• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to build a Jeep CJ7 bug out vehicle.

Yesterday, and today I was working on the antenna mounts. These will go on the rear corners of the Jeep. Even though the CJ7 more closely resembles an M38A1, I'm going for the kind of mounts with the matching units we had on our M151s. The trick is to make them look like the military ones. (even though it's just for a CB radio) I found surplus ones on eBay out in Pennsylvania, but the seller was charging like $90 (each) just for shipping...! WT actual F?

OK, make by scratch it is. Bend, cut, drill, oh, and make a circle (top plate for the matching unit) by cutting straight lines with a grinder (cut off wheel) then rounding it off with another grinder and regular disc. They're not done yet, they're cut out wrong (I need to trim) and I have some cut-outs to make yet... but I got a good start on them. One will have an antenna, and the other will have a whoppie light like they had us put on our vehicles to help prevent crashes when road marching on the autobahn.

14u.png
14v.jpg
14w.jpg
14x.jpg
14y.jpg
14z.jpg
14za.jpg

Cooler temp prevail, and with it not being ninety eleven degrees out, comes progress on the Jeep. However, one project has fallen by the wayside... I will not be doing the little yard cart build. At least not in the near future. Had a yard sale, and sold a bunch of old army stuff a couple weeks back, so now I have this to run around on...
No need to build something. Run to the post office, go get pizza, go to the hardware store for a bolt for the Jeep...
OMG this is the best thing I've bought in years.

309076643_3224954314419706_2568190671560649480_n.jpg

As far as the Jeep itself... I took the windshield back off. It got painted, and the pop out frames are set to go to the glass shop to have glass put in them. I went ahead, and did the roll bar, and hood while I had the spray cans out seeing as it was nice weather.

15b.jpg
15c.jpg
15d.jpg
15e.jpg

Also, I got my new Redhead steering box in, so that got mounted up.
Then I started in on the front fenders. Same as rear, I'm using trailer fenders. Of course the fronts aren't as simple as just plain old round arches... I got flat top ones then made pie cuts in the edges so they could be bent out. Looks like they'll work out pretty well. Went by the local print shop in the next town the other day, and picked up the stickers that will be the flags for the front bumper. They will be rigid, on steel poles at each corner. I've had front mounted flags before on my car and decided against it again, as they sometimes blow sideways at stoplights blocking my view. These will be rigid, (stickers on steel) and always "blowing" towards the rear.

15a.jpg
15f.jpg
15g.jpg

Been a while, but I finally got back out in the garage for a bit here a week ago, then again today.

Had to redo the brackets for the stacks. Figured I'd need some thicker steel once the mufflers came in.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

Did a bit of work on the winch plate today. Wanted the winch low, between the frame rails, behind the front bumper. On an old CJ... that means pushing out the front bumper a few inches. There will be another mount on top for the hole in the top of the frame rail, and another one of those big 3/4" through bolts (each side) where I'm pinching the frame.

15m.JPG
15n.JPG
15o.JPG
15p.JPG
15q.JPG

Was gonna update what I did tonight... and I see I skipped a forum on the last update...

Bumper got finished for the most part a few days ago.

Also worked on shortening the Army truck wipers so they would work with the narrowed, and chopped windshield. They now use Jeep CJ7 ends, and I can buy modern (somewhat) wiper blades.

15r.JPG

15s.JPG

On tonight's instalment of build a CJ7 in your garage... we install the running boards.
Wait... They don't make running boards for CJ7s, just body armor.
Well, if you're a fat old retired cripple, you're gonna need a way to get up in the thing.

15t.JPG

Measure twice... cut (or drill) once. As you can see by the markings, I caught myself just in time.
As you can see, I also didn't make sure to have enough of the right size bolts before starting.
Then I waited til the hardware store was closed before figuring that out...

15u.JPG

Underneath, they go to the body mounts like the ones you can buy.
Oh, that "Measure twice... cut once" thing? Yeah I wasn't thinking about that when I had the welder fab these up for me. I have to move 2 of the body mounts for the YJ tub, so those 2 are off... lol. More welding to follow I guess. Well, they have to come back off for paint anyhow.

15v.JPG

I'm gonna be needing a bit more to make this a user friendly vehicle as a daily driver for an old cripple, so I took a folding step and mounted it to the driver's side running board. It fold down, and pins in place for me to climb in, then up and out of the way when not needed. Normally these are found on the front bumper of an M54 5 ton truck to allow troops to climb up and perform engine maintenance.
Also fabbed up a mount for the 20mm ammo can center console.

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

15y.JPG

Last edited:
I've managed to get a few things done over the last week. I know, it seems to jump around like I'm working with out a plan. That's only because I'm not. I go out to the garage, and it's what can I do (or do I feel like doing) today?

I managed to change over from the JY strikers to the CJ ones, and check to make sure the doors will work. They do. The fit isn't 100% perfect, but they open, and close. The fun part will be making everything work with the top...

Also painted the inside of the tub then mounted the 20mm ammo can that will serve as the center console. 2 bolts to a bracket I made, and 2 more at the rear through the floor. I can still cram stuff under it if I want, and I most likely will.

Holly sniper fuel pump with filters got mounted to the frame in preparation for the running of fuel lines, and wiring harness.

16a.PNG
16b.JPG
16c.JPG
16d.JPG

Then I decided to jump into the wiring harness. Just tired of looking at the box sitting there on the shelf I guess.
Sure hope I don't run out of Amazon zip-ties... lol. Need a new grommet for the rear of the tub though Tried to use the firewall one Painless includes for the older model Jeeps... different size.

16e.JPG
16f.JPG
16g.JPG
16h.JPG
16i.JPG
16j.JPG
16k.JPG

Since I started in on the wiring harness, I figured it was time to get the dash done. Still had some holes to drill for switches, mount the data plates for that military look, and figure out fan / heat controls & the defrost ducts. Still working on how to control the flappers for the heater, but I used CAD (carboard aided design) to make some ducts for where the YJ style defrosters come through the dash. Then they will go to some 900 series 5 ton splitters and (hopefully) onto the windshield good enough to do the job. Not done with the whole dash yet... but a few steps closer.

16l.JPG
16m.JPG
16n.JPG
16o.JPG
16p.JPG
16p.JPG
16q.JPG

Then I got sidetracked, and decided to fix the front fenders where the spot welds were off on the back edges of both inner fenders. You can see from the boogers that my novice welding with my little old 110v flux core welder looks like Ray Charles did it with his feet, but I did manage to stick the metal together. (at least for now) This is why I have enlisted the services of an actual welder for those things when it counts.

16r.JPG
16s.JPG

Decided it was time to fit the roof rack on. It will require adjusting because it came off a modern Jeep, and light mounting tabs welded on as well. The wife (teacher) had some high school kids over to weld the tabs on the front bar to the roof rack, and grill. I have 3 sets of Rigid pod lights for the roof rack, and a set that will shine out from the where factory turn signals where. Also made up some tabs to go on the front bumper for military turn signals. These kids are just learning, so there boogers aren't any better than mine, but it's practice, and they earned some of their required "government hours" by helping a disabled veteran do some work around the house. Also, it's light mounting tabs, so it's not like there's gonna be any high stress to them. Two helped me on the Jeep, and two more did garden work for the wife. Used the golf cart to take the back section to a local machine shop to be shortened. That welding has to be strong. Lights go on the outside edges, and I kept the center of the rack open so I can carry a canoe.

View attachment 276338View attachment 276339View attachment 276340View attachment 276341View attachment 276342View attachment 276343View attachment 276344

16t.JPG

16u.JPG

16v.JPG

16w.JPG

16x.JPG

16y.JPG

16z.JPG

Been busy with the VFW and family crap. Hell, I just got back from flying out to AZ just so I could turn around and drive my stupid sister back to IN because she was leaving her (3rd) husband. 4 days on the road with her was no end of fun... Kinda been out of it too because I lost my service dog Brandy. (after almost 10 years of faithful service) Won't be anymore German shepherd in the background of any Jeep shots... :cry: but here she is in her heyday. RIP old girl.

Sunset in the park.JPG

Sorry to hear about Brandy! And all the “life” getting in the way!

But since dogs and Jeeps go together like peas and carrots, hopefully you see another pup in your future!

Have a great Christmas…. May Santa bring you Jeep parts… and 2024 be filled with shop time and relaxing fabrication projects. Because your Jeep is amazing!

Sirhr

Been busy with the VFW and family crap. Hell, I just got back from flying out to AZ just so I could turn around and drive my stupid sister back to IN because she was leaving her (3rd) husband. 4 days on the road with her was no end of fun... Kinda been out of it too because I lost my service dog Brandy. (after almost 10 years of faithful service) Won't be anymore German shepherd in the background of any Jeep shots... :cry: but here she is in her heyday. RIP old girl.

View attachment 8304424
beautiful dog and pic

Reactions: GUN NUT in IA
So one step forward about 3 back...

As I mentioned way back when I bought this.. I knew that the builder was pretty much a slack-jawed hillbilly. And the deeper I dig, the more I have to fix or replace. Today Steering Column... totally worn out. I knew the steering wheel was 'off center' because apparently Cleetus didn't know how to align one properly. And both the front wheels point in opposite directions because... who needs toe in anyway.. Well, the steering column is total junk. And brake booster is shit. Brake fluid is black. No wonder the brakes didn't work worth a darn.

So new brake booster and master cylinder. Need to redo the steering column... And inside steering wheel is rusted to bits. And I don't trust any of the wheel brakes.

Plus still can't find the torque converter. Hoping it's still at my engine builder.

On the bright side, dozens of ancillaries ready to fit. Cleaned up and rebuilt. And made a set of bushings for the transfer case levers because I hate floppy transfer case levers and they are always floppy. Machined up a nice set of bushings and pin honed. Slick as can be!

I'll probably know tomorrow if my builder has the torque converter... %$#@!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette
Sorry to hear about Brandy! And all the “life” getting in the way!

But since dogs and Jeeps go together like peas and carrots, hopefully you see another pup in your future!

Have a great Christmas…. May Santa bring you Jeep parts… and 2024 be filled with shop time and relaxing fabrication projects. Because your Jeep is amazing!

Sirhr
Already got one, and already spoke to Brandy's trainer.
New pup is only 5 months old (born on Independence day) so still a lot of that puppy energy in her.
We start training when classes are on again after the first of the year.
This is Brandy's replacement Sophie... helping me watch Jeremiah Johnson.

414588171_3550935768488224_2307442555850764169_n.jpg

Better shot.

414697748_3550935681821566_1343462034287505445_n.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody. We're off to go visit Grandpa.

IMG_1610.JPG

Already got one, and already spoke to Brandy's trainer.
She's only 5 months old (born on Independence day) so still a lot of puppy energy in her.
We start training when classes are on again after the first of the year.
This is Brandy's replacement Sophie... helping me watch Jeremiah Johnson.

View attachment 8305472
Make sure you cover her eyes during the wolf scene!!!!

Beautiful pup and may she love riding in Jeeps as much as the rest of us!

Merry Christmas!!

Sirhr

Just a couple of fun pictures...

1704931922482.png

Starting to look a lot better!

1704931963612.png

Custom right hand exhaust... Cherry Bomb. Just decided to weld it all inline rather than use U-clamps. Cleaner.

I was really disappointed that I didn't get my Cherry Bomb stickers in the box ;-) I mean back in the 1980's the sticker was like solid gold! Then, as I was tossing out the second box, out fluttered one lone sticker. I feel better now.

Cheers,

Sirhr