• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do YOU deal with almost dying?

Re: How do YOU deal with almost dying?

My best friend died on his motorcycle when i was getting out of high school, and it changed a lot for me (not neccesarily in a good way). after a few years I got into road racing, and moved to cali and became a local on a few roads that costs lives almost every week. I can't count the times I thought I was done. It just kinda of made me numb to the fact that there's not control over when it happens, you either choose to avoid the potential and continue with that makes you happy regardless of its potential dangers. Now I'll say being single probably has a bit to do with it, and it's not that i don't appreciate life because I do. I just can't see the point in not doing things because of the unknown...

My close brush taught me three things -

1) most of the things that you treat as important as to how they affect you emotionally AREN'T

2) life is too short to deal with too many assholes that can be ejected from your daily/weekly life with no major negative ramifications

3) Try to live mentally more for the here and now; the future is promised to no-one.

You wrote this post while the adrenalin was still in your blood. How are you thinking about things now that it is gone?

All you can do is appreciate the gift that every day is, especially if you are reasonably healthy and can do more or less what makes you happy.

We're all just passing through, and it's better if we don't know the time, or way, that we will meet our inevitable fate.

I've always found alcohol a good way to settle the nerves, when needed.

Talk to someone about it.....I thought I was fine and dandy after my close encounter with death, boy was I wrong. I didn't realize how much it messed with my head until my roommate/best friend asked me if I knew I was having nightmares and screaming through them in the middle of the night. (Had no idea)

Make sure your friends and family know how much you love them and appreciate them while you can.

Been there a time or two, getting old now so it don't matter much, so I suppose, I'd hug my grandaughter, buy her a new dress, bed my wife, say a prayer, take a shot of JD, and probably go fishing.

Reviewing this thread, I'm wondering what the Grunts in Afghanistan and Iraq are thinking when they read it.

My own experience includes being on the receving end of rather well staged ambushes and kinda white knuckled night patrols. I wasn't even a Grunt, I was a REMF Engineer. My own experiences hold no candles to what our young folks are currently enduring on a pretty regular basis.

In the final exam, I see it as being all relative, and being prepared. Fate favors the prepared, and anyone who thinks that can't improve their odds should re-examine that premise.

Greg

I hit the pavement at 80 mph back in 2003 (motorcycle accident.) I was unconscious for 15 minutes or so, I didn't come to until I was on the way to the hospital with an oxygen mask on my face and my broken right shoulder blade pushing into my right lung. I came really close to dying that day, and have looked at things different ever since. It is really tough to put into words, but nothing has been the same since.

I try to find the rainbow in everyday. Somedays its very hard, especially watching my brother fight cancer. You never look at anything the same again. I tell my story, you never know when you are inspiration to someone else. I always tell John I love him...several times a day.

Susan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been to the well a few times now.

The first lasting addition to my life was the recognition that anything which would take me from my family would equally take them from me. I'm selfish about that. I have no plans about letting that happen anytime soon.

Ergo, I resolved to ensure that they should never have to wonder whether I love them or not. I have no reservations about telling them clearly and often.

Also, I determined that if there was something I had my heart set on doing, I'd get off that dime and get it done. I mean, what was I waiting for, anyway?

I further resolved that if I was to leave a legacy, it wouldn't be single thing, but rather, a lifetime of consistently positive experiences on the part of all who interact with me. Once you recognize for certain that your remaining time is finite, it sorta follows that wasting any of it on negativity is simple abysmal stupidity.

As for the moments immediately following one's reminder from The Landlord; catch your breath, calm your thoughts, and get on with the business of life. Don't obsess over the scary parts, life will provide enough of them to occupy more time than they warrant, ever warranted, in the first place. Then when those quiet moments present themselves, take a few moments to deliberate over the other things I mentioned.

I decided The Landlord was already into me for quite a few debts, so I wasn't gonna be hasslin' Him over the small stuff from now on.

My 'moments' were mostly pretty lasting, and there are some permanent aftereffects. The thing to consider is that once you're recovering, there's nothing in the fine print about being over and done with adversity. Recovery is largely about regaining enough constitutional integrity to be able to sustain the other challenges to come. They are out there. When they say 'the truth is out there' that's what they're talkin' about. More truth than anyone who's unprepared can handle. Whatever your best degree of recovery is, you need to get yourself to that stage soon, and sustain it permanently. If I had not recognized that simple if exhausting fact, we wouldn't be having this dialogue.

Greg </div></div>

You Sir are one of the good ones. A few here could stand to aspire to your level and use you as a model and inspiration. Probably myself included.

I was going to post to this to say my piece, as I too have looked death in the face on one solid occasion and possibly a few others. However, it can not be said any better.

My hats off to you Sir.

I was sleeping in my rack when next thing i know the whole room including the tv was on top of me and i could feel and hear the Atlantic ocean rushing into the birthing area and i could do nothing because i was pinned. A rogue wave hit us port side a mid ship and i was sleeping on the starboard side. the tug righted its self and the crew came looking for me. For days after i slept in the wheel house. With help from the crew i went back to my rack that was all new and welded to the bulk head. It took a while but got over it. Then 2 or 3 weeks later another deck hand and i finished making the port cable tough i stepped over it and it parted right under me. I was thrown into the waste and knocked out for a spell. When i came to i felt like i was sitting in warm water only it was my own blood and part of me that should be inside me were on the outside. I was lucky we were still in port and the Capt. called may day and headed inland. After six operations i was told i could not go back to sea, that hurt more then anything else. I was very bitter for a while but got over it. I now enjoy every day better then the day before. It could have been worse a lot worse but i take what i am given and go on and you will also. MM aka crow hop USMM ret.

This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My close brush taught me three things -

1) most of the things that you treat as important as to how they affect you emotionally AREN'T

2) life is too short to deal with too many assholes that can be ejected from your daily/weekly life with no major negative ramifications

3) Try to live mentally more for the here and now; the future is promised to no-one.

You wrote this post while the adrenalin was still in your blood. How are you thinking about things now that it is gone?</div></div>

And This...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always found alcohol a good way to settle the nerves, when needed.</div></div>

I was involved in an "aircraft mishap" during training about a year and a half ago. That's Air Force speak for crashing a damn jet.

It messed with me pretty good for about a week. It was as though it was playing on continuous loop in my mind. I just couldn't turn it off.

I only had a week to get over it because I was cleared of any wrong doing and back up flying in that time. I drank A LOT during that week. Perhaps not the best choice, but it got me through it.

In many ways it was a rather liberating experience. All the stupid shit the AF does really doesn't bother me all that much anymore. Especially while I was standing out in that field. That was one of the greatest moments of my life.

There are many ways to almost meet your maker.
Wrecking vehicles are probably the most memorable for me.

Know sombody that hit a drunk and spent time.
Right in front of his house, as he was turning in.

(I'll read the rest later)

Glad to see Daisy Boy ain't found this one yet.

Back to canning.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as of recently lost my faith in the guy above, so giving thanks will not be my suggestion, but in most real close calls i've had over the years, once the initial shock wears off, i've done the live the next day better than the last, offered help to those that needed it, actually seen life as if it started all over again, as well it practically did.

seen everything through a new set of eyes, and didn't let the oppurtunity pass to smell the flowers - literally...

in perspective, anything and everything from here on out is icing on the cake, no matter how many bad hands life throws at you.

don't fear the reaper, death doesn't hurt.

</div></div>

+1

I think events like described by OP are awkward because you don't have time to think about it. You simply move on and forget. I have the same mentality as you, but I got it by surviving cancer. I was never at death's door or nothing from it (excepting infections from surgery), but you have the stages of dying that people go through when they have time to think about it applying as soon as you are diagnosed just the same.

If you're sick, you will find acceptance surely as a water buffalo accepts the second and third lion. If you can find acceptance without having to get sick, then life is pretty worry-free. Knowing that I shoulda/woulda been dead a few years ago at this point, I simply look at every day as a bonus. What did I do today to enjoy another bonus check? Why should I care about bad event X? I could be dead, so how big a deal could it be in comparison?. And if I'm dead tomorrow, so what? I'm living bonus days anyways.

I remember an associate asking me "You gonna make it?" I gleefully told him it sure looked that way. "No you ain't, not one of us do. In the meantime, enjoy waiting your turn."

I have never been sensitive to the thought of dying. The 7 or 8 times that I've come within inches of it, I had the immediate rush that faded within an hour or so.

2 motorcycle accidents
3 near drownings
1 fall off a cliff
1 explosion

I'm a shit magnet so I know I'll get hit one of these days.

heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came closer to buying the farm this morning that I ever have before. I was making a left on a green turn arrow when a blind old fuck from Idaho came barreling through the intersection from my right after his light had been red for about four seconds. He was driving a new Ford F350 towing a big flatbed and missed the front tire of my bike by less than two inches. Thank the good Lord I have above average peripheral vision and ride like everyone is out to get me. The speed he was traveling, it wouldn't have mattered if I was in my Charger...I'd have ended up a bloody smear on the road.

I was only about a hundred yards from work and when I got there I went to the back and closed myself in the training room and shook for about ten minutes while the adrenaline purged. I was left with a filthy headache and felt like I'd just run a marathon. It happened over six hours ago, but I still feel twitchy.

I've had a shotgun pointed at me from four feet away and didn't feel this messed up afterward.

What have you guys felt when you knew the reaper was deep into his backswing? What was the aftermath? (I've decided to get more life insurance so my wife can have a better life if I check out early...not something I had even really considered up 'til now.) Is my reaction typical or am I just a wuss?
wink.gif

I've started an infusion of Makers Mark and it seems to be helping... </div></div>

Do some of the stuff you always wanted to do but talked yourself ut of cause it just wasnt practical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i go bang the biggest bitch I can find. </div></div>

+100

Typically on my few occasions I enjoyed smoking a whole pack of cigarettes while having half a can of Copenhagen in.

I've only had one near death experience. It happened when I was maybe 4 or 5. Its really not that interesting of a story except for maybe one detail. We were in a car crash. I don't know what happened but I remember the windows shattering. Then the car starting to roll down a hill and smashed into some trees. The next thing I remember were these big guys. There were three and one picked me up out of the car and layed me on the grass. He told me not to reach into my pockets or rub my eyes (because of the broken glass.) No one else is able to verify these guys were there. My brother was too young to even remember me being there and the other two people who were in te car lost touch with my family long ago. My mom and sister showed up soon after, once the police were there. It wasn't until not long ago I asked my mom who those guys where, and she said there was no one else there.

My near death experiences, including two trips to "The Tunnel of Light", came as a kid from a black widow spider bite, and a year later I damn near drowned.

It taught me to do your best at all times and live life to the fullest, something you must do, nothing, ever, is to be half-ass.

Live it up guys, live it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only had one near death experience. It happened when I was maybe 4 or 5. Its really not that interestig of a story except for maybe one detail. We were in a car crash. I don't know what happened but I remember the windows shattering. Then the car starting to roll down a hill and smashed into some trees. The next thing I remember were these big guys. There were three and one picked me up out of the car and layed me on the grass. He told me not to reach into my pockets or rub my eyes (because of the broken glass.) No one else is able to verify these guys were there. My brother was too young to even remember me being there and the other two people who were in te car lost touch with my family long ago. My mom and sister showed up soon after, once the police were there. It wasn't until not long ago I asked my mom who those guys where, and she said there was no one else there. </div></div>

Actually quite a beautiful story, Minx. Ive met a couple of those "big guys" myself. Thanks for shareing

I remember those men vividly, they were built, haha. Maybe it was just because I was so little any guy was "big" to me back then. They were pretty ripped to be angels, if that's what they were.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance </div></div>

So why would you keep that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance </div></div>

So why would you keep that?</div></div>

where do i begin..............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithtb1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Responded to a call in the early morning hours of a burglary attempt at a doctors office. Upon arrival, noticed a screw driver wedged in the front door of the business and observed some small tools and a 6volt lantern flashlight. Doctor walked from around back to tell me he didn't want a report just wanted to open the business and could I help him get the door open. I was able to get the screw driver out and proceeded to pick up the tools to put into property, when I picked up the flashlight and noticed it was unusually heavy. Walked back to my trunk with the items as my partner was arriving on scene. Told him what I had and that the flashlight was unusually heavy and proceeded to shake it like a morroca and could here what I thought was coins and or jewelry maybe from another burglary.
As I twisted off the top and removed the cover we noticed wires connected between the cover/lid, a mercury switch,a battery and a bunch of screws and other metal objects inside! At this point I gently place the light into the trunk of the car and we both take off running like we are on fire and got about 50 yards from the car. Now this is where shit really gets stupid/crazy! My partner looks at me and we start laughing and he says " Holy Shit! Man I'm gonna miss you kid!" and I ask why? and he says "cause when they find out you just put a bomb in the back of that brand new patrol car they are gonna fire your rookie ass". So what do you think this stupid rookie does? I run over and grab that thing out of the trunk and walk it over and place it on the ground and drive that car over to my partners location! All the while I can here him screaming at me through cloudy ears/muffled sounds.
Well as you can imagine all hell breaks loose after this and the whole city mobilizes. Fire, hazmat, bomb squad, every unit in the city etc. The Bomb squad is able to get it into an explosive container and brings it to where ever they bring that shit and it detonates in the container! SOOOOO the bomb squad Commander calls me several hours later and tells me to pack up a suit case and be ready to go in 30 minutes. And as a rookie I'm thinking, shit I'm in trouble, and there kicking me out of the city!!! And then he says "Cause we are going to Vegas cause you are the LUCKIEST SONOFABITCH I ever met!
Well, as it turns out the asshole who planted the device wanted to kill a cop. ANY cop and I was just lucky enough to be the one who responded. With the help of ATF and several agencies we located the asshole in our city and after three days of surveillance, the team picked him off leaving his residence and found the bomb making material to tie him to the device!
I guess for me the next several days was the hardest to sleep but I found talking about it with other guys and laughing and kidding about it got me through. It just wasn't my time. I didn't live life any different. Maybe said a few prayers more than usual but just went on that notion that you can't plan on shit like that getting you or you wouldn't make it in this job. After 28 years of it thank God I'm at the end. Good luck with dealing with yours.</div></div>

Made my asshole tighten up just reading it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance </div></div>

where do i begin..............</div></div>

Being as its you BR Id say with a quart of Texas bourbon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance </div></div>

where do i begin.............. </div></div>

Jumper through my chute on a night combat equipment jump (farkin tree!). Jumper through my chute on a day combat equipment jump (jumpmaster what the hell?).

You get over it. Sometimes something might remind you of that incident.

How do YOU deal with almost dying?

Mmmm.....by reminding oneself, again, that the mission ain't over yet.

Everyone's here for a reason, when that purpose is fullfilled it's time to go.

Simple.......

been 4 times for me I enjoy life a little more each time and trust in god a little more each time it scares the shit out of you thats for sure and take time to get over it. Good luck glad you made it ok Kim

It's in the back of my mind every day... Ya see, In December of 2010 I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer. I had surgery to remove it but it got into my Lymph Nodes. Just a few of them but enough to require Chemo-therapy. Unfortunately, I have a genetic condition that makes Chemo excessively toxic and it almost killed me so I haven't been able to have a regular regiment of treatments. I'm currently waiting for April 22nd to get a consultation at Shands Hospital to figure this thing out. Most of the time I'm fine and just going through life... But sometimes the gravity of my predicament knocks me back a few steps.
It's a situation I wouldn't wish on anyone... But I have the easy part. The ones I'm most concerned for are my Family and friends.

Sooo... I guess how I deal with it is with faith in God, showing as much Love and understanding as I can to my fellow man and not thinking too much about the bad stuff. FWIW...

After reading all posts I tell myself Good God what you guys have lived thru I am not a deep holy man but I think we all got a lot to be thankful for. I am glad for you all and enjoy your thoughts thats why the hide is such a cool site .Come on Low Light how many times have you almost bit the dust? He wont tell.Well I pour a cup of Jo and mix 2 oz of Knob Creek and Muse winds blowing snow flying wifes in town at school at 54 its all good few ak,s in the room one more cherry milled 1955 Russian type 3 on the way for rebuild could be alot worse yall stay safe ya hear. Kim

I was shot on oct 08. Took one to the right hand and right inner thigh. I was very lucky to not get hit in the femoral artery. The surgeons were great, The hand surgeon was able to save my finger that was severed and patch up the other one and the knuckles. I did not get full feeling back but it is 90%. From the holes in my leg to the knee is all tingly and hurts like hell if it gets lightly tapped. There is still some pain here and there but I am not complaining.
I have had serious bike and race car crashes in the past but this was the one that made me think of my mom crying over a casket. It does change your outlook on life and your appreciation of things. I am far more focused on what matters to me and have no patience for unimportant BS anymore. I will say it does mess with you some but it gets better as time goes on.
I just know for me I am glad I am still here and am able to spend time with friends and family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine. i was doing advanced free fall "skydiving" my pilot chute came out and wraped around the main canopy creating what is called in skydiving jargon a BOWTIE. not good! toggles barely kept it inflated and could not steer. made it to the ground. also made me take a hard look at my prospective on life. glad the big guy gave me a second chance </div></div>

So why would you keep that? </div></div>

i keep that because i was a student and only had a few jumps under my belt and in a split second i was not going to take a distance judgement on how long it would take to cut away main to reserve and get back under canopy and NOT go splat. and FYI i heard several debates as to weather or not i shoulda cut away between jumpers with over 1k jumps and guess how they all ended?................dude, you made it to the ground safe , so i guess you made the right decision. im happy with my decision and thats really the only opinion that matters to me on this particular subject

where do i begin.............. </div></div>at the beginning

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hug my kids, kiss my wife and tell them I love them every day. You never know when it's your last. </div></div>

+1

Once, I was asked to lead a discussion group for some of our Scouts.

I asked them what they did the previous Christmas.

When they were done, I told them how I'd spent the previous Christmas in a coma in ICU, with a dubious prognosis. In essence, I had missed the previous Christmas completely, and come very close to losing my family forever. I mean, if I'm gone, they're gone to me, too.

Then I asked them how their lives would change if they were suddenly told the previous Christmas was going to be the last one they ever saw their families, and what they would do differently if they had known that at the time.

Finally, I asked them whether it should make a difference whether that hypothetical assumption was true or false.

I suppose I could ask the rest of us the same questions.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was shot on oct 08. Took one to the right hand and right inner thigh. I was very lucky to not get hit in the femoral artery. The surgeons were great, The hand surgeon was able to save my finger that was severed and patch up the other one and the knuckles. I did not get full feeling back but it is 90%. From the holes in my leg to the knee is all tingly and hurts like hell if it gets lightly tapped. There is still some pain here and there but I am not complaining.
I have had serious bike and race car crashes in the past but this was the one that made me think of my mom crying over a casket. It does change your outlook on life and your appreciation of things. I am far more focused on what matters to me and have no patience for unimportant BS anymore. I will say it does mess with you some but it gets better as time goes on.
I just know for me I am glad I am still here and am able to spend time with friends and family. </div></div>

Glad your still here. that tingling is nerve damage. It will lessen wth time but youll always know its there.

I tingle too. It's a reminder to me that I've been where few willingly go; and that being able to feel that tingle is a big part of the <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> news.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came closer to buying the farm this morning that I ever have before. I was making a left on a green turn arrow when a blind old fuck from Idaho came barreling through the intersection from my right after his light had been red for about four seconds. He was driving a new Ford F350 towing a big flatbed and missed the front tire of my bike by less than two inches. Thank the good Lord I have above average peripheral vision and ride like everyone is out to get me. The speed he was traveling, it wouldn't have mattered if I was in my Charger...I'd have ended up a bloody smear on the road.

I was only about a hundred yards from work and when I got there I went to the back and closed myself in the training room and shook for about ten minutes while the adrenaline purged. I was left with a filthy headache and felt like I'd just run a marathon. It happened over six hours ago, but I still feel twitchy.

I've had a shotgun pointed at me from four feet away and didn't feel this messed up afterward.

What have you guys felt when you knew the reaper was deep into his backswing? What was the aftermath? (I've decided to get more life insurance so my wife can have a better life if I check out early...not something I had even really considered up 'til now.) Is my reaction typical or am I just a wuss?
wink.gif

I've started an infusion of Makers Mark and it seems to be helping... </div></div>
You start a thread on snipers hide and tell everyone what happend then move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came closer to buying the farm this morning that I ever have before. I was making a left on a green turn arrow when a blind old fuck from Idaho came barreling through the intersection from my right after his light had been red for about four seconds. He was driving a new Ford F350 towing a big flatbed and missed the front tire of my bike by less than two inches. Thank the good Lord I have above average peripheral vision and ride like everyone is out to get me. The speed he was traveling, it wouldn't have mattered if I was in my Charger...I'd have ended up a bloody smear on the road.

wink.gif

You start a thread on snipers hide and tell everyone what happend then move on. </div></div>

Mabey hes still "infusing".

I don't like being worth more dead, than alive, but it's the truth. I think you're very smart in thinking about more life insurance. It's good to take care of our loved ones while we're alive, and a huge gift to be able to do so when we're gone.

My father in-law was a poor teacher/farmer. He was killed while driving a hay-wagon (Grain truck hit the cab and ejected him and then the stack-wagon ran him over). He had a life insurance policy that my mother in-law didn't even know about. That was in '89, and she is still able to live today because of the money he left behind.

Do it now. Get as much as you can afford. You'll never regret it.

I rode street bikes in my twenties- Yamaha 1100; Honda Magna 700; Harley Super Glide. Owned them in that order.

No joke, I literally learned to ride a motorcycle on that 1100 Yamahammer. I cannot thank the Lord enough for seeing fit to keep my sorry carcass around for a few more years. He held me in his hand without a doubt. Before the Yamaha, I had posted about 1 hour of riding 100cc dirt bikes.

When I was young and riding, I did not think too much about the cars that pulled out in front of me. But now, I think about it and it gives me the shivvers! I was in Murfreesboro and a little old blue-haired lady was about to hit me. I hit the horn and she turned her head AND her Buick toward me at 40 mph. Nigh near bought the farm on that one. I swerved and came a breath away from her front bumper.

Put the Yamaha in the ditch once, but I had a very mild ride compared to you guys.

Thanks for sharing.

How do YOU deal with almost dying? I came close to dying all you need to do is; live on and chalk it up as experience.

My PSG gave me this gem while I was in the hospital-

"From now on everyday is a holiday and every meal is a banquet."

Works as well as any of the other babble I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's funny though, cause the sound of all my other bones breaking, were essentially "crunches", whereas the pelvis has a definingly deep "snap".

4 months later, I got out of the hospital. 7 months after the accident, I started learning how to walk again.</div></div>
BTDT and got the Helicopter ride to go along with it.

Single vehicle MVA, cruise control set on 63 mph, driving one hour south at 0415, driver fell asleep at the wheel and I was asleep in the passenger seat.
Mitsubishi Eclipse strikes a bricked in driveway embankment head on in the passenger side.
(Alcohol was not a factor in this accident.)
My femur was driven rearward by the dash and shattered my pelvis in 8 places.
Woke up and the other two occupants of the vehicle were gone.
They got out and went to the nearby house for help.
They came back and pulled me out of the window.
State Trooper showed up and ordered me to stand up.
When I tried my unstable pelvis shifted and my right leg shifted 4 inches up.

Fortunately the hospital was less than 5 miles away.
Ambulance showed up and away we went.
I was in unimaginable pain at this point.

In the emergency room things were moving rapidly and I started to slip into shock as was indicated by tachycardia.
(Shock was the only relief I got up until this point.)
Turns out that I had massive internal bleeding, lacerated spleen, bruised liver, detached urethra, and sprained ankle.
The prognosis was not good and this hospital did not have a trauma center.
I knew I was in trouble when I saw several of the ER nurses crying.

The hospital contacted the Coast Guard to notify them that one of their members was in an accident and was in critical condition.
The OOD contacted the Air Station and they arranged to air lift me via one of our local MH60 J-Hawks to Portsmouth Naval Hospital.
The medical team prepared me for transport by fitting me with Trauma Air Pants and giving me a cocktail of pain medication.

The flight was uneventful and we arrived at Portsmouth Naval about 25 minutes later.
We sat on the helipad for about ten minutes with the head turning and no one came out.
The aircraft commander sent the flight mechanic into the ER to get someone.
I finally transported to the ER and then sat there for another 20 minutes before someone realized the severity of my condition.
The doctor that noticed me immediately went into GQ mode and started barking out orders.
A few moments later, a portable crash cart was put on my bed and I was moved to ICU.

Due to the blood loss and internal injuries, they were unable to treat my pelvis.
In the interim, a rod was inserted laterally through my femur just above the knee and traction weights were affixed to provide some level of stabilization.
They concluded that my bleeding could be controlled with drugs and monitored me in ICU for close to a week prior to operating on my pelvis.

Since I was 21 years old and in the best shape of my life, they felt that I was a good candidate for an experimental procedure.
This procedure involved reassembling my pelvis using three eight inch screws through the pelvic wings and a plate across the front attached with seven screws.
The surgery took 12 hours and was a complete success.
When I woke up I immediately felt much better.

Spent two more weeks at Portsmouth Naval recovering and then two more months in a wheel chair.
Tons of physical therapy and three months later, I was walking normally with only a minor limp.
Unfortunately, I am unable to run for any significant amount of time.
Since I was an avid runner prior to the accident, this was a big deal to me.

Anyhow, back to the point of the thread.
How I dealt / deal with it.
Well, I was on what I call a "Near Death High" for about two years.
There was nothing that could get me down or wipe the smile off my face.
I would just take a deep breath smile and say, "I'm alive…"

The trauma aspect of it still has a lasting affect on me in many ways.
I'm a walking barometer of course.
I some times tear up when I see a bad accident scene.
For years I could not sleep in vehicles.

I never have seen a shrink about it or taken a clinical physiological look at things.
Maybe I should...

1. providing for one's family is a good idea. Insurances wouldn't exist if you can predict everything with 100% certainty.
2. you want to be relaxed and be in the moment when things like that happen, just like shooting. Focus on breathing and relax, take out unnecessary tension.

That way, you can respond at your best, whatever it may be, be it dangerous drivers, physical disaster, etc.

Best.

wink.gif

I had a close call at work that I walked away from but sent the other firefighter to the hospital. We arrived at a house that was boarded up tight on the ground level, and every sign of fire pointed to a second story point of origin. Our captain made a quick assessment and we entered from the second story porch. I was pulling slack for the other ff on the nozzle and she asked for more line so I fell back a few feet and pulled another loop into the room, I then followed the line back to her and found that she had fallen through the floor into the garage where the actual fire was. Luckily she fell onto a pile of junk and was only shoulder deep in the hole, but on the other hand she was now at the top of a chimney and fire takes the path of least resistance. After an adrenaline filled struggle I pulled her out of the hole just in time for our captain to catch up to us and help get her out of the structure. Moments later the hole went from a the size of a person to half of the room, how the floor held all of us long enough to get out I will never know. Long story short- she went to the hospital unconscious, burnt, and lungs full of smoke (she is fine now), and I stayed at the scene. Had I been on the lead that night I don't know how things would have turned out, she's probably 175 in full gear and air pack, and I'm probably 250 in the same. Needless to say, the grass was very green the next day and my wife had never looked better.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. At 18 I had a brain aneurism. Almost died, after that life took on a different tint. I don't fear death, I have a healthy respect for it but its just another part of life.

Been away a while...bought a new-to-me home and been working on my new garage/workshop.

I'll tell y'all, what I've done since I originally posted: I've lost 27 pounds (it would be more except I've put some muscle on). I've switched positions within my company to have more time to spend with my wife, my mom, my stepdad, and my hobbies (it also means I won't be riding when most elderly folks are on the road
grin.gif
). And I enjoy simple things a little more than I used to because I make a conscious decision to do so.

I genuinely appreciate all the replies and shared experiences. I guess I find it fascinating that many folks respond in a very similar fashion...they realize that they took "life" for granted and begin to appreciate it a little- or a lot- more. I guess I was just suffering from a little PTSD immediately following that close call, and now that that is behind me I feel better off for it. I would happily go the rest of my life without another "incident" like that, but ol' Nietzsche appears to have been right about one thing at least...

taking enemy fire direct and indirect, at the time I just became detached and went with my training. After I forced myself to keep my head up and continue outside the wire.

So I guess I just put on a brave face, while inside I was screaming to go back to the fob.