• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How to Suppress AR 5.56 the Most

• Haha
Reactions: AMGtuned
You guys might need to write me a note or something. Lmao
“To the employer of the kind & gentle @darkfader,
DF has a fever 🤒🌡️and a raspy cough 💨💨. He’s also real achy and complains that his arse 🍑 burns when he 💩 . Please excuse him from work for a day or two. You don’t want to catch his cooties! 🐜🐜🐜

Sincerely, The Hide”

Last edited:
I didnt read the whole thread so if this had been said forgive me. Suppressing any semi auto is a balancing act between enough back pressure to be quiet but not too much to unlock early and have port pop. Being a reloader helps because faster powders suppress better. One of my quietest 556s is a 12.5sbr with a rex mg7 556 can on it. I use a h3 buffer to keep it locked as long as possible. The trade off is it wo t run reliably without the can or with weak ammo. Adjustable gad blocks can help but they all carbon lock quickly. Ive also had good luck using longer 30 cal cans to.

People should take the time to read the whole thread before commenting. If it's not worth your time to generate a fully informed comment, why should it be worth our time to consider what you have to say?

The argument about adjustable gas blocks "carbon locking" is eternally stupid reason not to use them for an application like this. When a set-and-forget-it gas block is the right choice (i.e. you never want to have to adjust it again) nobody will know or care if the screw threads seize up.

I had a chance to run a few rounds through the OCM5 today. Wow. A noticeable first round pop with the Gordy Carbine and none that I noticed with the Mk12, but both were very comfortable without ear pro. (I always try without ear pro for a few rounds to get a good sense of perceived noise) I’m definitely happy with it. It also locks up perfectly with genuine Allen Engineering muzzle devices and collars. I may have to explore more Otter Creek offerings.

I had a chance to run a few rounds through the OCM5 today. Wow. A noticeable first round pop with the Gordy Carbine and none that I noticed with the Mk12, but both were very comfortable without ear pro. (I always try without ear pro for a few rounds to get a good sense of perceived noise) I’m definitely happy with it. It also locks up perfectly with genuine Allen Engineering muzzle devices and collars. I may have to explore more Otter Creek offerings.
You should... If you like the OCM5, you'll love the full-size Polonium... It's basically an OCM5 without the reflex chamber, and couple extra baffles. Volume and tone are phenomenal. 👍🏼 The Hydrogens are also extremely impressive.

Reactions: darkfader
338 ultra is the quietest.

Longer barrels help too

Long gas system and adj gas help tok

I’ve gone so far down this rabbit hole and climbed back out so many times. Most cans are more similar than different. I said most but now you do have the flow through equation. If you do your research and obviously you are, once you buy your can you will be good to go.

Food for thought. Most of my AR’S get A5 buffers and if they are gassy uppers they get a BRT tube or Adj gas block. I have started to enjoy direct thread cans as well. It offers a fat first chamber and reduces weight. Buy from a reputable bunch that has been in business for a bit and you should fair alright.
PB

Reactions: joe777
I've gone down the hole twice now since making this thread. First with a banish 30 and second with my aem5 that was approved a month ago. Basically gas system and barrel length is everything from what I can tell. Either suppressor on carbine gas lengths really isn't pleasant without hearing protection, but rifle length gas is awesome. For anyone reading, save yourself time and money and go rifle length with a 6"+ suppressor and you'll have a sweet shooting gun. Mid-length with adjustable gas block ain't bad either.

Reactions: BurtG
1000001952.jpg
1000001953.jpg
1000001954.jpg
1000001955.jpg
1000001956.jpg

Some pics of my last barrel project with the aem5. 18" Faxon government profile with rifle gas length and adj block. Ended up filing metal on the barrel by hand and using shim stock to work with a spare M4 collar I had. Goal was to have a lightweight and quiet barrel setup. Surprisingly the bore alignment worked out perfectly.

The other part of me just wants a direct thread suppressor now so I don't have to mess with muzzle devices and collars.

Edit: but I do believe the aem5 mounting method is superior in durability, lock up, and natural ability to align with the barrel bore.

I tested out the AEM5 on a DD 14.5" mid length gas with regular FSB, and it's somehow quieter than my faxon 18" rifle length with adj block tuned way down to barely cycle. Don't know what to think at this point...

I tested out the AEM5 on a DD 14.5" mid length gas with regular FSB, and it's somehow quieter than my faxon 18" rifle length with adj block tuned way down to barely cycle. Don't know what to think at this point...
What do you mean by tested? Cheap testers suck, expensive ones tell you what a robot would hear.
Human ears are very subjective from person to person and it takes a considerable change to even be detected. Trying to compare with the time it takes to move a suppressor between more so.
You may have changed the tone, and that may be a good thing, it is easy to drive yourself crazy, and in the end note have much to show for it.

I've gone down the hole twice now since making this thread. First with a banish 30 and second with my aem5 that was approved a month ago. Basically gas system and barrel length is everything from what I can tell. Either suppressor on carbine gas lengths really isn't pleasant without hearing protection, but rifle length gas is awesome. For anyone reading, save yourself time and money and go rifle length with a 6"+ suppressor and you'll have a sweet shooting gun. Mid-length with adjustable gas block ain't bad either.
What barrel length ? I don’t know why 16” with rifle gas wouldn’t work if running suppressed 100 percent of time with a “normal” silencer ie not a low back pressure one

What barrel length ? I don’t know why 16” with rifle gas wouldn’t work if running suppressed 100 percent of time with a “normal” silencer ie not a low back pressure one

I take back what I said in that post 100%

Somehow this 14.5" mid-gas is quieter to my ear by a good amount than an 18" rifle-gas with an adjustable gas block.

Maybe some kind of pressure wave/harmonic timing in the barrel?

I was just using my ear so nothing scientific.