• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 Barreled Action Build

Got a 300WM myself and also trying to figure out stock/chassis
I watched an unboxing video on the brownells mdt, it looked solid so i bought one. After the 10% off and free shipping normally 500 for 360. Sale may still be on.

Has anybody changed a bolt handle on a Howa? I like the factory ones but prefer a big ball style.
I looked into getting the bolt handle machined and threaded for an oversized knob. I emailed Kampfeld Customs and they'll do it for $100 (price the same as the Winchester Knobs on their website), they have three different sized knobs, but they're not a ball. Short Action Customs does bolt knobs as well for the Howa, but I'm almost 100% positive they send theirs off to Kampfeld customs due to the fact that Kampfeld does the bolt fluting for SAC. It doesn't look like Boltfluting.com does Howa bolts. Personally, I like the more oblong knobs, so I'll be sending mine to Kampfeld Customs.

Has anybody changed a bolt handle on a Howa? I like the factory ones but prefer a big ball style.

The bolt handle and ball are supposed to be one piece but several of the barreled actions have come with a removable ball. You might get lucky.

I did see a larger ball which fits over the stock ball. I will post it here if I see it again.

Reactions: jLorenzo
The bolt handle and ball are supposed to be one piece but several of the barreled actions have come with a removable ball. You might get lucky.

I did see a larger ball which fits over the stock ball. I will post it here if I see it again.
I wonder if the KRG nob for Remington could be made to fit, I really like those.

Guys, how about a bit of mentoring please. Would the Howa heavy barrel 26" in 6.5 Creedmoor be a good choice for 1000 yd accuracy...MOA to sub moa groups ? I'd stock it in the KRG Bravo as discussed. My concerns is Howa barrel accuracy. Also...is 26" the right length or is 24" the right length for this caliber.
I've owned a howa 6.5 heavy barrel 24" in multicam for 2 years now. Very acccurate rifle. Actually it was easy to load for, most groups where sub Moa finally settled on 42.6 of h4350 for velocity & Sd I wanted. Internal magazine is 2.830oal

They shoot great! It's easy to get them well under 1 MOA. (I deleted the photo because it was huge and posted twice for some reason).

Last edited:
Quick question...right now, the 6.5CM barreled action that I wanted has shot up in price about $150 since I first looked at it...so, say I bought one of the cheap 308 actions that they have available...would the barrel have any value if I pulled it (without firing it)? Wondering if I’d be able to sell it off to recoup some cost?

Quick question...right now, the 6.5CM barreled action that I wanted has shot up in price about $150 since I first looked at it...so, say I bought one of the cheap 308 actions that they have available...would the barrel have any value if I pulled it (without firing it)? Wondering if I’d be able to sell it off to recoup some cost?

There is some value in training on the 308 before getting it rebarreled. FGMM is cheaper than match 6.5 and you can learn to read the wind and manage its effects on the bullet.

There is some value in training on the 308 before getting it rebarreled. FGMM is cheaper than match 6.5 and you can learn to read the wind and manage its effects on the bullet.

Understood. I already have a 308 though. So just wondering if the barrel can be sold alone? Never done it before, so don’t know...

Reactions: rockmyglock
Understood. I already have a 308 though. So just wondering if the barrel can be sold alone? Never done it before, so don’t know...

The issue is that they are shouldered so besides fortunate happenstance it would take a smith to install. Some people want them still and some want them to practice smithing I’m so there is a market, just not a very lucrative one from all I’ve seen.

The issue is that they are shouldered so besides fortunate happenstance it would take a smith to install. Some people want them still and some want them to practice smithing I’m so there is a market, just not a very lucrative one from all I’ve seen.

And when you can buy a barrel installed on an action for under $300 with Brownell's discounts and free shipping, how much could the barrel alone be worth?

For sure, more people will shoot out a 6.5 CM than a .308.

I understand what you are trying to do but I suspect you're better off paying the extra $150.

Save some money on the stock. The KRG Bravo is looking like the best deal out there. Short action only, unfortunately.

Reactions: rockmyglock
Do they make barreled actions (preferably mini) in 300 blackout? Considering that or a ruger American for a plinker.

The MDT ESS chassis for the Howa long and short actions arrived today.

Exceeded expectations in all respects. More expensive than other options but I'm happy.

Buttstock looked a bit fragile on the website but in reality, it's rock solid.

Picking up the barreled actions later his week.

Final assembly and it's time to go shoot.

The MDT ESS chassis for the Howa long and short actions arrived today.

Exceeded expectations in all respects. More expensive than other options but I'm happy.

Buttstock looked a bit fragile on the website but in reality, it's rock solid.

Picking up the barreled actions later his week.

Final assembly and it's time to go shoot.

Please post some pics when they are all put together. Can’t wait to hear how they shoot.

I handled a newly arrived Howa 6.5 in the KRG bravo. Alot nicer feeling than I expected, a little plasticy but not bad. I liked it. But they want 999$ w/10 round mag, not bad but when you consider you could pick up a barreled action for around 300 on sale then go with either the B&C adjustable which I'm leaning towards or the KRG bravo for 395. Decisions, decisions. Leaning towards B&C (or maybe both B&C and KRG, 2 guns lol)

Got about 900 invested so far with the monopod. Getting close to finishing. It has MDT Brownells addition chassis, and LSS buttstock
20180616_095905.jpg

$300 for ten minutes work makes the separate purchase a no-brainer.

I went with the MDT ESS chassis but the KRG Bravo would have been a much less expensive option.

I ended up with two. You can too.

And when Legacy offers the eight twist .223, Brownell's has them on sale, and KRG starts shipping the Bravo inlet for the short action 1500, I will have three.

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
I've put several short Howa 1500 actions into the Bell & Carlson #2093 (same stock pictured in jackalope's reply), most of which were the 6.5 CM w/24" hvy bbl (before they announced the 26" LR model). These newer actions with their HACT 2-stage trigger are easy to pull the bbls on - all I've done were easier to break loose than most M700 OEM bbls; I've pulled several so I could dial-in the muzzle to thread for brake or mount. EGW & Warne make 20 MOA scope rails for them, and if you're not satisfied with the HACT trigger, Timney makes one that's pretty decent. Have used PTG Stealth DBM in all the Howas I've done - it does take a fairly simple cut with a mill on the projection at the rear of the mag well to allow the AICS mags to fit. Done correctly, you leave a little shelf in that cut to hit the top edge at the rear of the magazine and keep it from being pushed up into the mag well so far that the bolt rubs on the feed lips. It takes about 5-10 minutes with a Dremel to inlet any of the B&C stocks I've used for the Stealth DBM - very easy to do. I've also cut the original bolt knob down in my mill using a collet fixture to hold the bolt body, then running an annular cutter down over the OEM knob. It leaves a stub that's close enough to 5/16 so I can run a 5/16-24 die down over it so a tactical-style knob will fit.

BTW - that's a nice paint job on the B&C #2093 stock in jackalope's reply. I'd like to have the skill & patience to do that nice a job on my stocks...

Last edited:

And when you can buy a barrel installed on an action for under $300 with Brownell's discounts and free shipping, how much could the barrel alone be worth?

For sure, more people will shoot out a 6.5 CM than a .308.

I understand what you are trying to do but I suspect you're better off paying the extra $150.

Save some money on the stock. The KRG Bravo is looking like the best deal out there. Short action only, unfortunately.

Thank y’all both for the reply. I ended up getting a decent deal on a Tikka CTR from the EE here instead. Probably just wring that out before I start throwing money at upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: delinquent pleb
I don't see a Howa inlet option for the Bravo on KRG'S site, just rems and tikka. Am I missing something?

I watched an unboxing video on the brownells mdt, it looked solid so i bought one. After the 10% off and free shipping normally 500 for 360. Sale may still be on.
just ordered a 300 win mag barreled action father day special from Brownells and going with a MDT chassis

Reactions: mystryak
Three barreled Howa actions arrived yesterday. I know. I know. Brownells discounts kept getting better and better.

A few initial comments:

They are seriously heavy barrels. Bluing is dull, not shiny which I prefer. I was looking for cerakote, but these are fine.

Machining is very well done. Bolt slides better than a few of my custom rifles. Trigger is fine right out of the box. Trigger adjustment screws have some kind of insulating foam on them making me wonder if adjusting the trigger voids a warranty. I doubt it actually.

The .300 Win Mag and the 24 inch 6.5 CM have threaded bolt knobs. The 26 inch 6.5 CM has a one piece bolt handle. If this is important to anyone, Brownells might be able to select which you want.

Looks like for around $1,300 with the MDT chassis and around $850 with the KRG Bravo all in you end up with a 1 moa guaranteed, chassis long range rifle. With handloads I hope to do better.

I went with the MDT offerings for these barrels.

I predict these deals won't last for long.

I'm now waiting for the KRG Bravo for the Howa short action and for the eight twist .223 heavy barrels to be available.

Thank you to everyone who helped guide me on this journey.

Three barreled Howa actions arrived yesterday. I know. I know. Brownells discounts kept getting better and better.

A few initial comments:

They are seriously heavy barrels. Bluing is dull, not shiny which I prefer. I was looking for cerakote, but these are fine.

Machining is very well done. Bolt slides better than a few of my custom rifles. Trigger is fine right out of the box. Trigger adjustment screws have some kind of insulating foam on them making me wonder if adjusting the trigger voids a warranty. I doubt it actually.

The .300 Win Mag and the 24 inch 6.5 CM have threaded bolt knobs. The 26 inch 6.5 CM has a one piece bolt handle. If this is important to anyone, Brownells might be able to select which you want.

Looks like for around $1,300 with the MDT chassis and around $850 with the KRG Bravo all in you end up with a 1 moa guaranteed, chassis long range rifle. With handloads I hope to do better.

I went with the MDT offerings for these barrels.

I predict these deals won't last for long.

I'm now waiting for the KRG Bravo for the Howa short action and for the eight twist .223 heavy barrels to be available.

Thank you to everyone who helped guide me on this journey.

totally agree

Howa actually guarantees Sub MOA lol cant wait to finish this bad boy.

The damn Bravo needs to be available already... I'm itching to get one on order...

Ya i probably would have went with a bravo,but i didnt think they were gonna make them in Long Action.

Ya i probably would have went with a bravo,but i didnt think they were gonna make them in Long Action.

Short action only initially. KRG told me the long action is "not out of the question."

I suspect the aftermarket will heat up when there's enough of these actions out there.

If it shoots as well as the internet says, I will be a believer.

Last edited:
Reactions: mystryak
Got a KRG Bravo earlier this week for my Howa 1500, a 24" 6.5CM should be in tomorrow to put into the stock. I have a heavy 308 in an MDT HS3 and just got in the Brownell's MDT stock for the 300WM. For the price, I've been amazed at how well they shoot.

just picked up a 300 wm barrel action and was looking at the trigger group, there is a piece of white form stuff on it what is it ?

Keeps the trigger adjustment screws from inadvertently backing out from recoil/shock.

Are there any plug and play triggers for the 1500 that would actually be an improvement for a novice shooter?

I have a Timney on mine. It's nice, but I didn't have the newer HACT trigger to compare it to.

I've gotten used to Jewell HVR triggers on most of my other rifles, so the HACT seems rather heavy, although all of them I've tried were crisp w/no creep. I've put Timneys on several that I'd re-barreled & stocked in B&C, McM, or Manners stocks, but am going to pull the actuator spring & shorten it on one of the Howa Mini rifles I'm playing with to see how that compares to the Timney on the one I've re-barreled in 6 RAT.

Preparing to load some brass.

Measured the freebore

2.92 Wow!

Weatherbies are know for long freebore but even the 147 ELD M won't reach the lands.

Hoping this doesn't impact accuracy.