• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how not to pack a S&B 5-25 for USPS shipping

Someone send me their address and I'll mail you random things from my garage wrapped in nothing but a brillo pad or tactical grout sponge so we can do a before/after analysis of how often the sponge fails.

Someone send me their address and I'll mail you random things from my garage wrapped in nothing but a brillo pad or tactical grout sponge so we can do a before/after analysis of how often the sponge fails.

send to
Bubby Brister
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC

but, i think you'll need some sponge specs first. contact the office of ruminant procurement

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4f2XbOY9kcg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Funny shit.

I'd be a little pissed if I received an expensive scope packaged like that!

got my sotech skid plate from ceylon at deltaoutdoors last week and nearly fell out laughing. classic move, Ceylon! funny, funny guy
and no, the skid plate was not damaged in shipping haha

sponge2.jpg

and thanks for the skid plate!!!

I had someone do that to me on a trade within leupold Mark6 and it got screwed up ( scratched up) and I put return to sender and that blew the deal for me.

Not a very good packing job to be sure but I have to agree, I think we let these companies get away with a little too much I even allowing them to send a piece of glass out like that shitty cardboard box.
I think a company that values its product should at least put them in a nice plastic box like a pistol case with some foam around them. Is that really too much to ask for $3700?!

That my friend is a ambient tactical dehumidification adaptulator. The guy was trying to do you a solid, and keep the moisture level in the box down.

Chip

haven't shot it yet... rifle is getting rebarreled saturday so i'll know next saturday

fwiw, not being completely stupid, i didn't take the seller up on their "$25 shipping and if you want insurance, another $25". As soon as i mailed the check to him, I listed the scope on my USAA firearms ins policy so if anything happened to it (like the seller flaking) i have a no BS insurance. I agree the USPS ins is pretty worthless. But I don't have a problem shipping stuff USPS as long as it's properly packaged.

As a fellow USAA member, I'm not sure I appreciate that. Not sure that's even legal (USAA isn't in the shipping-insurance business), much less ethical.

But back to the topic at hand - I'd be really upset. At least he didn't use steel wool as padding instead of the sponge.

Not a very good packing job to be sure but I have to agree, I think we let these companies get away with a little too much I even allowing them to send a piece of glass out like that shitty cardboard box.
I think a company that values its product should at least put them in a nice plastic box like a pistol case with some foam around them. Is that really too much to ask for $3700?!
I agree with this 100%. Would cost them maybe $30 to have a nice little hard case with foam made to hold it.

As a fellow USAA member, I'm not sure I appreciate that. Not sure that's even legal (USAA isn't in the shipping-insurance business), much less ethical.

But back to the topic at hand - I'd be really upset. At least he didn't use steel wool as padding instead of the sponge.

while i appreciate your concern for people ripping off the company, you should read your valuable property policy before accusing someone of unethical behavior. it explicitly covers items in shipping as long as it is a registered service (i.e. tracking number). it is both legal and ethical.

while i appreciate your concern for people ripping off the company, you should read your valuable property policy before accusing someone of unethical behavior. it explicitly covers items in shipping as long as it is a registered service (i.e. tracking number). it is both legal and ethical.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize. However, I've been a USAA member for decades - I even worked for them at one time - and I can't find any such provision in my USAA VPP, Personal Articles Floater or endorsements.

If what you say is true, then logically, you'd never need to purchase any shipping insurance for something that could be covered under your PAF, and could purchase something (like a scope) from an unknown party, risk-free to you. While a carrier could subrogate in the event of a loss in the situation you presented, I don't see how they could track what could be an unknown shipper down to do so. Do you leave the scope on your policy for as long as you own it, or do you remove it once you take possession?

I've been wrong plenty of times; just ask my wife - but I'd love to see the provision you reference.

ask for doc VPP-P (02-06) 50563-0206 or send me an email (see my sig) and i'll send you a copy. it's at the top of page 3, item #9. it's an open perils policy, which means everything is covered unless specifically excluded. item 9 specifically excludes "Shipping property by mail. However we DO COVER shipment by registered mail or any other traceable delivery method." (emphasis theirs)

"If what you say is true, then logically, you'd never need to purchase any shipping insurance for something that could be covered under your PAF, and could purchase something (like a scope) from an unknown party, risk-free to you." well, that's the whole point of insurance! you're paying for them to take the risk. if everything goes ok (which is vast majority of time), they still keep your premium. but you can only cover furs, silverware, guns (incl scopes), jewelry, fine arts, stamp and coin collections, and musical instruments.

I leave them on my policy for as long as it is valuable, since i still want it covered for loss, theft or damage while at home or shooting matches.

ask for doc VPP-P (02-06) 50563-0206 or send me an email (see my sig) and i'll send you a copy. it's at the top of page 3, item #9. it's an open perils policy, which means everything is covered unless specifically excluded. item 9 specifically excludes "Shipping property by mail. However we DO COVER shipment by registered mail or any other traceable delivery method." (emphasis theirs)
Thanks. That's the doc I read, but the key piece there is that you need to be able to prove that it's your property and prove the value of the property. That's a very high standard when buying from an individual on the internet that you don't know. IE, you need to have a receipt for the item that indicates the date you paid for it, how much you paid for it, where you purchased it, etc. A stub from a Money Order or a PayPal print-out isn't going to work and your claim will be denied. You must provide proof of ownership and value and given the scenario of purchasing a scope from some individual on the internet and never getting it - you won't be protected. Now, if you bought it from a shop and it was lost in the mail or arrived damaged, then the shop would likely have provided you with a receipt upon purchase that would meet the requirements for a claim. However, an individual intent on defrauding you isn't likely to provide you a receipt and you won't be able to recoup in that situation.

I can't buy a $10K diamond ring from some guy on Craigslist, mail him a cashier's check or send PayPal payment for it, then immediately add it to my VPP policy and if I never get it from the individual, expect that USAA will reimburse me for the $10K. A VPP or PAF isn't a fraud or scam protection policy.

"If what you say is true, then logically, you'd never need to purchase any shipping insurance for something that could be covered under your PAF, and could purchase something (like a scope) from an unknown party, risk-free to you."
well, that's the whole point of insurance! you're paying for them to take the risk. if everything goes ok (which is vast majority of time), they still keep your premium. but you can only cover furs, silverware, guns (incl scopes), jewelry, fine arts, stamp and coin collections, and musical instruments.

I leave them on my policy for as long as it is valuable, since i still want it covered for loss, theft or damage while at home or shooting matches.

Yes, that is the point of insurance, but for it to work and result in a successful claim, you must meet the requirements, which will include a receipt and proof of value. I guarantee that a Money Order stub, Cashier's check receipt/stub or a PayPal invoice/page/receipt will not meet those requirements. If you don't believe that, feel free to call USAA to verify.

got my sotech skid plate from ceylon at deltaoutdoors last week and nearly fell out laughing. classic move, Ceylon! funny, funny guy
and no, the skid plate was not damaged in shipping haha

sponge2.jpg

and thanks for the skid plate!!!

Nice one C!