• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How to use Q honey badger cherry bomb with Dead Air Sandman S silencer?

jobobjo30

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2020
Hello all,

I just bought a Honey badger which has the default cherry bomb muzzle device as well as a Dead Air Sandman S suppressor and I am wondering if there is any way I can attach that suppressor to my honey badger without having to remove the cherry bomb? I know the Dead Air's keymo mount system is really great, but I also love the cherry bomb and would love to be able to keep it on the gun.

Does anyone know if there is some way I can combine the two without removing the cherry bomb? I know Q sells the Plan B mount, but I did not see Dead Air Sandman S explicitly listed as compatible, so I'm unsure if that would work.

Any answers/solutions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sandman’s KeyMO Mount is permanently attached. Only option is to swap out the Cherry Bomb. I’m not aware of ANY other way to make this configuration work. A machinist may be able to do major surgery on the Sandman. It at that point you’re totally on your own without any warranty.

Sandman’s KeyMO Mount is permanently attached. Only option is to swap out the Cherry Bomb. I’m not aware of ANY other way to make this configuration work. A machinist may be able to do major surgery on the Sandman. It at that point you’re totally on your own without any warranty.
I've seen many videos of it being taken off....do you mean that it's only removable for cleaning and not to be replaced by anything or it physically cannot be taken off?

I've seen many videos of it being taken off....do you mean that it's only removable for cleaning and not to be replaced by anything or it physically cannot be taken off?

It can’t actually be removed per say... the mount can be disassembled for spring replacement or cleaning but the threads are a proprietary non-standard pattern. That’s one of the biggest advantages on the Nomad... ie choose your own Mount setup.

The sandman doesn’t have that Feature.

The only other mount option I’m aware of for the Sandman Is Area419 makes an adapter to use keymo suppressors with their Hellfire suppressor mount system. That won’t help you with the Cherry Bomb.

If your suppressor is a sandman, why the attachment to the cherry bomb? As mentioned, the keymo on the sandman is welded on.

As mentioned Keymo is welded into Sandmans.

You could probably have a company like Ecco machine rework it so it had standard mount threads (1.375x28) for a Plan B Mount. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1020560164695105&ref=content_filter

That said, I don’t think it would be worth it. Either change the muzzle device on the honey badger, or get a different suppressor. The honey badger is known for being light weight and you’re trying to pair it with an opposite (heavy, ultra durable) suppressor. You might want to pair it with a lighter weight suppressor like one of Qs, a Nomad Ti, a YHM Resonator K, Rex Silentium MG7, etc. all of those except the Qs have standard 1.375x28 rear threads to accept a variety of industry mounts and are under 1 lb.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I just bought a Honey badger which has the default cherry bomb muzzle device as well as a Dead Air Sandman S suppressor and I am wondering if there is any way I can attach that suppressor to my honey badger without having to remove the cherry bomb? I know the Dead Air's keymo mount system is really great, but I also love the cherry bomb and would love to be able to keep it on the gun.

Does anyone know if there is some way I can combine the two without removing the cherry bomb? I know Q sells the Plan B mount, but I did not see Dead Air Sandman S explicitly listed as compatible, so I'm unsure if that would work.

Any answers/solutions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
The Cherry Bomb has to go, no other way with the Sandman-S.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
As mentioned Keymo is welded into Sandmans.

You could probably have a company like Ecco machine rework it so it had standard mount threads (1.375x28) for a Plan B Mount. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1020560164695105&ref=content_filter

That said, I don’t think it would be worth it. Either change the muzzle device on the honey badger, or get a different suppressor. The honey badger is known for being light weight and you’re trying to pair it with an opposite (heavy, ultra durable) suppressor. You might want to pair it with a lighter weight suppressor like one of Qs, a Nomad Ti, a YHM Resonator K, Rex Silentium MG7, etc. all of those except the Qs have standard 1.375x28 rear threads to accept a variety of industry mounts and are under 1 lb.

I actually originally bought the Sandman S for overall good reviews and other reasons, then later the same day went to my local gunstore to use the silencer shop kiosk and saw they just got a single honey badger in stock and immediately bought it lol. I understand what you're saying, but the sandman is 6 oz heavier than the Q trash panda, and still only 1.1lbs. Will that honestly make that much of a difference? I feel like while heavier, for all practical purpose 1lb is not gonna be that heavy.

Since the paperwork hasn't been submitted yet, I was thinking of calling silencer shop today to ask if they can swap the sandman for something more like what you're saying. Do you think that's really worth doing? The problem is a lot of the one's you mentioned & especially all of Qs are out of stock, are there any you'd recommend more that are in stock, like the dead air nomad 30 or something?

If your suppressor is a sandman, why the attachment to the cherry bomb? As mentioned, the keymo on the sandman is welded on.
I acknowledge the Keymo seems like a much better mounting system, but I just like the cherry bomb a lot for some reason and like I said above I bought the sandman S in the morning then unexpectedly bought the honey badger later that day, so I just kinda want to keep using the cherry bomb that came with the gun.

However I pretty much don't ever plan on taking the suppressor off the honey badger, so I suppose it doesn't really matter what muzzle device is below it because you won't be able to see the cherry bomb anyways. Would the dead air nomad 30 work with the plan B & cherry bomb, and is it as good as the sandman S (mostly in terms of sound reduction)?

The nomad is quieter than the Sandman. And yes, it will take a Plan B. You could also just buy a Q suppressor that will screw right onto the cherry bomb.

The nomad is quieter than the Sandman. And yes, it will take a Plan B. You could also just buy a Q suppressor that will screw right onto the cherry bomb.
Is it really that much quieter tho? I kinda wanted one made of stellite for durability and i went with the sandman, the nomad 30 uses titanium but will it be that big of a deal?

I'd get the Q suppressors but they're all out of stock. Is the sandman still a good choice or would you highly recommend switching or at least the nomad 30?

I wouldn’t personally be basing my suppressor choice off which muzzle device I like that’ll never see the light of day. Get the can that best fits your needs and don’t worry so much about the brake.

Is it really that much quieter tho? I kinda wanted one made of stellite for durability and i went with the sandman, the nomad 30 uses titanium but will it be that big of a deal?

I'd get the Q suppressors but they're all out of stock. Is the sandman still a good choice or would you highly recommend switching or at least the nomad 30?

Sandman S is a fantastic choice... I actually own three so I’m a little biased. I also have a Nomad. For an SBR I’d hands down pick the Sandman.

The Sandman is Dead Air’s version of a mil-spec durability can. The Nomad is more of a consumer level product.

Sandman S is a fantastic choice... I actually own three so I’m a little biased. I also have a Nomad. For an SBR I’d hands down pick the Sandman.

The Sandman is Dead Air’s version of a mil-spec durability can. The Nomad is more of a consumer level product.

Yeah it'll be for the honey badger. Wouldn't the Nomad be quieter though? Or will it not be that much different? Sound reduction is probably one of the things I care most about. Also will the extra weight of the sandman s practically be an issue with the honey badger?

I dunno I just still really like the cherry bomb for some reason, and the range of mounting options on the nomad I like alot.

The sandman won’t go on your cherry bomb, so that’s out. Yes, the nomad is quieter according to dead air and any number of tests I’ve seen. The only thing that’s titanium in the regular nomad is the rear thread adapter, and the end cap. The rest is 17-4 stainless. There is a new nomad coming out that’s all Ti, but won’t work with your gun due to its barrel length. I’d want whatever I put on a honey badger to be light weight personally. You’re not going to burn down a Nomad. Maybe already mentioned but look into the EA Vox-S. Not heavy and durable, same SiCo rear thread as the nomad.

Still don’t understand your obsession with the cherry bomb. Seems like you don’t either. Lol

theres an ongoing sandman vs nomad thread right now, including a reply by Dead Airs chief engineer (mageever).
read that and you’ll have all the info you need to make that decision.
nomad only uses titanium for front cap, everything else is steel, so it’s steel for all practical purposes.

The sandman won’t go on your cherry bomb, so that’s out. Yes, the nomad is quieter according to dead air and any number of tests I’ve seen. The only thing that’s titanium in the regular nomad is the rear thread adapter, and the end cap. The rest is 17-4 stainless. There is a new nomad coming out that’s all Ti, but won’t work with your gun due to its barrel length. I’d want whatever I put on a honey badger to be light weight personally. You’re not going to burn down a Nomad. Maybe already mentioned but look into the EA Vox-S. Not heavy and durable, same SiCo rear thread as the nomad.

Still don’t understand your obsession with the cherry bomb. Seems like you don’t either. Lol

Is the nomad really THAT much more quiet though? Wouldn't it only be like a decibel or two quieter?

And also I'd want anything on the honey badger to be light weight too, but is 6 oz difference really that noticeable? Granted I've never used or handled any suppressors, I feel like even ~1lb wouldn't be very noticeable at the end of the gun.

I hear everywhere people saying the sandman S is a great choice but for what it sounds like my needs are do you think it'd really be worth trying to ask silencer shop to swap to the nomad?

Is the nomad really THAT much more quiet though? Wouldn't it only be like a decibel or two quieter?

And also I'd want anything on the honey badger to be light weight too, but is 6 oz difference really that noticeable? Granted I've never used or handled any suppressors, I feel like even ~1lb wouldn't be very noticeable at the end of the gun.

I hear everywhere people saying the sandman S is a great choice but for what it sounds like my needs are do you think it'd really be worth trying to ask silencer shop to swap to the nomad?
Quieter than what? You’ve asked this several times. Quieter than the sandman S which you cant use because you don’t want to ditch the cherry bomb?

Quieter than what? You’ve asked this several times. Quieter than the sandman S which you cant use because you don’t want to ditch the cherry bomb?

Yes how much more quiet than the Sandman S? If I end up sticking up with the sandman S I'll ditch the cherry bomb but I'd just prefer not to, or at least like the ability not to

On an SBR in this situation I would rock that Sandman S every single time.
KeyMo mounting system is superior. You can get a Dead Air Key Micro Brake to have a little shorter lighter muzzle device. Or look at the JMAC Customs KeyMo compatible muzzle devices.
I think the Sandman S has the upper hand for back pressure as well - which is important to me, maybe not to you.
Don’t get sucked into such a big decision based on something about the Q muzzle device... looks/cosmetics? Marketing?

On an SBR in this situation I would rock that Sandman S every single time.
KeyMo mounting system is superior. You can get a Dead Air Key Micro Brake to have a little shorter lighter muzzle device. Or look at the JMAC Customs KeyMo compatible muzzle devices.
I think the Sandman S has the upper hand for back pressure as well - which is important to me, maybe not to you.
Don’t get sucked into such a big decision based on something about the Q muzzle device... looks/cosmetics? Marketing?

Thanks for the input! Yeah as silly as it is I'll admit it's mostly just the looks/cosmetics of the cherry bomb I like so much. But the superior sound suppression of the nomad as people are mentioning makes it more of a serious consideration to me beyond just the muzzle device. Do you have any idea if the nomad will be noticeably quieter than the sandman s?

Also will the extra weight of the sandman s make any real difference?

Thanks for the input! Yeah as silly as it is I'll admit it's mostly just the looks/cosmetics of the cherry bomb I like so much. But the superior sound suppression of the nomad as people are mentioning makes it more of a serious consideration to me beyond just the muzzle device. Do you have any idea if the nomad will be noticeably quieter than the sandman s?

Also will the extra weight of the sandman s make any real difference?
I’ve never shot or heard a Nomad, but I do think my Sandman S is pretty darn quiet on most all of my rifle hosts. But primarily sits on an 8.3” SBR in 300BLK and I love it for that role. With subsonic rounds it’s quiet as shit.
I don’t find it heavy at all in that configuration.
You can always use one of the Dead Air E Brake front ends on either Sandman or Nomad, they claim it will reduce 1-2 dB more I think.

I have multiple Sandman S and a Nomad. Between the two it's very hard to hear the difference. I switch between both on my AK as well as my Tavor. They're both pretty comparable but at least on my guns I find the Sandman to have less blowback - especially on the Tavor.

I can’t directly compare sound as I have a Sandman-k and a nomad. But as far as construction, I believe most people will never experience the difference. If you’re the guy that will you probably already know that and know what you need to buy.

You trade some durability with the nomad for decreased weight and adaptability (I.e industry standard rear thread mounts). That being said the nomad has no barrel restrictions, is rated to 300 Norma mag and has a lifetime warranty (note that the sandman series is only rated to 300wm, this is due to the keymo Mount not being tested and proven on calibers greater than 300wm - dead air)

As others have said, if you still have questions about the durability of the nomad just look at what mageever has said or reach out to dead air they will gladly make recommendations for your use scenario. (I know because I spoke with them regarding sandman vs nomad).

I would echo what others are saying regarding choosing a suppressors. First decide what your priorities of use are and choose the best suppressors to fit that role, then decide what mount you prefer and last pick a compatible MD you are kind of working backwards by trying to go from MD to suppressor.

Last edited: