• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How good is the 8x/10x on a LPVO

CRozek

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2011
I've played with many 1-6x optics, and the 6x's seem to be pretty tight and often underwhelming. I can only imagine that the small exit pupil & eyebox on a 1-8x or a 1-10x are pretty miserable in low light. Are there any optics that execute this particularly well? What practical limitations do they have?

There have been so many new LPVOs that I haven't played with yet. Looking at thins like ATACR, NX8, Razor HD Gen III, VCOG, Credo, VuDu, Mark 6, New Geissele, Tango6 etc. so any anecdotes comparing are appreciated.

Never been behind a 1-10. But have had a few 1-8’s and a 2.5-10x24 NXS, and yes a 24mm objective lens and 8x-10x make for a very very tight exit pupil.

If it’s going to be primarily used for mid to long range and cranked up most of the time then I’d stick with regular LR style optic and put a offset RDS on it for the close stuff.

Reactions: EXSOCAL
swaro is amazing as well. Funny to see peoples reactions when handling the swaro1-6,when they used shooting a vcog or a mark 6.

swaro is amazing as well. Funny to see peoples reactions when handling the swaro1-6,when they used shooting a vcog or a mark 6.

Yea, doing a USSOCOM kinda build, LE6920 lower receiver with the Geissele upper. I love them, but looking for more tactitool.

If you want tacticool what about the acog rmr? Great combo as well.
IMO a better option than the elcan. Most people run their scopes full power and have the rmr for quick close shots

IMO a better option than the elcan. Most people run their scopes full power and have the rmr for quick close shots

Absolutely HAAAAAAAATTTTTEEEE the eye relief on an ACOG. Ran one for years. Also don't care to loose a cheek weld to use the red dot.

You had the wrong acog. TA 33 has horrible eye relief but others like the ta01 are excellent.
I find the eye relief on the nx8 much worse than any acog I’ve dealt with.
With regards to the rmr being piggybacked that’s all a mater of rounds downrange, you’ll get used to it and proficient with it if you put in the work.
IMO acog rmr is the ultimate fighting combo, but it all comes down to rounds downrange. Every system has disadvantages, but typically it’s the shooter who needs to improve him or herself.

Absolutely HAAAAAAAATTTTTEEEE the eye relief on an ACOG. Ran one for years. Also don't care to loose a cheek weld to use the red dot.
You had the wrong acog. TA 33 has horrible eye relief but others like the ta01 are excellent.
I find the eye relief on the nx8 much worse than any acog I’ve dealt with.
With regards to the rmr being piggybacked that’s all a mater of rounds downrange, you’ll get used to it and proficient with it if you put in the work.
IMO acog rmr is the ultimate fighting combo, but it all comes down to rounds downrange. Every system has disadvantages, but typically it’s the shooter who needs to improve him or herself.

I don't think you're listening to me. Def no on the ACOG family.

Totally agree that it's about the shooter. Beautiful thing is that I'm not restricted to any contracts or anything so like most shooters, I really enjoy sifting through options in finding my preferences.

I've played with many 1-6x optics, and the 6x's seem to be pretty tight and often underwhelming. I can only imagine that the small exit pupil & eyebox on a 1-8x or a 1-10x are pretty miserable in low light. Are there any optics that execute this particularly well? What practical limitations do they have?

There have been so many new LPVOs that I haven't played with yet. Looking at thins like ATACR, NX8, Razor HD Gen III, VCOG, Credo, VuDu, Mark 6, New Geissele, Tango6 etc. so any anecdotes comparing are appreciated.

LPVOs are made to be excellent 1x scopes that can also go up in magnification. Despite the limited exit pupil many modern LPVOs work quite nicely at the highest magnification during the day. In low light, I usually end up dialing the magnificaiton down a little and get good results at around 5x or so with a 24mm exit pupil.

Fundamentally, if you do not need 1x, do not get a LPVO. You will get better high magnification results with larger objective conventional scopes, but if you need 1x, a modern high quality LPVO will give you surprisingly respectable 6x or 8x or 10x performance.

ILya

So I went with Ilya's LPVO recommendation for an 18" AR build I just put together, and put a XTR2 1-8x24 FFP on it. I snagged it at a good sale price from Camera Land; I thought to myself "If Ilya recommends it for a $1000 price point, then at $750 I can't go wrong".

Just took the rifle out to the range yesterday and really enjoyed the LPVO. I was just plinking steel between 100-300 yards, but the glass seemed very clear and focused at those ranges from 1x to 8x magnification. The reticle is very well thought out and usable from 1x to 8x. At 1x, the large circle really guides your eye to the aiming point, and at about 4x you can start to make out the finer reticle details. 6x-8x the reticle really comes to life and looked great. The sun wasnt BEAMING but the illumination was definitely visible even below the max brightness. BDC drops seemed accurate enough for the purposes of the rifle/optic, but like I said, I was only between 100-300 yards.

So I went with Ilya's LPVO recommendation for an 18" AR build I just put together, and put a XTR2 1-8x24 FFP on it. I snagged it at a good sale price from Camera Land; I thought to myself "If Ilya recommends it for a $1000 price point, then at $750 I can't go wrong".

Just took the rifle out to the range yesterday and really enjoyed the LPVO. I was just plinking steel between 100-300 yards, but the glass seemed very clear and focused at those ranges from 1x to 8x magnification. The reticle is very well thought out and usable from 1x to 8x. At 1x, the large circle really guides your eye to the aiming point, and at about 4x you can start to make out the finer reticle details. 6x-8x the reticle really comes to life and looked great. The sun wasnt BEAMING but the illumination was definitely visible even below the max brightness. BDC drops seemed accurate enough for the purposes of the rifle/optic, but like I said, I was only between 100-300 yards.

Glad you liked it. I have one and use it all the time. For the money, I have not yet found a better FFP LPVO. Then again, I'll be testing Razor Gen 3 soon....

ILya

Glad you liked it. I have one and use it all the time. For the money, I have not yet found a better FFP LPVO. Then again, I'll be testing Razor Gen 3 soon....

ILya

Have you compared the XTR2 to the Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5? Honestly, right after I bought my XTR2 I saw that Camera Land also had the Bushy's for sale, a bit cheaper than the XTR2, and I kinda started second guessing my purchase.

The Bushnell has a true Mil-scale reticle which seems nice, but the smaller circle looks like it would be less friendly at low power. I have a DMR2 on my bolt gun, and I do think I prefer the Bushnell's turrets over the XTR2.

Overall, I've moved passed any second guessing. I am happy with the XTR2 and hope to put it through a lot of range time.

Have you compared the XTR2 to the Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5? Honestly, right after I bought my XTR2 I saw that Camera Land also had the Bushy's for sale, a bit cheaper than the XTR2, and I kinda started second guessing my purchase.

The Bushnell has a true Mil-scale reticle which seems nice, but the smaller circle looks like it would be less friendly at low power. I have a DMR2 on my bolt gun, and I do think I prefer the Bushnell's turrets over the XTR2.

Overall, I've moved passed any second guessing. I am happy with the XTR2 and hope to put it through a lot of range time.

They are very comparable in terms of overall design, but Bushnell reticle is less practical one 1x.

ILya