• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How many rounds do you shoot a year?

silentbutdeadly

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Orange County, California
On an unrelated topic, a comment was made that the more rounds you shoot, the more you should spend on your scope. I can agree with that philosophy to some degree. Not that cost, averaging plays a part, but if shooting is your sport, you owe it to yourself to get the best equipment you can afford, as opposed to the guy that builds a $5k safe queen rifle just to show it off to his friends.

My question to the serious riflemen is this, how may rounds do you shoot weekly, monthly or in a year, and do you do most of your shooting with a primary rifle/caliber? Secondary question, do you journal/log all rounds sent down range?

Regards,

Rick

Re: How many rounds do you shoot a year?

1) Around 4500-5000 rounds a year (wish it were double that...); various calibers and weapons.
2) Yes, all rounds fired get recorded.

-Dylan

Average around 400 rnds per month. I log everything except .223.

Primarily .308 and .338 as of late but I'm trying to shoot more .223 to keep ammo costs down. 338 in particular I think would eat cheaper optics for lunch.

I try to shoot at least once a week, so I'm probably not considered all that serious.

How many rounds depends on what I'm shooting that day. I'll only fire 30 rounds with the 50, but I'll go through 200 rounds with an AR or M1A. Last time I shot my .22 I went through 1100 rounds.

I see people show up, shoot 10 rounds, and haul everything back to their car. Never quite understood that.

I probably shoot 2-3K rounds a year with rifle and pistol. Probaly another 5-6K in Class III weapons, maybe more hard to keep track.

Pistol 12,000 rounds
Rifle 4,000 rounds

I have a feeling that Pistol rounds will go down and rifle rounds up this year.

Only record precision rifle rounds.

I usually re-barrel once a year. The idea behind the scope purchase is its a once in a lifetime thing. Most of the top tier scopes have a lifetime warranty and last that long! Their cost in comparison to ammo, barrels, competition fees, traveling, etc. pales unless you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year.

5-6000 centerfire rifle and don't track handgun or rimfire.
I log bolt gun rounds and M1A, LMT MWS and RRA varminter rounds.

Before I had kids:
Centerfire 18k / year
Rimfire 5k

3 kids later
Centerfire 2k
Rimfire 200 rounds

Not quite where I need to be! This year I hope to do much more.

Paul

I am probably around 2-3k rifle rounds and I hope to have close to 35-40k dry fires this year.

12K a year, not including rimfire or handgun. Rimfire and handguns are usually things I shoot when I'm waiting for my barrel to cool off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am probably around 2-3k rifle rounds and I hope to have close to 35-40k dry fires this year.</div></div>

Why the dry fires ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elohim1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am probably around 2-3k rifle rounds and I hope to have close to 35-40k dry fires this year.</div></div>

Why the dry fires ? </div></div>

Seriously?

Fundamentals.

About 10K rounds last year in all my guns. The only ones I log are my long range precision rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metonymy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not. Nearly. Enough.

</div></div>

Well said, I could not agree more.

On track for 5-6k this year in precision rifle rounds.

as of today, I am at 2,683 rds of various rifle, shotgun and pistol, so far this year.

However many rounds of 308 fit in a 5 gallon bucket..... thats where I am since last year. I have a 5gal bucket of brass in my gun room.... its sure heavy
smile.gif

Probably another 2000 rounds in other calibers combined.

Annual average is 20,000 .22lr, 1,200 308 MATCH, 4,000 5.56x45mm, 6,000 9mm and 5,000 12 gauge.
I do love my .22 trainers.
grin.gif

Fortunately I have a 100 yard range at the house and try to shoot the trainers every day after work. (Weather permitting)
Having a super high end match rig is great, but it won't hold a candle to the pure marksmanship of what shooting frequently with a quality trainer working on technique.

Quality glass is important, but it is one place where a small compromise can save you thousands of dollars.
Optics like the Super Sniper, Falcon, Leupold Mark AR, Leupold Mark 4, and Vortex are all solid choices for optics.
They are not a S&B, but they also don't cost over $3,000 either.
I think that folks sometimes forget that rifle scopes are intended to allow for the precise engagement of targets and to have enough clarity to positively identify them.
They are not being used for bird watching or photography.
Having that type of resolution & clarity is nice, but certainly not required to be competitive.
(Hell, who doesn't want to be able to spot their own holes in a target @ 500 yards.)

Personally, I run Leupold Mark 4 optics on my center fire rifles and a Falcon Menace on my .22lr trainer.
With Leupold's Fed/Mil discount I have a tough time spending more when it is such a value and the Falcon was a good choice for a trainer since the ML-16 reticle closely resembled the TMR.

Anyhow, way more than you were asking for, but optics is a place where a lot of folks seem to get wrapped around the axel.

This thread surely explains why its so hard to get ammo sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About four.
I just type like I actually shoot....</div></div>

me too, but 4? thats alot

Wow, some of you guys are pretty serious about your shooting, which is what it takes to get good, and maintain your skils. I'm new to the sport and trying to get enough trigger time as I increase the distances I am shooting at. So far I have been shooting about 80 rds of .308, and 100 rds of .223 a week, for the last 5 months. I will eventually start logging my rounds. Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Rick

MAN oh MAN.

The people around home think I'm crazy with the amount I shoot, but I don't shoot enough to prime some of your rifles!

I record centerfire rifle only, 1901 last year and 1248 so far this year.

I probably average about 500-850rds a year. I shoot when i can, or i would have alot more. If you really think about it depending on what your shooting it's not much. Part of what i shoot is AR15 so i will get trigger happy and feel like plinking. Can go through 100yds easily in a day with that thing.

I try to shoot around 300-500 rounds a month, all from my .338lm or one of my 30-06's, and I dont log my rounds I just keep the targets its much easier and provides enough of a log to learn my guns quarks

I use to shoot around 20000 a year and about half of that was at 600 yards plus.That is when I was working with my 14 year and 7 year old son. That was a lot of work reloading.
Now only shoot 5000 at 600 to 1100 yards. Will be working with my 9 year this year and probably shoot 10000 with him.

Last year I shot ~1000 rounds of 308, just under 1500 223, 800 54R, 800 9mm, 1100 .22 and a couple hundred of various other calibers. Not going to shoot near that much this year though.

I don't think how much you shoot = how much you're supposed to spend on a scope.