• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How often do your scopes fail?

HKslave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2022
NC
How often have you had scopes fail, break, not hold zero etc. From human error or through no fault of your own?

Jw, i made another thread when i was particularly mad at several pieces-of-shit (multiple) optics which wasn't the best way to go about it, but ive had so much trouble particularly with optics mated with rings that i have resorted to sticking with optics that come with integral throw lever mounts tightened down from the factory (ie. Elcan,acog,agm thermal, aimpoint)

These are usually 1x or 1-4x but even with that i can make good shots out to 6-800 (im thinking mustafa again from American sniper with th 4x ps01 scope making kills at 1000+, at least the way he was depicted)

Heres a few
Optic on rifle in the middle is most reliable by far
IMG_20220427_230430.jpg

Get it? Bc there is nothing there.....

Heh heh

I’ve got scopes on everything from 300 weatherby magnum bolt rifles to 22 lr semi autos. I’ve had one (1) scope fail to hold zero- a 30+ year old Walmart special bushnell sportview. I don’t have a scar, so nothing known to eat optics, and I’m not dragging my rifles behind a pickup, but still just the one failure…

Reactions: lash
I’ve got scopes on everything from 300 weatherby magnum bolt rifles to 22 lr semi autos. I’ve had one (1) scope fail to hold zero- a 30+ year old Walmart special bushnell sportview. I don’t have a scar, so nothing known to eat optics, and I’m not dragging my rifles behind a pickup, but still just the one failure…
My rifles do tend to be abusive themselves along with getting dragged through the woods to kill shit at night. But fortunately i spend enough time testing things that all my failures have been limited to controlled environment test

Also i noticed @lowlight made a thread about a class specifically where scopes were failing to return to zero and gave me some hope that it wasnt just me out here having all these problems. Idk how to do the thread linky thing.

Anything will stay relatively trouble-free if you treat it like a carton of eggs. My guns can get bounced and banged around a bit. I would have mounts come loose until I learned the value of Loctite Blue. I once put a noticeable dent in a good Leupold hunting scope. It never moved zero, but later fogged up because of moisture. I can only guess that it lost its nitrogen because of the damage. I've had a couple others over the years that lost zero by a small amount after being banged around, but they never seemed to move again after a sighting-in correction. I'm in full agreement with you regarding iron sight reliability. A2 sights are what I have on my primary grab-and-go SHTF gun.

Reactions: Gohring65
I've had 2 I know have failed.

One was a cheap Bushnell I think...shotgun scope. On a 3006. Scope was handy and I liked it so we put it on. When I was 13 it was great. Killed a deer. No issues. 14...checked it at the range. No issues. I proceeded to wound 2 deer and completely miss a 3rd. Dad was furious. I was completely upset. I was done. Done hunting.

Told dad he could have that scope for a slug gun he was building.

He had it mounted and bore sighted...thats when they discovered that it was completely trashed. They couldn't even get it to bore sight.

This fall I had a Leupold 2.5-8x36 fail. It won't track for crap. It's also not holding zero. It's been on a few rifles. A 280 and then an inline 50cal. I knew something was off when I checked my zero and the group was like 5-6" when that gun was shooting just under an inch the year before. Chased my tail. Different loads and bullets and sabots. Looked like a shotgun and I couldn't get it to actually zero. Threw a new scope on. I have a load shooting well under moa now. My scope breaking helped me find a better load. Lol. Still gotta contact Leupold about that. I love the 2.5-8x36 and have several on hunting rifles. For my needs, they are great scopes. I've never shot anything outside 100yds. But they need to track and hold zero.

I've had 2 I know have failed.

One was a cheap Bushnell I think...shotgun scope. On a 3006. Scope was handy and I liked it so we put it on. When I was 13 it was great. Killed a deer. No issues. 14...checked it at the range. No issues. I proceeded to wound 2 deer and completely miss a 3rd. Dad was furious. I was completely upset. I was done. Done hunting.

Told dad he could have that scope for a slug gun he was building.

He had it mounted and bore sighted...thats when they discovered that it was completely trashed. They couldn't even get it to bore sight.

This fall I had a Leupold 2.5-8x36 fail. It won't track for crap. It's also not holding zero. It's been on a few rifles. A 280 and then an inline 50cal. I knew something was off when I checked my zero and the group was like 5-6" when that gun was shooting just under an inch the year before. Chased my tail. Different loads and bullets and sabots. Looked like a shotgun and I couldn't get it to actually zero. Threw a new scope on. I have a load shooting well under moa now. My scope breaking helped me find a better load. Lol. Still gotta contact Leupold about that. I love the 2.5-8x36 and have several on hunting rifles. For my needs, they are great scopes. I've never shot anything outside 100yds. But they need to track and hold zero.
Doesnt that make you so fucking mad when you spend all that time and money thinking its ammo but its the fucking scope? I hate that shit

Anything will stay relatively trouble-free if you treat it like a carton of eggs. My guns can get bounced and banged around a bit. I would have mounts come loose until I learned the value of Loctite Blue. I once put a noticeable dent in a good Leupold hunting scope. It never moved zero, but later fogged up because of moisture. I can only guess that it lost its nitrogen because of the damage. I've had a couple others over the years that lost zero by a small amount after being banged around, but they never seemed to move again after a sighting-in correction. I'm in full agreement with you regarding iron sight reliability. A2 sights are what I have on my primary grab-and-go SHTF gun.
I mean i think its ok to have an optic on your shtf gun but its gotta be one you can count on like a acog but always count on the irons more than anything, as u said

I mount somewhere between 20~30 scopes a year. I have had a Burris & Vortex that were bad out of the box.
I have had a few come back because of drops/ falls. Never had issues getting replacements. I have had a few I refused to touch because you know they are trouble.

View attachment 7860416

Can’t weld. Can’t mount scopes. Wont stick with anytbing. Blames everyone and everything else.

Are you a millennial ?

Wait....... it gets better. He is now going to be a Marine SEAL Sniper with his Elcan......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wait....... it gets better. He is now going to be a Marine SEAL Sniper with his elcan
Obvious trolling aside (hopefully) I've seen this same mentality of using a 4x scope to identify and "snipe" at extended ranges with 2 different people who have gone hog hunting with me.

They realized they could not actually identify a hog from some of the smaller cattle and other animals past several hundred meters and that missing a big IPSC gong a bunch on a closed range at 800m doesn't translate well when you can't just indiscriminately fire at everything.

Obvious trolling aside (hopefully) I've seen this same mentality of using a 4x scope to identify and "snipe" at extended ranges with 2 different people who have gone hog hunting with me.

They realized they could not actually identify a hog from some of the smaller cattle and other animals past several hundred meters and that missing a big IPSC gong a bunch on a closed range at 800m doesn't translate well when you can't just indiscriminately fire at everything.

I understand what you are saying. I used a Short Dot 1-4 to get that advantage over a reflex sight. But PID was hard to do further then 300 yards. Especially a person's face.

As for the OP trolling....... I do not think so. That is some kind of special retard.

I understand what you are saying. I used a Short Dot 1-4 to get that advantage over a reflex sight. But PID was hard to do further then 300 yards. Especially a person's face.

As for the OP trolling....... I do not think so. That is some kind of special retard.
Well, God speed to him and his mission. Keeping America safe, from himself.

I count the scopes that lasted not the ones that broke. I also fired a little over 5000 rounds of .300PRC this last 12 months.

Reactions: huggybearuno