• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to spot .30cal holes half a mile away

Re: How to spot .30cal holes half a mile away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrowhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps: sorry for my spelling mistakes my english is not perfect</div></div>

...but MacGyver spoke perfect English on TV.
smile.gif
Nice work.

I understand the interest in this system and will contribute all info I gather.
But, the system was put together by Arrowhead with the help of a supplier of WiFi systems in his town.

My knowledge of this technology is very limited and I am just starting to play with it.
I think the WiFi system should be compatible with all types of components and only the configuration of these components are necessary.

Yet, the first camera that Arrowhead purchased was not compatible with the IPod for some reason..

My camera is an old Linksys 900W and works with the IPod.

I like the WiFi system because it use components that I already have.
(IPod and routers)

Only the antenna and booster are specific to this application.

When we have everything set up and running, pics/video will be posted with all the specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrowhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps: sorry for my spelling mistakes my english is not perfect</div></div>

...but MacGyver spoke perfect English on TV.
smile.gif
Nice work. </div></div>

So is Ted Nudgent
smile.gif

That is an awesome setup !!

I'm guessing your shooting around Farnham or Mont St Gregoire ?

.3" at 100yd is about .3MOA. Assuming the human eye, in good health and vision, is capable of 1MOA of resolution, it would seem that a minimum of 3.5-4x would be required at 100yd, and ten times that, 35-40x at 1000yd, assuming the atmospheric conditions allowed proper clarity.

Assuming a minimum exit pupil size of 2-3mm for the proper vision, a 40x scope would require at least an 80-120mm objective diameter.

That's under ideal conditions. Magnifications beyond 25x tend to be obscured by minute dust particles in the 1000yd air column, and objectives larger than stated above may be needed in order to collect a proper amount of light.

In my experience, it is possible to see the trace, and then see the target paper ripple as the bullet impacts at 1000yd. With some practice, it becomes possible to call the shot based on the rippling; despite the bullet hole's being too small to actually resolve.

Greg

Thanks for all your replies and input everyone. I have a nightforce scope on my rifle now, and realize that it is all about atmospheric conditions and lighting rather than hardware.

Also, having a backdrop of a sand bank which shows dust is mandatory. NO point shooting into a thicket of trees with the target hanging on one.

If you want to see our last shoot, check out this vid on youtube. Pazzo is filming through his USO spotting scope. Range is approximately 1100 yards. We each got a few hits eventually. About 2 in hits in 6 or 7 shots, longest shot yet by about 300 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQtn6YanoE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, my Sept 2008 issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Sky and Telescope</span> has a review on p36 of Orion's Star Blast 6-inch Dobsonian Astronomical telescope that is very impressive for a $279, 23lb product, and even comes with a dot-scope aiming capability. Set up on a base about 16" in diameter. One of the two provided Plossl eyepieces allows about 75x magnification, and as serious beginner's telescope, I consider it to be a damned good value. Remember, reflectors usually depict their images inverted, but erectors can be obtained aftermarket. The other 25mm Plossl eyepiece allows 36mags over a field of 1.7 degrees (or 102 minutes of angle), and the 75 mag has a field about half that size.

Maybe good enough for 30cal bullet holes at 1000yd, maybe not, but way more precise than most spotters, and at an attractive price; mucho less than the Celestron products. </div></div>

Ive got one of these telescopes except mine is the 4.5 inch and ive got a 450yd range that im gonna try with the R700. The only issue is dragging it around and also the reverse image but ofcourse aftermarket supplies could reverse that. Ill let everyone know how it goes and ill see if I can get pictures. Its not portable but if it works then this 200 dollar spotting scope may be the only option for some. And if you are shooting from somewhere convenient that you dont have to hike too far to get to, then bring this along as it comes with a carrying handle and is extremely light.

Shoot painted steel. Or you can watch the dust kick up behind the target, that takes more experience than steel. You can also shoot rocks, they are pretty easy to spot hits on.

I thought about making a mobile video system with a camera down range with wireless modem and viewing hits with my laptop I just hate taking all the gear to the range so I haven't done anything like that.

get a truck and drive to the targets
LOL

but I have good experience with the Leica Televid APO 82mm