• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 Barreled Action Build

Cleaning up the barrels and actions to take these to shoot. Waiting for bullets.

Two interesting observations:

The underside of the bolt is engraved with the last three digits of the serial number. Fit to the action obviously.

The MDT buttstock has a cut out so the bolt can be removed with the cheek rest in the up position. Neat idea.

The question now is will they shoot.

Finally got the threaded 6.5CM in to mount up in the KRG - I wish it was the Sako green, but beggars can't be choosers! Now the *fun* part of deciding on optic and bipod...

IMG_2492.jpg

Also, does anybody know if/when Howa is actually going to change the 223 twist rate to 1:8?

Also, does anybody know if/when Howa is actually going to change the 223 twist rate to 1:8?
Pretty sure they're shipping now, it's just a matter of ensuring you don't get new old stock with the slower twists.

For those with long action builds, anyone going with Boyd's pro varmint stocks? If so, are you planning on having it bedded or is factory stock inlet pretty solid?

For those with long action builds, anyone going with Boyd's pro varmint stocks? If so, are you planning on having it bedded or is factory stock inlet pretty solid?

Can’t speak to Howas specifically, but when I dropped my 308 M70 into a Boyd’s stock it REALLY benefitted from a full bedding job. Took 3/4” off my average groups at 100yds just from the bedding job (consistently in back-to-back, one-variable tests). I was surprised; I’d budget a full pillar and glass bed job with the price of the stock if you go Boyd’s.

Can’t speak to Howas specifically, but when I dropped my 308 M70 into a Boyd’s stock it REALLY benefitted from a full bedding job. Took 3/4” off my average groups at 100yds just from the bedding job (consistently in back-to-back, one-variable tests). I was surprised; I’d budget a full pillar and glass bed job with the price of the stock if you go Boyd’s.

In that case I may just go with the Brownell's chassis. Was thinking the Boyd's would be a much cheaper option but its not looking like it any more.

Just a heads up, KRG website now has the Bravo for the Howa 1500 available in the drop menu, it is on backorder though. I'm still not home, so I figured, what the hell? I went ahead and ordered one in FDE. Price is $429 plus shipping ($20.99 for FedEx ground). Hopefully it ships soon, but even if it doesn't, I at least have my foot in the door.

The Howa's have very long throats much like the Weatherby's. I thought I was in trouble loading mag length until I saw MDT has a metal, AICS style magazine without the binder plate which seats well beyond where my lands are.

Love it when a plan comes together.

Back from the range.

Howa 1500 6.5 CM 24 inch heavy barrel. MDT ESS chassis.

Half moa out of the box. New barrel. No load work. Worn out brass. 110 thou off the lands in standard magazines. New mags on order.

I'm pleased.

Reactions: Chalkeye
I just finished my 300 win mag build. 26 in threaded heavy barrel. I get lucky and received one with a threaded bolt handle. I have the brownells mdt chassis and the mdt skeleton carbine stock. I haven't started reloading for it yet but it was just under 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 shots and hit out to 870 yards on my first range trip. Wade stuteville recommended I contact Matthew Stewart at Stewart rifle for any smithing relating to howas. The ultimate plan is to have the action partially trued by Matt but leaving the threads untouched so I can run prefits. Overall I'm extremely pleased. I am hoping to shrink the groups a bit with handloads though.

Came home to my Bravo waiting for me after a three month underway, went ahead and threw the action into the chassis. Already love the way it looks. Can't wait to get it in there for real and get the scope mounted, and take it out to the range.

Attachments

• 20180721_163937.jpg
    20180721_163937.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 180
Question-I’m looking at the Howa 1500 24” heavy barrel 308 in the $250 range on sale.I have seen the Bergara HMR stocks selling for $350.Would this action fit in it? I was think this setup with a Jewell trigger would be a sweet budget rifle for right around $1000.Thoughts?

I just finished my 300 win mag build. 26 in threaded heavy barrel. I get lucky and received one with a threaded bolt handle. I have the brownells mdt chassis and the mdt skeleton carbine stock. I haven't started reloading for it yet but it was just under 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 shots and hit out to 870 yards on my first range trip. Wade stuteville recommended I contact Matthew Stewart at Stewart rifle for any smithing relating to howas. The ultimate plan is to have the action partially trued by Matt but leaving the threads untouched so I can run prefits. Overall I'm extremely pleased. I am hoping to shrink the groups a bit with handloads though.
I have an 300 barrel action that I am going to place in a MDT also. I am working at hitting steel at 1500+. I was told 208 are the way to go

Came home to my Bravo waiting for me after a three month underway, went ahead and threw the action into the chassis. Already love the way it looks. Can't wait to get it in there for real and get the scope mounted, and take it out to the range.

Good looking setup! I have the 24" threaded barreled action at home, and the FDE KRG Bravo is on a FedEx truck somewhere around Chicago on its way to Virginia.

I have a 25 MOA rail on the way - just need to decide on what scope I can afford.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

Has anyone done a build using the 18.5” threaded 308 actions that’s on sale?

I just got in on the GAP LRHS sale and now I need a new rifle to go with my scope. One of these Howa actions in a bravo chassis seems like the best bang for the buck.

I just got in on the GAP LRHS sale and now I need a new rifle to go with my scope. One of these Howa actions in a bravo chassis seems like the best bang for the buck.
Yes, its pretty sweet. Put one in the MDT/Brownells chassis w/ an XLR stock. A chassis type stock is best if you want to do a budget build because this doesnt come w/ any sort of DBM. The Bravo would be great too.

Good looking setup! I have the 24" threaded barreled action at home, and the FDE KRG Bravo is on a FedEx truck somewhere around Chicago on its way to Virginia.

I have a 25 MOA rail on the way - just need to decide on what scope I can afford.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

I put a 20 MOA Nightforce base on it and put a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 I purchased with my Mil discount. Took it out to the range to get it on paper and see if I could get any decent groups to print. Best three round group I shot using Hornady 168 gr BTHP Match ammo. I have a few other flavors to try later on. After the range session, I took it home and disassembled it to get the barrel threaded, new knob for the bolt, and then get everything Cerakoted. I'm happy that I was able to get these results with a fairly inexpensive build, hopefully I can do better with it once I get it back.

Coincidentally, I'm also in VA.

Cheers,
Brody

Attachments

• 20180726_113930.jpg
    20180726_113930.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 91
That certainly shows promise - I can't wait to get mine setup and get some trigger time on it.

Glad to see other VA. folks on here - I'm close to Charlottesville.

Take care,
Bob S.

My 308 is done. This thing is a tank. Went a budget route to have a good truck gun. Had LRI do the bolt also. Those guys do awesome work.
BD515D91-2F08-4A9C-830B-26F2A0A3DA3D.jpeg

3149A033-00B0-42F7-9590-9F8AF52D531F.jpeg

Reactions: jLorenzo
My barreled action came back from my Gunsmith today, had the barrel and bolt handle threaded. Put a VG6 308 brake and an oversized knurled knob on the bolt. Cerakoted the barrel and action in Black Graphite. The brake, bolt knob and bolt hood were Cerakoted FDE. Put in in the KRG Bravo chassis with my Harris bipod that has Hawk Hill spikes installed. Topped it with a Nightforce standard duty 20 MOA rail, and a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 sitting in Vortex Pro low height rings.

I'm pretty ecstatic how the Cerakote turned out. Can't wait to take it to the range later this week and check on how it does.

Attachments

• 20180812_193417.jpg
    20180812_193417.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180812_193425.jpg
    20180812_193425.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 20180812_193409.jpg
    20180812_193409.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180812_193358.jpg
    20180812_193358.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 172
Good to see some Howa love in here! let me know if you guys have any questions!

I JUST bought a 1500 24" heavy barrel in .308 from Brownells (and ordered a B&C stock yesterday) so I'll come back and ask LOTS of questions in a week or so...

Thanks pirate but the Bravo puts me over budget for this build.

Maybe next year when I add a Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor...

Just bought a 20” HB .308 barreled action a couple of weeks ago, really love seeing this thread. Great options out there for stocks/chassis systems. Unfortunately, the college student budget requires lots of saving and patience..

Building from a Howa barreled action is the same regardless of barrel length or caliber.

What would you like to know?

I just ordered a 20" #6 contour 9.5 twist .308 for 230$ from brownells. Going to shoot the .308 for awhile then rebarrel to 6.5 with a Howage barrel nut setup. Pretty set on a B&C target/comp with the adjustable cheek piece but may go with the KRG bravo.

Now the question is, run CDI bottom metal, get the Legacy Sports setup or something else? (IF I get the Bravo will not be an issue)