• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many anchor points needed for Area419 weighted rail?

JTinMO

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Have a new rifle with Manners T2A-GAP stock. Installed an Area419 weighted rail this weekend, and have it mounted with the front Action screw and the front swivel mount point, so two attachment points in total. Nothing in the middle. Is this adequate for a PRS rifle, or is a third midpoint attachment desired?

The stock has three or four different tee-nuts already installed that are not being used, but the others don't line up with any rail hole or slot in the rail due to the weights. So I would be installing another tee-nut in the stock to add a midpoint attachment. It's not a big deal to do so, assuming I can find a spot that doesn't overlap with an existing tee-nut hole. I don't want to add yet another hole in the stock if it makes no difference though.

Should I have concerns with just the two mounting points, or is it good to go?

I installed one on a Manners T4-A and after discussion with AREA 419 it was suggested that 3 fasteners would be sufficient

Reactions: JTinMO
Can you move it forward so you are not using the front action screw and pick up some the of factory T nuts?

I don't use the front action screw for two reasons. 1 my bi-pod can't go back that far with out hitting the mag so it's wasted rail. 2 if I have a problem at a match that requires me to take the action out of the stock, the rail isn't in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: rijndael
Can you move it forward so you are not using the front action screw and pick up some the of factory T nuts?

I don't use the front action screw for two reasons. 1 my bi-pod can't go back that far with out fitting the mag so it's wasted rail. 2 if I have a problem at a match that requires me to take the action out of the stock, the rail isn't in the way.
Not sure I follow you 100%, as I'm a newbie to the rail game. I need to have the rail mounted all the way to the rear, and adjacent to the mag well. In this location I already have about an inch or so of rail sticking out the front. I'm trying to get the balance point just in front of the mag well and that would be where a tripod would mount, so would need rail there as well.

It's not a big deal to add another mounting tee-nut to the stock. I can do that in 15 minutes. Just will end up with 4 mount hole locations in the stock, with two of them not used on my rail.

Not sure I follow you 100%, as I'm a newbie to the rail game. I need to have the rail mounted all the way to the rear, and adjacent to the mag well. In this location I already have about an inch or so of rail sticking out the front. I'm trying to get the balance point just in front of the mag well and that would be where a tripod would mount, so would need rail there as well.

It's not a big deal to add another mounting tee-nut to the stock. I can do that in 15 minutes. Just will end up with 4 mount hole locations in the stock, with two of them not used on my rail.

Have you tested the balance point to see if it's actually at the front of the mag well or further forward? Have you mounted your gun to your tripod with a mag inserted to see if your ball head/leveling base will actually mount as far to the rear as you think it needs to without contacting the mag?

During PRS type matches, I have ran into more situations where I want my bi-pod moved back as far as I can than situations where I need to shoot off of a tripod. With my harris and a pod lock, I can't get the bi-pod far enough back to use the last 1-1.5" of rail with out the pod lock hitting the mag. Becasue of this, I moved my rail forward so I don't use the front action screw in the rear hole of the rail. It doesn't matter if 1" or 2" stick out of the front. Honestly it's probably better to have the bi-pod and the rear bag as far apart for prone shots.

Reactions: JTinMO
good info. No, I don't have the whole setup together yet to see. With the tunable weight system I should be able to drop weights from the rear to shift the balance point forward if needed. That's the whole reason I bought the tunable rail.

I honestly don't even have a tripod yet. Just trying to get the pieces setup before I go crazy with buying everything. Trying to start with the complete rifle setup first.