• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to texture stock like Tac Ops

zx2man

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I love the looks of the Tac Ops rifles. I own a savage 10fp with the Choate stock that looks like a A5. I would like to know what epoxy paint and techniques to use to make my stock look and feel like the ones on the Tac Ops. Thank you.

Re: How to texture stock like Tac Ops

the R+D DIY is what i follwed and I'm happy with my results. Even though the stock is only painted Krylon OD Green it still looks close to TacOps products.

i tried with several epoxys and you should use what the DIY says. i tied devcon in the twin 1oz tubes, looks like JB Weld. it will not hold a peak. i tried adding some fillers, still no luck. i tried Pc7 a two part available at most stores. it was too dry. i hope it was just my sample cause it did not look like what others had posted when they used it. maybe it froze or just got old. not sure, but it did not hold a peak. i used a plastic bag and it would pull up peaks, but they would fall and the epoxy would smooth out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the looks of the Tac Ops rifles. I own a savage 10fp with the Choate stock that looks like a A5. I would like to know what epoxy paint and techniques to use to make my stock look and feel like the ones on the Tac Ops. Thank you. </div></div>

Mike uses Marine Tex. The Marine Tex will look slightly different than Devcon once complete. After masking around the area that you want to texture apply a thin layer first, let it tack up, remove tape and allow to harden. Next day, apply a second layer and dab with a cloth or paper towel to achieve the texture/look your after. Clean up around the edges and let that cure. After the second layer has cured 100% knock down the sharp peaks with a file and lightly sand with fine paper to the desired texture/feel.

Paint accordingly and enjoy.

Slightly off topic, but is there a DIY type method for working with wood? If it doesn't require any real special tools, I'd like to do it to my hunting rifle with a wooden stock.

Ok cool
smile.gif
THANK YOU very much gentlemen. I now feel confident on how to go about this.

*edit* As for as painting my stock is concerned, I have heard good things about Krylon. But I really want to make sure the paint im using will be fairly durable and scratch resistent. Any other suggestions? BTW the epoxy will go OVER the already painted stock, so I have the same contrast as a Tac ops Rifle.

I followed the DIY instructions noted above and here is my result. I used devcon and the stock was then coated with Alumihyde FDE. Rifle is a SPS AAC-SD with B&C light tactical.

IMG_9395.jpg

To pull a texture up on Marine Tex use a sponge...I use the little spongy squares of foam found in boxes of TSX bullets.

Brings up smaller peaks than a kitchen sponge will.

Works like a champ.........

I used Marine tex and learned that if you texture it when its still wet, it will just smooth out in about 20 minutes. I just texturized it every 20 minutes until it hardens up......

Next time, I will mix up the Marine tex, then start the masking of the rifle, Will not even consider applying the marine tex until about an hour after I mix it... Even then I will check it every 20 minutes and keep texturizing it..

Devcon users, did you run into this issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Marine tex and learned that if you texture it when its still wet, it will just smooth out in about 20 minutes. I just texturized it every 20 minutes until it hardens up......

Next time, I will mix up the Marine tex, then start the masking of the rifle, Will not even consider applying the marine tex until about an hour after I mix it... Even then I will check it every 20 minutes and keep texturizing it..

Devcon users, did you run into this issue? </div></div>

I haven't used M.T. for a long time so take my comments with some salt.

That being said I would err to caution about waiting an hour to use it. If its sitting in a cup for an hour its likely you'll find a brick when you return. Resin creates heat as part of the reaction. Its the catalyst. The more resin piled up the more heat and the quicker the reaction. Once it starts its a snow ball.

Its for this reason I mix/apply bedding on a big glass plate. By spreading it thin I avoid the accelerated heat buildup and extend the work time.

Just be careful on how long you let it sit. If it were me id be looking for a thickening agent to stiffen up the goop while still allowing a long work time.

Good ol baking soda is a beautiful thing. Its a trick I learned from my giant scale pylon racer RC plane addiction. If it'll tolerate 30+ G's and 240+mph it'll work on a gun I think.

Hope this helps.

-C

Reactions: camocorvette

Alot of fantastic information here, Thanks for all the input. Ive noticed he trend seems to be to texture the rifle..THEN paint it, which I think look great. But I like the unique epoxy texture finish over a already painted stock, Applying the Marine tex over painted stock,........ do I need to prep those areas?

Or does the resin just stick and hold to anything?

CDixon,

thanks for the info... Plate/Baking soda routine next time...

Buy the way, I love your threads on rifle building... wow. your work is outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Marine tex and learned that if you texture it when its still wet, it will just smooth out in about 20 minutes. I just texturized it every 20 minutes until it hardens up......

</div></div>

Never had a problem with texturing Marine Tex when it's freshly mixed/wet.

By the time I've coated a whole stock with it, it's time to rock and roll, and fast. The faster it can be applied the better. In fact I skip all over the stock with the sponge so it comes out even as the wetter peaks will be bigger than the peaks that result when it's nearly done.

If it's taking you that long for it to start setting up to hold a peak then you are not mixing it correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive noticed he trend seems to be to texture the rifle..THEN paint it, which I think look great. </div></div>

If using anything I've textured with it will cover up the paint so unless you are texturing with a clear?

As far as painting I sand down my peaks to get the texture I want, whipe it down with tack rags, then shoot it with a light coat of color. When the first coat starts to tack up then I shoot it with another light coat of color. Then when that starts to tack up I shoot it with a coat of clear matte, then the same way with another coat of clear matte. Then as that last coat is just getting ready to tack up but is still loose I shoot it with webbing spray. Everything melds into a VERY durable finish that is tough as fucking nails without the webbing paint standing proud of the base coats. The stock will hang for a week before putting metal in it.

That's if you want a webbed stock finish....

I can buy it at my local boat shop just down the road at the marina, or have an ACE hardware order it in.

You want the grey, not the white.

Google is plumb full of it for sale.........

I use truck bed liner spray. Just mask off what you dont want textured and spray away. Couple of quick coats and then spray over the bed liner coating with your desired color of Krylon flat camo spray paint. I follow that up with some of the clear matte acrylic spray to give it a protective coating.
The great thing is that textured bedliner spray also makes the finish non reflective .
Have done countles stocks like this and they hold up very nicley.