to it.

Anyone wants my 6.8 barrel let me know. I am going to need cash to pay for my .223AI bolt gun that ABS is building for me. I told them if better shoot half minute after five thousand rounds...