• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do YOU deal with almost dying?

Re: How do YOU deal with almost dying?

Almost dying was the best and worst thing that ever happened to me. I must say however, waking up in the ICU with all the alarms going off is a bit unnerving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i go bang the biggest bitch I can find. </div></div>

Damn dude it should be skankster not shankster.

I've had a few close calls one in particular that I had nightmares over for quite a while. I gave a thank you to God and I try to not take things for granted now that I'm back home.

After a cancer diagnosis in September I finished my last chemo on a Monday a couple of weeks ago. On Friday of that same week I went to the funeral of a friend who died from brain cancer. He was diagnosed in February this year.
Mine is not a "how do you deal with almost dying" but a "why was I spared while those around me died" feeling.
One must realize that we are doomed to die at our first breath. It is not about the death but the life. Make everyday count. Live as if it is your last. If you have lived with honor and dignity you will live on in those who you leave behind.

Two things really scare me: Having children; and dying in my sleep.

It took me a while to understand that the rest is a crapshoot.

What you do is surrender to the inevitable conclusion: that chaos and randomness rule it all.

Then you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and do it again with a slightly bigger smile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a cancer diagnosis in September I finished my last chemo on a Monday a couple of weeks ago. On Friday of that same week I went to the funeral of a friend who died from brain cancer. He was diagnosed in February this year. Mine is not a "how do you deal with almost dying" but a "why was I spared while those around me died" feeling. One must realize that we are doomed to die at our first breath. It is not about the death but the life. Make everyday count. Live as if it is your last. If you have lived with honor and dignity you will live on in those who you leave behind. </div></div>OK: I thought about it some more. The OP posed an interesting question so I'll try to answer it more seriously and in the best way that I can:

Gaugin wrote that there is salvation only in extremes. But I never raced motorcycles or climbed to achieve either salvation or an extreme. I did it to risk. Perhaps on a more visceral level I did it only to suffer - to focus on the pleasure of fighting for life. The denominations were different but the currency was always the same: Risk was experience was pleasure was life itself.

Like a firefight or sudden hand-to-hand struggle, when welcomed with an open mind what begins as terrifying becomes calming and insightful. With practice, the calmness and insight do not arrive later as some sort of euphoric after-effect but bloom in real-time during the fight. This must be the same as what top athletes feel when they enter ‘the zone’ - one stops trying to do something and instead becomes what one is doing.

After repeatedly approaching the precipice you begin to understand that you are involved in a process of exploring the choice of living versus dying: Between the irrationality of hanging-on and the sweet seductiveness of letting go.
The only real choice you ever have boils down to a simple lesson in the meaning of the term ‘Fuck You’: Fuck you, I choose to live. When you make that choice you realize that this is a phrase many people use but few truly understand.

The enduring lesson, for me, was one of perspective: Knowing that the proximity of death is a reality led me to an understanding of what is necessary to avoid making a mockery of the rest of my life.

Glass of Scotch and the thanks that I'm still alive with more to live for. Keep on moving.

About 2 or so years fter taking a shower and starting to get dressed i had a pulmonary embolism. I said very loud SQUAD i sat on the stool and everytging let loose,i had no control of my body at all. All went black then i saw a light and voices were talking to me, no faces. Then i started to come around and there were people in the bathroom with me- rescue squad, they took me to the ER but i was confuzed. The ER doctor told me that i was gone in the ambulance but came around again. I can't remember all what went on but it did change me in some ways. a couple months later i had a heart attack, same thing i was gone then i came back as the doctor said. I live with it by just living and not dweling about my condition. Life for me is much slower now but more enjoyabel,i have had 3 tia's and lost some memory from all this but i cant change it so i just keep moving on. Thinking about it can't change it. MM

LOTS OF LAUGHTER!!! That's how I deal with it!!! At least in Iraq when they're walking mortars in on us and we're running for cover! You don't know what else to do...

I think honestly we were all scared shitless....