• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much water should we drink?

Water will help you LOSE weight, not gain it. There are rare medical instances that can be exceptions to a degree, but those would likely limit performance as well. It flushes out toxins and other crap when you work out, can help you feel better overall and help you lose weight faster and make workouts more productive. It helps you heal too, you can take more punishment and work harder and longer. It's vital for proper bowel movements; too little water equals constipation, and that'll cause bloating and some weight gain I suppose, particularly if lots of meat is eaten. That said, you don't wanna do a weigh in after drinking a ton of water after PT Also, eating your protein a couple days prior, and salads after that, help empty your bowels a little before weigh ins as well IME. In fact, drinking water or having a full bowel just prior to weigh in is the ONLY time that water is going to make you fatter. Trust me.

In infantry AIT, basic really, during summer of 2001 we were told that the "average American citizen is in a constant state of dehydration and they aren't even aware of it", which resulted in us carrying a piece of 550 cord tied to your first button hole on your collar. Every 1qt. canteen you drink, you tie a knot in it. You should have at least 8 knots by the end of the day for any average day, so 2 gallons total. Tough, hotter days you may drink more.

Few guys neglected this and just tied nots to make 'em happy. Saw a few guys fall right the fuck out too. One fell out on a 100' helicopter rappel we were doing. Good thing he fell out BEFORE jumping from the mockup. Belay or no, that's gotta be scarey. Saw a guy die, right in front of me, in full MOPP4, noon time, during July at NTC. He fell out right in front of the Bde. medical tent too, and there was nothing anyone could do. I watched on thermal, and he was cooking up. Had stopped sweating. Very bad.

If you're working out and trying to lose weight, you need to drink a lot of water in this fashion. A healthy diet with the proper intake for your level of activity vs. weight you want to lose will keep you good to go. If you're on, say, long runs or road marches and drinking lots of water, I find those gel packs GNC sells to be AWESOME for balancing the electrolytes and keeping you from losing too much energy. Just great.

Water is key to working out and losing weight. Remember, if you drink caffeine, then you need to compensate by drinking more water. Something like a cup of water per cup of plain coffee, if memory serves. Any diuretic will cause you to feel deydrated because you simply evacuated whatever you drank, drink more to feel better. Too much salt in your diet can make you feel bloated and add water weight, but this is a sodium issue, so reduce sodium and guess what? drinking more water flushes the sodium out.

Oh, I like Evian or Fuji the best, but it's expensive as hell. Nevertheless, it has minerals in it that make it taste much better but also prevent it from being too "dry". "Dry" water, or 100% pure water isn't exactly the best thing to drink I hear. Dasani, Aquafina, etc., they're all dry waters. Look at the label, find one with some minerals in it if you can. If you have to buy water.

Greg: I feel bad for you bro, those VA docs will kill you if you don't find a civilian doctor for at least a good consult. Maybe VA can even give you an outside consult (I got one for my back) if you aren't getting anything resolved there. Personally, I won't let VA operate on me, EVER. I know enough about medicine to know how bad they are (mom's been a nurse since the 70's). Being admitted there scares the shit out of me, it really does. But I bet if you find a good doctor, and you either have or are on someone's insurance, then you could maybe find someone that can assist you better with the CHF and fluid buildup. I know I got MUCH better care going outside the VA on my single worst complaint. Take care either way, wish you the best.

Yes, I've allowed my physical conditioning to slide, and it's clearly a factor. This is another prod in the right direction, thanks much.

Greg
Well us uninitiated certainly are in need of you living a long and fruitful life just to keep us in line!

According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine--one of the popular personal training certification programs--an average of 96 oz of water per day is recommended. More if an individual is in hot climates, takes part in an exercise program, etc.

I am no longer a personal trainer, but still own NASM's course material and took this info from their textbook. I will say that in my own experience, I feel better when I drink enough (which is likely in the 100oz/ day). I'm less sore, sweat a lot during workouts (which I think cleanses your body), and eat less. But I will also admit that drinking that much isn't easy.

There is a good article in the May 2014 SWAT magazine. It is by Pat Rogers who is a well known Firearms Instructor.
In this article his source is The American College of Sports Medicine.
The ACSM recommends 33.8 ounces of water for every 1000 calories in your diet.
For exercise they recommend 13.5 to 20 ounces of fluid 2 to 3 hrs prior to exercising with an additional 5 to 12 ounces at 15 to 20 minute intervals while exercising.
He breaks it down for a day at the range:
"Let's add this up for a day on the range, considering moderate activity on a hot day for a healthy adult male, using average values:
*three liters basic need while sedentary.
*sixteen ounces prior to the range.
*eight ounces every 15 minutes on the range = 32 ounces or 1 liter per hour of actual range work."

of course water can't transform into fat, it helps to lose you weight. As for me i drink nearly 0.75 gallon of water and feel myself comfortable.

<font size='2'><a href='http://www.docstoc.com/docs/12898927/Urine Color Chart for Comfort Stations'>Urine Color Chart for Comfort Stations</a></font><br/><object id='_ds_12898927' name='_ds_12898927' width='630' height='550' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://viewer.docstoc.com/'><param name='FlashVars' value='doc_id=12898927&mem_id=undefined&doc_type=1&fullscreen=1&allowdownload=1' /><param name='movie' value='http://viewer.docstoc.com/'/><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /></object><br /><script type='text/javascript'>var docstoc_docid='12898927'; var docstoc_title='Urine Color Chart for Comfort Stations'; var docstoc_urltitle='Urine Color Chart for Comfort Stations';</script><script type='text/javascript' src='http://i.docstoccdn.com/js/check-flash.js'></script>

I drink a minimum of a gallon a day and up to 2 or more when I am working hard. The only downside is a pee a LOT!!!!
In the beginning when I first decided to drink a gallon a day I was like their is no way I can drink a gallon so I added my BCAA's to it to make my water taste good. That got expensive since I was using a lot and it got to the point where I was drinking a gallon all by itself. Now I usually always have water where ever I go and I have a gallon sitting next to me on the night stand as I type.

Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but the longer potential effect of NOT drinking enough water is a susceptibility to kidney stones. I'm nearing 62, picked up some weight from more sedentary office position, somehow convinced myself that since I'm not exercising as much as I used to, that water wasn't as critical in a less active environment. And that's bullshit thinking boys. Having been to the emergency room twice with Stones is no party, take my word, live vicariously thru my bad thinking. Drink up, there is no downside to it, only good will come from it. As Camelback has told us for years, "hydrate or die".