• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear How do you camo your tripod?

ChidJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
Georgia
So this may come off as mall ninja-y. I'm prepared for whatever poo slinging may come as a result. With that out of the way, I'm not thrilled with how shiny my tripod is. For matches, I suppose it doesn't matter but I'd also like to use it for hunting. I've gone to great lengths to camouflage every other little bit so it seems counterintuitive to sabotage that with my shiny black and silver tripod.

I've seen some folks wrap the legs in camo tape but I've heard it can get really sticky, especially if left in the hot sun. I've seen some leg sleeves, as well but I have a hard time figuring out if they'll work/fit. Can they be painted? Or will paint mess with the carbon fiber? Is there a one size fits most sleeve? is there a not so sticky tape?

Sorry if its a dumb question

I wrapped the upper part of the legs with the self adherent gentle tape from the pharmacy and painted it. That stuff seems to get less sticky than the CamoForm tape in my experience. I then dusted the leg sections with tan and OD to knock the sheen down, seems to do a pretty good job and doesn't hinder the leg travel in any way.

I've also put the GunSkins GearSkins vinyl camo on the upper part of the leg. It comes in multiple camo patterns and goes on pretty easy and won't damage the tripod putting it on or taking it off. I got it off of amazon for about $50 and I have enough to do several tripods.

Reactions: ChidJ
duct tape works wonders , you could try a nice flower bouquet
lol

• Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
Well I took y’all’s advice. It doesn’t look great but definitely more camouflaged than it was
9A7CE933-311E-4140-9991-883116F89AF6.jpeg

Krylon is much more durable than i expected even with little to no prep on a polished rifle barrel when allowed to properly cure.
I shot a test spot on one of my barrels without proper degreasing or prep and let it cure properly and it has proven to be pretty durable even when i try to scratch or rub it off.
Once i get my Hog Saddle tripod rebuilt i will be shooting the top end with Krylon.