• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes How to tell difference between AI Scope Mounts?

Holmes123

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2008
Portland, ME
So I just got an S&B 4-16x50 that I plan on mounting on my AI AE. I decided to get the AI scope mount with 28MOA.

My question is: when I received the mount, it didn't have any marking on it at all (no model number, no nothing). It was wrapped in bubble wrap, with again, no label on it saying the model number or MOA or anything.

AI makes 3 different types of picatinny-rail one-piece mounts (18MOA, 28MOA, and 45MOA).

How do you tell them apart so I can be sure I got the right one? How do stores tell them apart when they're all sitting on a shelf in the warehouse?

Does anyone know?

Re: How to tell difference between AI Scope Mounts?

I've wondered the same thing. I have six of these mounts and none of them are marked whatsoever.

They are all the same ring height though.

Mine are like Kooch's, and don't have anything stamped on it anywhere.

I guess I'll know if I mechanically zero the scope, mount it, and see if it shoots 28 inches high at 100 yards.

Seems like they would run into issues without any markings on it, though. There are also no markings to say which end if forward, which would be annoying if I had mounted it and only then realized that I had the thing on backwards.

Could one of the experts here give us some dimentions to check when we have an AI mount with no markings on it?

OK. Here's the answer.

I emailed Stacey B. over at AI, and here's what he said:

"If you measure with a dial caliper measure inside lower of the ring to the bottom center of the base and then the other one, subtract the two and you will find a 0.039" difference from front to rear."

Note that this is for the AI 28moa mount for the picatinny rail (part #3436).

Thanks Stacey!

welcome and if any has these kind of questions on the mounts and how to determine the models, feel free to contact me, just need the mount in hand, dial caliper and a few minutes.

Stacey,

Do AI make their own mounts or do they subcontract the work out?

The reason I ask is that I used to own a mount by Sports Match and from what I recall, it looks identical to the AI mount.

Regards,

Peter

AI does make their own mounts but over there you will see them being utilized on several different weapons and they may be using the AI mount solution for the system you were running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holmes123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Here's the answer.

I emailed Stacey B. over at AI, and here's what he said:

"If you measure with a dial caliper measure inside lower of the ring to the bottom center of the base and then the other one, subtract the two and <span style="font-weight: bold">you will find a 0.039" difference from front to rear</span>."

Note that this is for the AI 28moa mount for the picatinny rail (part #3436).

Thanks Stacey!

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Dumb question: Should their be more space in the front or the rear??</span>
</div></div>

rear taller than front

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rear taller than front </div></div>

Thanks bud, my PR 5-25x just came in!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaBadAss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rear taller than front </div></div>

Thanks bud, my PR 5-25x just came in!!! </div></div>

Always happy to help out a fellow Jerseyan. BTW- The 5-25 ALMOST fits in an 18MOA mount! Just a tiny bit of contact with the turret housing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaBadAss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rear taller than front </div></div>

Thanks bud, my PR 5-25x just came in!!! </div></div>

Always happy to help out a fellow Jerseyan. BTW- The 5-25 ALMOST fits in an 18MOA mount! Just a tiny bit of contact with the turret housing. </div></div>

I'm using the 28MOA mount and got a couple hairs clearance.

Very welcome, enjoy the new PR and lmk if you need anything else as always.